Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Safety of After Sell-by date Foods

Here is an interesting article on the safety of using food after the
"seel-by" date, including milk, meat, other fresh stuff and really old
cans of food.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...od?ft=1&f=1053

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Here is an interesting article on the safety of using food after the
> "seel-by" date, including milk, meat, other fresh stuff and really old
> cans of food.
>

> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...od?ft=1&f=1053
>
> Wendy

I'll still go by the dates. I know that my expired canned tomatoes had a
very bad texture. And my bread goes moldy the day after it expires.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
> I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.

Me too. My kids like their bread less grainy then mine so I leave theirs
in the fridge. I live in the sub-tropics and learned the hard way that
bread couldn't be left at room temp for long.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Colt T" > wrote in message
>I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.

I sometimes freeze leftover bread for stuffing. But I won't eat it as is.
For me the texture changes too much.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Colt T" > wrote in message
>> I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.

> Me too. My kids like their bread less grainy then mine so I leave theirs
> in the fridge. I live in the sub-tropics and learned the hard way that
> bread couldn't be left at room temp for long.

Here, I only seem to have a problem when it's really rainy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Colt T" > wrote in message
: ...
: >I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.

: I sometimes freeze leftover bread for stuffing. But I won't eat it as is.
: For me the texture changes too much.

I almost always freeze the low carb bread as itis not alwasy in the stores
so i like to have some in reserve. It also keeps well inthe fridge, which
surprised me as it is saidin advice columns that you shouldn't refrigerate
bread because it doesn't help. I don't find this advice to be true for
the low carb breads, at least.

I also keep canned goods way beyond the pull dates and have not found any
problems or real change in texture.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Colt T" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.
>
> : I sometimes freeze leftover bread for stuffing. But I won't eat it as
> is.
> : For me the texture changes too much.
>
> I almost always freeze the low carb bread as itis not alwasy in the stores
> so i like to have some in reserve. It also keeps well inthe fridge, which
> surprised me as it is saidin advice columns that you shouldn't refrigerate
> bread because it doesn't help. I don't find this advice to be true for
> the low carb breads, at least.
>
> I also keep canned goods way beyond the pull dates and have not found any
> problems or real change in texture.
>
> Wendy

The low carb store here keeps the low carb bread frozen. But I have never
tried it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove > wrote:
: >
: > : "Colt T" > wrote in message
: > : ...
[...]

Wow, a low carb store!! I wish we had something like that in my
neighborhood. Once low carb diets went out of fashion much of the great
stuff that had been available just disappeared evcept for the pitas and
the occasional bread.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Julie Bove > wrote:
> : >
> : > : "Colt T" > wrote in message
> : > : ...
> : > : >I freeze whole wheat bread and butter.
> : >
> : > : I sometimes freeze leftover bread for stuffing. But I won't eat it
> as
> : > is.
> : > : For me the texture changes too much.
> : >
> : > I almost always freeze the low carb bread as itis not alwasy in the
> stores
> : > so i like to have some in reserve. It also keeps well inthe fridge,
> which
> : > surprised me as it is saidin advice columns that you shouldn't
> refrigerate
> : > bread because it doesn't help. I don't find this advice to be true
> for
> : > the low carb breads, at least.
> : >
> : > I also keep canned goods way beyond the pull dates and have not found
> any
> : > problems or real change in texture.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> : The low carb store here keeps the low carb bread frozen. But I have
> never
> : tried it.
>
> Wow, a low carb store!! I wish we had something like that in my
> neighborhood. Once low carb diets went out of fashion much of the great
> stuff that had been available just disappeared evcept for the pitas and
> the occasional bread.

It's a weird store. Low carb plus gluten free. They have nothing we would
buy in the low carb section. It's almost all loaded with soy. They do have
fauxtatoes.