Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 9 foods with more sugar than a Krispy Kreme donut

FYI
http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2014 1:47 PM, sf wrote:

> FYI
> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/

A couple of them were no surprise, but others certainly were. They make
donuts look like a healthy alternative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2014 8:47 AM, sf wrote:

> FYI
> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/

The only Krispy Kreme in the state is in Maui and I got a chance to eat
at one a couple of weeks ago. It's a nice clean, bright, shop and you
get to watch doughnuts being made. Little kids would love going there. I
got a plain and a filled one. The plain one was so intense that I never
got to the filled doughnut. It's a heck of a business.

The Hotel in Kahului was pleasant enough. There was a guy behind me when
I was walking to my room. It was around 9 PM and the outside walkways
were dark. There was a perky local gal in a bikini waiting in front of
her room door who smiled like she was expecting me. My room was the one
before her's and inserted the key card into the reader, I got a quick
glance at the guy going into her room - a nervous young tourist with a
backpack. Oh, so that's the kind of hotel this is. Hopefully, we'll get
a room away from the hookers next time. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:35:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 2/23/2014 1:47 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > FYI
> > http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/
> >

> A couple of them were no surprise, but others certainly were. They make
> donuts look like a healthy alternative.

Yes, yogurt? <sob> Well, I don't eat the sweet stuff anymore, but
that's certainly how I got into eating yogurt in the first place.
First it was fruit on the bottom, mixed in. Then it was leave the
fruit on the bottom. Then mix half fruit left on the bottom with
plain and now that Greek yogurt has come into my life - I eat it
plain. Heck, I even like keifer! I drink it (plain, not flavored)
and use it in place of buttermilk for cooking purposes.

Did you follow any of the links? This was a good one AFAIWC
http://www.motherjones.com/environme...-lies-campaign

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:47:18 -0800, sf wrote:

> FYI
> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...than-a-krispy-

kreme-doughnut/

The donut contains no more "nutrition" than the sugar and fat in it, in
other words it is no more than a treat.

The orange juice, for example might contain more sugar, but it also
contains vitamin C (100% rda according to their website), B-vitamins, and
potassium (as much as 2 bananas). It also naturally contains no fat.

Are the amount of nutrients a "positve" balance against the amount of
sugar? I don't know, but the donut definitely isn't, and a glass of
orange juice has a lot more nutritional value than 2.2 donuts.

A food's overall nutritional value is what needs to be evaluated, not
just its sugar content.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2014 10:20 AM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:47:18 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> FYI
>> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...than-a-krispy-

> kreme-doughnut/
>
> The donut contains no more "nutrition" than the sugar and fat in it, in
> other words it is no more than a treat.
>
> The orange juice, for example might contain more sugar, but it also
> contains vitamin C (100% rda according to their website), B-vitamins, and
> potassium (as much as 2 bananas). It also naturally contains no fat.
>
> Are the amount of nutrients a "positve" balance against the amount of
> sugar? I don't know, but the donut definitely isn't, and a glass of
> orange juice has a lot more nutritional value than 2.2 donuts.
>
> A food's overall nutritional value is what needs to be evaluated, not
> just its sugar content.
>
> Brian Christiansen

All that stuff is relative. If I was starving, I'll take a Krispy Kream
any day you could name over a bowl of granola and yoghurt. Don't kid
yourself, OJ is mostly empty calories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:31:43 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> All that stuff is relative. If I was starving, I'll take a Krispy Kream
> any day you could name over a bowl of granola and yoghurt. Don't kid
> yourself, OJ is mostly empty calories.

Nonsense.

If you were starving (actually starving and not just "really hungry" as
most people use the the term), the only relevant factor is the calorie
content, and I suspect that the highest calorie object on the OP's list
is the great big cupcake.

Otherwise, several factors have to be considered:

1 What does the food offer beyond its calories. Donuts offer pretty
much nothing.

2 How much are you planning on eating. Are you having 1 or 2 donuts
occasionally as a treat, or are you having 1 or 2 dozen every day as the
main staple of your diet.

Are you drinking 1 glass of OJ for the vitamin C, or perhaps because you
like it with breakfast, or whatever reason. Or are you drinking 15 to 20
glasses a day as your main liquid because OJ is "good for you."

3 How is the food prepared. What I mean by this is, for example, is the
yogurt plain yogurt with real fruit mixed in, such as blueberries, or is
it flavored with what amounts to no more than blueberry syrup with a few
blueberries thrown in so the company can say "hey look, real blueberries."

There are probably other considerations, but more than just sugar content
has to be looked at to evaluate a food.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2014 5:59 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 14:31:43 -1000, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> All that stuff is relative. If I was starving, I'll take a Krispy Kream
>> any day you could name over a bowl of granola and yoghurt. Don't kid
>> yourself, OJ is mostly empty calories.

> Nonsense.
>
> If you were starving (actually starving and not just "really hungry" as
> most people use the the term), the only relevant factor is the calorie
> content, and I suspect that the highest calorie object on the OP's list
> is the great big cupcake.

By "starving" I meant "starving" and what really counts is a
concentrated source of energy i.e., fats and sugars. You've merely
reiterated what I just said but in your mind it's some kind of counter
argument.

> Otherwise, several factors have to be considered:
>
> 1 What does the food offer beyond its calories. Donuts offer pretty
> much nothing.
>
> 2 How much are you planning on eating. Are you having 1 or 2 donuts
> occasionally as a treat, or are you having 1 or 2 dozen every day as the
> main staple of your diet.
>
> Are you drinking 1 glass of OJ for the vitamin C, or perhaps because you
> like it with breakfast, or whatever reason. Or are you drinking 15 to 20
> glasses a day as your main liquid because OJ is "good for you."
>
> 3 How is the food prepared. What I mean by this is, for example, is the
> yogurt plain yogurt with real fruit mixed in, such as blueberries, or is
> it flavored with what amounts to no more than blueberry syrup with a few
> blueberries thrown in so the company can say "hey look, real blueberries."
>
> There are probably other considerations, but more than just sugar content
> has to be looked at to evaluate a food.
>
> Brian Christiansen

As I said, it's all relative.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 2/23/2014 1:47 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> FYI
>> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/
>>

> A couple of them were no surprise, but others certainly were. They make
> donuts look like a healthy alternative.

I truly do not understand why they use so much sugar.

Take Coke. It has 5 teaspoons per can. After first teaspoon can anyone
even tell how much sugar is in it? You can only taste so much brix level on
your tongue. Back when I was a kid and we made Kool-Aid the directions
called for a whole cup. I used 1/4 cup and nobody ever could tell the
difference.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2014 10:10:12 AM UTC-10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On 2/23/2014 1:47 PM, sf wrote:

> >> FYI

> >> http://fitlife.tv/9-surprising-foods...reme-doughnut/

> > A couple of them were no surprise, but others certainly were. They make

> > donuts look like a healthy alternative.

> I truly do not understand why they use so much sugar.
>

> Take Coke. It has 5 teaspoons per can. After first teaspoon can anyone
>
> even tell how much sugar is in it? You can only taste so much brix level on
>
> your tongue. Back when I was a kid and we made Kool-Aid the directions
>
> called for a whole cup. I used 1/4 cup and nobody ever could tell the
>
> difference.

That's an interesting way to save on sugar. My guess is that if Krispy Kreme made regular doughnuts, we wouldn't have heard of Krispy Kreme doughnuts. All that sugar is sure to be a hit with the kids and young folks but it's not going to be very appealing to the over 60 crowd. Old people will just have to get their doughnut fix elsewhere. I could use one of those sugar bombs right now!

> ---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-24, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> I truly do not understand why they use so much sugar.

I think KK dnuts were more than jes sugar. They were sugar and
grease! The dnut was jes a tasteless delivery vehicle.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:10:12 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>I truly do not understand why they use so much sugar.

Because the more sugar you consume, the less sensitive your taste buds
become to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:23:58 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>All that sugar is sure to be a hit with the kids and young folks but it's not going to be very appealing to the over 60 crowd.
>Old people will just have to get their doughnut fix elsewhere. I could use one of those sugar bombs right now!

I felt sick just reading that :\
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC-10, Jeßus wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 12:23:58 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi1>
>
> wrote:
>

> >All that sugar is sure to be a hit with the kids and young folks but it's not going to be very appealing to the over 60 crowd.

> >Old people will just have to get their doughnut fix elsewhere. I could use one of those sugar bombs right now!

> I felt sick just reading that :\

Most days I don't have time for breakfast. The only thing I can get in this office is coffee. Man, I sure could use a sugar bomb! What the hell kind of office is this?!