Old 31-01-2012, 02:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are there foods you've never eaten?

hadn't heard of those... i have eaten chocolate covered grasshppers, but
thats as far as bugdom/food goes for me, another thing i am not interested
in are those foods that include eyeballs of goats/camels, Lee
"RodS" wrote in message ...
On 31/01/2012 2:08 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
nothing that is common because i am far to curious to not at least taste
things, its part of what makes food fun... and there is only a very tiny
list of things i know about that i am not interested in trying, Lee

So you tried Witchetty grubs yet ?

They are sought out as a high-protein food by Indigenous Australians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchetty_grub

Not on my bucket list :-)

"Julie wrote in message
I remember when I was first diagnosed, I had a silly thought. I
thought...
They're going to come out with all of these new candy bars and I'll
never
know what they taste like! And it really was a silly thought because
there
was all sorts of candy out there at the time that I had never tasted.
Nor
had I wanted to.

There is a high school girl at Angela's dance studio who has never eaten
hamburger. I thought this sounded strange. Because they are such a
common food. And then I realized that I have never eaten a Big Mac.
They
just never looked appealing. And I have never eaten blue cheese. It
doesn't look appealing either.

Of course there are all sorts of foreign foods I have never eaten.
Perhaps because I have never encountered them. But there are countless
foods I am surrounded by now that I have never eaten and have never
thought to eat. Many kinds of cake, ice cream, cookies, seafood, some
fruits and veggies. And lamb. I don't think I've ever had that. I
don't
think I've had an Egg McMuffin either. Or one of their fish sandwiches.
Or their chicken nuggets or strips or whatever they're called. And now
they have new chicken bites.

So are there any foods that are common to your area that you've never
eaten?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I'm thinking, i had a cheeseburger, many years ago a filet 'o fish when
there was ONLY a McD's in the town we were in at that time of
day......... and i think i watched someone eat a Big Mac in
1975.............

kate

"Julie wrote in message
I remember when I was first diagnosed, I had a silly thought. I thought...
They're going to come out with all of these new candy bars and I'll never
know what they taste like! And it really was a silly thought because there
was all sorts of candy out there at the time that I had never tasted. Nor
had I wanted to.

There is a high school girl at Angela's dance studio who has never eaten a

Old 03-02-2012, 06:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/30/2012 9:08 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
nothing that is common because i am far to curious to not at least taste
things, its part of what makes food fun... and there is only a very tiny
list of things i know about that i am not interested in trying, Lee

grin, before diagnosis, i would get a call 'where can we find good
(enter type of food here)' and i would happily have a couple of
ideas..... price.......ambience........ and ALL had excellent food quality

i really missed that soon after diagnosis as i had to learn 'food' all
over again on diabetic terms

not long after that, i'm eating at a restaurant and the "lounge
restaurant chef" or the "chief executive chef" were "having me test new
recipes for my opinion............... asking me if i knew how they made
it.............. grin

wait, and my food critic friend, and my poor friend who had to go out at
night and check restaurants for service, quality of food, any 'funky
billing' and such

ahhhhhhhhhhh i was spoiled

kate
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i don't think i could manage grasshoppers and i won't even go
further...... LOL

but, i'm thinking those grubs, rolled in a batter/bread...........deep
fried and served with garlic and............

escargot!

kate

Old 03-02-2012, 06:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

they were like pretezels covered in cholate, not worth the screwing up the
courage for, an anticlimax really, grubs are too close to worms for me so
even garlic and cheese wouldn't get me there atm, but put in the situation i
might try... aligator after all wasn't bad and neither is rattlesnake, Lee

Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/2/2012 11:54 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
i bet you adjusted well and still can find great items whilst staying on
your eating plan... i just love new tstes and i love deconstructing recipes
we eat out, Lee

oh, you have it Lee!!

fortunately, i LOVE spices and......... 'cultural foods'?? for lack of a
better word (versus over cooked roast and veggies cooked to mush with
the standard 1/2 plate of potatoes, some days even with gravy!) LOL

i don't eat as MUCH as i used to, but i eat BETTER every day in every way

now, time to check the N Indian food cooking lessons followed by BUFFET
for $39/head......... 3 hours of lessons, all you can eat and your
choice of wine or beer

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup, that's double what i'd spend on a meal, but think
that's going to be a GREAT lesson! ((we've had samosa's and such from
that restaurant via friends before))

kate
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger wrote in message
i don't think i could manage grasshoppers and i won't even go further......
LOL

ohhhkay, i'll take your word for it (i don't think i could eat them)

escargot is........ slugs in a shell............. i sorta watch the folk
at my table eating them, thinking "Well, That's Fantastic!"

kate

Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/3/2012 10:32 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
escargo is really weird, done correctly i can eat one or two and enjoy but
done badly it will gag me, Lee

ya, one, maybe 2 and i'm more than done with escargot!

it better be done WELL!

kate
Old 06-02-2012, 02:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/30/2012 9:51 PM, pavane wrote:
wrote in message
please how does this answer her question? Lee

It doesn't, nor was it intended to. It was intended to provide an item
of possible interest to any of the newsgroup readers who might have
been curious about varieties of food (for reference, note the subject
title of the original posting.) I was not aware that she owns the
newsgroup or its contents. I am not aware that you do either.

If you feel that the content of this or any newsgroup must conform
to what she, or you, feel is the proper subject matter of a free
discourse please say so. Include your rules of censorship and
penalties for free speech. Shame on you, Lee.

pavane

POOF

gotta love filters
Old 06-02-2012, 02:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/30/2012 9:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Actually I own the newsgroup. I bought it using my Pinecone Research
checks. Seeing as how I only get $3.00 per survey you can imagine how long
it took me to save up for it. But now it's mine, all mine! Bwahahaha! The
power is going to my head!

you go!

kate
Old 06-02-2012, 02:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

You bet, Lee

but, it took me a year or so to 'get back on my feet again'

and...... i'm thrilled, no more bland pre-weighed food that must come
separately (heaven forbid we have a casserole!)

but, i like FLAVOUR in my food

kate