Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Ricotta Pie

Amounts will be approximate because I cook more by eye than by measuring
spoon.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cut a few ounces of cold butter into pats and place in a cool bowl.
Pour in a few cups of almond meal. Cut with a pastry cutter until the
butter bits are pretty small and the overall texture is about that of
corn meal.

Pat the crust into a 10" Pyrex pie plate.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or so, until it starts faintly browning. Remove
from oven.

In a large bowl, beat four large eggs. Add a slurp of vanilla extract
and good amount of zest off a fresh orange and stir. Mincing the zest
would be good. I forgot to, and there are strings in my pie. If you
like strings, leave the zest as is. ;-)

Spoon the better part of a large container of full-fat ricotta cheese
into the egg mixture, stirring/folding to mix with each addition. At
some point glug in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Add enough
sweetener for your taste. I added in a bunch of powdered erythritol and
then a handful of the fluffy baking Splenda. Taste for sweetness and
adjust as necessary. I didn't make mine very sweet, and it's quite
sophisticated tasting.

Pour the smooth mixture into the crust and return to the oven. Bake
about an hour at 350F and then increase to 375 for about 10-15 minutes.
Or bake as you see fit. The times and temps above are about what I
ended up totalling as it didn't get done as fast as I anticipated. Test
for doneness with a toothpick stuck in the middle of the pie. If it
comes out clean, the pie is done.

When it's done, take it out and let it cool on the counter. Do not
serve until it is room temperature, or cover it and put it in the fridge
when it's room temperature. It's just as good the next day.

I have no idea what the numbers are for this.

Enjoy!

PP
- Chris Malcolm