Old 28-01-2014, 02:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Super Bowl Menus?

Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
a bit different to add.

Cheri

Old 28-01-2014, 03:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

: Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
: snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
: a bit different to add.

: Cheri

I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily a
super bowl) and just dipped out of it.

Wendy
Old 28-01-2014, 04:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Cheri wrote:

: Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal,
just
: snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
something
: a bit different to add.

: Cheri

I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily
super bowl) and just dipped out of it.

Wendy

------------------
All weekend I have been eating celery sticks, lol. Dipped into dips,
filled with peanut butter, crab meat or cottage cheese.

Old 28-01-2014, 04:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:07:34 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
a bit different to add.

Cheri

Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
hummus.
Old 28-01-2014, 04:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

: Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal,
just
: snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
something
: a bit different to add.

: Cheri

I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily a
super bowl) and just dipped out of it.

Wendy

That sounds good. I haven't had stuffed celery for awhile. Thanks.

Cheri

Old 28-01-2014, 05:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
something
a bit different to add.

Cheri

Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
hummus.

Thanks for the suggestion. It made me look for a lower carb hummus and I
found this which I think I will try.

4 cups peeled & chopped raw zucchini

3/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

4 cloves of garlic, peeled

2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)

1 TBS ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until thick and smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Pour into a shallow bowl
and garnish with parsley, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Enjoy! Approximately 2.5 g net carbs per 2 Tablespoon serving

Old 28-01-2014, 02:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:18:53 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
Karen
Old 28-01-2014, 04:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:18:53 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did find
that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like apples
than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
hummus without your suggestion though. :-)

Cheri

Old 28-01-2014, 06:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like pork skins with a variety of dips instead of chips.

I also tolerate popcorn very well

so those are my two go to game snacks for a crowd

KROM

Old 28-01-2014, 11:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
Karen

Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did find
that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like apples
than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
hummus without your suggestion though. :-)

Cheri

`
I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
Karen

Old 29-01-2014, 12:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be used
in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can do
with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
though. ;-)

Cheri

Old 29-01-2014, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I like pork skins with a variety of dips instead of chips.

I also tolerate popcorn very well

so those are my two go to game snacks for a crowd

I don't really tolerate popcorn well anymore. I usually have pork rinds
around, but am a bit tired of them.

Cheri

Old 29-01-2014, 12:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I used Ozgirl's method so it was like apple pie filling. Only ever made it
twice. Although we did like it, I'm not a dessert person at all.

Old 29-01-2014, 02:54 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

-----------------

Apple Crumble Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

Old 29-01-2014, 04:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:15:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I went over the wikipedia and looked it up. I guess I
have seen these at the local Raley's and Save Mart stores. I just
never knew what to do with it. I like to try new veggies so this
will be on the grocery list this week. Thank you.
Karen

Super Bowl Menus? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 4 31-01-2012 11:53 PM
TN: older Super Tuscan for the Super Bowl DaleW Wine 0 08-02-2010 03:13 PM
For People that Watch, Menus for Super Bowl? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 30 07-02-2010 12:22 PM
Super Bowl Menus? Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 12 02-02-2009 06:24 PM