Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default BRAT diet no longer being used?

Has anyone else hear this? BRAT being bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast
(some also say tea) to treat diarrhea. The printouts that Angela got from
the Dr. no longer say to do this. It says for her to eat a regular diet but
to cut back on milk and dairy with the exception being yogurt with live,
active yogurt cultures.

I looked it up. Here is one link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet

I know wikipedia is not a really good reference but there are plenty of
others. Most of these sources mention the CRAM diet. And it includes milk!
But mostly they say to eat the normal foods with exceptions being highly
sugary foods, fried foods and spicy foods. They say that the BRAT diet
causes a deficiency in zinc.

The information given to Angela by the Dr. does mention some of the foods in
the BRAT diet and says it is fine to add these things to her regular diet.

The problem? When she was sticking to the BRAT diet she seemed to get
better.

We had a small amount of food left on a fruit and cheese tray that she
bought. There were a few grapes, apple slices and some cheese which tasted
oddly of apples. It was going to expire last night so we ate it. I only
ate a little of the cheese. She ate the rest but really it was a very small
amount. Not even a serving of any one thing. And then she got sick. She
also had that taco pizza which I suppose maybe wasn't actually gluten free.

So has anyone been to the Dr. recently for this? Were you told to eat the
BRAT diet? Not to eat it? When my gastroparesis is really acting up, rice
seems to settle my stomach. I usually just eat that and only that. But I
usually only have to eat it for a meal or two. And then I am better.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

My 2 year old Granddaughter was put on the BRAT diet just a few months ago
when she contracted Salmonella..this was after 24 hours in the hospital with
IV's.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! Angela is getting sicker by the minute. I am going to keep her
home tomorrow and try to get her an appointment with her pedi. They
canceled one of her dance classes on Friday anyway so it's no biggie if she
misses the other one. It's like pilates and that's not something you want
to do with an uncertain stomach.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

She's old enough for Imodium isn't she...? Ask your Dr if you can give her
some.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

when we sick while i was a kid my mom would put us on chicken broth then add
rice if we kept that in both ends, and she kept adding rice and soft
vegetables until after three or four days it was like chicken stew minus the
chicken, last day she added chicken, if we kept that down she would let us
eat normally after that, Lee

Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. They say not to give it to her because she needs to get the bug out of
her system. I did give it to her yesterday though to get her through
school.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
when we sick while i was a kid my mom would put us on chicken broth then
add rice if we kept that in both ends, and she kept adding rice and soft
vegetables until after three or four days it was like chicken stew minus
the chicken, last day she added chicken, if we kept that down she would
let us eat normally after that, Lee

Yeah. But now they are saying that is the wrong thing to do.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i think they don't really know, lol, and yet we pay them for advice that is
constatly changing, Lee

I don't know.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

There's a Norovirus going around Boston. Maybe she's sick.

In any event, if one set of advice makes her sicker and another helps
her feel better, why are you asking which advice to follow?

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't say one made her sicker. Anyway this is an old post and she's over
it now. Now she has an eye infection.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

And on two cruise ships! What a nightmare.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Every time I think of taking a cruise, I think of that and put it right out
of my mind. They were dropping like flies at the dance studio tonight but I
don't know what they were sick with.