Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eggplant Parm recipe.....was Quick and dirty soup!

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> >i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe
> >size we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat
> >soup for a snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am
> >interestd in it and the eggplant parm also... if i can convince DH to
> >let me have eggplant again soon that is, Lee

> Lee, even eggplant haters love this. Meat loaf recipe is coming next,
> but in a separate post.
>
> *****Melanzana Parmigiana******
> [recipe snipped]

Oregano, basil and bay leaf are nice adds to the sauce.

Run the oil just below the smoke point and don't overload the fryer or the
eggplant may absorb too much oil. Putting the fried slices on a grill grate
lets any oil and stuff drip off.

Your assembly and cooking are also spot on! Are you Italian? I do like to
sprinkle a little parmesan on each layer of eggplant before the sauce
layer. Must be my Sicilian heritage! If you're not a vegetarian, a THIN
slice of prosciutto (or pastrami?) on the eggplant is nice, too.

Crusty bread, a salad and a bottle of a dry, red wine. <sigh>

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> >i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe
>> >size we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat
>> >soup for a snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am
>> >interestd in it and the eggplant parm also... if i can convince DH to
>> >let me have eggplant again soon that is, Lee

>> Lee, even eggplant haters love this. Meat loaf recipe is coming next,
>> but in a separate post.
>>
>> *****Melanzana Parmigiana******
>> [recipe snipped]

> Oregano, basil and bay leaf are nice adds to the sauce.
>
> Run the oil just below the smoke point and don't overload the fryer or the
> eggplant may absorb too much oil. Putting the fried slices on a grill
> grate
> lets any oil and stuff drip off.
>
> Your assembly and cooking are also spot on! Are you Italian? I do like to
> sprinkle a little parmesan on each layer of eggplant before the sauce
> layer. Must be my Sicilian heritage! If you're not a vegetarian, a THIN
> slice of prosciutto (or pastrami?) on the eggplant is nice, too.
>
> Crusty bread, a salad and a bottle of a dry, red wine. <sigh>

Hi Nick,

My first mother in law was Italian (Sicilian) and she taught me to cook.

I use a jarred sauce - a decent quality sauce like Prego works fine for
eggplant parm, but if you are a purist, you can use your own sauce, seasoned
exactly the way you like.

As you may have noticed, I put the grated cheese right in the breadcrumb
mixture as I was taught, and when it gets toasted as it fries, it is even
better tasting.

I always make my eggplant as a vegetarian dish, since I have a couple of
veggie friends and relatives and need something on hand to serve them in a
hurry if they are coming over.

As for me, I go heavier on the salad, lighter on the crusty bread, but
nobody notices, but my meter does..... :-)

Often I will make some quick turkey meatballs in some tomato sauce and serve
them on the side for the serious meat eaters in the crowd.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Hi Nick,
>
> My first mother in law was Italian (Sicilian) and she taught me to cook.

Where in Sicily, if you know?

> I use a jarred sauce - a decent quality sauce like Prego works fine for
> eggplant parm, but if you are a purist, you can use your own sauce,
> seasoned exactly the way you like.

When our San Marzano tomatoes are in, we make our own. Otherwise bottled.

> As you may have noticed, I put the grated cheese right in the breadcrumb
> mixture as I was taught, and when it gets toasted as it fries, it is even
> better tasting.

Yes. I saw that. Toasting Parmigiano on garlic bread is nice, too.

> I always make my eggplant as a vegetarian dish, since I have a couple of
> veggie friends and relatives and need something on hand to serve them in
> a hurry if they are coming over.
>
> As for me, I go heavier on the salad, lighter on the crusty bread, but
> nobody notices, but my meter does..... :-)

A bowl of EVOO and a good Balsamic is nice for dipping the bread in. I dip
it in my wine, too.

> Often I will make some quick turkey meatballs in some tomato sauce and
> serve them on the side for the serious meat eaters in the crowd.

Serious meat eaters don't eat _turkey_ meatballs!!! LOL

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Hi Nick,
>>
>> My first mother in law was Italian (Sicilian) and she taught me to cook.

> Where in Sicily, if you know?
>
>> I use a jarred sauce - a decent quality sauce like Prego works fine for
>> eggplant parm, but if you are a purist, you can use your own sauce,
>> seasoned exactly the way you like.

> When our San Marzano tomatoes are in, we make our own. Otherwise bottled.
>
>> As you may have noticed, I put the grated cheese right in the breadcrumb
>> mixture as I was taught, and when it gets toasted as it fries, it is even
>> better tasting.

> Yes. I saw that. Toasting Parmigiano on garlic bread is nice, too.
>
>> I always make my eggplant as a vegetarian dish, since I have a couple of
>> veggie friends and relatives and need something on hand to serve them in
>> a hurry if they are coming over.
>>
>> As for me, I go heavier on the salad, lighter on the crusty bread, but
>> nobody notices, but my meter does..... :-)

> A bowl of EVOO and a good Balsamic is nice for dipping the bread in. I dip
> it in my wine, too.
>
>> Often I will make some quick turkey meatballs in some tomato sauce and
>> serve them on the side for the serious meat eaters in the crowd.

> Serious meat eaters don't eat _turkey_ meatballs!!! LOL

Nick, I hope you try them at least once. I never thought I would see the
day, but my meat eating husband likes them even better than traditional beef
meatballs! Put the exact same stuff you would put in the regular ones, and
bake them on a cookie sheet first before putting them into your sauce. Do
try it!
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Quick and dirty soup!

i have to start naking my list for the new stove. DH wants a written list,
like what i gave him verbally for the frige, the top item of course is the
space it has to fit in, that will narrow the field quite a bit, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> when we moved into tis house about seventeen years ago there was an
>> avacado green el stove, frig and dw, all from knemoore... all ave died
>> except the stove... its getting quite elderly and cranky but until it
>> totally dies its staying right there. i love it because all of the
>> controls are on the front of the stove and range hood, so no reaching
>> over a hot pot to adjust the heat. Lee

> When I bought my thermador range, that was one of the prerequisites!
>
> This was my list;
>
> convection, self cleaning oven
> gas cooktop, but electric oven and broiler
> continuous grids on top, so I could slide pots from one spot to another
> without lifting them.
> easy cleaning on top. (I am a serious cook and make messes!)
> Stainless steel and nice styling.
> VERY low simmer setting.
>
> I got all those goodies but I had to pay top buck for it. Nowadays you
> can find many of these features in cheaper ranges. Stepson just bought a
> frigidaire for under $1,000 with most of those features, but not all.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, we both like it, me more than him, but it really kills my joints, if
it weren't for that i would try and eat it a couple of times a week, but
once i ate it twice in a week, so i was stiff, got a migraine, and couldn't
make it to the bathroom to hurl, DH says no more than once a month, and only
when he knows we have nothing to do for three or four days, again thanks,
Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>and the egg plant parm also... if i can convince DH to let me have egg
>>plant again soon that is, Lee

> Lee, even eggplant haters love this. Meat loaf recipe is coming next, but
> in a separate post.
>

> *****Eggplant Parmigiana******
>
> First get these items ready......
>
> Sliced eggplant - not too thin, a little less than half an inch slices.
> Leave the skin on.
> Have some jarred sauce at the ready and shredded mozzarella cheese, I
> shred it in food processor.
> Baking dish - (not aluminum).
> Olive oil for frying
>
> (I do not salt the eggplant slices as some do, but I take care to get a
> fresh, firm shiny one, so that it is not bitter).
>
> Couple of beaten eggs for dipping, and breadcrumb mixture to coat.
>
> To EACH cup of Italian style seasoned breadcrumbs add 1/3 cup of grated
> Romano cheese, a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, and fresh ground black
> pepper. For a large eggplant I might use about two cups of breadcrumbs
> with the appropriate additions of cheese and salt etc.
>
> OK now you are ready to cook.
>
> Dip slices of eggplant into beaten egg then into breadcrumbs and fry in
> olive oil till golden brown and tender to a fork. Remove the slices to a
> large platter to wait. (if the pan begins to collect too many bits of
> burnt breadcrumbs and cheese, you may need to take a break, stop frying
> slices....rinse it out and start with new oil in a clean pan. When I make
> eggplant I sometimes find I need to do that at least once.)
>
> Once all the eggplant slices are fried golden and tender and reserved to
> the side platter, you can begin to assemble the dish.
>
> Put some sauce in the bottom of the baking pan. Add a layer of eggplant
> slices. You can cut them to fit if you want. (Save a couple of the
> nicest slices for last, or topmost layer). Top the slices with more sauce
> and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat more slices, sauce and
> mozzarella till you come to the last layer. Top with more sauce and more
> mozzarella cheese.
>
> Now.... if you are going to cook it that day, put it into a 350 oven and
> bake till the cheese melts and sauce is bubbly. Sometimes I tent foil
> over it first, taking care not to let it stick to the cheese while the pan
> heats fully through. Keep an eye not to let the cheese brown too much.
>
> This served with crusty bread and a salad can be a very nice vegetarian
> meal.
>
> ***********
>
> If you are going to freeze it, first top it with a layer of saran or press
> and seal, then with foil, then freeze it. Of course you remove the saran
> wrap BEFORE you bake it when you take it out of the freezer.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that sounds nice, chianti, is the only red wine i have found i can drink
without a migraine, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> >i am a huge beleiver in bulk cooking, especailly when i freeze in tthe
>> >size we need for a meal. i freeze the soup in single portions, i eat
>> >soup for a snack... now please post your meat loaf recipe, i am
>> >interestd in it and the eggplant parm also... if i can convince DH to
>> >let me have eggplant again soon that is, Lee

>> Lee, even eggplant haters love this. Meat loaf recipe is coming next,
>> but in a separate post.
>>
>> *****Melanzana Parmigiana******
>> [recipe snipped]

> Oregano, basil and bay leaf are nice adds to the sauce.
>
> Run the oil just below the smoke point and don't overload the fryer or the
> eggplant may absorb too much oil. Putting the fried slices on a grill
> grate
> lets any oil and stuff drip off.
>
> Your assembly and cooking are also spot on! Are you Italian? I do like to
> sprinkle a little parmesan on each layer of eggplant before the sauce
> layer. Must be my Sicilian heritage! If you're not a vegetarian, a THIN
> slice of prosciutto (or pastrami?) on the eggplant is nice, too.
>
> Crusty bread, a salad and a bottle of a dry, red wine. <sigh>
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Meatloaf recipe - was Quick and dirty soup!

very similar to what i make, meat loaf is one of the few things i do make
well, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> [...]

> *****Meat loaf recipe*******
>
> All quantities are variable to some degree.... use your own judgement.
>
> Ground beef, ground turkey, veal, whatever combination you want to use.
>
> I always include a lb. of spicy sausage meat, the kind that comes frozen
> in the small plastic wrapper, or you can buy fresh sausage meat from a
> butcher. Spicier is better. Parks hot and sagey is our favorite if you
> can get it. Sometimes I use Bob Evans sausage since it is usually
> available where I live.
>
> Grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped celery - estimate the amounts.
> FRESH chopped parsley is essential. Not the same without it!!!!
> eggs (one egg per lb. of meat)
> breadcrumbs..... I prefer plain breadcrumbs in meat loaf.
> ketchup - some in the mix, some on top of the loaf
> worcestershire sauce - a tablespoon or so.
> Salt and pepper to taste
> one medium sized clove of garlic pressed through a garlic press. Be
> careful it can overwhelm.
>
> Put your meats in a big mixing bowl, add your one egg per lb of meat,
> breadcrumbs and salt and pepper and fresh chopped parsley.
>
> In a frying pan on the side, put all your vegetables, grated carrot,
> chopped celery, chopped onion and the garlic clove (which you squeeze
> through a garlic press or finely mince). Add a bit of water to that pan,
> and water-saute' the veggies just a few minutes till they are softened.
> You can cover the pan while they cook. This par boiling is essential so
> the veggies blend really well and are fully softened.
>
> Set aside to cool.
>
> When they are cool enough to handle, add them to the big bowl with the
> meat and eggs and breadcrumbs. Add a squirt of ketchup into the mixture,
> and a little worcestershire sauce.
>
> Mix the whole thing with your hands till all is blended.
>
> Put into a loaf pan, and make a sort of a "well" around the outside of the
> meat loaf, to catch drippings and liquid etc. Coat the meat loaf with
> ketchup lightly.
>
> Bake at 350,.... for about an hour, or until the ketchup coating begins to
> show some tiny dark spots on top.
>
> During the cooking time, I occasionally remove it from the oven, and pour
> off the drippings into a waiting saucepan, to reserve to make gravy with
> afterwards, then I put the loaf back into the oven to continue to cook
> till done.
>
> ***************
>
> Meat loaf gravy- if you are inclined to make a gravy from those reserved
> drippings, I add a can of beef stock to it or else a can of onion soup, or
> both, whichever I have on hand. I make a flour and water slurry and
> thicken that into gravy. Somehow meat loaf is better with a little
> gravy on it!
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Hi Nick,
> >>
> >> My first mother in law was Italian (Sicilian) and she taught me to
> >> cook.

> > Where in Sicily, if you know?

> > Serious meat eaters don't eat _turkey_ meatballs!!! LOL

> Nick, I hope you try them at least once. I never thought I would see
> the day, but my meat eating husband likes them even better than
> traditional beef meatballs! Put the exact same stuff you would put in
> the regular ones, and bake them on a cookie sheet first before putting
> them into your sauce. Do try it!

My daughter buys turkey bacon, franks, etc. I can't stand them! My least
favorite bird after seagull!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> that sounds nice, chianti, is the only red wine i have found i can drink
> without a migraine, Lee

Chianti (Ruffino) is my favorite (not that stuff in a straw wrapper), Have
you tried Bardolino? Valpolacella? Bolla makes nice ones.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> that sounds nice, chianti, is the only red wine i have found i can drink
>> without a migraine, Lee

> Chianti (Ruffino) is my favorite (not that stuff in a straw wrapper), Have
> you tried Bardolino? Valpolacella? Bolla makes nice ones.

I really like australian wines myself, and find they are reasonable in cost
and good quality. Interestingly enough, if you want a REALLY good French
red wine that gave me no headache whatsoever, I saved the name of this one
someone recently brought over; Domaine Notre Dame, Syrah-Grenache 2007 I
have no idea what it cost, but it was light, dry, crisp and incredibly
delicious. Now I am trying to find the local store where it was bought so
I can get more of it.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > Where in Sicily, if you know?

>> > Serious meat eaters don't eat _turkey_ meatballs!!! LOL

>> Nick, I hope you try them at least once. I never thought I would see
>> the day, but my meat eating husband likes them even better than
>> traditional beef meatballs! Put the exact same stuff you would put in
>> the regular ones, and bake them on a cookie sheet first before putting
>> them into your sauce. Do try it!

> My daughter buys turkey bacon, franks, etc. I can't stand them! My least
> favorite bird after seagull!

A far cry from fresh ground turkey meat!
Those fake products are disgusting.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:47:15 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> wrote:

>thanks, we both like it, me more than him, but it really kills my joints, if
>it weren't for that i would try and eat it a couple of times a week, but
>once i ate it twice in a week, so i was stiff, got a migraine, and couldn't
>make it to the bathroom to hurl, DH says no more than once a month, and only
>when he knows we have nothing to do for three or four days, again thanks,
>Lee

Wow, bad luck! Is it the parmesan that sets you off, or something
else?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:47:15 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>thanks, we both like it, me more than him, but it really kills my joints,
>>if
>>it weren't for that i would try and eat it a couple of times a week, but
>>once i ate it twice in a week, so i was stiff, got a migraine, and
>>couldn't
>>make it to the bathroom to hurl, DH says no more than once a month, and
>>only
>>when he knows we have nothing to do for three or four days, again thanks,
>>Lee

> Wow, bad luck! Is it the parmesan that sets you off, or something
> else?

Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family of
plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are irritating
to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to avoid them
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i like the real bird but can't abide the dogs, or bacon, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > Where in Sicily, if you know?

>> > Serious meat eaters don't eat _turkey_ meatballs!!! LOL

>> Nick, I hope you try them at least once. I never thought I would see
>> the day, but my meat eating husband likes them even better than
>> traditional beef meatballs! Put the exact same stuff you would put in
>> the regular ones, and bake them on a cookie sheet first before putting
>> them into your sauce. Do try it!

> My daughter buys turkey bacon, franks, etc. I can't stand them! My least
> favorite bird after seagull!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

to be honest i drink whatever dh pts in front of me, he picks all the reds,
and the last two he has gotten i have tried without a headache, his
upbringing is his guide, so i suspect his coices are similar to yours, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> that sounds nice, chianti, is the only red wine i have found i can drink
>> without a migraine, Lee

> Chianti (Ruffino) is my favorite (not that stuff in a straw wrapper), Have
> you tried Bardolino? Valpolacella? Bolla makes nice ones.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i will save this post along with nicks, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>>> that sounds nice, chianti, is the only red wine i have found i can drink
>>> without a migraine, Lee

>> Chianti (Ruffino) is my favorite (not that stuff in a straw wrapper),
>> Have
>> you tried Bardolino? Valpolacella? Bolla makes nice ones.

> I really like australian wines myself, and find they are reasonable in
> cost and good quality. Interestingly enough, if you want a REALLY good
> French red wine that gave me no headache whatsoever, I saved the name of
> this one someone recently brought over; Domaine Notre Dame,
> Syrah-Grenache 2007 I have no idea what it cost, but it was light, dry,
> crisp and incredibly delicious. Now I am trying to find the local store
> where it was bought so I can get more of it.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no its actually the egg plant, its a nightshade plant, and most of them
bother my joints, tomatoes are ok if i don't touch the greenery, which
breaks me out in blisters everywhere i touch it, egg plant makes my joints
stiff like i have run a thousand miles, and in over abundance it gives me a
migraine. cheese does affect me but i have learned my limits so am able to
enjoy good cheese occasionally, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:47:15 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>thanks, we both like it, me more than him, but it really kills my joints,
>>if
>>it weren't for that i would try and eat it a couple of times a week, but
>>once i ate it twice in a week, so i was stiff, got a migraine, and
>>couldn't
>>make it to the bathroom to hurl, DH says no more than once a month, and
>>only
>>when he knows we have nothing to do for three or four days, again thanks,
>>Lee

> Wow, bad luck! Is it the parmesan that sets you off, or something
> else?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is me, i can eat everything in moderation except the egg plants, the
greenery from all of them make me itch and tomato greenery literally makes
blisters errupt everywhere i touch it, and when you type and read braille it
sucks to have your fingers blistered... i love everything in the nightshade
family but do watch it very close because if i overdo it is so much a
pita... the episode where i didn't make it to hurl was a week where i had
made egg plant with tomatoes and summer squash in a cassarole, then we went
to the hated casino and ate ty food... one of the few good things about this
casino... it was sauteed egg plant in garlic sauce with some spice i don't
know the name of... excellent dish made with little bitty egg plants, man
was it ever good, and man did i pay... dh says not only does he not want me
to suffer like that again... i couldnt move to clean up or do cat boxes
either.

Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:47:15 -0500, "Stormmmee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>thanks, we both like it, me more than him, but it really kills my joints,
>>>if
>>>it weren't for that i would try and eat it a couple of times a week, but
>>>once i ate it twice in a week, so i was stiff, got a migraine, and
>>>couldn't
>>>make it to the bathroom to hurl, DH says no more than once a month, and
>>>only
>>>when he knows we have nothing to do for three or four days, again thanks,
>>>Lee

>> Wow, bad luck! Is it the parmesan that sets you off, or something
>> else?

> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family of
> plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to avoid
> them
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> that is me, i can eat everything in moderation except the egg plants, the
> greenery from all of them make me itch and tomato greenery literally makes
> blisters errupt everywhere i touch it, and when you type and read braille
> it sucks to have your fingers blistered... i love everything in the
> nightshade family but do watch it very close because if i overdo it is so
> much a pita... the episode where i didn't make it to hurl was a week where
> i had made egg plant with tomatoes and summer squash in a cassarole, then
> we went to the hated casino and ate ty food... one of the few good things
> about this casino... it was sauteed egg plant in garlic sauce with some
> spice i don't know the name of... excellent dish made with little bitty
> egg plants, man was it ever good, and man did i pay... dh says not only
> does he not want me to suffer like that again... i couldnt move to clean
> up or do cat boxes either.
>
> Lee

Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender and
delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

they sure did taste good. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> that is me, i can eat everything in moderation except the egg plants, the
>> greenery from all of them make me itch and tomato greenery literally
>> makes blisters errupt everywhere i touch it, and when you type and read
>> braille it sucks to have your fingers blistered... i love everything in
>> the nightshade family but do watch it very close because if i overdo it
>> is so much a pita... the episode where i didn't make it to hurl was a
>> week where i had made egg plant with tomatoes and summer squash in a
>> cassarole, then we went to the hated casino and ate ty food... one of the
>> few good things about this casino... it was sauteed egg plant in garlic
>> sauce with some spice i don't know the name of... excellent dish made
>> with little bitty egg plants, man was it ever good, and man did i pay...
>> dh says not only does he not want me to suffer like that again... i
>> couldnt move to clean up or do cat boxes either.
>>
>> Lee

> Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender and
> delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

how much bigger do you make the bag than you need or do you make it to fit
then check old bags before resealing it over something new? Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"~Karen~" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> we now have the fs not sure if i posted about it here or not, i just
>> bought a fsv2420 with manual, dvd and 2 canisters for $50.00 from the
>> lady who lives behind us, she is the sample lady and they told her to
>> keep the machine when she finished the assignment. we haven't used it yet
>> are too busy but am gathering bags and other stuff so the next time we
>> get that great meat bargian it will be ready to go, bulk cooking is the
>> only way to go in my opinion, if you have the space.
>>
>> Lee
>>

> Lee - You can wash and reuse the bags too. When you vac/seal there is a
> space on that end that will be cut off later to open the bag. I write the
> date and contents with a laundry marker on that part. When I reuse the
> bag there is a new area to mark content info on. Waste is reduced to just
> a couple of inches per bag that way.
> Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:41:14 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> wrote:

>no its actually the egg plant, its a nightshade plant, and most of them
>bother my joints, tomatoes are ok if i don't touch the greenery, which
>breaks me out in blisters everywhere i touch it, egg plant makes my joints
>stiff like i have run a thousand miles, and in over abundance it gives me a
>migraine. cheese does affect me but i have learned my limits so am able to
>enjoy good cheese occasionally, Lee

Wow that sounds rough. Especially if you like it... when the kids
were little, my youngest and my nephew both had to steer clear of
tomatoes, they both blistered from them - and the number of times the
little devils raided the fridge for them! Forbidden fruit, I guess...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i love almost everything i am allergic to, but it has taught me prudence...
i stopped eatin cheese for two years, then slowly introduced different
kinds/amounts so i know what i can have... not near what i want but its
something, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:41:14 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>no its actually the egg plant, its a nightshade plant, and most of them
>>bother my joints, tomatoes are ok if i don't touch the greenery, which
>>breaks me out in blisters everywhere i touch it, egg plant makes my joints
>>stiff like i have run a thousand miles, and in over abundance it gives me
>>migraine. cheese does affect me but i have learned my limits so am able
>>enjoy good cheese occasionally, Lee

> Wow that sounds rough. Especially if you like it... when the kids
> were little, my youngest and my nephew both had to steer clear of
> tomatoes, they both blistered from them - and the number of times the
> little devils raided the fridge for them! Forbidden fruit, I guess...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family of
> plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to avoid
> them

Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant women
with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been pregnant long
enough!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats a fact i didn't know. never had kids so it never came up... thanks,
Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family of
>> plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
>> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to avoid
>> them

> Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant women
> with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been pregnant long
> enough!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> > that is me, i can eat everything in moderation except the egg plants,
> > the greenery from all of them make me itch and tomato greenery
> > literally makes blisters errupt everywhere i touch it, and when you
> > type and read braille it sucks to have your fingers blistered... i love
> > everything in the nightshade family but do watch it very close because
> > if i overdo it is so much a pita... the episode where i didn't make it
> > to hurl was a week where i had made egg plant with tomatoes and summer
> > squash in a cassarole, then we went to the hated casino and ate ty
> > food... one of the few good things about this casino... it was sauteed
> > egg plant in garlic sauce with some spice i don't know the name of...
> > excellent dish made with little bitty egg plants, man was it ever good,
> > and man did i pay... dh says not only does he not want me to suffer
> > like that again... i couldnt move to clean up or do cat boxes either.

> Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender
> and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

Thai, too, Evelyn. A little bigger than a blueberry. There's another Thai
one about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Both green and white and, as you said,
tender and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
> > Evelyn wrote:
> >
> >> Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender
> >> and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

> > They're always labeled Japanese in my stores, if you mean the really
> > baby ones?
> >
> > Go figure.
> >
> > Still nightshade plants, though.

> I eat them anyway. Life would be rather dreary without them! Potatoes,
> tomatoes, eggplants, peppers..... yummy stuff.

The ones labeler Japanese in our Asian markets are purple, up to 9 inches
long and maybe 2 inches in diameter. Taste very much like 'regular' ones.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> thats a fact i didn't know. never had kids so it never came up...
> thanks, Lee

> Have a great day
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family of
> >> plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
> >> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to
> >> avoid them

> > Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant women
> > with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been pregnant
> > long enough!

Folk knowledge. Couldn't find a medical citation.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> how much bigger do you make the bag than you need or do you make it to
> fit then check old bags before resealing it over something new? Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day
>
> "~Karen~" > wrote in message
> > Stormmee wrote:
> >> we now have the fs not sure if i posted about it here or not, i just
> >> bought a fsv2420 with manual, dvd and 2 canisters for $50.00 from the
> >> lady who lives behind us, she is the sample lady and they told her to
> >> keep the machine when she finished the assignment. we haven't used it
> >> yet are too busy but am gathering bags and other stuff so the next
> >> time we get that great meat bargian it will be ready to go, bulk
> >> cooking is the only way to go in my opinion, if you have the space.
> >>
> >> Lee
> >>

> > Lee - You can wash and reuse the bags too. When you vac/seal there is
> > a space on that end that will be cut off later to open the bag. I
> > write the date and contents with a laundry marker on that part. When I
> > reuse the bag there is a new area to mark content info on. Waste is
> > reduced to just a couple of inches per bag that way.
> > Karen

Lee, We have the Solent Systems VS-280 “Snorkel Vak”. Pretty much the same.
The size of the bag, relative to the contents, depends on how many times
you're going to reuse it. For meat, I use one just big enough to seal. For
cheese, I use a bigger bag, as I keep saving a smaller piece each time I
use it. Haven't tried washing them. Thanks for the idea, Karen.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family
>> of plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
>> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to
>> avoid them

> Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant
> women with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been
> pregnant long enough!

I had 7 kids so 7 times 9 is 63 months. Is that long enough?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family
> >> of plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
> >> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to
> >> avoid them

> > Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant
> > women with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been
> > pregnant long enough!

> I had 7 kids so 7 times 9 is 63 months. Is that long enough?

Heh heh! And each time it was more than long enough, eh? LOL

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

hat second i think is what was in this, sliced very thin, and very very
yummy, i asked what the spice was and the guy tried to tell me but between
his englis and my understanding i never got it, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> > that is me, i can eat everything in moderation except the egg plants,
>> > the greenery from all of them make me itch and tomato greenery
>> > literally makes blisters errupt everywhere i touch it, and when you
>> > type and read braille it sucks to have your fingers blistered... i love
>> > everything in the nightshade family but do watch it very close because
>> > if i overdo it is so much a pita... the episode where i didn't make it
>> > to hurl was a week where i had made egg plant with tomatoes and summer
>> > squash in a cassarole, then we went to the hated casino and ate ty
>> > food... one of the few good things about this casino... it was sauteed
>> > egg plant in garlic sauce with some spice i don't know the name of...
>> > excellent dish made with little bitty egg plants, man was it ever good,
>> > and man did i pay... dh says not only does he not want me to suffer
>> > like that again... i couldnt move to clean up or do cat boxes either.

>> Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender
>> and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

> Thai, too, Evelyn. A little bigger than a blueberry. There's another Thai
> one about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Both green and white and, as you said,
> tender and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple
> ones.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can't even imagine that, lee the wuss

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> Nicky there are certain people for whom the whole nightshade family
>>> of plants; tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, and peppers..... all are
>>> irritating to arthritis. If it is noticeable, then it is wise to
>>> avoid them

>> Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant
>> women with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been
>> pregnant long enough!

> I had 7 kids so 7 times 9 is 63 months. Is that long enough?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am collecting info on this thing as it will soon be meat shopping time, we
just about have the freezer empty, then we will defrost and refill, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> how much bigger do you make the bag than you need or do you make it to
>> fit then check old bags before resealing it over something new? Lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a wonderful day

>> > Lee - You can wash and reuse the bags too. When you vac/seal there is
>> > a space on that end that will be cut off later to open the bag. I
>> > write the date and contents with a laundry marker on that part. When I
>> > reuse the bag there is a new area to mark content info on. Waste is
>> > reduced to just a couple of inches per bag that way.
>> > Karen

> Lee, We have the Solent Systems VS-280 "Snorkel Vak". Pretty much the
> same.
> The size of the bag, relative to the contents, depends on how many times
> you're going to reuse it. For meat, I use one just big enough to seal. For
> cheese, I use a bigger bag, as I keep saving a smaller piece each time I
> use it. Haven't tried washing them. Thanks for the idea, Karen.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>>
>>> Eggplant (especially the skin) is a known abortifacient. Pregnant
>>> women with a known sensitivity should avoid it, 'til they've been
>>> pregnant long enough!

>> I had 7 kids so 7 times 9 is 63 months. Is that long enough?

> Heh heh! And each time it was more than long enough, eh? LOL

Tell me about, imagine 6 months on your back knowing that every time you
moved your head you were going to throw up? But I kept coming back for more.
Kids are the most wonderful things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

glad there people like you in the world, Lee really a wuss

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> I had 7 kids so 7 times 9 is 63 months. Is that long enough?

>> Heh heh! And each time it was more than long enough, eh? LOL

> Tell me about, imagine 6 months on your back knowing that every time you
> moved your head you were going to throw up? But I kept coming back for
> more. Kids are the most wonderful things.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> hat second i think is what was in this, sliced very thin, and very very
> yummy, i asked what the spice was and the guy tried to tell me but
> between his englis and my understanding i never got it, Lee
>
> --
> Have a great day
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Lee the little bitty eggplants are the chinese ones. They are tender
> >> and delicious, and somewhat different than our big deep purple ones.

> > Thai, too, Evelyn. A little bigger than a blueberry. There's another
> > Thai one about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Both green and white and, as
> > you said, tender and delicious, and somewhat different than our big
> > deep purple ones.

Lee, From your description, I don't recognize the dish or the garlic curry
sauce. Does DH remember what it was called or its contents, from the menu?

With you vision being impaired, I thought your hearing became more
acute? It doesn't matter what he said, just what it sounded like. Thais
speak ingrik. I call it Tinglish. I know. I'm bad. ;-/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the hearing doesn't get more acute, but we generally pay more attention...
sort of a survival thing...

all i can tell you is that it was 3 syllables... and it might not have been
authentic ty they just called it that, but i am pretty sure this guy was ty.

the slices of egg plant were thin about double the thickness of what you
would think is standard for a cucmber slice, it was small in diameter a bit
smaller than a quarter.
the sauce was almost slimey but just short of slimey, and more than a
coating but the slices weren't floating. i thought at first it must have
okra in it from the texture, but dh said no just the garlic and egg plant,
and he said the sauce was too cloudy to be okra. it was very garlicy and
moderately spicey but not hot at all, it struck me odd at the time since i
am used to most of the ty food i eat to be both spicey and have plentiful
heat, Lee--
Have a great day
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote:
>> hat second i think is what was in this, sliced very thin, and very very
>> yummy, i asked what the spice was and the guy tried to tell me but
>> between his englis and my understanding i never got it, Lee
>>
>> --
>> Have a great day
>> >
>> > Thai, too, Evelyn. A little bigger than a blueberry. There's another
>> > Thai one about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Both green and white and, as
>> > you said, tender and delicious, and somewhat different than our big
>> > deep purple ones.

> Lee, From your description, I don't recognize the dish or the garlic curry
> sauce. Does DH remember what it was called or its contents, from the menu?
>
> With you vision being impaired, I thought your hearing became more
> acute? It doesn't matter what he said, just what it sounded like. Thais
> speak ingrik. I call it Tinglish. I know. I'm bad. ;-/
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote:
> glad there people like you in the world, Lee really a wuss

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer wrote:
> >>
> >> Heh heh! And each time it was more than long enough, eh? LOL

> > Tell me about, imagine 6 months on your back knowing that every time
> > you moved your head you were going to throw up? But I kept coming back
> > for more. Kids are the most wonderful things.

Practice, Lee! Practice!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

quick/dirty beef stew notbob General Cooking 0 18-01-2013 04:12 AM
New Quick and Dirty Dish W. Baker Diabetic 6 12-01-2013 07:19 PM
Quick and dirty lunch Ozgirl Diabetic 0 11-05-2010 03:46 AM
Quick and dirty fish recipe. W. Baker Diabetic 13 04-03-2008 01:50 AM
Quick & Dirty Wild Rice Soup jmcquown General Cooking 1 11-10-2007 06:01 PM