Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default BRAT diet no longer being used?

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone else hear this? BRAT being bananas, rice, applesauce, and
>> toast (some also say tea) to treat diarrhea. The printouts that Angela
>> got from the Dr. no longer say to do this. It says for her to eat a
>> regular diet but to cut back on milk and dairy with the exception being
>> yogurt with live, active yogurt cultures.
>>
>> I looked it up. Here is one link:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet
>>
>> I know wikipedia is not a really good reference but there are plenty of
>> others. Most of these sources mention the CRAM diet. And it includes
>> milk! But mostly they say to eat the normal foods with exceptions being
>> highly sugary foods, fried foods and spicy foods. They say that the BRAT
>> diet causes a deficiency in zinc.
>>
>> The information given to Angela by the Dr. does mention some of the foods
>> in the BRAT diet and says it is fine to add these things to her regular
>> diet.
>>
>> The problem? When she was sticking to the BRAT diet she seemed to get
>> better.
>>
>> We had a small amount of food left on a fruit and cheese tray that she
>> bought. There were a few grapes, apple slices and some cheese which
>> tasted oddly of apples. It was going to expire last night so we ate it.
>> I only ate a little of the cheese. She ate the rest but really it was a
>> very small amount. Not even a serving of any one thing. And then she
>> got sick. She also had that taco pizza which I suppose maybe wasn't
>> actually gluten free.
>>
>> So has anyone been to the Dr. recently for this? Were you told to eat
>> the BRAT diet? Not to eat it? When my gastroparesis is really acting
>> up, rice seems to settle my stomach. I usually just eat that and only
>> that. But I usually only have to eat it for a meal or two. And then I am
>> better.
>>

> My 2 year old Granddaughter was put on the BRAT diet just a few months ago
> when she contracted Salmonella..this was after 24 hours in the hospital
> with IV's.

Thanks! Angela is getting sicker by the minute. I am going to keep her
home tomorrow and try to get her an appointment with her pedi. They
canceled one of her dance classes on Friday anyway so it's no biggie if she
misses the other one. It's like pilates and that's not something you want
to do with an uncertain stomach.