Laura

Default Interesting BRAT diet items?

BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
sort of concoction for breakfast...

--

Laura

Dan Goodman

"Laura" > wrote in news:y0LFb.9301$ms2.1031
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
> I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
> eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
> bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
> butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
> for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
> sort of concoction for breakfast...

Are you allowed to fry the banana (using a nonstick pan)?

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or
Dave

"Laura" > wrote in message
| BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
| I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
| eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
| bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
| butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
| for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
| sort of concoction for breakfast...

Bananas baked in the oven with a little brown sugar and lemon juice is
excellent. Try looking for recipes for congee, a rice porridge served for
breakfast.

Laura

can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking of
adding some rice crispies to bananas and kind of breading them..at this
point I am excited by so little..I think rice crispies would be a good sub
for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch tomorrow..going to
have to think about that.

--

Laura

--

Laura

"Dan Goodman" > wrote in message
> "Laura" > wrote in news:y0LFb.9301$ms2.1031
> @fe2.columbus.rr.com:
>
> > BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
> > I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
> > eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for

> > bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
> > butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on

toast)
> > for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
> > sort of concoction for breakfast...
> >

> Are you allowed to fry the banana (using a nonstick pan)?
>

> --
> Dan Goodman
> Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
> Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

Mark Thorson

Laura wrote:

> can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking
> of adding some rice crispies to bananas and kind of breading them..
> at this point I am excited by so little..I think rice crispies would be
> a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
> tomorrow..going to have to think about that.

Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they?
That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.

You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's
why the Sisters invented it. You're not supposed
to stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.

(Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the
right thing right now?)

Mark Thorson

Laura wrote:

> BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
> I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
> eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
> bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
> butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
> for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
> sort of concoction for breakfast...

This web site gives a more liberal view of the BRAT diet
(they say you can have lean meat, fruit, and vegetables),
but they caution this view is not universally accepted:

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...enteritis.html

"The traditional BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast--is
tolerated by the tender gastrointestinal system, but it is not
particularly nutritious. Many, but not all, medical researchers
recommend a diet that includes complex carbohydrates (e.g., rice,
wheat, potatoes, bread, and cereal), lean meats, yogurt, fruit, and
vegetables. Milk and other dairy products shouldn't create
problems if they are part of the normal diet. Fatty foods or foods
with a lot of sugar should be avoided. These recommendations are
based on clinical experience and controlled trials, but are not
universally accepted."

chillled

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Laura wrote:
>

>>can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking
>>of adding some rice crispies to bananas and kind of breading them..
>>at this point I am excited by so little..I think rice crispies would be
>>a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
>>tomorrow..going to have to think about that.

> Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they?
> That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.
>
> You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's
> why the Sisters invented it. You're not supposed
> to stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.
>
> (Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the
> right thing right now?)

Soon you can eat chocolate. In the meantime, how about some nice Cream
of Rice cereal with bananas?

Dennis G.

"Laura" > wrote:

>BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
>I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
>eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
>bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
>butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
>for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
>sort of concoction for breakfast...

What about beverages ? I live on 7-up for 24 hours when enteritis occurs.

Dennis
Laura

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Laura wrote:
>
> > BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
> > I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
> > eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for

> > bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
> > butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on

toast)
> > for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
> > sort of concoction for breakfast...

> This web site gives a more liberal view of the BRAT diet
> (they say you can have lean meat, fruit, and vegetables),
> but they caution this view is not universally accepted:
>
> http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...enteritis.html
>
> "The traditional BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast--is
> tolerated by the tender gastrointestinal system, but it is not
> particularly nutritious. Many, but not all, medical researchers
> recommend a diet that includes complex carbohydrates (e.g., rice,
> wheat, potatoes, bread, and cereal), lean meats, yogurt, fruit, and
> vegetables. Milk and other dairy products shouldn't create
> problems if they are part of the normal diet. Fatty foods or foods
> with a lot of sugar should be avoided. These recommendations are
> based on clinical experience and controlled trials, but are not
> universally accepted."

Very interesting and applicable information.I may begin tomorrow using some
of those suggestions as far as diet. That is exactly what I have. Seeing
another doctor but that is not for a week..sigh..yes they know how bad off I
am..

Laura

Laura

I was thinking if looking at the baby food cereals.. bread by the way does
have some sugar in it..sm amount but some.

--

Laura

"chillled" > wrote in message
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Laura wrote:
> >

> >>can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking
> >>of adding some rice crispies to bananas and kind of breading them..
> >>at this point I am excited by so little..I think rice crispies would be
> >>a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
> >>tomorrow..going to have to think about that.

> > Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they?
> > That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.
> >
> > You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's
> > why the Sisters invented it. You're not supposed
> > to stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.
> >
> > (Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the
> > right thing right now?)

> Soon you can eat chocolate. In the meantime, how about some nice Cream
> of Rice cereal with bananas?

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:22:06 GMT, "Laura"
> wrote:

>BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast
>I need to stay on this for at least 24 more hours..possibly through xmas
>eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for a
>bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add
>butter or anything like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast)
>for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel
>sort of concoction for breakfast...

Just take 3 Immodium AD's and eat something non-fatty/greasy.

-sw
ConnieG999

In article >, "Laura"
> writes:

>Any other ideas?

Rice includes rice cereals, noodles, potatoes (may be lightly salted or
seasoned with broth)
Apples can be applesauce
Toast can be bread or crackers without butter; clear jelly is acceptable
because of the pectin

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.