Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ricotta Pie

Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
spoon.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
corn meal.

Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
from oven.

In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)

Spoon the better part of a large container of full-fat ricotta cheese
into the egg mixture, stirring/folding to mix with each addition. At
some point glug in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Add enough
sweetener for your taste. I added in a bunch of powdered erythritol and
then a handful of the fluffy baking Splenda. Taste for sweetness and
adjust as necessary. I didn't make mine very sweet, and it's quite
sophisticated tasting.

Pour the smooth mixture into the crust and return to the oven. Bake
about an hour at 350F and then increase to 375 for about 10-15 minutes.
Or bake as you see fit. The times and temps above are about what I
ended up totalling as it didn't get done as fast as I anticipated. Test
for doneness with a toothpick stuck in the middle of the pie. If it
comes out clean, the pie is done.

When it's done, take it out and let it cool on the counter. Do not
serve until it is room temperature, or cover it and put it in the fridge
when it's room temperature. It's just as good the next day.

I have no idea what the numbers are for this.

Enjoy!

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:09:37 -0400, in alt.food.diabetic, Peppermint
Patootie > wrote:

>Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
>spoon.
>
>Preheat oven to 350F.
>
>Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
>Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
>butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
>corn meal.
>
>Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.
>
>Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
>from oven.
>
>In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
>and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
>would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
>like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)
>
>Spoon the better part of a large container of full-fat ricotta cheese
>into the egg mixture, stirring/folding to mix with each addition. At
>some point glug in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Add enough
>sweetener for your taste. I added in a bunch of powdered erythritol and
>then a handful of the fluffy baking Splenda. Taste for sweetness and
>adjust as necessary. I didn't make mine very sweet, and it's quite
>sophisticated tasting.
>
>Pour the smooth mixture into the crust and return to the oven. Bake
>about an hour at 350F and then increase to 375 for about 10-15 minutes.
>Or bake as you see fit. The times and temps above are about what I
>ended up totalling as it didn't get done as fast as I anticipated. Test
>for doneness with a toothpick stuck in the middle of the pie. If it
>comes out clean, the pie is done.
>
>When it's done, take it out and let it cool on the counter. Do not
>serve until it is room temperature, or cover it and put it in the fridge
>when it's room temperature. It's just as good the next day.
>
>I have no idea what the numbers are for this.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>PP

That sounds good. Does the almond meal make as good a pastry crust as
flour would? I know why the substitution-carbs-but am wondering about
texture and flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
: spoon.

: Preheat oven to 350F.

: Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
: Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
: butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
: corn meal.

: Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.

: Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
: from oven.

: In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
: and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
: would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
: like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)

If you have a microplane for zesting, etc there will be only fluffy
zest with no srings attached.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: Patootie > wrote:

: >Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
: >spoon.
: >
: >Preheat oven to 350F.
: >
[...]

I use walnut crusts at Thanksgiving for my pumpkin pie / It is different
than flour crust, a bit crumbly, but very good. I assume the almond meal
would be much the same. think of it more like a cookie crust than a
flour one.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 22:25:20 +0000 (UTC), in alt.food.diabetic, "W.
Baker" > wrote:

> [...]
>: >
>: >When it's done, take it out and let it cool on the counter. Do not
>: >serve until it is room temperature, or cover it and put it in the fridge
>: >when it's room temperature. It's just as good the next day.
>: >
>: >I have no idea what the numbers are for this.
>: >
>: >Enjoy!
>: >
>: >PP
>
>: That sounds good. Does the almond meal make as good a pastry crust as
>: flour would? I know why the substitution-carbs-but am wondering about
>: texture and flavor.
>
>I use walnut crusts at Thanksgiving for my pumpkin pie / It is different
>than flour crust, a bit crumbly, but very good. I assume the almond meal
>would be much the same. think of it more like a cookie crust than a

Okay, then a bit more crumbly, but I'll bet it tastes better than a
flour/shortening pie crust. I guess I need to rethink some things
diet wise. I know about reducing the carbs as low as possible, but
this substitution had never occurred to me, and it sounds like a good
one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>: >Enjoy!
>>: >
>>: >PP
>>
>>: That sounds good. Does the almond meal make as good a pastry crust as
>>: flour would? I know why the substitution-carbs-but am wondering about
>>: texture and flavor.
>>
>>I use walnut crusts at Thanksgiving for my pumpkin pie / It is different
>>than flour crust, a bit crumbly, but very good. I assume the almond meal
>>would be much the same. think of it more like a cookie crust than a
>>flour one.
>>
>>Wendy
>>

> Okay, then a bit more crumbly, but I'll bet it tastes better than a
> flour/shortening pie crust. I guess I need to rethink some things
> diet wise. I know about reducing the carbs as low as possible, but
> this substitution had never occurred to me, and it sounds like a good

Karen, also this site has some really great recipes mostly from the low carb
newsgroup. Lots of good ideas and recipes.

Cheri

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCar...ng-Recipes.htm

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
> : spoon.
>
> : Preheat oven to 350F.
>
> : Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
> : Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
> : butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
> : corn meal.
>
> : Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.
>
> : Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
> : from oven.
>
> : In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
> : and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
> : would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
> : like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)
>
> If you have a microplane for zesting, etc there will be only fluffy
> zest with no srings attached.
>
> Wendy

Microplane? I'll have to look it up. I have a tool which has about 5
or 6 holes on the curved metal end of it. The holes have sharp edges.
There's a handle on the cutting part with which you pull the cutting
holes over the skin of an orange (or lemon or whatever). Strings of
zest result.

google... google...

http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-400...r/dp/B00004S7V
8

Ah! Now I see what you mean. Here's one somewhat like the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-099873...ef=sr_1_4?s=ho
me-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350499759&sr=1-4&keywords=zester

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Karen > wrote:

> That sounds good. Does the almond meal make as good a pastry crust as
> flour would? I know why the substitution-carbs-but am wondering about
> texture and flavor.

It's a bit more like a graham cracker crust in texture. The flavor is
mildly almondy and not like regular pie crust.

Both taste good but in different ways.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> I use walnut crusts at Thanksgiving for my pumpkin pie / It is different
> than flour crust, a bit crumbly, but very good. I assume the almond meal
> would be much the same. think of it more like a cookie crust than a
> flour one.

I use a lot of chopped walnuts in the stuffing for my Thanksgiving
turkey. My family now loves my low-carb stuffing. It has some bread in
it, but it's low-carb bread. Also much veg, giblets, etc.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,

:
: http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-400...r/dp/B00004S7V
: 8

: Ah! Now I see what you mean. Here's one somewhat like the one I have:

: http://www.amazon.com/Trudeau-099873...ef=sr_1_4?s=ho
: me-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350499759&sr=1-4&keywords=zester

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
The microplanes grew out of wood rasps which chefs were finding very
useful in grating all kinds of things. I love them and it makes it so esy
to use lemon or orange peel, fast grated nutmeg, fresh ginger, etc.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> The microplanes grew out of wood rasps which chefs were finding very
> useful in grating all kinds of things. I love them and it makes it so esy
> to use lemon or orange peel, fast grated nutmeg, fresh ginger, etc.
>
> Wendy

I have a small grater that I use for ginger. Maybe I'll try it for
peels.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > The microplanes grew out of wood rasps which chefs were finding very
: > useful in grating all kinds of things. I love them and it makes it so esy
: > to use lemon or orange peel, fast grated nutmeg, fresh ginger, etc.
: >
: > Wendy

: I have a small grater that I use for ginger. Maybe I'll try it for
: peels.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm
Just be careful to only remove the yellow (or orange) of the peel, not the
bitter white pith under the colored porion which contains the oils adn
flavor.

Wendy

REC: Ricotta and Fig Pie Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 0 21-02-2009 08:45 AM
Leftover ricotta Nancy Young General Cooking 21 12-02-2007 09:00 PM
Ricotta Janet Bostwick General Cooking 5 26-11-2005 02:05 AM
Ricotta Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 21-02-2005 06:13 AM
Rum Ricotta Rum Vicki Story Recipes (moderated) 0 21-01-2005 04:05 AM