Julie Bove

Default Easy way to test foods for sugar before eating?

"*L* LOL" > wrote in message
> You can't trust the kitchen and wait staff to know what is being
> served.
>
> I like to eat in restaurants often, but there are food groups I must
> avoid. Is there anything like urines test strips made for food? I'd
> like to test my cola to make sure it is really sugar free. Also, I'd
> like to be able to test gravy and sauces, soups and the like for
> sugar.

Those urine strips will work on soft drinks in the US because they are not
made with sugar but with high fructose corn syrup. They will not work on
sugar. I don't know of a way to test foods, but I also don't know why you'd
want to. Is there a reason you are avoiding sugar? Diabetics are no longer
advised to avoid it. We must watch our carbs, and yes, sugar is a carb.
But a little sugar in a food isn't going to have much impact.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Julie Bove > wrote:

: "*L* LOL" > wrote in message
: ...
: > You can't trust the kitchen and wait staff to know what is being
: > served.
: >
: > I like to eat in restaurants often, but there are food groups I must
: > avoid. Is there anything like urines test strips made for food? I'd
: > like to test my cola to make sure it is really sugar free. Also, I'd
: > like to be able to test gravy and sauces, soups and the like for
: > sugar.

: Those urine strips will work on soft drinks in the US because they are
not : made with sugar but with high fructose corn syrup. They will not
work on : sugar. I don't know of a way to test foods, but I also don't
know why you'd : want to. Is there a reason you are avoiding sugar?
Diabetics are no longer : advised to avoid it. We must watch our carbs,
and yes, sugar is a carb. : But a little sugar in a food isn't going to
have much impact.

: --
: Type 2
: http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

I have occasionally tested soft drink using a clinixstrip(sp?) as I I
don't think I could taste the difference. Other foods is don't test, but
I do use a visual check when I am in a Chinese restaurant and order my
food to be made without cornstarch or sugar to see that the sauce is
liquidy, not thick and the food is not shiny, both sighn of cornstarch.

Ask about sauces an ask for them to be served on the side so you can use
just a small amount if you are worried.

Wendy
Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:47:04 -0500, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"*L* LOL" > wrote in message
.. .
>> You can't trust the kitchen and wait staff to know what is being
>> served.
>>
>> I like to eat in restaurants often, but there are food groups I must
>> avoid. Is there anything like urines test strips made for food? I'd
>> like to test my cola to make sure it is really sugar free. Also, I'd
>> like to be able to test gravy and sauces, soups and the like for
>> sugar.

>Those urine strips will work on soft drinks in the US because they are not
>made with sugar but with high fructose corn syrup. They will not work on
>sugar. I don't know of a way to test foods, but I also don't know why you'd
>want to. Is there a reason you are avoiding sugar? Diabetics are no longer
>advised to avoid it.

Can I put two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee/rooibos tea instead of
Sweetex?

>We must watch our carbs, and yes, sugar is a carb.
>But a little sugar in a food isn't going to have much impact.

Julie Bove

"Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC" > wrote in message

> Can I put two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee/rooibos tea instead of
> Sweetex?

Two teaspoons of sugar in a drink is quite different from one teaspoon of
sugar used to make two loaves of bread, or one teaspoon of sugar in a pot of
soup. That's what I was referring to.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

"Jim Miller" > wrote in message
news

> "Dreamstarr" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> > In article >,

> wrote
> >
> > > "*L* LOL" > wrote in message

> > [ ]
> >
> > > Is there a reason you are avoiding sugar? Diabetics are no longer
> > > advised to avoid it. We must watch our carbs, and yes, sugar is a

carb.
> > > But a little sugar in a food isn't going to have much impact.

> > You advocate diabetics using sugar. Would that be refined or natural
> > source or both?
> >
> > Please cite your evidence that this is not dangerous advice. I am sure
> > there are a lot of sweet toothed people out there who would appreciate
> > your quallified advice encouraging them to to indulge once more.
> >

> Wake up Dream....If you read Julie's last post she explains what she
> meant.....and I would have to agree with her. Never once did she say we
> should induldge in sugar. Read first....understand .....and then post
> ...next time

Thank you! One of my hobbies is collecting cookbooks and among them are
some diabetic cookbooks. Prior to the '80s, sugar was totally forbidden for
diabetics. I guess they thought something terrible would happen to us if we
ate any of it at all. Then research indicated that it was not in fact sugar
that was the trouble, but carbs in general. At some point during the '80s,
the ban on sugar for diabetics was lifted, allowing us a somewhat more
varied diet. But again, because it is carbs that raise BG and because sugar
is a carb, it must be factored carefully into our diet just as all other
carbs are. Many of us choose not to eat sugary sweets or even rice simply
because the portion we would be able to eat would be so tiny. For others,
these foods are important to them, so they might be willing to eat a 2"
square of cake with their dinner in lieu of all other forms of carb.

Some people do believe that they can't eat sugar and will go to great
lengths to avoid it. I don't know if this is from outdated information they
received, or if they have truly found that sugar affects them adversely. I
do know that some people find they simply can't eat certain things at all.
Potatoes are one such food that I hear is troublesome for many. And yet
they are one food that usually works quite well for me, so long as I watch
my portion size.

Some people follow the glycemic index. Again, something that doesn't seem
to work for me. For me, in most cases, so long as I don't go over 45 g of
carbs for my lunch and dinner (less for breakfast), my BG is fine. I can
eat a large salad with some kidney and a piece or two of chocolate or a
small cookie. Or I can eat a plate of pasta and a salad. So long as I
don't go over 45 g of carbs, I'm fine.

Now I should add that personally, I prefer to buy some things without added
sugar. Canned vegetables is one such thing. I don't find that the sugar
adds to the taste. In fact, I think it makes the vegetables taste funny,
and it seems to up the carb count. So yes, there are reasons why some
people might want to avoid sugar in some circumstances. I just wasn't sure
why the original poster was so concerned about sugar in his restaurant food.
Restaurant food is so often a crap shoot anyway. Sugar might not be in
there, but there may well be flour, cornstarch, fruit juice or other things
that up the carb count from what we were expecting.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jim Miller

"Dreamstarr" > wrote in message
s.com...
> In article

e.rogers.com>,
> wrote
> >
> > "Dreamstarr" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> > > In article >,

> > wrote

> > > [ ]

carb.

> > > You advocate diabetics using sugar. Would that be refined or natural
> > > source or both?

> > > Please cite your evidence that this is not dangerous advice. I am sure
> > > there are a lot of sweet toothed people out there who would appreciate
> > > your quallified advice encouraging them to to indulge once more.

> > Wake up Dream....If you read Julie's last post she explains what she
> > meant.....and I would have to agree with her. Never once did she say we
> > should induldge in sugar. Read first....understand .....and then post
> > ...next time
> > Jim

> Wake up - had I that post on my server at the time then I most certainly
> would have read it. What makes you assume that I did have it downloaded
> when I responded to the other post? Exactly - nothing.
>
> A simple check of the time of posting of my post and that of the one you
> now refer to should clear that little point up.

I seen the time....but you still pulled what you wanted to hear from her
first post....and not what I read in it.........and you are very welcome
Julie

Jim

Ozgirl

*L* LOL wrote:
> You can't trust the kitchen and wait staff to know what is

being
> served.
>
> I like to eat in restaurants often, but there are food

groups I must
> avoid. Is there anything like urines test strips made for

food? I'd
> like to test my cola to make sure it is really sugar free.

Also, I'd
> like to be able to test gravy and sauces, soups and the

like for
> sugar.

You can use a urine test strip or with some strips, a blood
glucose strip for checking drinks. I know of no other way
to test sauces etc but I find eating soups, sauces and
gravies with a meal make my bg's soar so I usually stick to
sauceless meals unless the sauce is bearnaise or similar.

Jenny

I have read that you can test for sucrose with the glucose strips if you put
a little of the suspect food in your mouth and let your saliva enzymes work
on it for a moment and break it down.

-- Jenny - Low Carbing for 4 years. At goal for weight. Type 2 diabetes,
hba1c 5.2.
Cut the carbs to respond to my email address!

Low carb facts and figures, my weight-loss photos, tips, recipes,
strategies for dealing with diabetes and more at
http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/

Looking for help controlling your blood sugar?
Visit http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm

"*L* LOL" > wrote in message
> You can't trust the kitchen and wait staff to know what is being
> served.
>
> I like to eat in restaurants often, but there are food groups I must
> avoid. Is there anything like urines test strips made for food? I'd
> like to test my cola to make sure it is really sugar free. Also, I'd
> like to be able to test gravy and sauces, soups and the like for
> sugar.
>
> Thanks
> Ol' Sugarfoot

W. Baker

In alt.support.diabetes Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC" > wrote in message
: ...

: > Can I put two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee/rooibos tea instead of
: > Sweetex?

: Two teaspoons of sugar in a drink is quite different from one teaspoon of
: sugar used to make two loaves of bread, or one teaspoon of sugar in a pot of
: soup. That's what I was referring to.

: --
: Type 2
: http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Regular soda contains large amounts of sugar and are quite difficult for
diabetics to handle. Making sure tht yu have really got a diet soda is a
concern.

Wendy

Julie Bove

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> In alt.support.diabetes Julie Bove > wrote:
>

> : "Johan van Zyl - JVZ Systems CC" > wrote in message
> : ...
>
> : > Can I put two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee/rooibos tea instead of
> : > Sweetex?
>
> : Two teaspoons of sugar in a drink is quite different from one teaspoon

of
> : sugar used to make two loaves of bread, or one teaspoon of sugar in a

pot of
> : soup. That's what I was referring to.
>
> : --
> : Type 2
> : http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/
>
> Regular soda contains large amounts of sugar and are quite difficult for
> diabetics to handle. Making sure tht yu have really got a diet soda is a
> concern.

I know that. And in my original reply, I did say that the strips could be
used on soda so long as it contains high fructose corn syrup and not sugar,
such as the soda here in the US. I know that the strips will not work on
sugar because I tried them on it. No reaction at all.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Michael Wäsch

Hi,

> > Regular soda contains large amounts of sugar and are quite difficult for
> > diabetics to handle. Making sure tht yu have really got a diet soda is

> > concern.

> I know that. And in my original reply, I did say that the strips could be
> used on soda so long as it contains high fructose corn syrup and not

sugar,
> such as the soda here in the US. I know that the strips will not work on
> sugar because I tried them on it. No reaction at all.

Out of curiosity I just dipped an urine test strip into Coca Cola an it
instantly indicated lots of glucose ...

Greetings from Germany,

Michael

Ozgirl

Michael Wäsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> > Regular soda contains large amounts of sugar and are

quite
>> > difficult for diabetics to handle. Making sure tht yu

have
>> > really got a diet soda is a concern.

>> I know that. And in my original reply, I did say that

the strips
>> could be used on soda so long as it contains high

fructose corn
>> syrup and not sugar, such as the soda here in the US. I

know that
>> the strips will not work on sugar because I tried them on

it. No
>> reaction at all.

> Out of curiosity I just dipped an urine test strip into

Coca Cola an
> it instantly indicated lots of glucose ...

Same here, and we don't use corn syrup in our "sodas" just
sugar.

Julie Bove

"Michael Wäsch" > wrote in message

> Out of curiosity I just dipped an urine test strip into Coca Cola an it
> instantly indicated lots of glucose ...

Is it made with high fructose corn syrup?

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Julie Bove

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Same here, and we don't use corn syrup in our "sodas" just
> sugar.

Hmmm... I didn't have any regular soda when I got my Clinistix, so I tried
it out on a drink sweetened with sugar and it didn't react at all.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Michael Wäsch

Hi,

> > Out of curiosity I just dipped an urine test strip into Coca Cola an it
> > instantly indicated lots of glucose ...

> Is it made with high fructose corn syrup?

Table of contents says: Sugar

If you want, I can put industrial sugar into water and test it again...

Mike

smallpkg

I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
"high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

Michael Wäsch wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>>Out of curiosity I just dipped an urine test strip into Coca Cola an it
>>>instantly indicated lots of glucose ...

>>Is it made with high fructose corn syrup?

> Table of contents says: Sugar
>
> If you want, I can put industrial sugar into water and test it again...
>
> Mike

Andrea

In article >, smallpkg > wrote:
>You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

Because One Touch Ultra strips cost about 10 times as much as Diastix. Why
spend about a dollar to test your drink when you could spend a dime instead?

--
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
where there is hatred, let me sow love.

remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

Ted Rosenberg

cc'd by email
One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
they are to test BLOOD
any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS

smallpkg wrote:
> I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
> they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
> fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
> of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
> recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
> experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
> "high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
> glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?
>
> Michael Wäsch wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> Is it made with high fructose corn syrup?

>> Table of contents says: Sugar
>>
>> If you want, I can put industrial sugar into water and test it again...
>>
>> Mike

smallpkg

Why test your drink or food unless you have suspicions, which for me
amounts to maybe twice a year (and I eat out plenty)? I see no need to
routinely test the food you're served. If I use urine strips, the
bottle will outdate years before the strips get used up, not to mention
having to carry around another odd bottle.

Andrea wrote:

> In article >, smallpkg > wrote:
>
>>You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
>>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

> Because One Touch Ultra strips cost about 10 times as much as Diastix. Why
> spend about a dollar to test your drink when you could spend a dime instead?
>
> --
> Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
> where there is hatred, let me sow love.
>
> remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

Bay Area Dave

that's what's nice about medical insurance. You can use your strips for
whatever purpose you want. How OFTEN do you check your food and drinks
anyway?? I've got better things to worry about than sampling my food
with test strips. Quit obsessing.

dave

Andrea wrote:

> In article >, smallpkg > wrote:
>
>>You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
>>glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?

> Because One Touch Ultra strips cost about 10 times as much as Diastix. Why
> spend about a dollar to test your drink when you could spend a dime instead?
>
> --
> Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
> where there is hatred, let me sow love.
>
> remove "spamtrap" for e-mail

smallpkg

My point, Ted, is that if people are worried that their beverage is
loaded with sugar, they don't need to buy urine strips, but can use
their blood glucose meter (that they already have with them). Using a
test strip to confirm that your drink is not sugar-free is not
meaningless. I don't place any importance in the reading, but just in
the fact that I can see that I didn't get the diet drink that I ordered.

One time I was able to tell the fast food restaurant manager that they
had the regular coke hooked up to the diet coke spigots. I didn't tell
him for my benefit--I already knew--but I was hoping to help other
diabetics who might not as readily recognize a regular drink.

I can't believe how, on this newsgroup, a perfectly innocent statement
can cause such mayhem.

Ted Rosenberg wrote:

> cc'd by email
> One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
> they are to test BLOOD
> any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS
>
> smallpkg wrote:
>
>> I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
>> they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
>> fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
>> of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
>> recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
>> experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
>> "high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular
>> blood glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?
>>
>> Michael Wäsch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Table of contents says: Sugar
>>>
>>> If you want, I can put industrial sugar into water and test it again...
>>>
>>> Mike

Bay Area Dave

not true. they will read high in the presence of fructose, etc. the
biggest problem is to get them to not give an error if you dip them into
an ice filled drink. I tried it a couple of times for grins, and found
it better to get a sample from the bottom with a straw than to dip the
strip into the top of the soda where the ice is floating around.

dave

Ted Rosenberg wrote:

> cc'd by email
> One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
> they are to test BLOOD
> any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS

Andrea

In article > , Bay Area Dave > wrote:
>that's what's nice about medical insurance. You can use your strips for
>whatever purpose you want. How OFTEN do you check your food and drinks
>anyway?? I've got better things to worry about than sampling my food
>with test strips. Quit obsessing.

Actually, I've never tested my food and drinks. I was trying to be helpful
and answer someone's question. Thanks for the unrequested psychological
advice.

--
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...
where there is hatred, let me sow love.

remove "spamtrap" for e-mail
Bay Area Dave

sure!

dave

Andrea wrote:
Thanks for the unrequested psychological
> advice.

Dreamstar

In article >, wrote

> In alt.support.diabetes Dreamstar > wrote:
> : In article >,
wrote

> : > I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds) and
> : > they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with high
> : > fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had a swig
> : > of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since I
> : > recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
> : > experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
> : > "high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular blood
> : > glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing foods?
> : [ ]
> : Why bother testing at all?
> : Once you have identified a safe source of nourishment then why bother
> : the endless search to try and achieve a facsimilie of pre diabetic
> : eating habits? Oh sorry, I forgot, there are a lot of people out there
> : whose only pleasure in life is stuffing their gullet. I wonder if it is
> : a comfort thing originating from an insecure childhood.

> Having once been blindsided by one of those self-service soda places at a
> local pizza shop(where I didn't eat any pizza) I will occasionally test
> with a diastix if I am at a roadside place or somehere new. I use this
> just for soda, wich is so easy to mison set-up with all those tubes they
> have to connect.
> Wendy

I can see how easily mistakes are made setting up. I never
consume any soda of any kind ever, so I have no concerns
about it.

Ted Rosenberg

cc'd by email

YOU CAN NOT TEST FOOD WITH BLOOD TEST STRIPS

any more than you can test blood with urine strips

why not just throw the food into the air, walk three times around them
and clap your hands, then meditate for the result.

You probably will get more accurate readings!

smallpkg wrote:

> My point, Ted, is that if people are worried that their beverage is
> loaded with sugar, they don't need to buy urine strips, but can use
> their blood glucose meter (that they already have with them). Using a
> test strip to confirm that your drink is not sugar-free is not
> meaningless. I don't place any importance in the reading, but just in
> the fact that I can see that I didn't get the diet drink that I ordered.
>
> One time I was able to tell the fast food restaurant manager that they
> had the regular coke hooked up to the diet coke spigots. I didn't tell
> him for my benefit--I already knew--but I was hoping to help other
> diabetics who might not as readily recognize a regular drink.
>
> I can't believe how, on this newsgroup, a perfectly innocent statement
> can cause such mayhem.
>

> Ted Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> cc'd by email
>> One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
>> they are to test BLOOD
>> any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS
>>
>> smallpkg wrote:
>>
>>> I have often tested beverages with my One Touch strips (all kinds)
>>> and they register high glucose (over 600mg/dl) for drinks made with
>>> high fructose corn syrup or other sugars. I only test when I've had
>>> a swig of a drink that I recognize as non-diet, non-sugarfree, since
>>> I recognize it immediately. Tonight I tested on MaiTai mix (as an
>>> experiment), which is only sweetened with corn syrup, and it tested
>>> "high" on the meter. You're pretty safe to just use your regular
>>> blood glucose meter strips. Why buy urine strips just for testing
>>> foods?

Lee Cooper

Your right!!! The only thing you can check with your meter is a liqiud.
The best thing to use is your sense of taste and knowledge of how foods are
prepared....
As you and most folks know, if you have not used a lot of sugar that when
you get a taste again it will about make you want to barf!!!
"Ted Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> cc'd by email
>
> YOU CAN NOT TEST FOOD WITH BLOOD TEST STRIPS
>
> any more than you can test blood with urine strips
>
> why not just throw the food into the air, walk three times around them
> and clap your hands, then meditate for the result.
>
> You probably will get more accurate readings!
>
> smallpkg wrote:
>
> > My point, Ted, is that if people are worried that their beverage is
> > loaded with sugar, they don't need to buy urine strips, but can use
> > their blood glucose meter (that they already have with them). Using a
> > test strip to confirm that your drink is not sugar-free is not
> > meaningless. I don't place any importance in the reading, but just in
> > the fact that I can see that I didn't get the diet drink that I ordered.
> >
> > One time I was able to tell the fast food restaurant manager that they
> > had the regular coke hooked up to the diet coke spigots. I didn't tell
> > him for my benefit--I already knew--but I was hoping to help other
> > diabetics who might not as readily recognize a regular drink.
> >
> > I can't believe how, on this newsgroup, a perfectly innocent statement
> > can cause such mayhem.
> >

> > Ted Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> >> cc'd by email
> >> One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
> >> they are to test BLOOD
> >> any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS

again...

t2_lurking

AHA!
It was YOU at the Food Court last week.
8))

"Ted Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> cc'd by email
>
> YOU CAN NOT TEST FOOD WITH BLOOD TEST STRIPS
>
> any more than you can test blood with urine strips
>
> why not just throw the food into the air, walk three times around them
> and clap your hands, then meditate for the result.
>
> You probably will get more accurate readings!
>
> smallpkg wrote:
>
> > My point, Ted, is that if people are worried that their beverage is
> > loaded with sugar, they don't need to buy urine strips, but can use
> > their blood glucose meter (that they already have with them). Using a
> > test strip to confirm that your drink is not sugar-free is not
> > meaningless. I don't place any importance in the reading, but just in
> > the fact that I can see that I didn't get the diet drink that I ordered.
> >
> > One time I was able to tell the fast food restaurant manager that they
> > had the regular coke hooked up to the diet coke spigots. I didn't tell
> > him for my benefit--I already knew--but I was hoping to help other
> > diabetics who might not as readily recognize a regular drink.
> >
> > I can't believe how, on this newsgroup, a perfectly innocent statement
> > can cause such mayhem.
> >

> > Ted Rosenberg wrote:
> >
> >> cc'd by email
> >> One touch test strips are NOT to test beverages or urine
> >> they are to test BLOOD
> >> any results from anything else are MEANINGLESS

again...

Julie Bove

"Bay Area Dave" > wrote in message
m...
> that's what's nice about medical insurance. You can use your strips for
> whatever purpose you want. How OFTEN do you check your food and drinks
> anyway?? I've got better things to worry about than sampling my food
> with test strips. Quit obsessing.

Not everyone has medical insurance. And even if they do, they don't always
get unlimited amounts of strips. I do have insurance and I pay about $11
for 100 strips. Until I meet my catastrophic cap that is. And then they're
free.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

louisejoi

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Having once been blindsided by one of those self-service soda places at a
> local pizza shop(where I didn't eat any pizza) I will occasionally test
> with a diastix if I am at a roadside place or somehere new. I use this
> just for soda, wich is so easy to mison set-up with all those tubes they
> have to connect.

I check every time...even if I get a second drink. Just last week the
second drink they brought me was regular Coke. This has happened more than
once and I would say the second drink, when I get one, is more likely to be
incorrect.

--
Best wishes,
Louise