Old 01-07-2016, 06:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 11:41:13 -0600, Janet B
wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

1 cup rice to 2 shy cups water... for one cup of rice I use 14 ounces
liquid. When adding veggies (onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.) I add
water to the veggies to make 14 ounces of liquid. Raw veggies are
essentially all liquid.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2016 1:41 PM, Janet B wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

The measurements are usually on the package of rice. Not that I cook a
lot of rice anymore. But in a saucepan it's a 1:2 ratio, rice to liquid.

Sorry you had a problem with it, Janet.

Jill
Old 01-07-2016, 08:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 7:41:21 AM UTC-10, Janet B wrote:
I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

I add water by feel and intuition. Sometimes I want the rice drier or mushier. I don't want to be aware of what the proper water measurements are when cooking rice because that would really mess me up.

After conferring with other esteemed Asians, we have decided that the Koreans make the best rice.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:42:26 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 7/1/2016 1:41 PM, Janet B wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

The measurements are usually on the package of rice. Not that I cook a
lot of rice anymore. But in a saucepan it's a 1:2 ratio, rice to liquid.

Sorry you had a problem with it, Janet.

Jill

Oh, I know all that. It's been a long time since I had to look up a
recipe for rice or for that matter for hummingbird food. I just
screwed up this morning. And did it again, And almost again. As I
said, multi tasking too many things this a.m.
Janet US

Old 01-07-2016, 08:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

1 cup rice to 2 shy cups water... for one cup of rice I use 14 ounces
liquid. When adding veggies (onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.) I add
water to the veggies to make 14 ounces of liquid. Raw veggies are
essentially all liquid.

yes, I know. Sorry my post wasn't clear that I wasn't thinking.
Janet US
Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

1 cup rice to 2 shy cups water... for one cup of rice I use 14 ounces
liquid. When adding veggies (onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.) I add
water to the veggies to make 14 ounces of liquid. Raw veggies are
essentially all liquid.

Depends, For my brown rice in large batches I use ABOUT 2.5 cups H2O for 1 cup brown rice. Comes out great every time. Oh, and about 2TBS Butter and 2tsps salt in the water, boil, then throw in the rice and cook covered for about an hour.

John Kuthe...
Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

1 cup rice to 2 shy cups water... for one cup of rice I use 14 ounces
liquid. When adding veggies (onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.) I add
water to the veggies to make 14 ounces of liquid. Raw veggies are
essentially all liquid.

yes, I know. Sorry my post wasn't clear that I wasn't thinking.
Janet US

Sometimes I don't feel like measuring or guesstimating, so I use the
boil + steam method. This example is pretty close, except I put the
rice into cold water. Timing for regular rice is about 10 minutes to
boil and another 10 to steam. Don't remember who used that method
first, but it was either The Galloping Gourmet or The Frugal
Gourmet... and I'd pick Graham Kerr if I had to chose between them.
http://www.thekitchn.com/cooking-tip...method-f-62364

--

sf
Old 02-07-2016, 12:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2016 10:41 AM, Janet B wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

Janet US

Don't be sad - you just invented congee!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

wrote:

[...]

That's pretty intereting. If I didn't love my Zojurushi rice-cooker,
I'd try it.

Hell I may try it anyway!

Old 02-07-2016, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 13:47:39 -0700, gtr wrote:

That's pretty intereting. If I didn't love my Zojurushi rice-cooker,
I'd try it.

I have a rice cooker, but it doesn't live on the counter - so
sometimes it's just easier to make rice on the stove since I'm cooking
there anyway.

--

sf
Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2016-07-02 21:31:20 +0000, sf said:

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 13:47:39 -0700, gtr wrote:

That's pretty intereting. If I didn't love my Zojurushi rice-cooker,
I'd try it.

I have a rice cooker, but it doesn't live on the counter - so
sometimes it's just easier to make rice on the stove since I'm cooking
there anyway.

I guess that's one of the reasons we're so quick to use it--ours does
live on the counter.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Janet B
wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

The things that I've done wrong in my life stand out. The things I've
done right are soon forgotten and not worth a story and remembrance. I
love to post my food screw-ups here. Well... until I burn the house
down.

leo
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message
In article , Janet B
wrote:

I just spent the morning cooking rice wrong. Twice and going on the
third time. By the second time I figured that I wasn't paying
attention and did it wrong the first time. So I carefully measured
1/2 cup rice to 2 cups of water and set it on to cook again. Wallpaper
paste. What the heck? Then it dawned on me. The hummingbird food
recipe is 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water and rice is 1 cup of rice
to 2 cups of water. Arrgh! Old brain trying to multi task don't work

The things that I've done wrong in my life stand out. The things I've
done right are soon forgotten and not worth a story and remembrance. I
love to post my food screw-ups here. Well... until I burn the house
down.

Oh dear ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 4:31:20 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 13:47:39 -0700, gtr wrote:

That's pretty intereting. If I didn't love my Zojurushi rice-cooker,
I'd try it.

I have a rice cooker, but it doesn't live on the counter - so
sometimes it's just easier to make rice on the stove since I'm cooking
there anyway.

--

sf

I have a rice cooker! It's also called a soup pot, and it has many uses. Your rice cooker?

John Kuthe....