Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you ready for Halloween?

We usually go all out with the decorating but I just didn't feel like doing
it this year. Especially since after that long dry spell we are now having
a lot of rain.

Last year, Angela was envious of the orange spider webs that the neighbors
had. We just had the plain white. Of course I couldn't find any until
after Halloween and they were marked down quite a bit. We bought purple,
orange and green. And apparently far too many!

I decided to put up some of the decorations after Angela said she didn't
want to. But I did make her put the little pumpkins that she wanted out on
the front step.

I only used one bag of the purple web. It really did stretch quite a long
ways. And I put up all of the huge spiders that we have bought over the
years. I also put up the ghost and pumpkin lights, the black cats by the
door and the bats and the one sparkly purple hanging spider on the Rhodie by
the door. I do have some battery operated things that I may put out on
Halloween night. Or I may not, depending on my mood.

We opted for candy this year since we really have no use for toys any more.
And the last couple of years we didn't get as many kids as we have in the
past. So I wanted to buy something I could eat in case I had hypos. I
bought the same Twizzlers (at least I think they're the same) as I ODed on
last year when I bought them after Halloween. I had a hypo at the dance
studio and wound up eating far too many.

Angela sent her dad a Halloween package and we opened the Twizzlers and put
some in. Then I got into them. They were beyond horrible! I just hope the
kids like them because I sure did not. Not even the plain red ones. There
are some super sour ones in there. Perhaps they damaged my taste buds.
So... No worries about me getting into them and eating them. And once of
Angela's teachers asked that if we had any leftover candy to give it to her.
She took over for another teacher last year and much to our dismay, he was
in the habit of giving out candy to people all the time. He even offered it
to us on parent's night. Angela said he ate quite a lot of it himself. So
the students in this class are accustomed to getting treats. And she said
she could not afford to give out candy like the prior teacher did. So if we
do have any left, I will send it in to her.

I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to make
something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me now that
Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some Halloween
patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That is our
tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had better buy
a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog treats by the
door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by here. When we
lived in military housing it was common for people to walk their dogs on
Halloween and they would get treats too.

So do you have anything special planned at your house?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We are having a party. My son's girlfriend decided that Oct 31st was a
good day for an engagement party as it is the "anniversary" of their
first date. I am leaving the decorating to them. Actually, I am leaving
pretty much all of it to them, lol. Their biggest hurdle will be
removing my dead car from the enclosed carport where they intend holding
the party - at least the hired tables and chairs etc. Problem is, my son
has half dismantled my car, giving bits away to mates and there are
parts pretty much everywhere. He hasn't even rung anyone to come and
pick it up. My house isn't big enough to hold a party inside.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> We usually go all out with the decorating but I just didn't feel like
> doing it this year. Especially since after that long dry spell we are
> now having a lot of rain.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> to getting treats. And she said she could not afford to give out candy
> like the prior teacher did. So if we do have any left, I will send it in
> to her.
>
> I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to
> make something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me
> now that Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some
> Halloween patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That is
> our tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had
> better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
> treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
> here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to walk
> their dogs on Halloween and they would get treats too.
>
> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the neighborhood
kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down to 3 teenagers who
drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids, tweens, etc. go to private
parties now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> to getting treats. And she said she could not afford to give out candy
> like the prior teacher did. So if we do have any left, I will send it in
> to her.
>
> I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to
> make something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me
> now that Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some
> Halloween patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That is
> our tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had
> better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
> treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
> here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to walk
> their dogs on Halloween and they would get treats too.
>
> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out candy
and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle of the
desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get any
witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag of
candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share .

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> [ . . . . ]
> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> [ . . . . ]
>> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

> I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . . ]
> >> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

> > I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

> Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our ranch,
family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back the
end of January.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> We are having a party. My son's girlfriend decided that Oct 31st was a
> good day for an engagement party as it is the "anniversary" of their first
> date. I am leaving the decorating to them. Actually, I am leaving pretty
> much all of it to them, lol. Their biggest hurdle will be removing my dead
> car from the enclosed carport where they intend holding the party - at
> least the hired tables and chairs etc. Problem is, my son has half
> dismantled my car, giving bits away to mates and there are parts pretty
> much everywhere. He hasn't even rung anyone to come and pick it up. My
> house isn't big enough to hold a party inside.

Well the car thing sounds like no fun. And our house isn't big enough for a
party either. That's why we do parties elsewhere.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> [...]
>> make something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me
>> now that Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some
>> Halloween patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That
>> is our tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had
>> better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
>> treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
>> here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to walk
>> their dogs on Halloween and they would get treats too.
>>
>> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

> No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the neighborhood
> kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down to 3 teenagers
> who drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids, tweens, etc. go to

I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last year
but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved here
there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of the
families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And the
many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I think
they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and such.
More and more businesses are doing things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
>> better buy a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog
>> treats by the door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by
>> here. When we lived in military housing it was common for people to walk
>> their dogs on Halloween and they would get treats too.
>>
>> So do you have anything special planned at your house?
>>

> When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
> decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out candy
> and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle of the
> desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
> lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get
> any witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag
> of candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share .

Yes! They didn't seem to do that on Cape Cod or in CA, but in NY it was
warm and I guess because we all lived in 3 story apartment buildings, we set
up things outside so that the kids didn't have to do all the stairs. They
really went all out with the decorations and people played the spooky music.
We'd make our dinner and sit outside.

I tried to do that here. I did actually do it one year and it was warm
enough to do it. But often it is just too cold to do that and this year is
going to be one of those years. Much easier for us to be able to sit
outside than to have to keep answering the door. They always seem to come
when I decide to use the bathroom or something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> [ . . . . ]
>> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

> I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . . ]
> >> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

> > I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

> Ah! Nice!

Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> >
>> > I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

>> Ah! Nice!

> Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
> trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age. The
only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't have
it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly because
she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to buy a new
car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old enough to
drive.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Ah! Nice!

> > Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
> > trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

> No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age.
> The only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't
> have it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly
> because she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to
> buy a new car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old
> enough to drive.

LMAO, remembering when the 'tooth fairy' used to leave a nickel. Now, it's
what? $3?

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
>> > trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

>> No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age.
>> The only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't
>> have it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly
>> because she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to
>> buy a new car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old
>> enough to drive.

> LMAO, remembering when the 'tooth fairy' used to leave a nickel. Now, it's
> what? $3?

Oh man! I hate those stupid kid's shows. Angela watched that one called
Dragon Tails. And in it the dragon lost a tooth and the tooth fairy gave
him a flower. So she was all set on getting a flower for her first lost
tooth. I tried to tell her that only dragons got flowers and humans got
money. She didn't believe this and said that money was soooo impersonal and
certainly the tooth fairy wouldn't do that to her! She used to actually get
angry when people sent her money. She did know that money could buy things
but on some level she wasn't understanding how it worked. She was far older
than she should have been before she figured that out and not for the lack
of trying on *my* part!

So I went to the dollar store while she was in school and got her a little
flower arrangement. She also got some small stuffed animals, a Christmas
ornament, some earrings, and I can't remember what all else. I always kept
one or two things around just in case. Most of what I gave her cost less
than $3.00 but the earrings were much more. Those were an emergency
purchase when I realized that she had 4 teeth loose at once. I got them
from the flower shop that is owned by her friend's mother. I do try to buy
things from her when I can because business has been bad.

Then at some point she began comparing notes with the other kids and then
began complaining that *they* got money while she got actual gifts. I think
by then she was figuring things out. She had only one tooth left to lose by
then and I gave her money. She was not happy about that and then accused
*me* of leaving the money. She did lose all of her teeth early. I am
pretty sure she had all of her permanent ones in by about age 10. And I
think she might already have impacted wisdom teeth. She has been
complaining of pain and swelling in that area. Guess we'll find out on
Friday when we see the dentist.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>> >
>> > I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

>> Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

> Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our
> ranch,
> family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back
> the
> end of January.

Have fun, I would love to go to Burma.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote:
>> >
>> > I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

>> Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

> Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our ranch,
> family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back the
> end of January.

Sounds like a great trip Nick. I envy you and Jun. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]
>>>
>>> So do you have anything special planned at your house?

>> No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the neighborhood
>> kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down to 3 teenagers
>> who drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids, tweens, etc. go to
>> private parties now.

> I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last
> year but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved
> here there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of
> the families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And
> the many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I
> think they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
> decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and
> such. More and more businesses are doing things.

There weren't that many kids in the neighborhood, and really for the last
few years very few TorTers. None in quite awhile now. We live on a street
that pretty dark and also just a high school in the vicinity. Now, I just
lock the gate and that's it. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the
>>> neighborhood kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down
>>> to 3 teenagers who drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids,
>>> tweens, etc. go to private parties now.

>> I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last
>> year but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved
>> here there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of
>> the families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And
>> the many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I
>> think they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
>> decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and
>> such. More and more businesses are doing things.

> There weren't that many kids in the neighborhood, and really for the last
> few years very few TorTers. None in quite awhile now. We live on a street
> that pretty dark and also just a high school in the vicinity. Now, I just
> lock the gate and that's it. :-)

Oh. We have no gate and there is no way to turn our outside lights off.
They are on a sensor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last
>>> year but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved
>>> here there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of
>>> the families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And
>>> the many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I
>>> think they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
>>> decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and
>>> such. More and more businesses are doing things.

>> There weren't that many kids in the neighborhood, and really for the last
>> few years very few TorTers. None in quite awhile now. We live on a street
>> that pretty dark and also just a high school in the vicinity. Now, I just
>> lock the gate and that's it. :-)

> Oh. We have no gate and there is no way to turn our outside lights off.
> They are on a sensor.

I have a 4 foot wrought iron fence around my front yard. Really had to have
it installed a few years ago because the high school kids kept driving their
cars over my yard making a total mess of it, especially in wet weather.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> There weren't that many kids in the neighborhood, and really for the
>>> last few years very few TorTers. None in quite awhile now. We live on a
>>> street that pretty dark and also just a high school in the vicinity.
>>> Now, I just lock the gate and that's it. :-)

>> Oh. We have no gate and there is no way to turn our outside lights off.
>> They are on a sensor.

> I have a 4 foot wrought iron fence around my front yard. Really had to
> have it installed a few years ago because the high school kids kept
> driving their cars over my yard making a total mess of it, especially in
> wet weather.

Ew. They just put trash in my trees here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Oh. We have no gate and there is no way to turn our outside lights off.
>>> They are on a sensor.

>> I have a 4 foot wrought iron fence around my front yard. Really had to
>> have it installed a few years ago because the high school kids kept
>> driving their cars over my yard making a total mess of it, especially in
>> wet weather.

> Ew. They just put trash in my trees here.

Well that sucks too, the little bastids! LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> any witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag
>> of candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share
>> .

> Yes! They didn't seem to do that on Cape Cod or in CA, but in NY it was
> warm and I guess because we all lived in 3 story apartment buildings, we
> set up things outside so that the kids didn't have to do all the stairs.
> They really went all out with the decorations and people played the spooky
> music. We'd make our dinner and sit outside.
>
> I tried to do that here. I did actually do it one year and it was warm
> enough to do it. But often it is just too cold to do that and this year
> is going to be one of those years. Much easier for us to be able to sit
> outside than to have to keep answering the door. They always seem to come
> when I decide to use the bathroom or something.

When we lived in Alaska, the kids walked in two feet of snow...hubby still
sat outside with a big Parka and face paint...sat on our swing next to a
life sized clown...Of course the end of October was still sweater weather in
AK...LOL.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
>>> decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out
>>> candy and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle
>>> of the desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
>>> lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get
>>> any witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a
>>> bag of candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to
>>> share .

>> Yes! They didn't seem to do that on Cape Cod or in CA, but in NY it was
>> warm and I guess because we all lived in 3 story apartment buildings, we
>> set up things outside so that the kids didn't have to do all the stairs.
>> They really went all out with the decorations and people played the
>> spooky music. We'd make our dinner and sit outside.
>>
>> I tried to do that here. I did actually do it one year and it was warm
>> enough to do it. But often it is just too cold to do that and this year
>> is going to be one of those years. Much easier for us to be able to sit
>> outside than to have to keep answering the door. They always seem to
>> come when I decide to use the bathroom or something.
>>

> When we lived in Alaska, the kids walked in two feet of snow...hubby still
> sat outside with a big Parka and face paint...sat on our swing next to a
> life sized clown...Of course the end of October was still sweater weather
> in AK...LOL.

I remember going out in Wichita. We had to wear a coat over our costumes.
I never understood why my mom didn't just come up with a costume that
involved a coat. Like...um...an Eskimo?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
gangs of kids are gone.

Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
> gangs of kids are gone.
>
> Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.

I need to make some plans like that, I think!

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alice Faber > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
> > Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
> > gangs of kids are gone.
> >
> > Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.
> >

> I need to make some plans like that, I think!

There have been years I've turned out all the lights and hoped they
didn't see the glow of the TV in the back room.

I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
poison.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: Alice Faber > wrote:

: > In article
: > >,
: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: >
: > > Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until the
: > > gangs of kids are gone.
: > >
: > > Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.
: > >
: >
: > I need to make some plans like that, I think!

: There have been years I've turned out all the lights and hoped they
: didn't see the glow of the TV in the back room.

: I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
: poison.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

I remember my first year after I married and I gt small apples and litlle
spinning toys for hte kids. The younger ones were delighted, but the
older ones felt a bit gypped(sp?) as they wanted CANDY.
That was before all the razor blade stories that eliminated fresh fruit
from the trick or treat basket.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : Alice Faber > wrote:
>
> : > In article
> : > >,
> : > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : >
> : > > Yup. All ready. I have plans that evening and won't get home until
> the
> : > > gangs of kids are gone.
> : > >
> : > > Normal evening. No highly concentrated carbs in the house.
> : > >
> : >
> : > I need to make some plans like that, I think!
>
> : There have been years I've turned out all the lights and hoped they
> : didn't see the glow of the TV in the back room.
>
> : I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
> : poison.
>
> : PP
> : --
> : "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority
> by means
> : of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
> : - Chris
> Malcolm
>
> I remember my first year after I married and I gt small apples and litlle
> spinning toys for hte kids. The younger ones were delighted, but the
> older ones felt a bit gypped(sp?) as they wanted CANDY.
> That was before all the razor blade stories that eliminated fresh fruit
> from the trick or treat basket.
>
> Wendy

I have given out stuffed animals and rubber ducks. Most seem to love those.
But we always do get a small percentage of adult that I think are just
looking for food! Last year we gave out 100% fruit snacks. They did seem
to love those but we bought too many and had a lot left. As they turned out
they were super sticky to eat and I didn't like them for that reason. The
others I do really like are quite expensive. About $3.00 for 6 of them and
sadly addictive to Angela so I can't bring them into the house.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate bites?

Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates that for
sure are NOT poison..lol

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote ...

I just don't feel right about giving kids stuff that is essentially
poison.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
> bites?
>
> Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates that
> for sure are NOT poison..lol
>
> KROM

Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "KROM" > wrote in message ...
: > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
: > bites?
: >
: > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates that
: > for sure are NOT poison..lol
: >
: > KROM

: Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)

: Cheri

Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
> : > bites?
> : >
> : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates
> that
> : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
> : >
> : > KROM
>
> : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
>
> : Cheri
>
> Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)
>
> Wendy

That's what they have parents for. If they don't want them to have the
candy, keep em home. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Cheri > wrote:
: > : "KROM" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
: > : > bites?
: > : >
: > : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates
: > that
: > : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
: > : >
: > : > KROM
: >
: > : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
: >
: > : Cheri
: >
: > Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)
: >
: > Wendy

: That's what they have parents for. If they don't want them to have the
: candy, keep em home. :-)

: Cheri

My son and his wife, just dole it out little by little so they have a pice
or so each day, so it does sem to last a lifetime:-)

We used t d the sae as no one wants a kid getting sick to the stomach form
a candy pig-out!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Cheri > wrote:
> : > : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : > : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark
> chocolate
> : > : > bites?
> : > : >
> : > : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size
> chocolates
> : > that
> : > : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
> : > : >
> : > : > KROM
> : >
> : > : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
> : >
> : > : Cheri
> : >
> : > Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)
> : >
> : > Wendy
>

> : That's what they have parents for. If they don't want them to have the
> : candy, keep em home. :-)
>
> : Cheri
>
> My son and his wife, just dole it out little by little so they have a pice
> or so each day, so it does sem to last a lifetime:-)
>
> We used t d the sae as no one wants a kid getting sick to the stomach form
> a candy pig-out!
>
> Wendy

We were allowed to eat all we wanted on Halloween when I was a kid, and
never once did any of us have a bad stomach from it. After Halloween was
over, mom would put it all in one pile and dole it out after she got the
pick. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Cheri > wrote:
> : > : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : > : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark
> chocolate
> : > : > bites?
> : > : >
> : > : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size
> chocolates
> : > that
> : > : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
> : > : >
> : > : > KROM
> : >
> : > : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
> : >
> : > : Cheri
> : >
> : > Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)
> : >
> : > Wendy
>

> : That's what they have parents for. If they don't want them to have the
> : candy, keep em home. :-)
>
> : Cheri
>
> My son and his wife, just dole it out little by little so they have a pice
> or so each day, so it does sem to last a lifetime:-)
>
> We used t d the sae as no one wants a kid getting sick to the stomach form
> a candy pig-out!
>
> Wendy

One of my kids used to only eat one piece of candy a day...he wanted it to
last ...he did the same thing with his Easter candy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
> : > bites?
> : >
> : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates
> that
> : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
> : >
> : > KROM
>
> : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
>
> : Cheri
>
> Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)

Some kids, maybe. We were only allowed to go to houses where we knew the
people. And I only ever allowed Angela to go to a few houses. Like 12 at
the most.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Cheri > wrote:
> : > : "KROM" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : > : > why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark
> chocolate
> : > : > bites?
> : > : >
> : > : > Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size
> chocolates
> : > that
> : > : > for sure are NOT poison..lol
> : > : >
> : > : > KROM
> : >
> : > : Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)
> : >
> : > : Cheri
> : >
> : > Ah, but the candy the kids get ic usually enough to last a lifetime:-)
> : >
> : > Wendy
>

> : That's what they have parents for. If they don't want them to have the
> : candy, keep em home. :-)
>
> : Cheri
>
> My son and his wife, just dole it out little by little so they have a pice
> or so each day, so it does sem to last a lifetime:-)
>
> We used t d the sae as no one wants a kid getting sick to the stomach form
> a candy pig-out!

I would usually just get sick once. Most candy is stuff I never liked. So
I would eat the stuff that I did like until I got sick. And it was rare for
there to be anything left that I actually liked.

My brother? He would eat a lot more than I would but he doled it out to
himself in a very stingy fashion. Usually by the following Halloween, he
would still have some left and my mom would make him throw it out.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

todays is mine so had a sliver of Bundt cake and a cup of coffee for
breakfast and later today I will eat some Chinese :-)

on Halloween I will enjoy four fun size pieces of candy over the evening as
its the one time of the year I taste a Butterfinger and a almond joy etc.

the four fun size pieces are consumed in a 4-5 hour period so it does
NOTHING to my BG at all and gives me my fix of candy for the year...

well chocolate doesnt count as candy as I will enjoy that year round

KROM

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> why not hive them something you'd eat as a treat like dark chocolate
> bites?
>
> Ghirardelli or however you spell it has wrapped bit size chocolates that
> for sure are NOT poison..lol
>
> KROM

Truly, it's one day a year. Sort of like birthdays. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> todays is mine so had a sliver of Bundt cake and a cup of coffee for
> breakfast and later today I will eat some Chinese :-)
>
> on Halloween I will enjoy four fun size pieces of candy over the evening
> as its the one time of the year I taste a Butterfinger and a almond joy
> etc.
>
> the four fun size pieces are consumed in a 4-5 hour period so it does
> NOTHING to my BG at all and gives me my fix of candy for the year...
>
> well chocolate doesnt count as candy as I will enjoy that year round
>
> KROM

Happy Birthday Krom, and many more. Sounds like you have it all worked out.
:-)

Cheri