Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Super Bowl Menus?

I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad yesterday.
Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of peanuts in the
shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato beers...damnit. :-) What is
everybody else having, are you having big parties, or just two, like us?

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Am also taking the Steelers over the Cards 17 to 10. I have those numbers on
a board. LOL

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?
>

> --
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?

i'll be right over with the tomato beer.......... can you drink the
'hard stuff' from Canada?

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?
>

> --
> Cheri

I am going to a party where the hostess has determined the menu, which will
include SOME items I can have and some I really shouldn't. For instance,
she is making homemade pizza for an appetizer. :-(

I offered to bring jumbo shrimp cocktail for everyone, which I can eat just
fine. She DECLINED the offer and told me not to do it.

So I am not going to be able to eat a lot of the food she will be serving I
am sure, but I can probably pick at this and that. This lady is a
fantastic unbelievable cook, who owned her own restaurant for years. She
loves to cook and honestly doesn't like it when people bring stuff. Most
of the time I can find plenty to eat at her house since she always serves a
great variety of foods, but the temptations are also very ...... well......
tempting.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
>> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
>> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
>> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
>> parties, or just two, like us?
>>

> i'll be right over with the tomato beer.......... can you drink the 'hard
> stuff' from Canada?
>
> kate

Oh Hell yes! I won't, but I sure could...and enjoy every bit of it I might
add. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>
>> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
>> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
>> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
>> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
>> parties, or just two, like us?
>>

>> --
>> Cheri

> I am going to a party where the hostess has determined the menu, which
> will include SOME items I can have and some I really shouldn't. For
> instance, she is making homemade pizza for an appetizer. :-(
>
> I offered to bring jumbo shrimp cocktail for everyone, which I can eat
> just fine. She DECLINED the offer and told me not to do it.
>
> So I am not going to be able to eat a lot of the food she will be serving
> I am sure, but I can probably pick at this and that. This lady is a
> fantastic unbelievable cook, who owned her own restaurant for years. She
> loves to cook and honestly doesn't like it when people bring stuff. Most
> of the time I can find plenty to eat at her house since she always serves
> a great variety of foods, but the temptations are also very ......
> well...... tempting.

Good luck to you Evelyn, yes...I know what you mean about temptations.
Fortunately, with just the two of us, he'll be home at half time, I don't
really have to have any temptations, but you know...sometimes, I won't even
be thinking about some things, and then see them all laid out beautifully,
and it is hard to leave them alone.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?

I'm not watching it. I made roast beef, potatoes and carrots in the crock
pot. We don't do dessert.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?

We two just finished watching the game. The last few minutes were very
exciting.

We had jicama and raw turnip sticks with home made blue cheese dip to
snack on. Then we had baked chicken wings with just a little bit of
low-carb barbecue sauce and beanless chili which simmered in the crock
pot all day.

DH, the Diabetic in the house, had a hot dog without a bun and a bowl of
the chili. I had two hot dogs, with hollowed-out whole wheat buns topped
with mustard, chili and raw onion.

No dessert.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
>> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
>> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
>> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
>> parties, or just two, like us?
>>

> We two just finished watching the game. The last few minutes were very
> exciting.
>
> We had jicama and raw turnip sticks with home made blue cheese dip to
> snack on. Then we had baked chicken wings with just a little bit of
> low-carb barbecue sauce and beanless chili which simmered in the crock pot
> all day.
>
> DH, the Diabetic in the house, had a hot dog without a bun and a bowl of
> the chili. I had two hot dogs, with hollowed-out whole wheat buns topped
> with mustard, chili and raw onion.
>
> No dessert.

Sounds good. Yes, it was a good game. The only disappointment for me was the
first touchdown by the Steelers ruled a non touchdown, which meant that the
quarter ended 3-0 instead of 7-0 which meant I would have won the quarter on
the board, but oh well. :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I bought the thickest bacon i could find and enjoyed blt wraps..had two..was
soooo good!
As a treat i ate half a ounce of cheddar and sour cream ruffles...bg was
never raised all day.

KROM

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
> parties, or just two, like us?
>

> --
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I'm making ribs, oven baked green beans, and made fauxtato salad
>>> yesterday. Myra's cheesecake for dessert, and I bought a small bag of
>>> peanuts in the shell for both of us, and that's it. No tomato
>>> beers...damnit. :-) What is everybody else having, are you having big
>>> parties, or just two, like us?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Cheri

>> I am going to a party where the hostess has determined the menu, which
>> will include SOME items I can have and some I really shouldn't. For
>> instance, she is making homemade pizza for an appetizer. :-(
>>
>> I offered to bring jumbo shrimp cocktail for everyone, which I can eat
>> just fine. She DECLINED the offer and told me not to do it.
>>
>> So I am not going to be able to eat a lot of the food she will be serving
>> I am sure, but I can probably pick at this and that. This lady is a
>> fantastic unbelievable cook, who owned her own restaurant for years.
>> She loves to cook and honestly doesn't like it when people bring stuff.
>> Most of the time I can find plenty to eat at her house since she always
>> serves a great variety of foods, but the temptations are also very ......
>> well...... tempting.

> Good luck to you Evelyn, yes...I know what you mean about temptations.
> Fortunately, with just the two of us, he'll be home at half time, I don't
> really have to have any temptations, but you know...sometimes, I won't
> even be thinking about some things, and then see them all laid out
> beautifully, and it is hard to leave them alone.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Well I am somewhat proud of myself. I did good.... almost. She had
cheese, crackers, salami, potato chips, cheese doodles and home-made pizza
as snacks in the beginning, and I ate almost none. I did take a tiny piece
of pizza and managed to ditch some of it when no one was looking. So I was
polite, but not to my detriment.

Then she had a nice tossed salad, a spiral ham with pineapple sauce,
applesauce, coleslaw, potato salad, and baked macaroni and cheese. I
managed to eat lots of salad, a bit of coleslaw (it wasn't sweetened) and
several slices of ham minus the sauce. I took about a small tablespoon of
potato salad and didn't eat it. Ditto on the mac and cheese. I was
determined to be good, because I have eaten there before, and wasn't so
good.

OK, then came dessert and it was the killer. Home made rice pudding, which
was the absolute best I have ever tasted in my entire life, and a home made
pound cake. Whipped cream topping for the pudding. I had a very small
piece of the cake and a small serving of the pudding with whipped cream on
it. I knew it was naughty, but it could have been a lot worse.

Avoiding that home made pizza early on, was my saving. In the past I have
gone to this woman's house and felt quite sick later, because she is such a
fantastic cook and makes so many dishes that even with a tiny morsel of this
and that, you can easily over eat. What is more it is always carby stuff.

Next time she will come to my place and I will make the meal and it will be
a lot more diabetes-friendly food. The lady in question has a sister who
has diabetes and she herself has a weight problem (is it any wonder since
she cooks like that?) In the past we have had discussions about weight
loss, and I really think if she would only just consider low carbing she
would do better. Considering that diabetes is in her family, it might end
up being in her future too. I may loan her my Atkins book and hope she
takes the cue. She says she is going to join weight watchers, and I know
they now have a low carb option plan. This is a lady who really needs to
consider it.

But as for me, although I didn't test afterwards, I know that even though I
ate only very small servings of most of what she served, and it couldn't
have been good, but it could have been a lot worse. I was determined not
to lose my resolve. I even ate a low carb snack before I left the house to
go there to insure that hunger wouldn't drive me to eat more than I should
of the wrong foods.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:18:29 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Next time she will come to my place and I will make the meal and it will be
>a lot more diabetes-friendly food.

I find there's nothing like seizing the moment when they've just
complimented you on your food to point out the virtues of a low carb
WOL :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> But as for me, although I didn't test afterwards, I know that even though
> I ate only very small servings of most of what she served, and it couldn't
> have been good, but it could have been a lot worse. I was determined not
> to lose my resolve. I even ate a low carb snack before I left the house
> to go there to insure that hunger wouldn't drive me to eat more than I
> should of the wrong foods.

Sounds like great food, and sounds like you did really well too. Good for
you. :-)

Cheri

Super Bowl Menus? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 29 01-02-2014 06:11 AM
Super Bowl Menus? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 4 01-02-2012 12:53 AM
TN: older Super Tuscan for the Super Bowl DaleW Wine 0 08-02-2010 04:13 PM
For People that Watch, Menus for Super Bowl? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 30 07-02-2010 01:22 PM