Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb smoothie. Is it possible?

Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
sugar. So not good.

When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice milk
and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain or
vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.

I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she can
have it only twice a week.

I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I haven't
tried it yet. She might like that.

But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

what about adding some good quality fiber and protien powder, that would at
least balance it... and the MIL uses rice cream which isn't bad you might
consider it for the base so like a shake as its very close to dairy ice
cream, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
> smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
> I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
> sugar. So not good.
>
> When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
> milk and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk,
> plain or vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>
> I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she
> can have it only twice a week.
>
> I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
> strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
> haven't tried it yet. She might like that.
>
> But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My regular smoothies are low fat plain yoghurt, strawberries (or mixed
frozen berries) dash of splenda and brewer's yeast. Put in the bullet
with ice or if using frozen berries just put the berries in straight
from the freezer and you can omit the ice. My daughter in Sydney has one
for brekky every weekday morning. She likes whey powder, water, berries,
ice and a dash of Stevia. Keep away from the bananas and honey. You
could try berries and a bit of rockmelon (cantaloupe) or watermelon.
Canned water packed-apricots work for me too, re bg. Mango might be a
little carby (will this be breakfast?). She might even be ok with a bit
of carrot juice in it with the fruit. I personally like celery in
smoothies with some berries. One cup of whey powder (powder in cup of
water) should give about half the daily amount of protein needed. That
might help if she isn't a big meat eater but needs to keep the carbs
down.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait
> frozen smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in
> the blender. I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably
> yogurt and no doubt sugar. So not good.
>
> When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana,
> rice milk and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real
> milk, plain or vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>
> I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because
> she can have it only twice a week.
>
> I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with
> frozen strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet
> although I haven't tried it yet. She might like that.
>
> But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> what about adding some good quality fiber and protien powder, that would
> at least balance it... and the MIL uses rice cream which isn't bad you
> might consider it for the base so like a shake as its very close to dairy
> ice cream, Lee

I don't know what kind of protein powder I could use. No dairy or soy and
rice protein powder is high in carbs. So is rice cream. Very high in
carbs. It's loaded with sugar.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> My regular smoothies are low fat plain yoghurt, strawberries (or mixed
> frozen berries) dash of splenda and brewer's yeast. Put in the bullet with
> ice or if using frozen berries just put the berries in straight from the
> freezer and you can omit the ice. My daughter in Sydney has one for brekky
> every weekday morning. She likes whey powder, water, berries, ice and a
> dash of Stevia. Keep away from the bananas and honey. You could try
> berries and a bit of rockmelon (cantaloupe) or watermelon. Canned water
> packed-apricots work for me too, re bg. Mango might be a little carby
> (will this be breakfast?). She might even be ok with a bit of carrot
> juice in it with the fruit. I personally like celery in smoothies with
> some berries. One cup of whey powder (powder in cup of water) should give
> about half the daily amount of protein needed. That might help if she
> isn't a big meat eater but needs to keep the carbs down.

Not likely it would be breakfast. She is not a big breakfast eater at all
but she may be going on Metformin or something and if she needs it with
breakfast she will have to eat something then.

I can't use the whey powder or yogurt most of the time because they are
dairy. And the only smoothie type fruits she likes are strawberries and
bananas. I know bananas are out.

I do not make breakfast. Morning is not a good time of day for me. Last
year she did eat some coconut granola type bars for a while. I think she
could still do those but I will have to check the carb count. Or she might
just have some apple slices or baby carrots. That was about all I could get
her to eat.

Her lunch will come much later in the day than it did last year though.
Last year she had to eat lunch at 10:30 which is why I didn't push the
breakfast. I figured if I could just get a couple of bites of something in
her that would keep her until she could eat her lunch.

But then she wouldn't eat much lunch either. Maybe an applesauce, more
apple slices or carrots perhaps with a little tub of hummus. On a dairy day
she would have a small Lunchable nachos. Only one dairy day falls during
school though and she didn't always want those. I would have to check the
carb count but I think they are still doable. Or she would just take a
piece of cheese.

She seems to suffer from what her dad suffers from and it is the same thing
his dad had. Not wanting to eat during the day and wanting to eat all
night. I did see something about this somewhere and it is has a name for
it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name of it. That will
have to change too.

I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too many
bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have to
stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I had
just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her eating
some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.

Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not let her
have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere instead
of making them at home. But that will have to change now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i will ask the mil, she doesn't use any sugar products at all, this stuff
she gets is from the h/f store, and my memory, foggy, says its made with
either steivai or zylatol, sp

ask omlette about protien powders, i know she prefers whey but if anyone
knows of one for you it will be her, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> what about adding some good quality fiber and protien powder, that would
>> at least balance it... and the MIL uses rice cream which isn't bad you
>> might consider it for the base so like a shake as its very close to dairy
>> ice cream, Lee

> I don't know what kind of protein powder I could use. No dairy or soy and
> rice protein powder is high in carbs. So is rice cream. Very high in
> carbs. It's loaded with sugar.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if she can handle apples, i often have an entire apple in mine, i have
trouble chewing/digesting them as i get geizerly but if i put them in the
drink they don't bother me and they add great texture to it, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> She seems to suffer from what her dad suffers from and it is the same
> thing his dad had. Not wanting to eat during the day and wanting to eat
> all night. I did see something about this somewhere and it is has a name
> for it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name of it.
> That will have to change too.
>
> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too
> many bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have
> to stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I
> had just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her
> eating some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>
> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not let
> her have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere
> instead of making them at home. But that will have to change now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> [...]

> She seems to suffer from what her dad suffers from and it is the same
> thing his dad had. Not wanting to eat during the day and wanting to
> eat all night. I did see something about this somewhere and it is has
> a name for it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name
> of it. That will have to change too.
>
> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too
> many bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will
> have to stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar
> because I had just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I
> caught her eating some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>
> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not
> let her have them very often and more likely I will get them out
> somewhere instead of making them at home. But that will have to

How about half a cup of coconut milk, half a cup of water, strawberries
and some sweetener and ice.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/6/2011 3:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]

> She seems to suffer from what her dad suffers from and it is the same thing
> his dad had. Not wanting to eat during the day and wanting to eat all
> night. I did see something about this somewhere and it is has a name for
> it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name of it. That will
> have to change too.
>
> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too many
> bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have to
> stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I had
> just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her eating
> some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>
> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not let her
> have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere instead
> of making them at home. But that will have to change now.

did i hear Nutella smoothie???????

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/6/2011 3:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring
>> too many
>> bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have
>> stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I
>> had
>> just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her
>> eating
>> some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>>
>> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not
>> let her
>> have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere
>> instead
>> of making them at home. But that will have to change now.
>>

> did i hear Nutella smoothie???????

I think the Nutella is being ditched

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/6/2011 4:37 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>> On 8/6/2011 3:55 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too
>>> many
>>> bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have to
>>> stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I had
>>> just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her
>>> eating
>>> some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>>>
>>> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not
>>> let her
>>> have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere
>>> instead
>>> of making them at home. But that will have to change now.
>>>

>> did i hear Nutella smoothie???????
>>

> I think the Nutella is being ditched

teenlet has to have his Nutella

i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may i
guess sugar content?

kate

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/6/2011 4:37 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> did i hear Nutella smoothie???????
>>>

>> I think the Nutella is being ditched

> teenlet has to have his Nutella
>
> i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may i
> guess sugar content?

It also used to be loaded with trans fats. My kids went through a period
of liking it on toast then they got over it. Haven't bought it or had it
requested for years.

They have all finally got to the stage of asking for vegetables, woohoo
Earlier than me I might add, I was 21. Now look at me, could live on
veggies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

we tried it when costco had double bottles that were huge on offer... i gave
an unopened and a 3/4 bottle full to a df because neither of us cared for it
enough to be sure we would finish even one bottle, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I think the Nutella is being ditched

>> teenlet has to have his Nutella
>>
>> i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may i
>> guess sugar content?

> It also used to be loaded with trans fats. My kids went through a period
> of liking it on toast then they got over it. Haven't bought it or had it
> requested for years.
>
> They have all finally got to the stage of asking for vegetables, woohoo
> Earlier than me I might add, I was 21. Now look at me, could live on
> veggies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we tried it when costco had double bottles that were huge on offer...
> i gave an unopened and a 3/4 bottle full to a df because neither of us
> cared for it enough to be sure we would finish even one bottle, Lee

I can't stand the stuff. I like that kind if stuff as a solid

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> teenlet has to have his Nutella
>>>
>>> i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may
>>> i guess sugar content?

>> It also used to be loaded with trans fats. My kids went through a
>> period of liking it on toast then they got over it. Haven't bought it
>> or had it requested for years.
>>
>> They have all finally got to the stage of asking for vegetables,
>> woohoo Earlier than me I might add, I was 21. Now look at me,
>> could live on veggies

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

I hand not tried this byt how about a kind of mixed fruit sorbet done as a
slhushie smoothie. Mixes berries, fruits, etc, astrificial swttwnwe adn
water whapped up with some ice in it. See if it works.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I make a smoothie every day..usually with one cup of non bg raising frozen
fruit and a cup of milk and splenda and a scoop protein powder in the
blender...basically makes ice cream.

sometimes to make it really ice cream like I will add a splash of heavy
cream

the key is to use frozen fruit or freeze milk in ice cube tray then use
half regular milk and half frozen.

of course anything can be substituted like rice mile for milk and cocoa
powder instead of fruit etc etc.

I can make a Wendy's frosty with next to no carbs.

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote
I hand not tried this byt how about a kind of mixed fruit sorbet done as a
slhushie smoothie. Mixes berries, fruits, etc, astrificial swttwnwe adn
water whapped up with some ice in it. See if it works.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> if she can handle apples, i often have an entire apple in mine, i have
> trouble chewing/digesting them as i get geizerly but if i put them in the
> drink they don't bother me and they add great texture to it, Lee

She loves apples. Thanks. I will try that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> [...]

>> thing his dad had. Not wanting to eat during the day and wanting to eat
>> all night. I did see something about this somewhere and it is has a name
>> for it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name of it.
>> That will have to change too.
>>
>> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too
>> many bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have
>> to stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I
>> had just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her
>> eating some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>>
>> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not let
>> her have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere
>> instead of making them at home. But that will have to change now.

> How about half a cup of coconut milk, half a cup of water, strawberries

Is coconut milk low in carbs? I will try that. Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> it. Some kind of disorder. But I can't remember the name of it. That
>> will
>> have to change too.
>>
>> I don't think she necessarily eats bad foods. I tend not to bring too
>> many
>> bad foods home. But she has been sneaking food. And that will have to
>> stop. She wanted Nutella. I only let her buy a small jar because I had
>> just thrown out a large jar that had expired. Tonight I caught her
>> eating
>> some from a spoon. That will have to stop too.
>>
>> Normally when she does have smoothies they are for snacks. I do not let
>> her
>> have them very often and more likely I will get them out somewhere
>> instead
>> of making them at home. But that will have to change now.

Eeeeeew. Now that sounds just awful. But then I can't stand Nutella.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/6/2011 4:37 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> did i hear Nutella smoothie???????
>>>

>> I think the Nutella is being ditched

> teenlet has to have his Nutella
>
> i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may i
> guess sugar content?

I would think so. Although I'll bet there's a way to make it low carb. Our
health food store sells another brand that I think has no sugar but it is
cross contaminated by peanuts so she can't have it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I think the Nutella is being ditched

>> teenlet has to have his Nutella
>>
>> i vaguely remember giving it up not long after diagnosis....... may i
>> guess sugar content?

> It also used to be loaded with trans fats. My kids went through a period
> of liking it on toast then they got over it. Haven't bought it or had it
> requested for years.
>
> They have all finally got to the stage of asking for vegetables, woohoo
> Earlier than me I might add, I was 21. Now look at me, could live on
> veggies

All I wanted was veggies when I was a kid. Well that and some cheese!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> we tried it when costco had double bottles that were huge on offer... i
> gave an unopened and a 3/4 bottle full to a df because neither of us cared
> for it enough to be sure we would finish even one bottle, Lee

Yeah. That's what we bought. I think one was never opened and the other
only partially eaten.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>i will ask the mil, she doesn't use any sugar products at all, this stuff
>she gets is from the h/f store, and my memory, foggy, says its made with
>either steivai or zylatol, sp
>
> ask omlette about protien powders, i know she prefers whey but if anyone
> knows of one for you it will be her, Lee

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait
> frozen
> : smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the
> blender.
> : I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no
> doubt
> : sugar. So not good.
>
> : When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
> milk
> : and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain
> or
> : vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>
> : I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she
> can
> : have it only twice a week.
>
> : I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
> : strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
> haven't
> : tried it yet. She might like that.
>
> : But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>
> : Thanks!
> I hand not tried this byt how about a kind of mixed fruit sorbet done as a
> slhushie smoothie. Mixes berries, fruits, etc, astrificial swttwnwe adn
> water whapped up with some ice in it. See if it works.

Thanks. I used to make a dessert with frozen pineapple chunks and chilled
pineapple juice. You put it in the blender and it is sort of like a sorbet
but perhaps a bit runnier. Very good though!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

man that with some coconut milk if low enough carb would be just
outstanding, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>> : Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait
>> frozen
>> : smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the
>> blender.
>> : I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no
>> doubt
>> : sugar. So not good.
>>
>> : When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
>> milk
>> : and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk,
>> plain or
>> : vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>>
>> : I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because
>> she can
>> : have it only twice a week.
>>
>> : I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
>> : strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
>> haven't
>> : tried it yet. She might like that.
>>
>> : But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>>
>> : Thanks!
>> I hand not tried this byt how about a kind of mixed fruit sorbet done as
>> slhushie smoothie. Mixes berries, fruits, etc, astrificial swttwnwe adn
>> water whapped up with some ice in it. See if it works.

> Thanks. I used to make a dessert with frozen pineapple chunks and chilled
> pineapple juice. You put it in the blender and it is sort of like a
> sorbet but perhaps a bit runnier. Very good though!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Pina coladas! I would use coconut cream I think for that. And rum
essence.

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> man that with some coconut milk if low enough carb would be just
> outstanding, Lee
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> : Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4)
>>> Yoplait frozen
>>> : smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the
>>> blender.
>>> : I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and
>>> no doubt
>>> : sugar. So not good.
>>>
>>> : When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana,
>>> rice milk
>>> : and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk,
>>> plain or
>>> : vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>>>
>>> : I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy
>>> because she can
>>> : have it only twice a week.
>>>
>>> : I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with
>>> frozen
>>> : strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although
>>> I haven't
>>> : tried it yet. She might like that.
>>>
>>> : But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>>>
>>> : Thanks!
>>> I hand not tried this byt how about a kind of mixed fruit sorbet
>>> done as a
>>> slhushie smoothie. Mixes berries, fruits, etc, astrificial swttwnwe
>>> adn
>>> water whapped up with some ice in it. See if it works.

>> Thanks. I used to make a dessert with frozen pineapple chunks and
>> chilled pineapple juice. You put it in the blender and it is sort of
>> like a sorbet but perhaps a bit runnier. Very good though!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

very close, my moms favorite drink when out is a vrgin p/c, and a couple of
dabs of shredded coconut would be nice, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Pina coladas! I would use coconut cream I think for that. And rum
> essence.
>
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man that with some coconut milk if low enough carb would be just
>> outstanding, Lee

>>> Thanks. I used to make a dessert with frozen pineapple chunks and
>>> chilled pineapple juice. You put it in the blender and it is sort of
>>> like a sorbet but perhaps a bit runnier. Very good though!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
> smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
> I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
> sugar. So not good.
>
> When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice milk
> and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain or
> vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>
> I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she can
> have it only twice a week.
>
> I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
> strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I haven't
> tried it yet. She might like that.
>
> But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>
> Thanks!

First, all fruits have some sugar (fructose) the trick is to pick
those with the lowest.

The ADA has a fine book (paperback) that list foods (including
fruits)carb-content:

"Diabetes Carbohydrate & Fat Gram Guide"
(note the below link should be one line) ADA $16.95
http://www.shopdiabetes.org/104-Diab...ampai gn=BOOK
OR Amazon $9.63
http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Carbo...dp/1580403409/

Of course, we Diabetics have to pay attention to NET or "Impact"
carbs. The carbs that impact or diabetic problem.

NET = "Total Carbs" - "Dietary Fiber" - "Sugar Alcohols"

The other thing you can do is use Splenda. (granular boxed use for
baking, etc.)

Then you can use *unsweetened* yogurt and/or almond/coconut "milk."

Also, are you aware of these sites:

"Diabetes Self-Management"
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/

"Carbohydrate Guide" (blog site)
http://www.carbohydrate-guide.com/

"Carb Counter"
http://www.carb-counter.org/

--
==== Tecknomage ====
Be mindful that happiness isn't based on

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tecknomage" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait
>> frozen
>> smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the
>> blender.
>> I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no
>> doubt
>> sugar. So not good.
>>
>> When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
>> milk
>> and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain
>> or
>> vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>>
>> I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she
>> can
>> have it only twice a week.
>>
>> I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
>> strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
>> haven't
>> tried it yet. She might like that.
>>
>> But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> First, all fruits have some sugar (fructose) the trick is to pick
> those with the lowest.
>
> The ADA has a fine book (paperback) that list foods (including
> fruits)carb-content:
>
> "Diabetes Carbohydrate & Fat Gram Guide"
> (note the below link should be one line) ADA $16.95
> http://www.shopdiabetes.org/104-Diab...ampai gn=BOOK
> OR Amazon $9.63
> http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Carbo...dp/1580403409/
>

> Of course, we Diabetics have to pay attention to NET or "Impact"
> carbs. The carbs that impact or diabetic problem.
>
> NET = "Total Carbs" - "Dietary Fiber" - "Sugar Alcohols"

I know what the carb count of fruits are.

> The other thing you can do is use Splenda. (granular boxed use for
> baking, etc.)
>
> Then you can use *unsweetened* yogurt and/or almond/coconut "milk."

She's allergic to almonds. And doesn't like coconut milk. Or unsweetened
yogurt.

> Also, are you aware of these sites:
>
> "Diabetes Self-Management"
> http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/
>
> "Carbohydrate Guide" (blog site)
> http://www.carbohydrate-guide.com/
>
> "Carb Counter"
> http://www.carb-counter.org/

No but I don't need them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
>smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
>I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
>sugar. So not good.
>
>When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice milk
>and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain or
>vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>
>I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she can
>have it only twice a week.
>
>I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
>strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I haven't
>tried it yet. She might like that.
>
>But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>
>Thanks!

I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a couple of months. I don't
know all your daughter's dietary restrictions but you could try almond
milk and frozen fruits for a smoothie. I used almond milk when I
couldn't have any dairy. It's actually quite good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
>>smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
>>I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
>>sugar. So not good.
>>
>>When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
>>milk
>>and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain
>>or
>>vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>>
>>I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she
>>can
>>have it only twice a week.
>>
>>I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
>>strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
>>haven't
>>tried it yet. She might like that.
>>
>>But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a couple of months. I don't
> know all your daughter's dietary restrictions but you could try almond
> milk and frozen fruits for a smoothie. I used almond milk when I
> couldn't have any dairy. It's actually quite good.

She's allergic to almonds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:32:37 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait frozen
>>>smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in the blender.
>>>I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably yogurt and no doubt
>>>sugar. So not good.
>>>
>>>When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana, rice
>>>milk
>>>and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real milk, plain
>>>or
>>>vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.
>>>
>>>I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because she
>>>can
>>>have it only twice a week.
>>>
>>>I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with frozen
>>>strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet although I
>>>haven't
>>>tried it yet. She might like that.
>>>
>>>But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>> I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a couple of months. I don't
>> know all your daughter's dietary restrictions but you could try almond
>> milk and frozen fruits for a smoothie. I used almond milk when I
>> couldn't have any dairy. It's actually quite good.

>She's allergic to almonds.

Sorry. I didn't know that. I hope you find something that will work.
Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 16:32:37 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:48:28 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"

>>> I'm fairly new here, been lurking for a couple of months. I don't
>>> know all your daughter's dietary restrictions but you could try almond
>>> milk and frozen fruits for a smoothie. I used almond milk when I
>>> couldn't have any dairy. It's actually quite good.

>>She's allergic to almonds.

> Sorry. I didn't know that. I hope you find something that will work.
> Karen

Thanks!

Member

well then u should try some low fat milk . And use honey intead of suger . And also banana takes alots of suger in it . I dont think so that it's a better option for dibetic patient . Then always use fruits those have less suger . Best of luck
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Michealleo" > wrote in message

> well then u should try some low fat milk . And use honey intead of suger
> And also banana takes alots of suger in it . I dont think so that it's
> a better option for dibetic patient . Then always use fruits those have
> less suger . Best of luck

Low fat milk is high in carbs. And I want to avoid dairy. And honey?
That's the same as sugar.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Angela loves smoothies. I bought 4 (and thankfully only 4) Yoplait
frozen smoothie thingies. I think you just add milk and put them in
the blender. I know they contain berries, perhaps bananas, probably
yogurt and no doubt sugar. So not good.

When I make them from scratch I use frozen strawberries, a banana,
rice milk and a drizzle of honey. Or if making a dairy one I use real
milk, plain or vanilla yogurt and again the honey. Again, not good.

I need something lower in carbs and preferably without dairy because
she can have it only twice a week.

I am thinking I might be able to do a granita type of thing with
frozen strawberries by just whizzing them up in the Magic Bullet
although I haven't tried it yet. She might like that.

But can anyone think of how I could do a lower carb smoothie?

Thanks!
I make smoothie in the same way as you are making but I don't add any sugar and if sugar is required I add sucralose. But I don't know the exact content of the carbohydrates in it.