Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Help with Dessert

OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having only
the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling, but
no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I am
worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of baking
the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply tost
the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some nuts,
just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces, easy
to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on top
of either the raw or baked filling?

Any thoughts out there?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having
> only
> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling,
> but
> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I
> am
> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of
> baking
> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply
> tost
> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some
> nuts,
> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces,
> easy
> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on
> top
> of either the raw or baked filling?
>
> Any thoughts out there?
>
> Wendy

Chopped walnuts shouldn't sink anymore than a regular crumble. How about
adding some almond flour with butter, cinnamon and chopped walnuts (in
place of oats) plus a bit of sweetener so its more like a regular
crumble topping. Can you get granular sweeteners there? That would
probably be best for the texture.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

any of what you propose is good to me, also there are gluton free oats which
you might consider, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having only
> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling, but
> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I am
> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of baking
> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply tost
> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some nuts,
> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces, easy
> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on top
> of either the raw or baked filling?
>
> Any thoughts out there?
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and i just thought, you could walnut halves which would be way less likely
to sink. Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
>> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having only
>> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
>> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling, but
>> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I am
>> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of baking
>> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
>> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply tost
>> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
>> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
>> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some nuts,
>> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces, easy
>> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on top
>> of either the raw or baked filling?
>>
>> Any thoughts out there?
>>
>> Wendy

> Chopped walnuts shouldn't sink anymore than a regular crumble. How about
> adding some almond flour with butter, cinnamon and chopped walnuts (in
> place of oats) plus a bit of sweetener so its more like a regular crumble
> topping. Can you get granular sweeteners there? That would probably be
> best for the texture.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> any of what you propose is good to me, also there are gluton free oats
> which you might consider, Lee

I make apple crisp with that. Just sub in the GF oats and some rice flour,
either brown or white. Also use coconut oil in place of butter or
margarine. A bit of cinnamon. But a ton of brown sugar. That's the rub.
Without the sugar the crisp part won't get crisp.

I have pretty much had to stop making the crisp because we will eat too much
of it. Now I just do either fried apple slices (with peel) or whole baked
apples with a cinnamon stick inserted in each. Angela likes those. She
doesn't like nuts but is getting better. Once in a while she will eat
something with nuts. And she likes one kind of Lara bars. But mostly she
won't eat nuts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i like that baked apple idea, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> any of what you propose is good to me, also there are gluton free oats
>> which you might consider, Lee

> I make apple crisp with that. Just sub in the GF oats and some rice
> flour, either brown or white. Also use coconut oil in place of butter or
> margarine. A bit of cinnamon. But a ton of brown sugar. That's the rub.
> Without the sugar the crisp part won't get crisp.
>
> I have pretty much had to stop making the crisp because we will eat too
> much of it. Now I just do either fried apple slices (with peel) or whole
> baked apples with a cinnamon stick inserted in each. Angela likes those.
> She doesn't like nuts but is getting better. Once in a while she will eat
> something with nuts. And she likes one kind of Lara bars. But mostly she
> won't eat nuts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/22/2011 1:47 PM, KROM wrote:
> I would cook the pie first then add toasted nuts for the last 15 mins of
> baking
>
> KROM
>

> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>
> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having only
> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling, but
> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I am
> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of baking
> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply tost
> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some nuts,
> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces, easy
> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on top
> of either the raw or baked filling?
>
> Any thoughts out there?
>
> Wendy

* Exported from MasterCook *

Apples, No Pie, a la Mode

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : desserts pies

3 tablespoons butter
1 piece fresh ginger -- (1 inch) grated or minced
3 Golden Delicious apples -- quartered, cored and
sliced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg -- eyeball it
1 pint vanilla ice cream
1 canister whipped cream

Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ginger and
apples to warm butter, squeeze a little lemon juice over the pan and
saute 4 to 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg to the apples
and cook another 2 minutes. Spoon apples into dessert dishes and top
with ice cream and whipped cream. Garnish whipped cream with a pinch
more cinnamon or nutmeg

Source:
"Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray"

Leave out the ice cream and use parve whipped topping if you feel the need.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it popped into my head this would rock if you used peaches, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/22/2011 1:47 PM, KROM wrote:
>> I would cook the pie first then add toasted nuts for the last 15 mins of
>> baking
>>
>> KROM
>>

>> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
>>
>> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
>> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having only
>> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
>> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling, but
>> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I am
>> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of baking
>> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
>> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply tost
>> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
>> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
>> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some nuts,
>> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces, easy
>> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on top
>> of either the raw or baked filling?
>>
>> Any thoughts out there?
>>
>> Wendy

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Apples, No Pie, a la Mode
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : desserts pies

> 3 tablespoons butter
> 1 piece fresh ginger -- (1 inch) grated or minced
> 3 Golden Delicious apples -- quartered, cored and
> sliced
> 2 teaspoons lemon juice
> 3 tablespoons brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg -- eyeball it
> 1 pint vanilla ice cream
> 1 canister whipped cream
>
> Heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ginger and apples
> to warm butter, squeeze a little lemon juice over the pan and saute 4 to
> 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg to the apples and cook
> another 2 minutes. Spoon apples into dessert dishes and top with ice
> cream and whipped cream. Garnish whipped cream with a pinch more cinnamon
> or nutmeg
>
> Source:
> "Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray"
>
> Leave out the ice cream and use parve whipped topping if you feel the
> need.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: it popped into my head this would rock if you used peaches, Lee
: "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
: eb.com...
: > On 11/22/2011 1:47 PM, KROM wrote:
: >> I would cook the pie first then add toasted nuts for the last 15 mins of
: >> baking
: >>
: >> KROM
: >>
: >>
: >> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
: >>
[...]

Well, just to report what I did, but th eproof will be in the tastng this
afternoon.

I made my usual pie filling of sliced apples(assorted this time) adding
lemon juice, cinnamon(tons because the cinnamon was not stron-need a new
container ful)n Splenda to tastr and that's it. I put them into a
retangular pan covered with foil with one largish hole in the center(like
a well pricked pie crust) and baked about haof way. Removed the foil and
replaced with ton (about 3/4 lb over 5 lbs(raw weight) of apples of choped
walnuts that had been shaken with some cinnamon and Splenda). I then
baked it until the topping brrowned some and the apple seemed soft. I
will tell you tomorrow hw everbody reacted to it.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it sure sounds good, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : it popped into my head this would rock if you used peaches, Lee
> : "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> : eb.com...
> : > On 11/22/2011 1:47 PM, KROM wrote:
> : >> I would cook the pie first then add toasted nuts for the last 15 mins
> of
> : >> baking
> : >>
> : >> KROM
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> "W. Baker" wrote in message ...
> : >>
> : >> OK, I need some help here. I am to make dessert for Thanksgiving. I
> : >> usually make a one crust, no sugar added, apple pie(cobbler?) having
> only
> : >> the crisp top crust. This year my gluten sensitive cousing will be
> : >> joining us so I am working on a plan to make the usual apple filling,
> but
> : >> no crust, just sprinkling some finely chopped walntus(not ground). I
> am
> : >> worried thatthey wil just sind to the bottom. I have thought of
> baking
> : >> the apple filling (covered with foil) and then removing the cover an
> : >> putting the nuts on and lettin them toast. Perhaps I should simply
> tost
> : >> the nuts sparately and then put them on before serving or after the
> : >> filling is out of the oven and cooling. I am not making a Brown Betty
> : >> toopping wich usualy had flour or oatmeal or both along with some
> nuts,
> : >> just kind of a top nut crust(which might require finer nut pieces,
> easy
> : >> to do in the food processor. Should I simply kind of pack the nuts on
> top
> : >> of either the raw or baked filling?
> : >>
> : >> Any thoughts out there?
> : >>
> : >> Wendy
>
> Well, just to report what I did, but th eproof will be in the tastng this
> afternoon.
>
> I made my usual pie filling of sliced apples(assorted this time) adding
> lemon juice, cinnamon(tons because the cinnamon was not stron-need a new
> container ful)n Splenda to tastr and that's it. I put them into a
> retangular pan covered with foil with one largish hole in the center(like
> a well pricked pie crust) and baked about haof way. Removed the foil and
> replaced with ton (about 3/4 lb over 5 lbs(raw weight) of apples of choped
> walnuts that had been shaken with some cinnamon and Splenda). I then
> baked it until the topping brrowned some and the apple seemed soft. I
> will tell you tomorrow hw everbody reacted to it.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: it sure sounds good, Lee
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >
[...]

I am now back from my Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved the apple-nut
sdessert. Only thing is I made too much so, boo hoo, I have brouht some
home to use over the next few days. Sad isn't it:-)

It was delicious! Tasted esactly as I oped it would, like a crustless
apple pie with nuts on top! Everything was ust rand and everyone was able
to eat it with no problem!

I hope you all had a good thanksgiving if it applies to ou, and to
everyone else, enjo the up coming holida sseason.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : it sure sounds good, Lee
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > Well, just to report what I did, but th eproof will be in the tastng
> this
> : > afternoon.
> : >
> : > I made my usual pie filling of sliced apples(assorted this time)
> adding
> : > lemon juice, cinnamon(tons because the cinnamon was not stron-need a
> new
> : > container ful)n Splenda to tastr and that's it. I put them into a
> : > retangular pan covered with foil with one largish hole in the
> center(like
> : > a well pricked pie crust) and baked about haof way. Removed the foil
> and
> : > replaced with ton (about 3/4 lb over 5 lbs(raw weight) of apples of
> choped
> : > walnuts that had been shaken with some cinnamon and Splenda). I then
> : > baked it until the topping brrowned some and the apple seemed soft. I
> : > will tell you tomorrow hw everbody reacted to it.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> I am now back from my Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved the apple-nut
> sdessert. Only thing is I made too much so, boo hoo, I have brouht some
> home to use over the next few days. Sad isn't it:-)
>
> It was delicious! Tasted esactly as I oped it would, like a crustless
> apple pie with nuts on top! Everything was ust rand and everyone was able
> to eat it with no problem!
>
> I hope you all had a good thanksgiving if it applies to ou, and to
> everyone else, enjo the up coming holida sseason.

One year I made Chayote like an apple pie filling. I got the idea from
Ozgirl. People ate it and liked it but my family is just weird about stuff
like that. They were afraid to eat more than one bite. They would have
done the same with the apples. Last year I bought enough gluten free gravy
for everyone but my mom refused to serve it to the others. Until she ran
out of her gravy. And then she told my nephew he could have some. They act
like anything that isn't made exactly to a familiar recipe is something
strange and to be avoided.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wonderful, Wendy I can see it will be real big sacrifice to have to
eat the rest Would be nice with a bit of dollop cream. What did you
have for the rest of the meal?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> I am now back from my Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved the
> apple-nut
> sdessert. Only thing is I made too much so, boo hoo, I have brouht
> some
> home to use over the next few days. Sad isn't it:-)
>
> It was delicious! Tasted esactly as I oped it would, like a crustless
> apple pie with nuts on top! Everything was ust rand and everyone was
> able
> to eat it with no problem!
>
> I hope you all had a good thanksgiving if it applies to ou, and to
> everyone else, enjo the up coming holida sseason.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: Wonderful, Wendy I can see it will be real big sacrifice to have to
: eat the rest Would be nice with a bit of dollop cream. What did you
: have for the rest of the meal?

My DIL made a lovely squash and pear soup served with a slice of lime and
cilantro.. Then the turkey with stuffing(made outside the bird) roast
potato wedges, particularly for the gluten-free guest, raoasted parsnips
adn carrots (needed a bit mor cooking) my sugar-free spiced cranberry
sauce, big simple green salad (served right after the soup) and my
desserts, the apple thing and the punpkin custard made with almond milk.
Also lots of good conversation.

Wendy

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...

: > I am now back from my Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved the
: > apple-nut
: > sdessert. Only thing is I made too much so, boo hoo, I have brouht
: > some
: > home to use over the next few days. Sad isn't it:-)
: >
: > It was delicious! Tasted esactly as I oped it would, like a crustless
: > apple pie with nuts on top! Everything was ust rand and everyone was
: > able
: > to eat it with no problem!
: >
: > I hope you all had a good thanksgiving if it applies to ou, and to
: > everyone else, enjo the up coming holida sseason.
:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
> : Wonderful, Wendy I can see it will be real big sacrifice to have
> : eat the rest Would be nice with a bit of dollop cream. What did
> you
> : have for the rest of the meal?
>
> My DIL made a lovely squash and pear soup served with a slice of lime
> and
> cilantro.. Then the turkey with stuffing(made outside the bird) roast
> potato wedges, particularly for the gluten-free guest, raoasted
> parsnips
> adn carrots (needed a bit mor cooking) my sugar-free spiced cranberry
> sauce, big simple green salad (served right after the soup) and my
> desserts, the apple thing and the punpkin custard made with almond
> milk.
> Also lots of good conversation.

Oh, my mouth is watering now! I am glad it was an all round good day for
you and your family.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

just wonderful, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : it sure sounds good, Lee
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : >
> : > Well, just to report what I did, but th eproof will be in the tastng
> this
> : > afternoon.
> : >
> : > I made my usual pie filling of sliced apples(assorted this time)
> adding
> : > lemon juice, cinnamon(tons because the cinnamon was not stron-need a
> new
> : > container ful)n Splenda to tastr and that's it. I put them into a
> : > retangular pan covered with foil with one largish hole in the
> center(like
> : > a well pricked pie crust) and baked about haof way. Removed the foil
> and
> : > replaced with ton (about 3/4 lb over 5 lbs(raw weight) of apples of
> choped
> : > walnuts that had been shaken with some cinnamon and Splenda). I then
> : > baked it until the topping brrowned some and the apple seemed soft. I
> : > will tell you tomorrow hw everbody reacted to it.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> I am now back from my Thanksgiving dinner. Everyone loved the apple-nut
> sdessert. Only thing is I made too much so, boo hoo, I have brouht some
> home to use over the next few days. Sad isn't it:-)
>
> It was delicious! Tasted esactly as I oped it would, like a crustless
> apple pie with nuts on top! Everything was ust rand and everyone was able
> to eat it with no problem!
>
> I hope you all had a good thanksgiving if it applies to ou, and to
> everyone else, enjo the up coming holida sseason.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/27/2011 1:23 PM, Susan wrote:

> On 11/27/2011 2:37 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> How do I get myself into these things????
>>

> Ask those friends! I'm guessing it went like this... "Our friend Janet
> is the BEST cook, you MUST come with us for Chanukah this year...she
> won't mind!"
>
> Take the compliment or shoot your friend.
>
> Or both. :-)
>
> Susan

chortle, just what i was thinking! LOL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/27/2011 7:29 PM, W. Baker wrote:

> Some poeple drain and put them on aking sheets adn keep them hot in the
> oven while they make another batch. I get this from the Jewish-food
> mail-list I am on and it comes up every year.

I could do that, but I don't think they are quite as good as fresh
from the peanut oil.

Wendy, what's the Jewish food group? I'm on fec.food.jewish but there
hasn't bee any traffic there for years. Is Brian Mailman still around?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 11/27/2011 7:29 PM, W. Baker wrote:

: > Some poeple drain and put them on aking sheets adn keep them hot in the
: > oven while they make another batch. I get this from the Jewish-food
: > mail-list I am on and it comes up every year.

: I could do that, but I don't think they are quite as good as fresh
: from the peanut oil.

: Wendy, what's the Jewish food group? I'm on fec.food.jewish but there
: hasn't bee any traffic there for years. Is Brian Mailman still around?

This is Brians mail-list. It varies, but I would say most on it are quite
observant and , although no set kashrut standards, it is expected that
recipes will conform to jewish detary laws or have been personally adapted
nad tried toby the poster. Not "you might try it with soy milk," but "I
found rice milk wroks better than soy milk if you want to try it parev."
You get the point. If you are interested in the group, send me your
correct email addy and I will send you the info on joining and the
website. wbaker(at)panix.com

Wendy

works : -- : Janet Wilder : Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
much snipped
> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to shoot)
> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so if
> she approves, it's a go. :-)

Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
200 pack

grin

get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> much snipped
>> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to shoot)
>> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so if
>> she approves, it's a go. :-)

> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or 200
> pack
>
> grin
>
> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
> LOL
>
> kate

The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
breaking those things while eating. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/28/2011 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> much snipped
>>> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to shoot)
>>> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so if
>>> she approves, it's a go. :-)

>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
>> 200 pack
>>
>> grin
>>
>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>> LOL
>>
>> kate

> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>
> Cheri

sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery

we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
(unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2011 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> much snipped
>>>
>>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
>>> 200 pack
>>>
>>> grin
>>>
>>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>
> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL
>
> kate

I'll have to check Costco. I buy them when I see them at The Dollar Store. I
always throw them in the dishwasher and save for picnics etc. Never had one
melt or anything, and very sturdy. Whenever we go to the lodge, where they
have those cheap plastic forks that break when you look at them, I always
bring my own. LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> much snipped
>>> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to
>>> shoot)
>>> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so
>>> if
>>> she approves, it's a go. :-)

>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150
>> or 200 pack
>>
>> grin
>>
>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>> LOL
>>
>> kate

> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>
> Cheri

Yeah, nothing worse than losing the top of your fork in a piece of
salad, lol. Or worse, if your paper plate bends in a few different
directions while fully loaded.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> much snipped
>>> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to shoot)
>>> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so if
>>> she approves, it's a go. :-)

>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
>> 200 pack
>>
>> grin
>>
>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>> LOL
>>
>> kate

> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
> breaking those things while eating. :-)

I always check Party City and the other party stores. Even online.
Sometimes they put a certain color on clearance for like 10 cents a package.
We're not picky on the color.

But I did learn not to buy the "medium weight" from the restaurant supply
place. I got knives and spoons that are only good for scooping out the cat
food. Very flimsy things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/28/2011 9:18 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> much snipped
>>>
>>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
>>> 200 pack
>>>
>>> grin
>>>
>>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>
> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL

My parents washed their plastic stuff. I can't really see doing that. But
then... I only buy it when it's cheap. Mostly I buy at Costco. I can see
if you are camping because you don't want to lug a bunch of stuff in with
you.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>>
>> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
>> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL
>>
>> kate

> I'll have to check Costco. I buy them when I see them at The Dollar Store.
> I always throw them in the dishwasher and save for picnics etc. Never had
> one melt or anything, and very sturdy. Whenever we go to the lodge, where
> they have those cheap plastic forks that break when you look at them, I
> always bring my own. LOL

The clear ones at Costco are the best but it's an assortment pack. Never
enough spoons in it for us. The white ones they sell individually are good
but not as sturdy as the clear.

What you should NOT do though is buy their seasonal assortment pack of
plates and napkins. They are pretty but the plates are not sturdy at all.
So you wind up using 2 or 3 if you are eating with the plate in your lap.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> much snipped
>>>
>>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
>>> 200 pack
>>>
>>> grin
>>>
>>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Yeah, nothing worse than losing the top of your fork in a piece of salad,
> lol. Or worse, if your paper plate bends in a few different directions
> while fully loaded.

Worse still, swallowing the bite of salad and THEN realizing you have only 4
tines.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> much snipped
>>>
>>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150
>>> or 200 pack
>>>
>>> grin
>>>
>>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery.
>> No breaking those things while eating. :-)

> I always check Party City and the other party stores. Even online.
> Sometimes they put a certain color on clearance for like 10 cents a
> package. We're not picky on the color.
>
> But I did learn not to buy the "medium weight" from the restaurant
> supply place. I got knives and spoons that are only good for scooping
> out the cat food. Very flimsy things.

Lol, when we had our motorcycle racetrack event business we provided a
bbq lunch for the 120 or so participants (sausage sandwiches with home
made salads - lol, dunno how I did all that back in the day - the salads
I mean) plus served tea/coffee throughout the day. We bought some bulk
plastic teaspoons from a catering warehouse and first time we used them
they melted in the cups... I used them for years for the kids to take
with yoghurt tubs to school

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery.
>>> No
>>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>>
>> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
>> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL

> My parents washed their plastic stuff. I can't really see doing that.
> But then... I only buy it when it's cheap. Mostly I buy at Costco.
> I can see if you are camping because you don't want to lug a bunch of
> stuff in with you.

I don't with the teaspoons I buy for Jasmine's school yoghurt, mainly
because she tosses them out after eating For a short while I sent
real teaspoons and asked her not to put them in the bin but sadly it
either didn't compute or she forgot once she was out the door. When she
was younger she was in a mainstream school but in a special class. The
aides used to keep the kids in the classroom to eat before letting them
outside to play. That way all their belongings were accounted for and
even washed and dried and put back in the lunchboxes. I miss that

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>>>
>>> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
>>> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> I'll have to check Costco. I buy them when I see them at The Dollar
>> Store. I always throw them in the dishwasher and save for picnics
>> etc. Never had one melt or anything, and very sturdy. Whenever we go
>> to the lodge, where they have those cheap plastic forks that break
>> when you look at them, I always bring my own. LOL

> The clear ones at Costco are the best but it's an assortment pack.
> Never enough spoons in it for us. The white ones they sell
> individually are good but not as sturdy as the clear.

I used to have plate holders. Some were basket material, others were
plastic. All they ever needed were a quick rinse and left to dry in the
drainer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>>>
>>> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
>>> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL

>> My parents washed their plastic stuff. I can't really see doing that.
>> But then... I only buy it when it's cheap. Mostly I buy at Costco. I
>> can see if you are camping because you don't want to lug a bunch of stuff
>> in with you.

> I don't with the teaspoons I buy for Jasmine's school yoghurt, mainly
> because she tosses them out after eating For a short while I sent real
> teaspoons and asked her not to put them in the bin but sadly it either
> didn't compute or she forgot once she was out the door. When she was
> younger she was in a mainstream school but in a special class. The aides
> used to keep the kids in the classroom to eat before letting them outside
> to play. That way all their belongings were accounted for and even washed
> and dried and put back in the lunchboxes. I miss that

Gee... How can I get Angela to throw stuff out? I just looked in her
lunchbag and there was an empty water bottle, empty squeeze applesauce and a
plastic bag.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I'll have to check Costco. I buy them when I see them at The Dollar
>>> Store. I always throw them in the dishwasher and save for picnics etc.
>>> Never had one melt or anything, and very sturdy. Whenever we go to the
>>> lodge, where they have those cheap plastic forks that break when you
>>> look at them, I always bring my own. LOL

>> The clear ones at Costco are the best but it's an assortment pack. Never
>> enough spoons in it for us. The white ones they sell individually are
>> good but not as sturdy as the clear.
>>

> I used to have plate holders. Some were basket material, others were
> plastic. All they ever needed were a quick rinse and left to dry in the
> drainer.

I had a ton of those. Plastic and in specific colors. I got them for when
Angela had a Sagwa party. We had Chinese food delivered and we ate outside.
I invited several families. I think we used just plain paper plates. I
don't know what became of them after we moved here.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>>> breaking those things while eating. :-)

>> I always check Party City and the other party stores. Even online.
>> Sometimes they put a certain color on clearance for like 10 cents a
>> package. We're not picky on the color.
>>
>> But I did learn not to buy the "medium weight" from the restaurant supply
>> place. I got knives and spoons that are only good for scooping out the
>> cat food. Very flimsy things.

> Lol, when we had our motorcycle racetrack event business we provided a bbq
> lunch for the 120 or so participants (sausage sandwiches with home made
> salads - lol, dunno how I did all that back in the day - the salads I
> mean) plus served tea/coffee throughout the day. We bought some bulk
> plastic teaspoons from a catering warehouse and first time we used them
> they melted in the cups... I used them for years for the kids to take with
> yoghurt tubs to school

Oh wow! That's bad. I don't personally like the Chinette plates. Angela
insisted that I buy the recycled paper ones from Costco instead of what I
normally buy which I think is the Dixie. They are fine for dry foods. But
if the food is moist, the plate goes all soggy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/28/2011 11:01 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> sounds like the costco plastic (clear) cutlery
>>
>> we end up washing it as we can't abide throwing it out after one use
>> (unless it's the final meal before we pack up and close camp) LOL
>>
>> kate

> I'll have to check Costco. I buy them when I see them at The Dollar
> Store. I always throw them in the dishwasher and save for picnics etc.
> Never had one melt or anything, and very sturdy. Whenever we go to the
> lodge, where they have those cheap plastic forks that break when you
> look at them, I always bring my own. LOL
>
> Cheri

these are the Kirkland brand

they don't split the knives/forks/spoons evenly, you get more forks, 1/3
less knives and a dollop of spoons, so they won't work well as a single
box for a large party, but over the space of the summer vacation &
various family events, we get a good spread from them

BUT, giggle, we wash them as they are too good to single use. i refused
to use plastic cutlery until we found these (and the knife is good
enough to cut a steak, not cheesy at all)

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/29/2011 12:16 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> much snipped
>>>
>>> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150
>>> or 200 pack
>>>
>>> grin
>>>
>>> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner
>>> LOL
>>>
>>> kate

>> The Dollar Store had some really thick, heavy duty plastic cutlery. No
>> breaking those things while eating. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Yeah, nothing worse than losing the top of your fork in a piece of
> salad, lol. Or worse, if your paper plate bends in a few different
> directions while fully loaded.

bwha ha ha, i know those plates! didn't they make a plastic holder for
the paper plate to prevent that from happening

wait! what was the use of the plate if you needed the plastic tray?! LOL

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> these are the Kirkland brand
>
> they don't split the knives/forks/spoons evenly, you get more forks, 1/3
> less knives and a dollop of spoons, so they won't work well as a single
> box for a large party, but over the space of the summer vacation & various
> family events, we get a good spread from them
>
> BUT, giggle, we wash them as they are too good to single use. i refused
> to use plastic cutlery until we found these (and the knife is good enough
> to cut a steak, not cheesy at all)
>
> kate

OK, thanks...I think I'm going to Costco in a few minutes, but it's really
foggy right now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/28/2011 10:13 PM, Tiger Lily wrote:
> On 11/28/2011 7:08 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> much snipped
>> I just got off the phone with my friend (the one y'all want me to shoot)
>> and she agrees that paper plates will do. She's a true "princess" so if
>> she approves, it's a go. :-)

> Costco had a HUGE display of the large Chinette plates in the ? 150 or
> 200 pack
>
> grin

Already have them fro Sam's. No Costco down here.

> get the plastic knives and forks too, have a fire after dinner

I'm going to drive down to Brownsville next week. The Marshall's there
has a selection of Chanukah stuff the Marshall's in Harlingen doesn't
carry. I might be able to find special holiday paper plates.

T day dessert Dimitri General Cooking 11 03-12-2011 04:46 AM
Dessert...? Bob (this one) General Cooking 2 27-10-2005 05:10 PM