Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S Alan S is offline

Default Quick Swiss Chard Supper revisited

On Fri, 02 May 2008 08:48:09 +0100, Nicky
> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 May 2008 00:19:37 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
>wrote:
>
>>I start with a bunch of Swiss Chard. We like the multi-colored stuff. I
>>then wash it and cut off the thick stems. They seem to be rather hard to
>>digest. At least for me.

>I like Jane Grigson's vegetable bible. She has two recipes for Swiss
>chard; one for the green, leafy bits that sounds similar to yours, and
>another for the stems. She suggests cutting them up and simmering them
>in a milky sauce for 10-15 mins, when of course the leaves only need a
>short time. I have served both to the family, and everyone liked the
>meals, but I was the only one who liked the stems.
>
>Nicky.

We grow Fordhook Giant in the back-yard; although we call it
Silverbeet it's just another from of chard.

I cook it very simply. Wash it well, shake the excess water
off, lop off the tougher stalks but still leave a few inches
from the leaf-start point, make a bundle and slice across in
slim widths. I end up with Julienne-width slices across the
leaves. Then I put it in a microwave container and zap it on
high for a few minutes.

It shrinks incredibly and the water still sticking to the
leaves mixes with the juices cooked out of them to become a
rich green liquor which I mix back into the mass. We eat
what is needed at the time and store the rest in the freezer
in ice-cube containers. The green ice-blocks become instant
greens to be zapped in a mug in the microwave at some future
time.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com