Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jeffrey Kaplan Jeffrey Kaplan is offline

Default sugar substitute ?

It is alleged that mikey likes it claimed:

> i've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
> i'm wondering if there's a natural product that i can use as a substitute
> for sugar in my tea ?

Not really. If by "natural" you mean "not artificial", then no. OTOH,
if you're only slightly above normal range in BG, a teaspoon of "real"
sugar in a single cup of tea won't kill you.

I was already using artificial sweeteners in my iced tea because sugar
doesn't dissolve in cold liquids, so I simply started using the
artificial in hot tea, too. I use Splenda (sucralose) because it
tastes better. I use Sweet&Low (saccharine) when Splenda isn't
available. I cannot use Equal (aspartame) because it gives me
headaches.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"This is a nation that loves our freedom, loves our country." - George
W. Bush, May 17, 2002