Member

Default What are my best options for packaging foods to sell to health food stores?

I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a good source to buy these products from?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 4:08*am, loupurdie <loupurdie.
> wrote:
> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?

Find our what local, state, and federal requirements apply.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 4:08*am, loupurdie <loupurdie.
> wrote:
> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?
>
> --
> loupurdie

Do your own research. You're starting your own business. If you want
my help, I want royalties.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 21, 1:08*am, loupurdie <loupurdie.
> wrote:
> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?
>
> --
> loupurdie

You had best do your research. You will need to comply with local
and state and federal regulations for producing a food product and
packaging. You will need a business license and a health department
inspected commercial kitchen, for starters.

Good luck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 3:08*am, loupurdie <loupurdie.
> wrote:
> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?
>
> --
> loupurdie

What you need to do is check with your state Department of Agriculture
to find out what their requirements are - don't even start without
doing that check first. You may find that farmers' markets may be
more to your liking because of food regulations.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 1:08*am, loupurdie <loupurdie.
> wrote:
> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?
>
> --
> loupurdie

I suggest you try to understand the business first. If you're not
already aware that packaging crackers in resealable bags doesn't work
then you're in trouble. Just buy a pack of crackers off the shelf and
you'll see that the plastic used is different to ziplock type bags.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

loupurdie wrote:

> I am starting my own business selling prepared foods to health food
> stores. A number of the things that I want to sell are going to need to
> be packaged in sealed plastic bags (e.g. flax crackers, etc.). In order
> to do this, do I need to buy my own sealer as well as the bags? Can I
> just buy bags with that are already resealable? Can anyone suggest a
> good source to buy these products from?

Sealers are cheap and easy to operate. Yes, you want your own.

I haven't bought anything recently from this company,
but they always gave me good prices, products, and service.

http://www.bradleybag.com/

They have a good catalog. Request one from the web site
to see what kinds of products you should be considering.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:

> I suggest you try to understand the business first. If you're not
> already aware that packaging crackers in resealable bags doesn't work
> then you're in trouble. Just buy a pack of crackers off the shelf and
> you'll see that the plastic used is different to ziplock type bags.

Good point. He should make up test batches with whatever
packaging materials he plans to use. He needs to know
whether they will develop off-flavors, etc. Even something
like a self-adhesive label applied to the outside of a
plastic bag may give an off-flavor by diffusion of components
of the adhesive through the bag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 21, 3:50*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Good point. *He should make up test batches with whatever
> packaging materials he plans to use. *He needs to know
> whether they will develop off-flavors, etc. *Even something
> like a self-adhesive label applied to the outside of a
> plastic bag may give an off-flavor by diffusion of components
> of the adhesive through the bag.

Not necessary. This knowledge already exists. Just need to do a
little research.

http://www.richardfisher.com