Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What I did with leftover rotisserie chicken

I was in the mood for soup, and decided to try this simple recipe I
had saved. It was not only good it was positively awesome! Hubby
loved it so much he went back for a second big bowl full and told me
to PLEASE make that one again!

MULLIGATAWNY (CHICKEN) SOUP

1/2 c. butter

1 c. diced onion

1 c. diced celery

1 c. diced carrots

1 small potato, peeled and diced

1/2 tsp. curry powder

1/4 c. uncooked rice

6 c. chicken broth

1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes, diced with liquid

2 bay leaves

1/8 tsp. Thyme

2 c. diced cooked chicken

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large pot, melt butter.

Add celery, onions and carrots and sauté in butter for 5 minutes.

Add curry and rice, sauté 1 minute more.

Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme.

Heat to boiling, cover and simmer 25 minutes.

Add salt, pepper and chicken just before serving.

Garnish with parsley.

Serves 6-8.

*********************

(I used one quart of my home made chicken broth and two cups of water
with one Knorr chicken bouillion cube for the rest of the broth)

This was so incredibly simple and so good you can't believe it.

The only thing I might do differently is use a tad more Curry powder,
since we both like it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 11:49 AM, Evelyn wrote:

> I was in the mood for soup, and decided to try this simple recipe I
> had saved. It was not only good it was positively awesome! Hubby
> loved it so much he went back for a second big bowl full and told me
> to PLEASE make that one again!
>

> MULLIGATAWNY (CHICKEN) SOUP
>
> 1/2 c. butter
>
> 1 c. diced onion
>
> 1 c. diced celery
>
> 1 c. diced carrots
>
> 1 small potato, peeled and diced
>
> 1/2 tsp. curry powder
>
> 1/4 c. uncooked rice
>
> 6 c. chicken broth
>
> 1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes, diced with liquid
>
> 2 bay leaves
>
> 1/8 tsp. Thyme
>
> 2 c. diced cooked chicken
>
> Salt and pepper to taste
>

> Directions:
>
> In a large pot, melt butter.
>
> Add celery, onions and carrots and sauté in butter for 5 minutes.
>
> Add curry and rice, sauté 1 minute more.
>
> Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme.
>
> Heat to boiling, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
>
> Add salt, pepper and chicken just before serving.
>
> Garnish with parsley.
>
> Serves 6-8.
>

> *********************
>

> (I used one quart of my home made chicken broth and two cups of water
> with one Knorr chicken bouillion cube for the rest of the broth)
>
> This was so incredibly simple and so good you can't believe it.
>
> The only thing I might do differently is use a tad more Curry powder,
> since we both like it.

thanks Evelyn

Muligatawny soup is one of my favourites, this is a slight variation, so
i'm interested in trying it!

(note taken on increase the curry LOL)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-arhive: yes

On 1/4/2012 9:45 PM, Evelyn wrote:

> My dietician says that the lowest carb grain is barley. I often use
> that in soup, but I think it would require a lot longer cooking than
> is recommended for this particular soup.

Your dietitian might want to look that up. I know that I only tolerate
about a spoonful, and only if it's not all soft and bloated from
overcooking or soaking in soup. From all I've read, since wls requires
so little food consumption, and protein and fat are the only two
essential macronutrients in human nutrition without which you develop
starvation and other deficiency problems, and starches are so nutrient
impoverished and calorically dense, they are typically advised against.
Especially if they take up room that protein, fat and nutrient dense
veggies might otherwise. That's how other folks I know have been told to
eat; protein, enough fat so you don't die or develop disorders, and veggies.

> For yourself, you can simply NOT use the potato or the rice and
> increase the other vegetables you find you tolerate better. I
> imagine a cook as creative as you are will do a great job of
> converting the recipe and finding substitutions!

Sure I can. But I don't see any point in coming to a diabetic specific
newsgroup to find a recipe with much of it's calories coming from rice
and potato. I can find those anywhere folks don't have diabetes. It's
not just me acting out of a desire to control, I take it as a kind of
personal lack of caring for the needs of others. I know that's not your
intent, but I infer a dismissal of the central role of diet control of
diabetes implicit in having a diabetes specific food group.

It's discouraging to me to start reading and realize how many added and
unnecessary carbs are there, and I start thinking that the poster
doesn't care that the recipe is so unfriendly to so many of us.

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:11:53 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>x-no-arhive: yes
>
>On 1/4/2012 9:45 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>
>> My dietician says that the lowest carb grain is barley. I often use
>> that in soup, but I think it would require a lot longer cooking than
>> is recommended for this particular soup.

>Your dietitian might want to look that up. I know that I only tolerate
>about a spoonful, and only if it's not all soft and bloated from
>overcooking or soaking in soup. From all I've read, since wls requires
>so little food consumption, and protein and fat are the only two
>essential macronutrients in human nutrition without which you develop
>starvation and other deficiency problems, and starches are so nutrient
>impoverished and calorically dense, they are typically advised against.
> Especially if they take up room that protein, fat and nutrient dense
>veggies might otherwise. That's how other folks I know have been told to
>eat; protein, enough fat so you don't die or develop disorders, and veggies.
>

>> For yourself, you can simply NOT use the potato or the rice and
>> increase the other vegetables you find you tolerate better. I
>> imagine a cook as creative as you are will do a great job of
>> converting the recipe and finding substitutions!

>Sure I can. But I don't see any point in coming to a diabetic specific
>newsgroup to find a recipe with much of it's calories coming from rice
>and potato. I can find those anywhere folks don't have diabetes. It's
>not just me acting out of a desire to control, I take it as a kind of
>personal lack of caring for the needs of others. I know that's not your
>intent, but I infer a dismissal of the central role of diet control of
>diabetes implicit in having a diabetes specific food group.
>
>It's discouraging to me to start reading and realize how many added and
>unnecessary carbs are there, and I start thinking that the poster
>doesn't care that the recipe is so unfriendly to so many of us.
>
>Susan

I post what I like and what I eat. That's the way it is.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> But if I EVER find out I'm terminal, I'm going right out and eat a fresh
> hot slice of pizza with the crust!
>
> It's been YEARS.
>
> Susan

I'm going to do that, and I'm going to smoke a whole pack of Marlboro. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:34:34 -0500, Susan > wrote:
> >On 1/4/2012 1:49 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> >
> >> (I used one quart of my home made chicken broth and two cups of water
> >> with one Knorr chicken bouillion cube for the rest of the broth)
> >>
> >> This was so incredibly simple and so good you can't believe it.
> >>
> >> The only thing I might do differently is use a tad more Curry powder,
> >> since we both like it.

A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

> >I love Mulligatawny soup, and whenever I've had it in a restaurant, it's
> >paint remover spicey hot! I love that.
> >
> >Great idea for leftovers, and homemade stock is always the best.
> >
> >I'm sure it's delish without the spuds and rice, too.
> >
> >Susan

> One smallish potato cubed over maybe 6 bowls of soup isn't much, and
> the 1/4 cup of rice is barely noticeable. They could certainly be
> eliminated and more veggies substituted, I am sure!
>
> Evelyn

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 7:39 PM, Susan wrote:
> And I'm not about to take drugs so I can eat starch, I'm finally over
> the habit.
>
> But if I EVER find out I'm terminal, I'm going right out and eat a fresh
> hot slice of pizza with the crust!
>
> It's been YEARS.
>
> Susan

oh, then get the cheese stuffed crust

amazing!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Evelyn > wrote:

> A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

Something I haven't used for years, thanks for the reminder Extra
spice without extra heat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 8:11 PM, Susan wrote:
> I know that's not your intent, but I infer a dismissal of the central
> role of diet control of diabetes implicit in having a diabetes specific
> food group.

Susan, with all respect, i have found that everyone needs foods that
vary from what any one individual needs (read, we are all different with
different needs).

The recipe that Evelyn has kindly shared can be modified to suit your or
my needs. If this soup is a starter to a heavier carb meal for me, i
would cut the carbs. If this soup is dinner for me, i would increase
the carbs.

I believe the YMWV disclaimer needs to be applied.

I cannot give the nutrient breakdown as the new computer is 64
bit/byte/whatever over the old 32 bit/byte/whatever........... they
finally broke me and i have to buy new programs!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 9:04 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> My dietician says that the lowest carb grain is barley. I often use
>> that in soup, but I think it would require a lot longer cooking than
>> is recommended for this particular soup.

> Not a huge difference in carb count but considerably lower on the
> Glycemic Index and lower on the Glycemic load which makes it a better
> choice for some diabetics. I personally find that lentils are better
> than barley for me bg-wise.

ohoh oh oh oh

and barley beast stoup made with lentils

oh my, very very good (and yes, barley too, just lower them when you add
the lentils)

all very good food for us

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 8:38 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>
>> But if I EVER find out I'm terminal, I'm going right out and eat a
>> fresh hot slice of pizza with the crust!
>>
>> It's been YEARS.
>>
>> Susan

> I'm going to do that, and I'm going to smoke a whole pack of Marlboro. :-)
>
> Cheri

at the risk of hitting 'radar'

eh, if i'm terminal, here's my Swiss bank a/c info.......... place the
money in there in ADVANCE and tell me what my mission is

may as well make the family rich in the process, and i hear Brazil or is
it?? hmm, some place with no extradition treaties..........

(BLACK HUMOUR FOLKS!)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 6:36 PM, Evelyn wrote:
> I can only suggest that you try it! The basic recipe would be the
> same with more veggies substituted! We both liked it as it was, and
> enjoyed it well with no ill results.
>
> Evelyn

Okra?

just thinkin......... that might be very good in Mulligatawny

hmm, ok, now to find Okra!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/4/2012 8:38 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Susan" > wrote in message
>>
>>> But if I EVER find out I'm terminal, I'm going right out and eat a
>>> fresh hot slice of pizza with the crust!
>>>
>>> It's been YEARS.
>>>
>>> Susan

>> I'm going to do that, and I'm going to smoke a whole pack of
>> Marlboro. :-)
>>
>> Cheri
>>

> at the risk of hitting 'radar'
>
> eh, if i'm terminal, here's my Swiss bank a/c info.......... place the
> money in there in ADVANCE and tell me what my mission is

Oi! We are all terminal

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 9:03 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

Nick, what does Gram Masala do???

i don't get any flavour or taste from it, always thought it was a flour
substitute or such???

i know.......... google............ but, i want a first hand

ty

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 1/4/2012 9:03 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

> Nick, what does Gram Masala do???
>
> i don't get any flavour or taste from it, always thought it was a flour
> substitute or such???
>
> i know.......... giggle............ but, i want a first hand
>
> ty

How many years has it been in your pantry? ;-D

We have a generic Punjabi style, which I get from Penzeys.com. It's made of
coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, caraway, cloves, ginger and
nutmeg. It combines well with sweet or hot curry blends and brightens up
mashed potatoes, sauteed veggies, fish, poultry, lamb or pork. When I say
brightens up, I mean it enhances and broadens the flavor. In India, there
are more varieties than there are cooks and dishes.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:24:32 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 1/4/2012 6:36 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>> I can only suggest that you try it! The basic recipe would be the
>> same with more veggies substituted! We both liked it as it was, and
>> enjoyed it well with no ill results.
>>
>> Evelyn

>Okra?
>
>just thinkin......... that might be very good in Mulligatawny
>
>hmm, ok, now to find Okra!
>
>kate

Okra seems a natural! Another goodie might be a zucchini!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:03:29 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 1/4/2012 8:11 PM, Susan wrote:
>> I know that's not your intent, but I infer a dismissal of the central
>> role of diet control of diabetes implicit in having a diabetes specific
>> food group.

>Susan, with all respect, i have found that everyone needs foods that
>vary from what any one individual needs (read, we are all different with
>different needs).
>
>The recipe that Evelyn has kindly shared can be modified to suit your or
>my needs. If this soup is a starter to a heavier carb meal for me, i
>would cut the carbs. If this soup is dinner for me, i would increase
>the carbs.
>
>I believe the YMWV disclaimer needs to be applied.
>
>I cannot give the nutrient breakdown as the new computer is 64
>bit/byte/whatever over the old 32 bit/byte/whatever........... they
>finally broke me and i have to buy new programs!
>
>kate

EXACTLY! Thank you for realizing this. In the case of the soup in
question, it was an entire meal in itself. No bread or other food
was served with it.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05 Jan 2012 04:03:22 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Evelyn > wrote:

>A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

I will try that!

Okra and or zucchini might be a good addition/change also.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/4/2012 11:51 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Tiger > wrote:
>> On 1/4/2012 9:03 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
>>> A touch of Garam Masala would brighten it up, too.

>> Nick, what does Gram Masala do???
>>
>> i don't get any flavour or taste from it, always thought it was a flour
>> substitute or such???
>>
>> i know.......... giggle............ but, i want a first hand
>>
>> ty

> How many years has it been in your pantry? ;-D
>
> We have a generic Punjabi style, which I get from Penzeys.com. It's made of
> coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, caraway, cloves, ginger and
> nutmeg. It combines well with sweet or hot curry blends and brightens up
> mashed potatoes, sauteed veggies, fish, poultry, lamb or pork. When I say
> brightens up, I mean it enhances and broadens the flavor. In India, there
> are more varieties than there are cooks and dishes.

well, Nick, in 1976, a lovely neighbour invited me over for East Indian
food (long before i learned different regions cook different ways)

and, hey, who am i to turn down a free meal????

and these lovely folks (keep meeting new ones) all love to cook a batch
of their favourite and bring it over to me, or in to work, or..... then
there is the Taj Mahal (which has recently gone Indo Chinese! new owners!)

so, dare i admit that i don't cook a lot of that persuasion of food, i'm
given the food! and then i'll make a fav of mine for the lovely folk to
try something they haven't seen before (my food is SO much more boring,
sigh)

and then there is hubby who loves to play with various curry persuasions

i DO have to learn how to make Saag Aloo!

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger Lily > wrote:
> On 1/4/2012 11:51 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Tiger > wrote:
> >>
> >> Nick, what does Gram Masala do???
> >>
> >> i don't get any flavour or taste from it, always thought it was a
> >> flour substitute or such???
> >>
> >> i know.......... giggle............ but, i want a first hand
> >>
> >> ty

> > How many years has it been in your pantry? ;-D
> >
> > We have a generic Punjabi style, which I get from Penzeys.com. It's
> > made of coriander, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, caraway, cloves,
> > ginger and nutmeg. It combines well with sweet or hot curry blends and
> > brightens up mashed potatoes, sauteed veggies, fish, poultry, lamb or
> > pork. When I say brightens up, I mean it enhances and broadens the
> > flavor. In India, there are more varieties than there are cooks and
> > dishes.

[ . . . . ]
> so, dare i admit that i don't cook a lot of that persuasion of food, i'm
> given the food! and then i'll make a fav of mine for the lovely folk to
> try something they haven't seen before (my food is SO much more boring,
> sigh)
>
> and then there is hubby who loves to play with various curry persuasions
>
> i DO have to learn how to make Saag Aloo!

One of my favorites is saag bhaji (spinach), Bangladesh style; quite spicy.

Here's a recipe that sounds good:

Saag Bhaji Recipe - Serves 4-6

Ingredients
6 tablespoons (90ml) vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) black mustard seeds
1 teaspoon (5ml) cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon (1ml) fenugreek seeds [or yellow mustard seeds - Nick]
8 curry leaves [basil, bay or Kaffir lime leaves - Nick]
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 dried red chillies, coarsely chopped
450g (1 lb) fresh spinach, finely chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2cm (1/4 inch) cubes
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) ground turmeric
1 teaspoon (5ml) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) garam masala
1/2 teaspoon (2.5ml) chilli powder
3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
1 teaspoon (5ml) salt

Method
Heat 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the vegetable oil over a medium heat in a
large frying pan or saucepan (you need one with a lid) Fry the black
mustard seeds until they start to pop (1-2 minutes), stirring a couple of
times Add the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, garlic and dried
chillies, mix well and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often Add the spinach,
mix well, reduce the heat a little, cover and simmer for 15 minutes,
stirring now and again, and then set aside Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the
vegetable oil over a medium heat and fry the potato cubes until they are
well browned (around 7-10 minutes), stirring often, and then set aside Heat
the remaining 3 tablespoons (45ml) of vegetable oil over a medium heat in a
large frying pan or saucepan (you need one with a lid) Fry the onion until
it is brown (about 10 minutes), stirring often Add the turmeric, cumin,
garam masala and chilli powder, mix well and fry for 3 minutes, stirring
often Add the previously cooked spinach and potatoes along with the
tomatoes and salt, mix well, bring to a good simmer, reduce the heat, cover
and simmer for 10 minutes (or until the potatoes are cooked), stirring now
and again Serve hot.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ta!

kate

On 1/6/2012 1:21 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> [...]

> mix well, reduce the heat a little, cover and simmer for 15 minutes,
> stirring now and again, and then set aside Heat 1 tablespoon (15ml) of the
> vegetable oil over a medium heat and fry the potato cubes until they are
> well browned (around 7-10 minutes), stirring often, and then set aside Heat
> the remaining 3 tablespoons (45ml) of vegetable oil over a medium heat in a
> large frying pan or saucepan (you need one with a lid) Fry the onion until
> it is brown (about 10 minutes), stirring often Add the turmeric, cumin,
> garam masala and chilli powder, mix well and fry for 3 minutes, stirring
> often Add the previously cooked spinach and potatoes along with the
> tomatoes and salt, mix well, bring to a good simmer, reduce the heat, cover
> and simmer for 10 minutes (or until the potatoes are cooked), stirring now

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the leftover rot is one of my favorite ingriednets...

i have the bones of one waiting in the freezer for me to have time for
broth. Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> I was in the mood for soup, and decided to try this simple recipe I
> had saved. It was not only good it was positively awesome! Hubby
> loved it so much he went back for a second big bowl full and told me
> to PLEASE make that one again!
>

> MULLIGATAWNY (CHICKEN) SOUP
>
> 1/2 c. butter
>
> 1 c. diced onion
>
> 1 c. diced celery
>
> 1 c. diced carrots
>
> 1 small potato, peeled and diced
>
> 1/2 tsp. curry powder
>
> 1/4 c. uncooked rice
>
> 6 c. chicken broth
>
> 1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes, diced with liquid
>
> 2 bay leaves
>
> 1/8 tsp. Thyme
>
> 2 c. diced cooked chicken
>
> Salt and pepper to taste
>

> Directions:
>
> In a large pot, melt butter.
>
> Add celery, onions and carrots and sauté in butter for 5 minutes.
>
> Add curry and rice, sauté 1 minute more.
>
> Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and thyme.
>
> Heat to boiling, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
>
> Add salt, pepper and chicken just before serving.
>
> Garnish with parsley.
>
> Serves 6-8.
>

> *********************
>

> (I used one quart of my home made chicken broth and two cups of water
> with one Knorr chicken bouillion cube for the rest of the broth)
>
> This was so incredibly simple and so good you can't believe it.
>
> The only thing I might do differently is use a tad more Curry powder,
> since we both like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

always remember there is simply no one size fits all when it comes to
eating, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:11:53 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>
>>x-no-arhive: yes
>>
>>On 1/4/2012 9:45 PM, Evelyn wrote:
>>
>>> My dietician says that the lowest carb grain is barley. I often use
>>> that in soup, but I think it would require a lot longer cooking than
>>> is recommended for this particular soup.

>>Your dietitian might want to look that up. I know that I only tolerate
>>about a spoonful, and only if it's not all soft and bloated from
>>overcooking or soaking in soup. From all I've read, since wls requires
>>so little food consumption, and protein and fat are the only two
>>essential macronutrients in human nutrition without which you develop
>>starvation and other deficiency problems, and starches are so nutrient
>>impoverished and calorically dense, they are typically advised against.
>> Especially if they take up room that protein, fat and nutrient dense
>>veggies might otherwise. That's how other folks I know have been told to
>>eat; protein, enough fat so you don't die or develop disorders, and
>>veggies.
>>

>>> For yourself, you can simply NOT use the potato or the rice and
>>> increase the other vegetables you find you tolerate better. I
>>> imagine a cook as creative as you are will do a great job of
>>> converting the recipe and finding substitutions!

>>Sure I can. But I don't see any point in coming to a diabetic specific
>>newsgroup to find a recipe with much of it's calories coming from rice
>>and potato. I can find those anywhere folks don't have diabetes. It's
>>not just me acting out of a desire to control, I take it as a kind of
>>personal lack of caring for the needs of others. I know that's not your
>>intent, but I infer a dismissal of the central role of diet control of
>>diabetes implicit in having a diabetes specific food group.
>>
>>It's discouraging to me to start reading and realize how many added and
>>unnecessary carbs are there, and I start thinking that the poster
>>doesn't care that the recipe is so unfriendly to so many of us.
>>
>>Susan

> I post what I like and what I eat. That's the way it is.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>
>> But if I EVER find out I'm terminal, I'm going right out and eat a fresh
>> hot slice of pizza with the crust!
>>
>> It's been YEARS.
>>
>> Susan

> I'm going to do that, and I'm going to smoke a whole pack of Marlboro. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
: smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
: cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee

Of course you can. If I did it over 38 yars aago, you will find the will
one day, and I hope it is soon.

Good tobe hearing from you again.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 29/01/2012 12:19 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > wrote:
> : you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
> : smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
> : cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee
>
> Of course you can. If I did it over 38 yars aago, you will find the will
> one day, and I hope it is soon.

I don't smoke either I'm just the sucker on the end :-)

--
(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:28:44 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
>smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
>cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee

If I could do it, you can do it! You just have to be committed and
really WANT to quit, really know how bad it is for you. You are
stronger than you realize!

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

am so glad to be back, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
> : smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
> : cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee
>
> Of course you can. If I did it over 38 yars aago, you will find the will
> one day, and I hope it is soon.
>
> Good tobe hearing from you again.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on the
list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:28:44 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>you can have my pizza... i will be sucking a pack of salems, Lee still
>>smoke but have quit menthol and am ever so slowly cutting back on the
>>cigs... not sure if i can ever quit, Lee

> If I could do it, you can do it! You just have to be committed and
> really WANT to quit, really know how bad it is for you. You are
> stronger than you realize!
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:02:04 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on the
>list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
>high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee

You have had a rough year, but you need to remember this; A non
smoker has OTHER ways of coping with stress than smoking. We just go
and do something else. A woman I know went to a hypnotist to stop
smoking. He asked her "what does a non smoker do when they want a
cigarette?" She said..."I don't know, I guess they just forget about
it" The hypnotist made that her mantra or special phrase. Every time
she wanted a cigarette, she just said "forget about it" .... It
worked.

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yes as i see it its smoke or eat, hypnotist helped the dh to quit one time
and i cut way back, its not that i am not quitting just not right now, Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 23:02:04 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on the
>>list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
>>high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee

> You have had a rough year, but you need to remember this; A non
> smoker has OTHER ways of coping with stress than smoking. We just go
> and do something else. A woman I know went to a hypnotist to stop
> smoking. He asked her "what does a non smoker do when they want a
> cigarette?" She said..."I don't know, I guess they just forget about
> it" The hypnotist made that her mantra or special phrase. Every time
> she wanted a cigarette, she just said "forget about it" .... It
> worked.
>
> Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> yes as i see it its smoke or eat, hypnotist helped the dh to quit one time
> and i cut way back, its not that i am not quitting just not right now, Lee

You'll quit when *you're* ready and not before. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

true, thanks, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> yes as i see it its smoke or eat, hypnotist helped the dh to quit one
>> time and i cut way back, its not that i am not quitting just not right
>> now, Lee

> You'll quit when *you're* ready and not before. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 1/28/2012 10:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on the
> list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
> high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee

Lee, I quite last April

Nov/Dec/Jan have been "increasing stress levels" for me

i broke down Jan 6 and bought cigarettes

the option wasn't even one for me to think of

i'm speaking with my Dr more frequently on this now

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am actually cutting down, but the idea of giving up something else, or
using will power somewhere new is beyond what i am able to do right now,
some day i will try for real again, Lee
"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 1/28/2012 10:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on
>> the
>> list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
>> high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee

> Lee, I quite last April
>
> Nov/Dec/Jan have been "increasing stress levels" for me
>
> i broke down Jan 6 and bought cigarettes
>
> the option wasn't even one for me to think of
>
> i'm speaking with my Dr more frequently on this now
>
> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I went out and bought those GHASTLY clove 'herbal' cigarettes that
someone is making a FORTUNE on, despite how much cheaper they are from
cigarettes!

2 smokes today.............. those things are AWFUL!

kate

On 2/2/2012 12:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> i am actually cutting down, but the idea of giving up something else, or
> using will power somewhere new is beyond what i am able to do right now,
> some day i will try for real again, Lee
> "Tiger > wrote in message
>> On 1/28/2012 10:02 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> intellectually i know all the facts... but i am weak, and its third on
>>> the
>>> list of goals in mhy life right now, ; and if my stress level stays this
>>> high it won't matter anyway, lol, Lee

>> Lee, I quite last April
>>
>> Nov/Dec/Jan have been "increasing stress levels" for me
>>
>> i broke down Jan 6 and bought cigarettes
>>
>> the option wasn't even one for me to think of
>>
>> i'm speaking with my Dr more frequently on this now
>>
>> kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/02/2012 3:04 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> I went out and bought those GHASTLY clove 'herbal' cigarettes that
> someone is making a FORTUNE on, despite how much cheaper they are from
> cigarettes!
>
> 2 smokes today.............. those things are AWFUL!
>
> kate
>
> On 2/2/2012 12:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> i am actually cutting down, but the idea of giving up something else, or
>> using will power somewhere new is beyond what i am able to do right now,
>> some day i will try for real again, Lee
>>>
>>> Lee, I quite last April
>>>
>>> Nov/Dec/Jan have been "increasing stress levels" for me
>>>
>>> i broke down Jan 6 and bought cigarettes
>>>
>>> the option wasn't even one for me to think of
>>>
>>> i'm speaking with my Dr more frequently on this now
>>>
>>> kate

Have you considered e-cigarettes mine looks like a real one glows like a
real one even has vapour that looks like real smoke good way when you
just "HAVE" to have something, mine even glows red at the tip like a
real one, just have to be careful I don't try to light it :-)
Cost me about $30

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

in fact i have a friend who is gifting me/dh a system like you describe, Lee
"RodS" > wrote in message ...
> On 4/02/2012 3:04 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> I went out and bought those GHASTLY clove 'herbal' cigarettes that
>> someone is making a FORTUNE on, despite how much cheaper they are from
>> cigarettes!
>>
>> 2 smokes today.............. those things are AWFUL!
>>
>> kate
>>
>> On 2/2/2012 12:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i am actually cutting down, but the idea of giving up something else, or
>>> using will power somewhere new is beyond what i am able to do right now,
>>> some day i will try for real again, Lee

> Have you considered e-cigarettes mine looks like a real one glows like a
> real one even has vapour that looks like real smoke good way when you
> just "HAVE" to have something, mine even glows red at the tip like a real
> one, just have to be careful I don't try to light it :-)
> Cost me about $30
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/4/2012 1:30 AM, RodS wrote:
> On 4/02/2012 3:04 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>> I went out and bought those GHASTLY clove 'herbal' cigarettes that
>> someone is making a FORTUNE on, despite how much cheaper they are from
>> cigarettes!
>>
>> 2 smokes today.............. those things are AWFUL!
>>
>> kate
>>
>> On 2/2/2012 12:48 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>>> i am actually cutting down, but the idea of giving up something else, or
>>> using will power somewhere new is beyond what i am able to do right now,
>>> some day i will try for real again, Lee

> Have you considered e-cigarettes mine looks like a real one glows like a
> real one even has vapour that looks like real smoke good way when you
> just "HAVE" to have something, mine even glows red at the tip like a
> real one, just have to be careful I don't try to light it :-)
> Cost me about $30
>
> (- -)
> =m=(_)=m=
> RodS T2
> Australia

they are double that here (from what i can find)

do they have ongoing costs as well??? if not, i may just do that!

3 clove smokes today, 1 put out after 3 puffs, 1 wouldn't stay lit and i
gave up and the last one gagged me! (note, LAST one today) lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/02/2012 12:55 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 2/4/2012 1:30 AM, RodS wrote:
>> On 4/02/2012 3:04 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
>>> I went out and bought those GHASTLY clove 'herbal' cigarettes that
>>> someone is making a FORTUNE on, despite how much cheaper they are from
>>> cigarettes!
>>>
>>> 2 smokes today.............. those things are AWFUL!
>>>
>>> kate

>> Have you considered e-cigarettes mine looks like a real one glows like a
>> real one even has vapour that looks like real smoke good way when you
>> just "HAVE" to have something, mine even glows red at the tip like a
>> real one, just have to be careful I don't try to light it :-)
>> Cost me about $30
>>
>> (- -)
>> =m=(_)=m=
>> RodS T2
>> Australia

> they are double that here (from what i can find)
>
> do they have ongoing costs as well??? if not, i may just do that!
>
> 3 clove smokes today, 1 put out after 3 puffs, 1 wouldn't stay lit and i
> gave up and the last one gagged me! (note, LAST one today) lol
>
> kate

Well the way they work is that the filter thing has an inside bit that
the vapour generating oil stuff goes on to, mine came with about 6 extra
filters and I bought an extra bottle of the vapour oil (Marlbro flavor) :-)
That will last me a long time as you only use about 2 drops for that
satisfying fake smoke illusion and taste, good for about 300 puffs they
reckon.

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2