Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant turkey "lasagna"

I've been making this lately, and everyone loves it. It is also relatively
"healthy" from just about any POV.

Instead of pasta, I use two eggplants, sliced about 1/4-1/3 in thick. I make
a quick, thick red sauce using a pound of ground turkey and one large can of
crushed tomatoes (plus the other usual components such as olive oil, onion,
garlic, spices). I use varying amounts of ricotta, but probably less than I
would use with a pasta lasagna because of the liquid inevitably exuded by
the eggplant. Two cups is good, but you can use more. I beat an egg per cup
into the ricotta with some grated romano and fresh pepper.

In order to cut down on the amount of olive oil in the dish, since eggplant
absorbs it like a sponge, I spray a couple of shallow baking pans with PAM,
lay out the eggplant slices, and broil them on both sides. This is
sufficient for three layers of eggplant in the large baking dish I use.

I then assemble the whole thing like a lasagne in a baking dish, with the
usual addition of sliced fresh or "regular" mozzarella and some more grated
romano between the layers and on top. I bake it uncovered at 350 or 375
until the whole dish is bubbling and nicely brown on top, probably about
40-45 minutes. Uncovered is key because of the aforementioned liquid. It is
definitely less "solid" than a regular lasagna, but I love it and so do the
non-diabetics in the household. It gives me my lasagna fix w/o the carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Last time I made this I tossed the eggplant slices in a bowl with some olive
oil and used foil in the pan. May be the happiest compromise yet.