Hahabogus

Default tilapia hold the flour...

Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: Tilapia
From: Julia Altshuler >

Mama2EandJ wrote:
> I had this marvelous fish for the first time at a monastery a few weeks

ago and
> today I found some filets (instead of the whole fish) at the grocery

store. I
> will either bake it or cook it in a skillet. Anyone have any recipes for

it
> that are tried and true? I only found 2 on SOAR (hard to believe) so I

thought
> I'd ask the experts here.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Now I am to Google it and see what I get.

There was a tilapia thread August 13, 2003. Here's my contribution from
back then:

I start by dredging the tilapia fillets in flour, corn meal, dried dill and
white pepper. Then I melt butter in a frying pan, place the fillets in
it, cook
on one side for a few minutes and then flip having melted another
tablespoon of
butter in the pan first. When the fish is white, flaky and cooked through,
possibly browned on the outside, I remove it to the plates. I melt a
little
more butter and saute onions, garlic, green and red bell peppers until
all are
wilted. (Wilted in this case isn't a bad word. It means softened while
maintaining a little texture and crunch.) At the last moment, I add a few
ounces of plain tomato sauce. (I use canned. So sue me.) A tablespoon of
balsamic vinegar is nice too. Spoon the sauce over the fish and serve.

--Lia

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
ankalime

I got this recipe from a grocery many years ago and lost the printed recipe
shortly thereafter. I cook more according to feel than measure anyway, so
consider everything below as an approximation. I always feel like there
should be more mushrooms and more cheese.

Ingredients:
4 tilapia filets
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup finely diced onion
butter or olive oil
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
bread crumbs or additional grated parmesan
salt/pepper/herbs/paprika

Pat the filets with a paper towel to dry. Place in a lightly oiled 8"x8"
baking dish so that filets do not overlap. Season lightly with salt and
pepper.

In a pan over medium heat, begin sauteing the onion in a small amount of
butter or olive oil. When the onions first begin to turn translucent, add
the mushrooms and saute until just softened. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a cup or small bowl, combine the sour cream and parmesan well. Season
with salt/pepper or herbs if desired. Dill weed is nice.

Spread some of the sauted mushroom mixture on top of each of the filets in a
layer to cover the filet. Then carefully spoon some of the sour cream
mixture on top of the mushrooms, again spreading to cover. Sprinkle with a
little paprika and a touch of bread crumbs or additional parmesan.

Bake in a 400 F degree oven for about 25 minutes or until the fish is cooked
through and flakes easily. Remove to a plate with a spatula. I often serve
this with steamed spinach. Serves four.

--
anka
DM Type 2, dx'd 3/2004

"Hahabogus" > wrote in message
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
> Subject: Tilapia
> From: Julia Altshuler >
>
> Mama2EandJ wrote:
> > I had this marvelous fish for the first time at a monastery a few weeks

> ago and
> > today I found some filets (instead of the whole fish) at the grocery

> store. I
> > will either bake it or cook it in a skillet. Anyone have any recipes for

> it
> > that are tried and true? I only found 2 on SOAR (hard to believe) so I

> thought
> > I'd ask the experts here.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Now I am to Google it and see what I get.

> There was a tilapia thread August 13, 2003. Here's my contribution from
> back then:
>
> I start by dredging the tilapia fillets in flour, corn meal, dried dill

and
> white pepper. Then I melt butter in a frying pan, place the fillets in
> it, cook
> on one side for a few minutes and then flip having melted another
> tablespoon of
> butter in the pan first. When the fish is white, flaky and cooked

through,
> possibly browned on the outside, I remove it to the plates. I melt a
> little
> more butter and saute onions, garlic, green and red bell peppers until
> all are
> wilted. (Wilted in this case isn't a bad word. It means softened while
> maintaining a little texture and crunch.) At the last moment, I add a few
> ounces of plain tomato sauce. (I use canned. So sue me.) A tablespoon of
> balsamic vinegar is nice too. Spoon the sauce over the fish and serve.
>

> --Lia
>

> --
> Starchless in Manitoba.

Hahabogus

"ankalime" <ankalimeAThotmailDOTcom> wrote in
:

> I got this recipe from a grocery many years ago and lost the printed
> recipe shortly thereafter. I cook more according to feel than measure
> anyway, so consider everything below as an approximation. I always
> feel like there should be more mushrooms and more cheese.
>

> --
> anka
> DM Type 2, dx'd 3/2004
> NTG, dx'd 7/2004