Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brown sugar substitute

Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous Party
Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a substitute for one
cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one cup of white sugar. I
cook mostly in tropical weather and find that 'real' brown sugar can go from
workable to rocks in way less than a minute in this humidity. I'm going to
try the substitute. It sounds reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 8:25 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous
> Party Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a
> substitute for one cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one
> cup of white sugar. I cook mostly in tropical weather and find that
> 'real' brown sugar can go from workable to rocks in way less than a
> minute in this humidity. I'm going to try the substitute. It sounds
> reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

I thought that's what brown sugar is... sugar with added molasses.
<shrug> I don't use it for much but it's one of those things I have
onhand just in case. (Just in case of what, I don't know. LOL) I store
it in a tightly sealed Rubbermaid container. It doesn't turn to granite.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 8:25 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous
> Party Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a
> substitute for one cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one
> cup of white sugar.

That sounds about right. Sugar comes with molasses in it. The refining
process removes the molasses and then they add it back to white sugar to
make brown.

> I cook mostly in tropical weather and find that
> 'real' brown sugar can go from workable to rocks in way less than a
> minute in this humidity. I'm going to try the substitute. It sounds
> reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

That sounds peculiar to me. I keep brown sugar in a sealed container and
a half slice of bread it it. I have no problems with it solidifying
during our humid summer weather, but in the winter the air gets drier
and it hardens in an open container in about a day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 8, 2013 12:01:53 PM UTC+10, jmcquown wrote:

> I thought that's what brown sugar is... sugar with added molasses.

Some brown sugar is white sugar + molasses. Some brown sugar is "natural brown sugar", where the molasses hasn't been removed yet. In the added-molasses versions, sometimes the molasses isn't even cane molasses.

Quite a few traditional varieties of natural brown sugars are known by (and marketed under) traditional names, rather than as "brown sugar", but they're still brown sugars. (E.g., Demerara sugar, jaggery.)

(The UK and Australian substitute should be 1tbs treacle per cup.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" <>
> That sounds peculiar to me. I keep brown sugar in a sealed container and a
> half slice of bread it it. I have no problems with it solidifying during
> our humid summer weather, but in the winter the air gets drier and it
> hardens in an open container in about a day.

Got it, Dave. I store brown sugar double-wrapped in plastic and in a sealed
container. But. The simple effort of packing a cup and/or more of brown
sugar requires mad fast combining with a liquid and/or sifting. I'm
thinking it has to do with mostly 100% more or less humidity. Just a cup of
white sugar plus a T of molasses sounds much easier. I'll let you know if
anything explodes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 19:25:25 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous Party
> Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a substitute for one
> cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one cup of white sugar. I
> cook mostly in tropical weather and find that 'real' brown sugar can go from
> workable to rocks in way less than a minute in this humidity. I'm going to
> try the substitute. It sounds reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

I think that's a reasonable substitution for brown sugar when you're
making something like pecan pie. I've never tried it because brown
sugar never gets hard where I live, but I also know that's unusual.

Just learned this fact tonight: I live in one of only 5 places in the
world with a "Mediterranean climate" (and I'd like to know where the
other three are). When I look at the Wikipedia map, it looks like the
Mediterranean climate is clustered around the Mediterranean Sea (which
isn't odd)... and then there's us. Now that's odd... but hey, we're
out of step in a lot of other ways and unabashedly famous for it too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 21:01:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 11/7/2013 8:25 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> > Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous
> > Party Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a
> > substitute for one cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one
> > cup of white sugar. I cook mostly in tropical weather and find that
> > 'real' brown sugar can go from workable to rocks in way less than a
> > minute in this humidity. I'm going to try the substitute. It sounds
> > reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

> I thought that's what brown sugar is... sugar with added molasses.
> <shrug> I don't use it for much but it's one of those things I have
> onhand just in case. (Just in case of what, I don't know. LOL) I store
> it in a tightly sealed Rubbermaid container. It doesn't turn to granite.

The point is that when you add a liquid or semi-liquid to sugar, you
melt it... something that doesn't matter if you're using it to make
pecan pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 22:29:25 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "Dave Smith" <>
> > That sounds peculiar to me. I keep brown sugar in a sealed container and a
> > half slice of bread it it. I have no problems with it solidifying during
> > our humid summer weather, but in the winter the air gets drier and it
> > hardens in an open container in about a day.

> Got it, Dave. I store brown sugar double-wrapped in plastic and in a sealed
> container. But. The simple effort of packing a cup and/or more of brown
> sugar requires mad fast combining with a liquid and/or sifting. I'm
> thinking it has to do with mostly 100% more or less humidity. Just a cup of
> white sugar plus a T of molasses sounds much easier. I'll let you know if
> anything explodes.

I'm all mixed up about who lives where. I was thinking you live in
Alaska (somebody does)... you're in Florida?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2013 22:29:25 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Dave Smith" <>
>> > That sounds peculiar to me. I keep brown sugar in a sealed container
>> > and a
>> > half slice of bread it it. I have no problems with it solidifying
>> > during
>> > our humid summer weather, but in the winter the air gets drier and it
>> > hardens in an open container in about a day.

>> Got it, Dave. I store brown sugar double-wrapped in plastic and in a
>> sealed
>> container. But. The simple effort of packing a cup and/or more of brown
>> sugar requires mad fast combining with a liquid and/or sifting. I'm
>> thinking it has to do with mostly 100% more or less humidity. Just a cup
>> of
>> white sugar plus a T of molasses sounds much easier. I'll let you know
>> if
>> anything explodes.

> I'm all mixed up about who lives where. I was thinking you live in
> Alaska (somebody does)... you're in Florida?

Judy lives in Alaska, now known as gramma.

Cheri

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Esther[_2_] View Post
Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous Party
Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a substitute for one
cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one cup of white sugar. I
cook mostly in tropical weather and find that 'real' brown sugar can go from
workable to rocks in way less than a minute in this humidity. I'm going to
try the substitute. It sounds reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly
I was taught to use 3/4 cup white sugar to 1/4 cup molasses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Just learned this fact tonight: I live in one of only 5 places in the
> world with a "Mediterranean climate" (and I'd like to know where the
> other three are). When I look at the Wikipedia map, it looks like the
> Mediterranean climate is clustered around the Mediterranean Sea (which
> isn't odd)... and then there's us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate

"A Mediterranean climate is the climate typical of the lands in the
Mediterranean Basin, and is a particular variety of subtropical climate.
The lands around the Mediterranean Sea form the largest area where this
climate type is found, but it also prevails in much of California, in
parts of Western and South Australia, in southwestern South Africa,
sections of Central Asia, and in parts of central coastal Chile."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Medclim.png

shows that not all of the areas bordering the Med, share
a Mediterranean climate

and anyway, there are distinctly different types of Mediterranean
climate (hot summer and warm summer)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate#Hot-
summer_Mediterranean_climate

Janet UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 3:25 PM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous
> Party Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a
> substitute for one cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one
> cup of white sugar. I cook mostly in tropical weather and find that
> 'real' brown sugar can go from workable to rocks in way less than a
> minute in this humidity. I'm going to try the substitute. It sounds
> reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

I tried this when I was a kid. It sounds like a good idea but the
results aren't that convincing. It is, however, better than nothing.
Making a pecan pie would be a good idea. My guess is that it would taste
like a pecan pie made with molasses which would probably still be pretty
damn tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:25:25 PM UTC-7, Polly Esther wrote:
> Well. Here's a new one for me. In Best of the Best Fast & Fabulous Party
>
> Foods and Appetizers by McKee and Moseley, I read that a substitute for one
>
> cup of brown sugar is one tablespoon molasses to one cup of white sugar. I
>
> cook mostly in tropical weather and find that 'real' brown sugar can go from
>
> workable to rocks in way less than a minute in this humidity. I'm going to
>
> try the substitute. It sounds reasonable. Pecan pie coming soon. Polly

Perhaps the "brown" form of SPLENDA would work. Might be
a worthwhile substitution. Check it out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> That sounds about right. Sugar comes with molasses in it. The refining
> process removes the molasses and then they add it back to white sugar to
> make brown.

That's only true of brown sugar from sugar beets,
which is white sugar coated with a sugar cane extract.
Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 7:50:13 AM UTC+10, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.

Quite possibly true. However, some cane brown sugar is made by adding molasses back to sugar. For more convenience in manufacture (and more control of final product). I don't know of any reason why they would use white sugar instead of raw sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-09 4:50 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> That sounds about right. Sugar comes with molasses in it. The refining
>> process removes the molasses and then they add it back to white sugar to
>> make brown.

> That's only true of brown sugar from sugar beets,
> which is white sugar coated with a sugar cane extract.
> Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.

Several sites I read disagree with you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 13:50:13 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > That sounds about right. Sugar comes with molasses in it. The refining
> > process removes the molasses and then they add it back to white sugar to
> > make brown.

> That's only true of brown sugar from sugar beets,
> which is white sugar coated with a sugar cane extract.
> Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.

He's in the part of the country that would normally have beet sugar.
The rest of us get one or the other, depending on price negotiations,
unless the package is clearly labeled as something specific... which
is when I cross my fingers and hope it's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-09 5:41 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 13:50:13 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds about right. Sugar comes with molasses in it. The refining
>>> process removes the molasses and then they add it back to white sugar to
>>> make brown.

>> That's only true of brown sugar from sugar beets,
>> which is white sugar coated with a sugar cane extract.
>> Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.

> He's in the part of the country that would normally have beet sugar.
> The rest of us get one or the other, depending on price negotiations,
> unless the package is clearly labeled as something specific... which
> is when I cross my fingers and hope it's true.

I checked a number of sites. One site was for a brand of cane sugar....
marketed as can sugar not brown sugar... with a blurb at the bottom
about how other how other brown sugars are artificially coloured but
that their product is a natural combination of sugar and molasses. All
the other sites said that brown sugar is made by combining white sugar
with molasses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 18:13:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-11-09 5:41 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 13:50:13 -0800, Mark Thorson >
>> wrote:

>>> That's only true of brown sugar from sugar beets,
>>> which is white sugar coated with a sugar cane extract.
>>> Brown sugar from sugar cane has never been white sugar.

>> He's in the part of the country that would normally have beet sugar.
>> The rest of us get one or the other, depending on price negotiations,
>> unless the package is clearly labeled as something specific... which
>> is when I cross my fingers and hope it's true.
>>

>I checked a number of sites. One site was for a brand of cane sugar....
>marketed as can sugar not brown sugar... with a blurb at the bottom
>about how other how other brown sugars are artificially coloured but
>that their product is a natural combination of sugar and molasses. All
>the other sites said that brown sugar is made by combining white sugar
>with molasses.

I have a light brown sugar that lists its ingredients as "Evaporated
cane juice." It is Florida Crystals and the label says "Natural
Sugar, Pure Florida cane sugar. Certified carbon free.

I found a bag in a "general store" that is labeled Evaporated Cane
Juice.

I would guess that dark brown sugar has molasses added and right now I
do not have a package of regular light brown sugar. Will probably be
at the grocer store today and will check the labels on some packages.

BTW evaporated cane sugar is much more expensive that the molasses
added.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> I would guess that dark brown sugar has molasses added and right now I
> do not have a package of regular light brown sugar. Will probably be
> at the grocer store today and will check the labels on some packages.

I've got a brand new box of Dominos Light Brown Sugar. Ingredients
say: Brown Sugar. heheh That doesn't tell us much.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:14:24 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 18:13:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2013-11-09 5:41 PM, sf wrote:

>>> He's in the part of the country that would normally have beet sugar.
>>> The rest of us get one or the other, depending on price negotiations,
>>> unless the package is clearly labeled as something specific... which
>>> is when I cross my fingers and hope it's true.
>>>

>>I checked a number of sites. One site was for a brand of cane sugar....
>>marketed as can sugar not brown sugar... with a blurb at the bottom
>>about how other how other brown sugars are artificially coloured but
>>that their product is a natural combination of sugar and molasses. All
>>the other sites said that brown sugar is made by combining white sugar
>>with molasses.

>I have a light brown sugar that lists its ingredients as "Evaporated
>cane juice." It is Florida Crystals and the label says "Natural
>Sugar, Pure Florida cane sugar. Certified carbon free.
>
>I found a bag in a "general store" that is labeled Evaporated Cane
>Juice.
>
>I would guess that dark brown sugar has molasses added and right now I
>do not have a package of regular light brown sugar. Will probably be
>at the grocer store today and will check the labels on some packages.
>
>BTW evaporated cane sugar is much more expensive that the molasses
>added.

I know sugar cane- well I grew up on a sugar plantation long ago..
When sugar juice is extracted from the cane, it goes into the boiler
and it comes out as thick molasses with sugar in it. So you spin out
the molasses in a cool centrifugal machine and you have raw sugar-
which is sort of brownish and molasses. Then the Hawaiian sugar goes
to the refinery in CA where they remelt it, extract the bit of brown
that's left and then recrystalize it to white.

So, to get brown sugar in the store- the dark brown kind, they add
molasses back. "Evaporated cane Juice" is how it begins, imho- boil
the natural cane juices as I start above. simply sugar. Funny term.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:05:24 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>>
>> I would guess that dark brown sugar has molasses added and right now I
>> do not have a package of regular light brown sugar. Will probably be
>> at the grocer store today and will check the labels on some packages.

>I've got a brand new box of Dominos Light Brown Sugar. Ingredients
>say: Brown Sugar. heheh That doesn't tell us much.
>
>G.

Dominos Sugar is made from beets. Don't think there is molasses in
beets- but I could be wrong.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:49:50 AM UTC+10, pure kona wrote:

> Dominos Sugar is made from beets. Don't think there is molasses in
> beets- but I could be wrong.

There is beet molasses. Cane molasses is supposed to be better for brown sugar. (And if Austrian rum is made from beet molasses, I think cane molasses is better for rum as well.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:01:37 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:49:50 AM UTC+10, pure kona wrote:
>>
>> Dominos Sugar is made from beets. Don't think there is molasses in
>> beets- but I could be wrong.

>There is beet molasses. Cane molasses is supposed to be better for brown sugar. (And if Austrian rum is made from beet molasses, I think cane molasses is better for rum as well.)

Thank you, I don't know beet/sugar. Just cane sugar.

I do think they make some rum out of cane sugar but I have never had
any.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:16:07 -1000, pure kona
> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:01:37 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:49:50 AM UTC+10, pure kona wrote:
>>>
>>> Dominos Sugar is made from beets. Don't think there is molasses in
>>> beets- but I could be wrong.

>>There is beet molasses. Cane molasses is supposed to be better for brown sugar. (And if Austrian rum is made from beet molasses, I think cane molasses is better for rum as well.)

>Thank you, I don't know beet/sugar. Just cane sugar.
>
>I do think they make some rum out of cane sugar but I have never had
>any.

I mostly use turbinado cane sugar, it's a purer sugar than white sugar
and has only a very mild molasses flavor.
http://voices.yahoo.com/turbinado-su...55.html?cat=51

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:24:55 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:16:07 -1000, pure kona
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:01:37 -0800 (PST), Timo
> wrote:

>>>There is beet molasses. Cane molasses is supposed to be better for brown sugar. (And if Austrian rum is made from beet molasses, I think cane molasses is better for rum as well.)

>>Thank you, I don't know beet/sugar. Just cane sugar.
>>
>>I do think they make some rum out of cane sugar but I have never had
>>any.

>I mostly use turbinado cane sugar, it's a purer sugar than white sugar
>and has only a very mild molasses flavor.
>http://voices.yahoo.com/turbinado-su...55.html?cat=51

Yes, I have seen turbinado and it reminds me of what we called "raw
sugar". Just out of the mill and on the way to the refinery, we'd
scoop handfuls as the conveyor went by. It was even warm. "Raw sugar"
had more molasses than the turbinado I see locally. The raw sugar also
was larger crystals. Childhood on a sugar plantation in the middle
of nowhere had its benefits. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

aloha,
Cea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 8:16:07 AM UTC+10, pure kona wrote:

> I do think they make some rum out of cane sugar but I have never had
> any.

Cane molasses is the usual source for rum. Some rum is made with cane juice (and some "rums" made with cane juice are usually distinguished from rum by the use of cane juice instead of molasses. E.g., cachaça.) It's a waste of energy (and therefore money) to convert the cane juice to sugar and then mix it back with water to make rum; just ferment the juice as is, or use molasses (which is a by-product).

We have a shortage of good rum in Australia - we make lots, and export lots, but unfortunately most of that is not good rum. But as a rum producer, we import less. Not too bad, can find good Caribbean rums, and occasionally others, such as Filipino rums. There are some good local rums, too, but they're not as popular as the bad local rums.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 5:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
ast

> I mostly use turbinado cane sugar, it's a purer sugar than white sugar
> and has only a very mild molasses flavor.
> http://voices.yahoo.com/turbinado-su...55.html?cat=51

Purer? When I have brown sugar on hot or cold cereal I want some
flavour, not just sweetness. I use the darkest sugar I can find.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I mostly use turbinado cane sugar, it's a purer sugar than white sugar
>> and has only a very mild molasses flavor.
>> http://voices.yahoo.com/turbinado-su...55.html?cat=51
>>

>Purer? When I have brown sugar on hot or cold cereal I want some
>flavour, not just sweetness. I use the darkest sugar I can find.

Perhaps you should move to Harlem! LOL