Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I spent the entire morning processing stuff.

Busy work with food all morning!

I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as chicken
cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the back, neck
and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.

Cooked up several pounds of ground turkey meat for my dogs. I started
feeding them meat meant for humans when the Chinese dog food adulteration
scandal came up. It actually ends up being cheaper than cans per serving,
and they end up getting more real meat than what comes in the can. We mix
it with their kibble every day. They are nice and healthy since we do
this. Shiny fur and bright eyes. Better than canned for sure!

Froze up a few plastic bags of ground turkey for us to use. Couple of
meals there for the future too.

When I shopped at Sam's club yesterday morning, I found a marked down
package of stew beef that was a deal too good to pass by. This morning I
browned the whole bunch in a bit of olive oil, then put it in a pot to
simmer with wine, tomatoes, onion and green pepper, bay leaf, salt and
pepper, (both black and red). When it is cooked nice and tender I will put
it away in the freezer, in its nice broth.

I then will have the choice of using it as goulash, or add vegetables to it
and make it stew. I think I will get about two good sized containers of
cooked beef, ready to eat when we are ready for it.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:21:00 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>I then will have the choice of using it as goulash, or add vegetables to it
>and make it stew.

Huh! That's a good idea. Must do that next time!

Your dogfood story reminds me of the time the minister came to call,
when my Mum was cooking the dog food up. He sniffed, and followed the
smell right in to the kitchen, where he grabbed a spoon and tasted a
bit... we never admitted that a) it was dog food and b) it was road
kill :P

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:21:00 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>I then will have the choice of using it as goulash, or add vegetables to
>>it
>>and make it stew.

> Huh! That's a good idea. Must do that next time!
>
> Your dogfood story reminds me of the time the minister came to call,
> when my Mum was cooking the dog food up. He sniffed, and followed the
> smell right in to the kitchen, where he grabbed a spoon and tasted a
> bit... we never admitted that a) it was dog food and b) it was road
> kill :P
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

That's funny!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:21:00 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>Busy work with food all morning!
>
>I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as chicken
>cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the back, neck
>and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.

<snip lots of work>

Tomorrow for me. Just bought huge bags of chicken wings,
chicken thighs, lamb chops, steak, pork chops etc.
Freezer-filling time tomorrow with the big stock pot
bubbling on the stove with chopped off wing tips and thigh
carcasses in it.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:54:40 +0000, Nicky
> wrote:

>Your dogfood story reminds me of the time the minister came to call,
>when my Mum was cooking the dog food up. He sniffed, and followed the
>smell right in to the kitchen, where he grabbed a spoon and tasted a
>bit... we never admitted that a) it was dog food and b) it was road
>kill :P

Ta. Needed that:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:21:00 -0500, "Evelyn"
> > wrote:
>
>>Busy work with food all morning!
>>
>>I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as chicken
>>cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the back, neck
>>and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.

> <snip lots of work>
>
> Tomorrow for me. Just bought huge bags of chicken wings,
> chicken thighs, lamb chops, steak, pork chops etc.
> Freezer-filling time tomorrow with the big stock pot
> bubbling on the stove with chopped off wing tips and thigh
> carcasses in it.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

It's a very satisfying thing to do. Buying whole chickens, or leg and
thighs, and cutting them up yourself, making your own broth, etc. is hard
work, but it does save a bit on the grocery bill, and the good part is that
you know exactly what is in it! I ended up with only a quart of really
rich broth out of the neck and back and other scrap parts etc. but it is
perfect for a lunch for hubby and I with some sort of additions to it. (I
would like to do matzo balls).

I froze two containers of cooked beef in a very flavorful gravy. I will
make one into goulash by just heating it up and thickening the gravy, and
the other one will be used in a pot of beef stew. I will cook up the
vegetables separately with the juice/gravy, and add the beef near the end,
because the beef is already cooked to perfect tenderness. Any more would
make it fall apart.

Tonight will be leftover night. I have a bunch of nice leftovers to get
rid of from the last few days. Add a fresh salad and it will seem like it
is new.

Last night we had plain fresh steamed green beans with dinner, and there are
some leftover. I will sautee an onion in some butter, add the rest of the
beans tonight, and season them a little heavily, and bingo the beans are new
again too.

I also wanted to mention that I am ONLY buying the natural chickens these
days. What an incredible difference they make. I had been buying purdue
brand chickens in Sam's club (warehouse store) for a long time, thinking
they were decent, but they absolutely are not. The all natural chicken is
so much more juicy, and the meat tastes better longer. The purdue chicken
tasted OK when first cooked, but if you don't use it all that first day, the
meat doesn't taste as good the next day. So I am paying a lot more for
chicken, but we get more out of it. Even the soup tastes better when made
with the natural chicken.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:

: "Alan S" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:21:00 -0500, "Evelyn"
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>Busy work with food all morning!
: >>
: >>I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as chicken
: >>cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the back, neck
: >>and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.
: > <snip lots of work>
: >
[...]

: --
: --
: Best Regards,
: Evelyn

When my kids were all home I used to buy a case of chicken leg
quarters(they were cheap), which weighed aboaut 40 lbs(the case, not the
legss). I would cut off the back and freeze them separately to make soup
later.

n those days, iif I bought whole chicken(which I also did) three
would feed us for two days. Since he chicken was fairly cheap, I would
let the kids have as much as hey wanted. with beef, I would kind of limit
it. They always compained that I didn't have enough meat in the beef
stew:-) I would put beans in as well as potatoes, carrots, etc as a
nutritional boost and they tasted good. Very different now, with just the
two of us and me with diabetes:-( I still get "family"packs of stuff adn
freeze in 2 person quantities.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : --
> : Best Regards,
> : Evelyn
>
> When my kids were all home I used to buy a case of chicken leg
> quarters(they were cheap), which weighed aboaut 40 lbs(the case, not the
> legss). I would cut off the back and freeze them separately to make soup
> later.
>
> n those days, iif I bought whole chicken(which I also did) three
> would feed us for two days. Since he chicken was fairly cheap, I would
> let the kids have as much as hey wanted. with beef, I would kind of limit
> it. They always compained that I didn't have enough meat in the beef
> stew:-) I would put beans in as well as potatoes, carrots, etc as a
> nutritional boost and they tasted good. Very different now, with just the
> two of us and me with diabetes:-( I still get "family"packs of stuff adn

Very smart. I do that too when it is something that lends itself. For
example chicken breasts.....I buy a large package and put two by two in
ziploc bags. When hubby is in the mood for chicken breasts he just brings
up a small bag from the freezer for me. If more people are expected I will
take out two bags!
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:45:13 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>I also wanted to mention that I am ONLY buying the natural chickens these
>days.

Does natural mean free range? - if so, I definitely agree with you. We
have free range, barn raised, and battery hen designations. I
occasionally eat barn raised, but I don't buy battery hen stuff at
all, the poor beasts. I'm thankful I can afford to make those choices
though!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:45:13 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>I also wanted to mention that I am ONLY buying the natural chickens these
>>days.

> Does natural mean free range? - if so, I definitely agree with you. We
> have free range, barn raised, and battery hen designations. I
> occasionally eat barn raised, but I don't buy battery hen stuff at
> all, the poor beasts. I'm thankful I can afford to make those choices
> though!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Hi Nicky,

These are free range, all natural chickens, raised without antibiotics and
hormones and all the usual nasties they put in commercial factory farms.
Those poor critters have a lousy life and they taste lousy too. The brand
I am buying is called Bell and Evans and they sell them at a place Wendy
knows about.... Adams market. It is my local area's answer to whole foods
and trader joes. Not nearly as big or famous, but all top quality decent
food.

My husband has a theory. He says if you go into a restaurant and see lots
of old people eating there, usually it has good food and good value, because
the old folks are smart. Well now that WE are "old folks" ourselves, I can
tell you that Adams market has lots of old folks shopping there.

I also get grass fed, locally raised beef and other meats there, also the
absolute best produce and biggest selection anywhere in the area. But it
is more money for everything you buy there.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

x-no-archive; yes

Evelyn wrote:

> Susan... a suggestion, you might want to consider getting the upright
> version instead. Everyone I know who owns a chest freezer ends up with
> unknown stuff buried in the bottom for years on end. When it is
> upright there are shelves and it is easier to find stuff.

I know, I used to have an upright in my garage and it was so easy to
eyeball everything compared to a chest. But I've really done my
research on this, and in terms of energy consumption, the chest seems to
come out ahead. I think the key will be to keep my invoices on the
freezer and X off what's been used as I go. I'll need some sort of
system for recording what's in there, definitely.

> You read my posts, and you know we use our freezer a lot. I don't know
> what I'd do without it. I got mine at Sears. It is frost free and
> works great.

I plan to buy frost free, though it consumes about 40% more energy.
Defrosting is a drag, even with a drain in my basement floor.

I used to overuse the freezer and ended up with too much stuff. Now I
do periodic "we don't buy til we eat our way through what we have"
binges. But I really need an auxilliary freezer for meat purchases now,
to lower my overall cost per lb. For the first time in years, I'm
actually making food choices based upon price. I miss regularly eating
grassfed ribeyes!

Susan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> Busy work with food all morning!
>
> I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as
> chicken cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the
> back, neck and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.
>
> Cooked up several pounds of ground turkey meat for my dogs. I started
> feeding them meat meant for humans when the Chinese dog food
> adulteration scandal came up. It actually ends up being cheaper than
> cans per serving, and they end up getting more real meat than what comes
> in the can. We mix it with their kibble every day. They are nice and
> healthy since we do this. Shiny fur and bright eyes. Better than
> canned for sure!
>
> Froze up a few plastic bags of ground turkey for us to use. Couple of
> meals there for the future too.
>
> When I shopped at Sam's club yesterday morning, I found a marked down
> package of stew beef that was a deal too good to pass by. This
> morning I browned the whole bunch in a bit of olive oil, then put it in
> a pot to simmer with wine, tomatoes, onion and green pepper, bay leaf,
> salt and pepper, (both black and red). When it is cooked nice and
> tender I will put it away in the freezer, in its nice broth.
>
> I then will have the choice of using it as goulash, or add vegetables to
> it and make it stew. I think I will get about two good sized
> containers of cooked beef, ready to eat when we are ready for it.

Evelyn, was it 2 years ago? or a bit longer? that the melamine in
dog/cat food became a problem

i wrote to the manufacturers of a number of dog foods (kibble) and
Pedigree was the only manufacturer who catagorically stated they buy ALL
components of their kibble from North American (Canada and USA) sources

Pedigree didn't make any of the recall lists, consistent with their
claim(s).

just fyi

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> Busy work with food all morning!
>>
>> I cut a natural chicken up into pieces to freeze for later use as chicken
>> cacciatore for one day next week. Made soup or broth from the back,
>> neck and scraps. Kitties got the liver, which they love.
>>
>> Cooked up several pounds of ground turkey meat for my dogs. I started
>> feeding them meat meant for humans when the Chinese dog food adulteration
>> scandal came up. It actually ends up being cheaper than cans per
>> serving, and they end up getting more real meat than what comes in the
>> can. We mix it with their kibble every day. They are nice and healthy
>> since we do this. Shiny fur and bright eyes. Better than canned for
>> sure!
>>
>> Froze up a few plastic bags of ground turkey for us to use. Couple of
>> meals there for the future too.
>>
>> When I shopped at Sam's club yesterday morning, I found a marked down
>> package of stew beef that was a deal too good to pass by. This morning
>> I browned the whole bunch in a bit of olive oil, then put it in a pot to
>> simmer with wine, tomatoes, onion and green pepper, bay leaf, salt and
>> pepper, (both black and red). When it is cooked nice and tender I will
>> put it away in the freezer, in its nice broth.
>>
>> I then will have the choice of using it as goulash, or add vegetables to
>> it and make it stew. I think I will get about two good sized
>> containers of cooked beef, ready to eat when we are ready for it.

> Evelyn, was it 2 years ago? or a bit longer? that the melamine in dog/cat
> food became a problem
>
> i wrote to the manufacturers of a number of dog foods (kibble) and
> Pedigree was the only manufacturer who catagorically stated they buy ALL
> components of their kibble from North American (Canada and USA) sources
>
> Pedigree didn't make any of the recall lists, consistent with their
> claim(s).
>
> just fyi
>
> kate

That's good to know, Kate. We feed them a very expensive kind of kibble
put out by a company called solid gold. It is a very high quality food.
My dogs are my babies and they don't get supermarket dog food. I used to
feed them Iams which was excellent, now it is junk. I fed them Science
Diet, which is decent. But the canned meat products are a ripoff. For
what a can costs and how little real meat is in it, I can do better and feed
them more meat for less money.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:35:55 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>Hi Nicky,
>
>These are free range, all natural chickens, raised without antibiotics and
>hormones and all the usual nasties they put in commercial factory farms.

Same here. I buy from a chicken specialist, free range and
antibiotics free.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:32:18 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>Susan... a suggestion, you might want to consider getting the upright
>version instead. Everyone I know who owns a chest freezer ends up with
>unknown stuff buried in the bottom for years on end. When it is upright
>there are shelves and it is easier to find stuff.
>
>You read my posts, and you know we use our freezer a lot. I don't know
>what I'd do without it. I got mine at Sears. It is frost free and works
>great.

I agree. I used to have a chest, there seemed to be things
living at the bottom that rarely saw daylight...

An upright with shelves works brilliantly.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:32:18 -0500, "Evelyn"
> > wrote:
>
>>Susan... a suggestion, you might want to consider getting the upright
>>version instead. Everyone I know who owns a chest freezer ends up with
>>unknown stuff buried in the bottom for years on end. When it is upright
>>there are shelves and it is easier to find stuff.
>>
>>You read my posts, and you know we use our freezer a lot. I don't know
>>what I'd do without it. I got mine at Sears. It is frost free and works
>>great.

> I agree. I used to have a chest, there seemed to be things
> living at the bottom that rarely saw daylight...
>
> An upright with shelves works brilliantly.

Agreed. The chest freezers are really not very pleasant to have to dig
down into also.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>> Evelyn, was it 2 years ago? or a bit longer? that the melamine in dog/cat
>> food became a problem
>>
>> i wrote to the manufacturers of a number of dog foods (kibble) and
>> Pedigree was the only manufacturer who catagorically stated they buy ALL
>> components of their kibble from North American (Canada and USA) sources
>>
>> Pedigree didn't make any of the recall lists, consistent with their
>> claim(s).
>>
>> just fyi
>>
>> kate

> That's good to know, Kate. We feed them a very expensive kind of kibble
> put out by a company called solid gold. It is a very high quality food.
> My dogs are my babies and they don't get supermarket dog food. I used
> to feed them Iams which was excellent, now it is junk. I fed them
> Science Diet, which is decent. But the canned meat products are a
> ripoff. For what a can costs and how little real meat is in it, I can do
> better and feed them more meat for less money.

I've only ever fed my dog... fresh meat, cottage cheese, and veggies.
Nothing I couldn't eat myself, she is 11 and has had very good health,
except now old age is setting in a bit since she's a large dog, and she
hasn't fully recovered from the surgery to remove a cyst on her side. It's
just a personal thing with me, I don't trust dog food of any kind. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:32:18 -0500, "Evelyn"
> > wrote:
>
>> Susan... a suggestion, you might want to consider getting the upright
>> version instead. Everyone I know who owns a chest freezer ends up with
>> unknown stuff buried in the bottom for years on end. When it is upright
>> there are shelves and it is easier to find stuff.
>>
>> You read my posts, and you know we use our freezer a lot. I don't know
>> what I'd do without it. I got mine at Sears. It is frost free and works
>> great.

> I agree. I used to have a chest, there seemed to be things
> living at the bottom that rarely saw daylight...
>
> An upright with shelves works brilliantly.
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)

buy extra baskets, and put all the chicken into one box, beef into
another box, etc

it was a matter of pulling out one of the extra baskets on top of the
freezer, then pulling out a box of 'whatever meat'

worked a treat

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> Evelyn, was it 2 years ago? or a bit longer? that the melamine in
>>> dog/cat food became a problem
>>>
>>> i wrote to the manufacturers of a number of dog foods (kibble) and
>>> Pedigree was the only manufacturer who catagorically stated they buy ALL
>>> components of their kibble from North American (Canada and USA) sources
>>>
>>> Pedigree didn't make any of the recall lists, consistent with their
>>> claim(s).
>>>
>>> just fyi
>>>
>>> kate

>> That's good to know, Kate. We feed them a very expensive kind of kibble
>> put out by a company called solid gold. It is a very high quality food.
>> My dogs are my babies and they don't get supermarket dog food. I used
>> to feed them Iams which was excellent, now it is junk. I fed them
>> Science Diet, which is decent. But the canned meat products are a
>> ripoff. For what a can costs and how little real meat is in it, I can
>> do better and feed them more meat for less money.

> I've only ever fed my dog... fresh meat, cottage cheese, and veggies.
> Nothing I couldn't eat myself, she is 11 and has had very good health,
> except now old age is setting in a bit since she's a large dog, and she
> hasn't fully recovered from the surgery to remove a cyst on her side. It's
> just a personal thing with me, I don't trust dog food of any kind. :-)
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

My dogs are German Shepherds and I formerly bred, showed and trained them in
years gone by. The current two are just pets. We love them to bits and
they are members of the family.

I believe that a good quality kibble which is made from all natural
ingredients will do fine, but with a lot of supplementation from fresh
foods.

My vet has me feeding my one dog with cooked ground turkey, cooked barley,
seaweed, broccoli, celery, and various other stuff. It is an oriental
"cooling" diet to help her skin problems.

Look into the solid gold pet foods. The way they came into being is
interesting. A woman who was a breeder went to Germany to look at some
animals for possible purchase to import here. She saw what they fed their
dogs and the problems their dogs did NOT suffer from, that our dogs often
did. So she wrote it all down and made this dog food. It is not cheap,
and of course if you supplement it with fresh foods, it is even better.
Here's their website.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

We feed them the one called "wolf king," which lists ingredients that are
all good stuff. I want these dogs to live long and happy lives, though
Shepherds are notoriously not a long lived breed. My female is named Asta,
and she is now just 7 and my young male is named Max and he just turned 3.

Even still I usually need to cook for Asta a lot these days because she is
very allergic and gets skin itchies, hence the "cooling diet" the vet has
her on. I cook up whole bags of barley with seaweed and vegetables for
her, plus her ground turkey meat.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:31:36 -0700, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>it was a matter of pulling out one of the extra baskets on top of the
>freezer, then pulling out a box of 'whatever meat'

Yeah, that's what I do. I have space for 3 large freezer bags at the
bottom of the chest; one is for breads, etc; one for veggies; and the
biggest is for meat. Then I have a separate section down the side
where I keep ice creams and lunchbox items for the kids. Finally,
there's 3 baskets on the top where everything else goes. That's where
I might find a container of "mystery soup"... but at least it's right
at the top, where I see it every time I open the freezer, and maybe
remember what I should have labeled it!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 21:16:15 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>I believe I actually will pay the hanging weight, prior to custom
>processing and packaging. The per lb. price is quite a bit lower for a
>half animal than it is in the stores for what I want to eat.

I do that regularly, for beef and pork. My SIL and I share 1/4 cow, or
1/2 pig. Delicious... MUCH cheaper than buying it in the shops... and
we can specify what cuts we want. I LOVE getting my hands on a whole
piece of belly pork, and roasting it Chinese-style! And I do actually
get the hooves. They make really rich, thick stock...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> We feed them the one called "wolf king," which lists ingredients that are
> all good stuff. I want these dogs to live long and happy lives, though
> Shepherds are notoriously not a long lived breed. My female is named
> Asta, and she is now just 7 and my young male is named Max and he just
> turned 3.

Sounds like a good plan Evelyn. Yes it is amazing how much we come to love
these dogs. I remember when your dog Baron died and how sad it was for you.
I'm not looking forward to the idea with Sophie, but I do think that when
they put her under for the surgery it took a lot out of her, and I'm not
sure she will ever recover fully.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> We feed them the one called "wolf king," which lists ingredients that are
>> all good stuff. I want these dogs to live long and happy lives, though
>> Shepherds are notoriously not a long lived breed. My female is named
>> Asta, and she is now just 7 and my young male is named Max and he just
>> turned 3.

> Sounds like a good plan Evelyn. Yes it is amazing how much we come to love
> these dogs. I remember when your dog Baron died and how sad it was for
> you. I'm not looking forward to the idea with Sophie, but I do think that
> when they put her under for the surgery it took a lot out of her, and I'm
> not sure she will ever recover fully.
>
> Cheri

Baron had a tumor on his tail removed, and he had an awful time recovering
from that. It was only the tip of the iceberg. The bone cancer was
probably already started by then, because it was only a short time later
that he suddenly broke a leg for no apparent reason. When the doc took him
for Xrays they had to knock him out for it. They called me when he was
still under. I had the horrible moment of having to tell him NOT to let
him even wake up. I know how painful a broken bone is, and with no chance
of recovery, and the cancer all through his body, letting him wake up would
have been selfish and unnecessarily cruel. It was so unexpected that
there has never really been a sense of closure, it went the way it went, and
that was it.

Sad thing is that these wonderful animals die long before we do. But it
could be worse..... those who have parrots have a pet whose life span can
be double your own. You need to plan for where they will go and who will
care for them after you are gone!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Sad thing is that these wonderful animals die long before we do. But it
> could be worse..... those who have parrots have a pet whose life span can
> be double your own. You need to plan for where they will go and who will
> care for them after you are gone!

True, a doctor in town has 2 parrots and he has it in his will that his
children have to take them. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:18:10 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Sad thing is that these wonderful animals die long before we do. But it
>could be worse..... those who have parrots have a pet whose life span can
>be double your own. You need to plan for where they will go and who will
>care for them after you are gone!

Yeah. we have a tortoise that I don't even LIKE that we need to plan
for!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:18:10 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Sad thing is that these wonderful animals die long before we do. But it
>>could be worse..... those who have parrots have a pet whose life span can
>>be double your own. You need to plan for where they will go and who will
>>care for them after you are gone!

> Yeah. we have a tortoise that I don't even LIKE that we need to plan
> for!

Is it mean? Or just not a satisfying pet?

The local nature center in my area has a tortoise and they bring it to
events in parks etc. Good publicity.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:21:36 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:18:10 -0500, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sad thing is that these wonderful animals die long before we do. But it
>>>could be worse..... those who have parrots have a pet whose life span can
>>>be double your own. You need to plan for where they will go and who will
>>>care for them after you are gone!

>> Yeah. we have a tortoise that I don't even LIKE that we need to plan
>> for!

>Is it mean? Or just not a satisfying pet?

I'm the only one the damn thing bites! Mind you, I'm the only one
stupid enough to hold things for it to eat... It's at least 35 years
old, and going strong.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:21:36 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Yeah. we have a tortoise that I don't even LIKE that we need to plan
>>> for!

>>Is it mean? Or just not a satisfying pet?

> I'm the only one the damn thing bites! Mind you, I'm the only one
> stupid enough to hold things for it to eat... It's at least 35 years
> old, and going strong.

Nicky they live years and years!
You could have that tortoise forever!
I don't keep biting pets myself.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:21:36 -0500, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:

>>>Is it mean? Or just not a satisfying pet?

>> I'm the only one the damn thing bites! Mind you, I'm the only one
>> stupid enough to hold things for it to eat... It's at least 35 years
>> old, and going strong.

> Nicky they live years and years!
> You could have that tortoise forever!
> I don't keep biting pets myself.

I believe I've heard that they can live to be over a hundred? Is that right?

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> I fed them Science Diet, which is decent. But the canned meat products
> are a ripoff. For what a can costs and how little real meat is in it,
> I can do better and feed them more meat for less money.

We are feeding our little guy Science Diet Puppy formula in the Little
Bites size. He seems to be thriving on it. We are being careful with
treats and making sure they are not high in fat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> Here's a picture of him I took tonight. He has discovered the purpose of
> the refrigerator and wants whatever Daddy is getting. Of course, he
> doesn't get any, but he tries. :-)
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/2czahac.jpg

Very cute dog.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:22:19 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> Nicky they live years and years!
>> You could have that tortoise forever!
>> I don't keep biting pets myself.

>I believe I've heard that they can live to be over a hundred? Is that right?

It's not mine <she said through gritted teeth> - it's hubby's pride
and joy. Personally, I'd be happy to explore turtle soup recipes...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:41:35 +0000, Nicky
> wrote:

>>I believe I've heard that they can live to be over a hundred? Is that right?

>It's not mine <she said through gritted teeth> - it's hubby's pride
>and joy. Personally, I'd be happy to explore turtle soup recipes...

IIRC your off-spring were less than enthusiastic when I
suggested something similar. I got the impression that Alan
soup would have been preferable to them at that instant.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:19:55 -0500, "Evelyn"
> wrote:

>>> I feed my cats Innova EVO; it's starch free, very low carb, high protein.
>>>
>>> Amazing how slim and shiny my cats became within a week or two on that
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> Susan

>> Got a link? Where to find it? Even the best dry food is not good for
>> these cats!

>I found it and bookmarked it. I plan to look into it further.

We seem to have adopted the Burmese from next door. The
owner is only home 7pm-6am; she leaves out food and drink
but puss comes over here for company.

We don't feed her, but I'm pleased to see that our sparrow
population has been steadily decreasing as Coco has got
slightly fatter, sleeker and more muscular:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:

: I doubt that it's possible to get one electrically equally
: efficient as a chest freezer, simply because of the cold air
: you lose each time you open the door. But I only open it
: once or twice a day, if that, at most. Mine is an LG with
: slide out shelves or flaps that retain most of the cold air
: anyway and the ease of finding things means that the door is
: only open for a minimal time.

: I only have a small dedicated upright freezer, but I also
: have a very efficient separate freezer section on my
: upside-down fridge that is almost as big as the upright.

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Sounds like just the fridge for oz:-)

Wendy-upright in NYC

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 02:31:42 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>: I only have a small dedicated upright freezer, but I also
>: have a very efficient separate freezer section on my
>: upside-down fridge that is almost as big as the upright.
>

>: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>
>Sounds like just the fridge for oz:-)
>
>Wendy-upright in NYC

Of course:-)

We call them upside-down because the old, traditional fridge
had a freezer in the top section and the rest of the fridge
was below that.

This one has a totally separate auto-defrost freezer at the
bottom with the fridge section above that. I'm sure you have
similar ones over the

http://www.fisherpaykel.com.sg/admin...sa1jpg3_md.jpg

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:30:09 +1100, Alan S
> wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:41:35 +0000, Nicky
> wrote:
>

>>>I believe I've heard that they can live to be over a hundred? Is that right?

>>It's not mine <she said through gritted teeth> - it's hubby's pride
>>and joy. Personally, I'd be happy to explore turtle soup recipes...

>IIRC your off-spring were less than enthusiastic when I
>suggested something similar. I got the impression that Alan
>soup would have been preferable to them at that instant.

Unfortunately, this is true. However, they're not fighting about who
gets to look after the thing when they leave home... grrr...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 02:31:42 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>

>>: I only have a small dedicated upright freezer, but I also
>>: have a very efficient separate freezer section on my
>>: upside-down fridge that is almost as big as the upright.
>>

>>: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>>
>>Sounds like just the fridge for oz:-)
>>
>>Wendy-upright in NYC

> Of course:-)
>
> We call them upside-down because the old, traditional fridge
> had a freezer in the top section and the rest of the fridge
> was below that.
>
> This one has a totally separate auto-defrost freezer at the
> bottom with the fridge section above that. I'm sure you have
> similar ones over the
>
> http://www.fisherpaykel.com.sg/admin...sa1jpg3_md.jpg
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (ADA Accomplishments in 2008)
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis)

Yes, we have them here too, but my back hurts just LOOKING at it! :-)

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> We call them upside-down because the old, traditional fridge
> had a freezer in the top section and the rest of the fridge
> was below that.
>
> This one has a totally separate auto-defrost freezer at the
> bottom with the fridge section above that. I'm sure you have
> similar ones over the
>
> http://www.fisherpaykel.com.sg/admin...erators/e372br
> e_sa1jpg3_md.jpg

Yes, that's like mine, which is a Kenmore (Sears house brand). My
freezer has a pull-out drawer with a shelf above it and lots of storage
on the inside of the door. I have a chest freezer down in the basement,
but for finding things I really think I should have gotten an upright.
I open it maybe once or twice a week.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
: On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 02:31:42 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
: > wrote:

: >
[...]

Of course we havwe them. I often wish I had one, but they happened to be
few and far between when I last shopped for a fridge. I like my current
one, but would prefer a botom freezer one(that's what we call them he-)

Wendy

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong Janet B General Cooking 16 03-07-2016 08:23 PM
Spent Grain Starter Merryb Sourdough 3 08-12-2011 06:59 PM
JUST SPENT 1 HOUR ON NET BE YOUR OWN BOSS General Cooking 0 24-09-2007 06:32 AM
Uses for spent tea leaves? Melinda Tea 1 26-09-2004 02:12 PM
Best $3 I've spent on tea lately Lewis Perin Tea 9 04-11-2003 06:16 PM