Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default sugar substitute ?

i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
for sugar in my tea ?
thanks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"mikey likes it" > wrote in message
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?

You can put whatever you like in there. I just hope you're not one of those
stevia pushers. You couldn't pay me to use that. And if you are using
sugar then why something natural? Sugar isn't natural. Personally I hate
sweet tea.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

mikey likes it wrote:
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a
> substitute for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

You can use any of the artificial sweeteners that are available. I
personally like Splenda, but others have problems with it. There are
also some who have issues with the other artificial sweeteners because
of other health concerns. You have to weigh the risks and benefits for
your particular situation.

Since you are newly diagnosed, you will probably want to learn more
about how diabetes affects you and how different foods affect you.
Dietitians can provide some (very) general guidelines. However, the
best thing to do is see how food, exercise, stress, etc. affects YOUR
blood glucose. Everyone has slightly (some have greatly) different
tolerances to these stimuli. The only way to know for sure how they
will affect you is for you to use your meter and determine that for
yourself.

Good luck.

- Alan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:18:31 -0400, "mikey likes it"
> wrote:

>i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
>i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
>for sugar in my tea ?
>thanks

They are all OK, including the artificial ones. Go by your
taste buds. There are some kooks on the net warning against
various sweeteners - ignore them, they are idiots.

Over time I found that I dropped all forms of sweetening in
coffee, tea etc anyway. I still have it in diet soft drinks
and yoghurt.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I found that using a mixture of equal and sugar gives me the sweetness I
like without the aftertaste that equal has.
A sugar millin North Queensland is about to start production of a low GI
sugar which may help those of us with a sweet tooth.

"mikey likes it" > wrote in message
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It is alleged that mikey likes it claimed:

> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?

Not really. If by "natural" you mean "not artificial", then no. OTOH,
if you're only slightly above normal range in BG, a teaspoon of "real"
sugar in a single cup of tea won't kill you.

I was already using artificial sweeteners in my iced tea because sugar
doesn't dissolve in cold liquids, so I simply started using the
artificial in hot tea, too. I use Splenda (sucralose) because it
tastes better. I use Sweet&Low (saccharine) when Splenda isn't
available. I cannot use Equal (aspartame) because it gives me
headaches.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"This is a nation that loves our freedom, loves our country." - George
W. Bush, May 17, 2002
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you everyone for your responses.

"mikey likes it" > wrote in message
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:03:11 -0400, "Evelyn Ruut"
> wrote:

>Best Regards,
>
>Evelyn

Nice to see you again. Seems to be a few old-timers dropping
in this week:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, "mikey likes it" > wrote:
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

There are several, actually.

First is Stevia, which a lot of people find unpleasant. I was one of
them for ages unless I stumbled on the Sweet Leaf products - Stevia
Plus and Stevia Drops. The Stevia Plus is mixed with inulin, a
naturally sweet fiber that comes from chicory. The Stevia Drops
come in all different flavors. I like to put the vanilla or milk
chocolate flavors in my coffee, and it tastes pretty good.

There's one other brand of stevia that isn't bad - Stevita, which
makes packets and measurable stevia mixed with erythritol, another
natural sweetener.

You can get any of the above he http://steviasmart.com/

Another natural sweetener is erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.
However, unlike the others (including xylitol, the other natural sugar
alcohol), erythritol does *not*, as a rule, cause gastric problems.
It's about 70% as sweet as sugar, comes in bulk form and can be used
in baking, etc. It's very good, although it has a slight cooling
taste to it.

Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol, but it can cause gastric problems,
so I stay away from it.

You can get erythritol he http://www.netrition.com/lowcarbsucc...itol_page.html

The last one I've used is Lo Han, sold under the brand name of Slim
Sweet. This is a natural sweetener that is 15 times sweeter than
sugar, so you have to do a bit of math while measuring it (1
tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon equals one cup of sugar). It's got a
great taste - sort of like brown sugar - and you can cook with it.

You can get Slim Sweet he http://www.herbalremedies.com/1905.html

It also comes in packets: http://www.herbalremedies.com/9030.html

Hope this helps!

Myra

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article .com>,
Myra > wrote:

> On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, "mikey likes it" > wrote:
> > i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> > i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> > for sugar in my tea ?
> > thanks

> There are several, actually.
>
> First is Stevia, which a lot of people find unpleasant. I was one of
> them for ages unless I stumbled on the Sweet Leaf products - Stevia
> Plus and Stevia Drops. The Stevia Plus is mixed with inulin, a
> naturally sweet fiber that comes from chicory. The Stevia Drops
> come in all different flavors. I like to put the vanilla or milk
> chocolate flavors in my coffee, and it tastes pretty good.
>
> There's one other brand of stevia that isn't bad - Stevita, which
> makes packets and measurable stevia mixed with erythritol, another
> natural sweetener.
>
> You can get any of the above he http://steviasmart.com/
>
> Another natural sweetener is erythritol, which is a sugar alcohol.
> However, unlike the others (including xylitol, the other natural sugar
> alcohol), erythritol does *not*, as a rule, cause gastric problems.
> It's about 70% as sweet as sugar, comes in bulk form and can be used
> in baking, etc. It's very good, although it has a slight cooling
> taste to it.
>
> Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol, but it can cause gastric problems,
> so I stay away from it.
>
> You can get erythritol he
> http://www.netrition.com/lowcarbsucc...itol_page.html
>
> The last one I've used is Lo Han, sold under the brand name of Slim
> Sweet. This is a natural sweetener that is 15 times sweeter than
> sugar, so you have to do a bit of math while measuring it (1
> tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon equals one cup of sugar). It's got a
> great taste - sort of like brown sugar - and you can cook with it.
>
> You can get Slim Sweet he http://www.herbalremedies.com/1905.html
>
> It also comes in packets: http://www.herbalremedies.com/9030.html
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Myra

Hi! Are you Myra of all the wonderful recipes? I'm going to try out
the Slim Sweet, since I get a horrible aftertaste from all but the
polyols, and most of them give me the runs.

Thanks!

Priscilla, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Aug 31, 8:32 pm, Priscilla Ballou > wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> Hi! Are you Myra of all the wonderful recipes? I'm going to try out
> the Slim Sweet, since I get a horrible aftertaste from all but the
> polyols, and most of them give me the runs.

I think I'm that Myra, if you mean the Myra's Cheesecake Myra. LOL!

I was gone from Usenet for a long time, but I'm back now. At the end
of 2002, I was down about 190 pounds, but I've slipped and gained back
some weight, and now I'm only down about 150 pounds, so I need to lose
the 40 pounds of regain plus the balance of what I had left - about 90
pounds total (yes, I was *that* fat). One of the very important
things I've learned is that I need to be on Usenet and in other
support groups, and I need to keep track of everything I eat.

BTW, if you want to use a natural sweetener for my cheesecake, I would
go with the Slim Sweet - it really does have a very nice flavor to
it.

I'm working with a nutrition consultant and fitness trainer now, and
he's taken me off artificial sweeteners, so I've been exploring all
the natural alternatives out there. He and I are working on a book
which will cover nutrition and Type II diabetes, and, of course, will
include a lot of my recipes.

Myra

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, "mikey likes it" > wrote:
> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?
> thanks

There is a natural product to use..it is called sugar.
I use it in all my cooking. It is okay to use according
to the ADA rules.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Aug 30, 7:18 pm, "mikey likes it" > wrote:
>> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
>> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
>> for sugar in my tea ?
>> thanks

> There is a natural product to use..it is called sugar.
> I use it in all my cooking. It is okay to use according
> to the ADA rules.

What's it do to your bg's though.