Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Quick Swiss Chard Supper revisited

I may have posted this recipe here before, but I made it a little bit
different tonight. I find it is a good way to get some veggies into us that
we wouldn't ordinarily eat.

I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
digest. At least for me. I then cut the leaves into very fine slivers.
These are added to a large skillet with a couple of splashes of olive oil.
Tonight I added a couple of handfuls of Cremini mushrooms that had been
washed and chopped and a medium onion that had been chopped. I also added a
pound of ground beef (low fat, organic) and cooked until the beef was
browned, crumbling the beef as I went. This was seasoned with salt, pepper
and parsley.

Now if you are doing a very low carb diet, you could eat this as is. I made
it into a gravy (gluten free) by adding a small amount of sweet rice flour
to coat the meat, then slowly adding a carton of organic beef broth,
bringing to a boil and cooking until thick.

My husband likes to eat just this stuff alone, in a bowl with a spoon. For
Angela, I usually serve it over mashed potatoes, but sometimes will make
rice or pasta.