Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Flax Seed

Can someone explain to me how to use flax seed. I guess I have to grind it
then throw it in some food while cooking or after?
Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Or take the oil in say a glass of milk whipped with a hand blender.
I use it in my protien shakes before bed..the fats and protiens seem to keep
me from having high mornign bg numbers.
Or you put the seeds in yer morn ceral or oatmeal etc.
Or you can simply take capsules.

KROM

"Cougar" > wrote in message
> Can someone explain to me how to use flax seed. I guess I have to grind
> it
> then throw it in some food while cooking or after?
> Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cougar presented the following explanation :
> Can someone explain to me how to use flax seed. I guess I have to grind it
> then throw it in some food while cooking or after?
> Kris

I buy the Milled Flax Seed (Walmart $0.99) and put 2 Tablespoons in my
lo carb waffle mix. I also add to the mix when I bake my own bread.
You can throw it on top of cerial.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thanks

> I buy the Milled Flax Seed (Walmart $0.99) and put 2 Tablespoons in my
> lo carb waffle mix. I also add to the mix when I bake my own bread.
> You can throw it on top of cerial.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

If you're "flax ambitious" you can try flax flips as recommended by
cardiologist Dr. Gottlieb in his "Greens, beans and Leans" diet which you
can find on the web as a PDF file. The diet is recommended for Type II's and
the obese.

The flax flips are simply flax meal, liquid egg and salt. You mix them to
the consistancy of pancake batter and fry them in a little canola oil. Make
them small, like silver dollar pancakes. I use a coffee grinder to grind
whole flax seed. As for taste, they're merely OK...nothing spectacular, but
they might be good with peanut butter.

"Cougar" > wrote in message
> Can someone explain to me how to use flax seed. I guess I have to grind
> it
> then throw it in some food while cooking or after?
> Kris

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Sat, 26 May 2007 23:20:06 -0400, Eddie
> wrote:

>Cougar presented the following explanation :
>> Can someone explain to me how to use flax seed. I guess I have to grind it
>> then throw it in some food while cooking or after?
>> Kris

>I buy the Milled Flax Seed (Walmart $0.99) and put 2 Tablespoons in my
>lo carb waffle mix. I also add to the mix when I bake my own bread.
>You can throw it on top of cerial.

G'day G'day Eddie,

The oils in flaxseed are sensitive to light. If the flaxseed meal
is the residue from pressing the flaxseed for its oil there is no
problem. The defatted flaxseed is stable without refrigeration for
months and can be used for baking etc.

However if the flaxseed has simply been ground we are talking about a
very different situation. The vulnerable oils are exposed to air and
at a higher than safe temperature. Personally I wouldn't suggest
using it unless it has been stored with refrigeration.

IMHO those people who grind their own are doing the right thing.

Best wishes,
--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Flax Seed Grinding sugacookie General Cooking 80 03-06-2005 10:52 AM
Flax Seed as an Egg Substitute Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2005 03:17 AM
Flax Seed Smoothie Steve Silverman Recipes (moderated) 0 23-01-2005 03:17 AM
Flax Seed Bread Big Bunny Vegan 2 13-09-2004 12:54 PM
Flax Seed Lemonade Peanutjake Diabetic 4 19-10-2003 05:08 PM