Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default turkey rolls

ok this is rambling and i am describing something the dh does, it tastes
great, works nicely after cooked for several dishes, reheat or eat cold
slice thin or dice, your choice...

you take a totally thawed turkey, you cut right down the nmiddle of the
breast from top to bottom, then turn it over and do the same thing at the
back so without breaking any bones you have two halves fof the bird...

remove the legs and wings, set aside for another meal/meals or if you have
an el roaster as we had you can lay those and the giblets and neck on top of
the rolls to roast.

after wings and legs are gone and you have divided the bird, you begin
pulling the meat off the bird, rolling the skin in towards the meat into a
roll, if there is a particularly tough bit use a sharp knife to liberate the
meat from the bone, when you are done doing this you have two halves of the
bird which has some dark meat because of the thigh and back rib part... if
you are getting fancy you then place it meat side down and pound the higer
parts until its the same thickness all over, dh skips this part.

then turn it skin side down on the board, fold in the thigh meat spreading
it out as far as you can but don't rib or tear it. you do this so it
marbles the whit but its also a non critical thing, once this is spread go
to the other side of the meat and fold in the outside edge to get as
straight an edge as possible...

once your meat resembles a rectangle you begin rolling the meat up like a
jelly roll . start rolling from the short side where the darkmeat is
closest. Once its rolled you can tie it with oven string or skewer it, dh
just puts both rolls in a pan with out securing it face down with the seam.

roast as you would normally a turkey, either on a rack, in the bottom of the
pan or on vegetables, cook to your desired level of doness.

when its done, dh uses a thermometer remove from pan and let it rest while
you make the gravy of your choice with the drippings.

slice and serve with the trimmings of your choice.

you can spice this on both sides before rolling with the spices of your
choice, but dh cooks it plain because we try and get the hugest turkey
possible and after its roasted he cuts it into chuncks so we can freeze it.

this yeilds the two large rolls, two legs and two wings, which as i said
earlier he used to roast on top of the rolls. this makes a lot of meals and
freezes nicely...

once cold you can slice for sands or salads.

it reheats easily and you can also dice it for soup and other alaking type
things... but i am guessing as i typed that its not kosher...

other variations, use a chicken instead and make a stuffing of choice and
spread on a before you fold in the side and dark meat, then roll tightly as
before and roast as usual. if you are using a stuffing then it will do
better if you secure it.

starting with a chicken lets you get the hang of the process with a much
smaller weight so it won't get away from you as easily and become pet food.

when we freeze this sometimes dh slices what would be a meal for us, puts in
two servings i meant in a container and covers with gravy to freeze, so
reheating is easy and the gravy covering the meat keeps down freezer burn...
this works especially well with the stuffed version.

we also freese it in a chunck that is about eight oz to sixteen ounces
depending on how big the bird is and how easily it cut...

and totally unrelated but a tip i learned from the DHh's step mother, she
buys a turkey and cuts it in half with kitchen shears and freezes the half
she isn't cooking so she will have it later. she roasts it the regular way
but just puts the cut /inside part down.

I hope this makes some kind of sense

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:

: you can spice this on both sides before rolling with the spices of your
: choice, but dh cooks it plain because we try and get the hugest turkey
: possible and after its roasted he cuts it into chuncks so we can freeze it.

: once cold you can slice for sands or salads.

: it reheats easily and you can also dice it for soup and other alaking type
: things... but i am guessing as i typed that its not kosher...

This looks like it ould be good for a large buffet, so you wuld have
rether more even slices and can cut is easily.

My mother used to make a chicken a la king with a veloute sauce(that's
cream sauce made with chicken stock instea of the milk) it was very good,
too. I remember her putting pimento into it. You can get quite ingenious
in making many dishes kosher by clever substitutions.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

now that is clever and i would like to know more, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
>

> : you can spice this on both sides before rolling with the spices of your
> : choice, but dh cooks it plain because we try and get the hugest turkey
> : possible and after its roasted he cuts it into chuncks so we can freeze
> it.
>
> : once cold you can slice for sands or salads.
>
> : it reheats easily and you can also dice it for soup and other alaking
> type
> : things... but i am guessing as i typed that its not kosher...
>
> This looks like it ould be good for a large buffet, so you wuld have
> rether more even slices and can cut is easily.
>
> My mother used to make a chicken a la king with a veloute sauce(that's
> cream sauce made with chicken stock instea of the milk) it was very good,
> too. I remember her putting pimento into it. You can get quite ingenious
> in making many dishes kosher by clever substitutions.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the evenness of the slices as well as the presentation for a nice dinner
make this worthwhile... on the serving tray the nice golden brown crispy
skin along with the moist tender meat is wonderful, ad the marbeled effect
of the meat is also attractive... just truly so versatile, and when all the
work is done if you do a huge one lots of easy meals with little/no work...
and i forgot, those bones make great turkey broth. Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
>

> : you can spice this on both sides before rolling with the spices of your
> : choice, but dh cooks it plain because we try and get the hugest turkey
> : possible and after its roasted he cuts it into chuncks so we can freeze
> it.
>
> : once cold you can slice for sands or salads.
>
> : it reheats easily and you can also dice it for soup and other alaking
> type
> : things... but i am guessing as i typed that its not kosher...
>
> This looks like it ould be good for a large buffet, so you wuld have
> rether more even slices and can cut is easily.
>
> My mother used to make a chicken a la king with a veloute sauce(that's
> cream sauce made with chicken stock instea of the milk) it was very good,
> too. I remember her putting pimento into it. You can get quite ingenious
> in making many dishes kosher by clever substitutions.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee > wrote:
: now that is clever and i would like to know more, Lee
: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Storrmmee > wrote:
: >
: >
: >
: >
[...]

It's quite simple. Take any chicken A LaKing recipe you like and use the
chicken soup or stock in place of the milk in the "cream" sauce. I use
sliced musrooms and either pimento or fresh red peppers with a little
added inegar along with the cooked chicken. It is a great dish to use up
the chicken left from making soup.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, Lee
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Storrmmee > wrote:
> : now that is clever and i would like to know more, Lee
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > Storrmmee > wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > : you can spice this on both sides before rolling with the spices of
> your
> : > : choice, but dh cooks it plain because we try and get the hugest
> turkey
> : > : possible and after its roasted he cuts it into chuncks so we can
> freeze
> : > it.
> : >
> : > : once cold you can slice for sands or salads.
> : >
> : > : it reheats easily and you can also dice it for soup and other
> alaking
> : > type
> : > : things... but i am guessing as i typed that its not kosher...
> : >
> : > This looks like it ould be good for a large buffet, so you wuld have
> : > rether more even slices and can cut is easily.
> : >
> : > My mother used to make a chicken a la king with a veloute sauce(that's
> : > cream sauce made with chicken stock instea of the milk) it was very
> good,
> : > too. I remember her putting pimento into it. You can get quite
> ingenious
> : > in making many dishes kosher by clever substitutions.
> : >
> : > Wendy
>
> It's quite simple. Take any chicken A LaKing recipe you like and use the
> chicken soup or stock in place of the milk in the "cream" sauce. I use
> sliced musrooms and either pimento or fresh red peppers with a little
> added inegar along with the cooked chicken. It is a great dish to use up
> the chicken left from making soup.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> the evenness of the slices as well as the presentation for a nice dinner
> make this worthwhile... on the serving tray the nice golden brown crispy

Especially if ones husband is doing the preparation and cooking of it. ;-)
Unfortunately, my dh does not cook...ever.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what a drag, i found it more than attractive that he not only was willing to
cook he loves it and is excellent at it, Lees
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> the evenness of the slices as well as the presentation for a nice dinner
>> make this worthwhile... on the serving tray the nice golden brown crispy

> Especially if ones husband is doing the preparation and cooking of it. ;-)
> Unfortunately, my dh does not cook...ever.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>I have come to the conclusion that intellegint, and always in the same
>deminsion are not the same, LOL, Lee

Truly!

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my dh has several, ok a LOT of IQ points on me, but there are times when
things just get by him, lol, so glad its not in the food dept or we would
both have starved by now, Lee