Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What I did with the left-over pot roast

Yesterday I made a huge hunk of pot roast in the slow cooker. It was
fabulous but we have lost of leftovers.

We had enchiladas made with low-carb tortillas using the shredded pot
roast as filler. They were yum
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Yesterday I made a huge hunk of pot roast in the slow cooker. It was
> fabulous but we have lots of leftovers.
>
> We had enchiladas made with low-carb tortillas using the shredded pot
> roast as filler. They were yum

Sounds good, Jaye. Salsa was? I haven't had homemade enchiladas in a while.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Yesterday I made a huge hunk of pot roast in the slow cooker. It was
>> fabulous but we have lots of leftovers.
>>
>> We had enchiladas made with low-carb tortillas using the shredded pot
>> roast as filler. They were yum

> Sounds good, Jaye. Salsa was? I haven't had homemade enchiladas in a while.

I make my own enchilada sauce. DH added some salsa from a jar on his. I
put a little sour cream on mine.

My half-tongue only has the ability to react to the fire from hot
peppers and none of the flavor. I can handle wasabi, horseradish,
mustard, but nothing from the pepper family other than sweet, bell peppers.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> Yesterday I made a huge hunk of pot roast in the slow cooker. It was
> >> fabulous but we have lots of leftovers.
> >>
> >> We had enchiladas made with low-carb tortillas using the shredded pot
> >> roast as filler. They were yum

> > Sounds good, Jaye. Salsa was? I haven't had homemade enchiladas in a
> > while.

> I make my own enchilada sauce. DH added some salsa from a jar on his. I
> put a little sour cream on mine.
>
> My half-tongue only has the ability to react to the fire from hot
> peppers and none of the flavor. I can handle wasabi, horseradish,
> mustard, but nothing from the pepper family other than sweet, bell
> peppers.

I'm so sorry to hear that you can't taste the flavor of chiles, Jaye. If
it's any consolation (it's not, and wouldn't be for me, either) 90% of the
chileheads only care about the heat. The existence of inedibly hot hot
sauces makes my point. There are a handful of us who care more about the
flavor. Some of the most flavorful ones are also the hottest. Once you get
past the heat, you've got it licked!

This is from a longtime cyberfriend on alt.binaries.food. She goes by koko,
but I call her Kokolita, so if she posts a reply to me, that's what she
uses. Maybe there's something here you can play with (or for hubby).

Enchilada Sauce from Kokolita

It's the basic recipe I use and a good starting point. Some times I make
it spicier other times mild like this. Depends on what I'm using it for.

koko's Basic Enchilada Sauce

10 dried New Mexico red chiles; 6 medium and 5 hot
1/4 teaspoon dried mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil; I use grapeseed oil

Rinse off the chiles under running water. Place in a large saucepan and
cover generously with water. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and
cover. Let stand covered for 30 to 45 min or until soft. Drain chiles
reserving soaking liquid. Pull the stems off the chiles and gently rinse
off seeds, being careful to not rinse off the delicate flesh also.

Place the chiles in a blender along with one cup of the soaking liquid.
Blend until pureed. Pour into a sieve over a bowl, and rub through the
sieve to eliminate any pulp or seeds.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the spices and swirl around in the
oil a few minutes until fragrant. Add pureed chile and bring to a boil,
reduce heat and simmer a few minutes.

Here is where you may add some chicken broth if the sauce is too thick.
Also now is the time to adjust any seasoning.

**This is how I start my enchilada sauce. Some days I feel like more cumin
or garlic and adjust it from these amounts. I have fickle taste buds and
rarely make it the same way twice.

For baked enchiladas I would make it a little thinner, by adding some
chicken broth. For flat, New Mexico style enchiladas this is a nice thick
rich sauce.

Enchilada sauce - Koko

I don't always have the time to make enchilada sauce from dried chiles
so I sometimes make it using powdered chiles. Not chili powder, that's
a whole different deal.

I've been making it the same way for forever, so I dinked around with
it a little and here's what I came up with.

I made it using three different methods.

The winning method is.

This time I used two tablespoons of oil to two tablespoons of powdered
chilees to two cups of chicken broth.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

pork roast left out overnight GS[_2_] General Cooking 14 31-03-2009 08:41 PM
Left Over Roast Chicken Steve Y[_2_] General Cooking 24 17-04-2007 08:45 PM
Still too much left over! jmcquown General Cooking 19 27-04-2006 04:14 AM
HOW MUCH IS LEFT ? Dave Bugg Barbecue 4 16-02-2005 12:21 PM
left over pot roast Orion General Cooking 42 12-03-2004 07:35 PM