Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Panasonic Rice Cooker

Amazon has a Panasonic rice cooker for $40-SR-TE15PW is the model number,
and I am considering a purchase. Has anyone had experience with this model?
I have a Black and Decker cooker, and it burns the rice pretty badly on the
bottom of the pan. Can I expect more of the same from this one?

Thank you-

Brad

Posted to rec.food.equipment

slugbrad wrote:
> Amazon has a Panasonic rice cooker for $40-SR-TE15PW is the model number,
> and I am considering a purchase. Has anyone had experience with this model?
> I have a Black and Decker cooker, and it burns the rice pretty badly on the
> bottom of the pan. Can I expect more of the same from this one?
>
> Thank you-
>

> Brad

I have a pansonic bought 11 years ago. It has no wram feature. Called
Taiwanese style. The rice gets stuck at the bottom a little bit. If not
enough water, then a lot. It ha sbeen reliable.

You should have posted a link to that. I can see whether it looks
similar to mine.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:16:04 -0500, "slugbrad"
> wrote:

>Amazon has a Panasonic rice cooker for $40-SR-TE15PW is the model number,
>and I am considering a purchase. Has anyone had experience with this model?
>I have a Black and Decker cooker, and it burns the rice pretty badly on the
>bottom of the pan. Can I expect more of the same from this one?

I have a B&D rice cooker that I initially had bad results with until I
realized that I needed to put the ingredients in the right order. In
the case of my machine, I have to put the rice in first, then fill it
to the correct level with water. Also, you can't leave these things
on the warm setting for hours and expect no problems. I'm pleased
with mine: it does the job, and it's easy to clean up once I let the
cooking bowl soak a bit so the starch can release.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

>I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
>it's perfect every time (perhaps surprisingly so) and cleanup is a
>breeze--never any burned stuff or anything.

I have to agree with you. While I no longer cook rice, back when I did it
was perfect every time. It did take a little practice to get perfect, but
once I did it was perfect from then on.

>And I use an electric stove...

I used a gas one.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
[..]

> I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
> it's perfect every time (perhaps surprisingly so) and cleanup is a
> breeze--never any burned stuff or anything.

The convenience for me is that I can forget about it. When I was in
school, I study by the stove and would cook on stove top.

Cooking in microwave works too.

> And I use an electric stove...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:27:28 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
>it's perfect every time

Same here...but I do mine in the microwave...perfect every time. Now
it does take the usual 20 minutes...but that is ok.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
max max is offline

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:27:28 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > wrote:
>
> >I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
> >it's perfect every time

> Same here...but I do mine in the microwave...perfect every time. Now
> it does take the usual 20 minutes...but that is ok.

I've asked the var. asians where i work what they use... universal response:
rice cooker. Most advocate the simple thermostatic model, with the
technophile Nihonjin favoring, of course, the fuzzy logic cooker. BTW, did
you ever see one of the Korean _pressure_ rice cookers? unbelievable.

..max
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Amanda" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> You should have posted a link to that. I can see whether it looks

> similar to mine.

Here's the link- sorry I didn't include it at first-
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000EZ1LE/qid=1149335249/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_23/104-7597640-6821545?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=kitchen&v=glance&n=2845 07>

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message

> I have a B&D rice cooker that I initially had bad results with until I
> realized that I needed to put the ingredients in the right order. In
> the case of my machine, I have to put the rice in first, then fill it
> to the correct level with water. Also, you can't leave these things
> on the warm setting for hours and expect no problems. I'm pleased
> with mine: it does the job, and it's easy to clean up once I let the
> cooking bowl soak a bit so the starch can release.

We must not have the same model- clean up on my B&D is easy with no soaking,
but the rice is burnt on the bottom, even if I pull the plug right when it
snaps from cook to warm- I'm glad your having good luck with yours!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
> it's perfect every time (perhaps surprisingly so) and cleanup is a
> breeze--never any burned stuff or anything.
>
> And I use an electric stove...

I would have been right with you a few years ago, but these days I get home
from work, and want to fix a nice meal for my family- as well as deal with
the kids-homework, and juggling sports and extracurriculars. One less
thing, even if it's a little one, to have to think about is nice. I'd like
it if I could find a cooker to make great brown rice for me, so I can attend
to other things.

Brad

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:25:23 -0400, Don Wiss >
wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Jun 2006, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
>
>>I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
>>it's perfect every time (perhaps surprisingly so) and cleanup is a
>>breeze--never any burned stuff or anything.

>I have to agree with you. While I no longer cook rice, back when I did it
>was perfect every time. It did take a little practice to get perfect, but
>once I did it was perfect from then on.
>
>>And I use an electric stove...

>I used a gas one.

Rice cookers are all about not having to be right there at the end of
20 minutes of cooking to turn off the heat. That is their single
advantage, and for us, it's worthwhile as we have other food to
prepare and watch more closely.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"slugbrad" > wrote:

>"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>> In>
>> I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
>> it's perfect every time (perhaps surprisingly so) and cleanup is a
>> breeze--never any burned stuff or anything.
>>
>> And I use an electric stove...
>>

>I would have been right with you a few years ago, but these days I get home
>from work, and want to fix a nice meal for my family- as well as deal with
>the kids-homework, and juggling sports and extracurriculars. One less
>thing, even if it's a little one, to have to think about is nice. I'd like
>it if I could find a cooker to make great brown rice for me, so I can attend
>to other things.
>
>Brad

I have a Panasonic SR-TMB10, which does great brown rice. Highly
recommended - it's a 'fuzzy logic' model, and cost me $69 at
Linens'n'Things.
David Eastwood -
Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline

To get rice to release easily: run cold water over the outside of the
inner cooking pot. Also rinse your rice paddle with cold water.
Then fluff up the rice.

Joan

Posted to rec.food.equipment

slugbrad wrote:
> "Amanda" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> >> You should have posted a link to that. I can see whether it looks

> > similar to mine.
> >

> Here's the link- sorry I didn't include it at first-
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000EZ1LE/qid=1149335249/sr=1-23/ref=sr_1_23/104-7597640-6821545?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=kitchen&v=glance&n=2845 07>

Reading formt he review there, some like it, some doesn't but I think
if you put enough rice, ti should be okay. But I don't like the warmer
hting if it's gonna dry the rice. If that is the case, I prefer the one
w/o warmer.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

max wrote:
> In article >,
> Ward Abbott > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:27:28 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >I don't understand the rice cooker thing. I do mine on the stove, and
> > >it's perfect every time

> > Same here...but I do mine in the microwave...perfect every time. Now
> > it does take the usual 20 minutes...but that is ok.

> I've asked the var. asians where i work what they use... universal response:
> rice cooker. Most advocate the simple thermostatic model, with the
> technophile Nihonjin favoring, of course, the fuzzy logic cooker. BTW, did
> you ever see one of the Korean _pressure_ rice cookers? unbelievable.

pressure rice cooker? Any link? Pics?

> .max

Posted to rec.food.equipment
max max is offline

In article . com>,
"Amanda" > wrote:

> max wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Ward Abbott > wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:27:28 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

> > > Same here...but I do mine in the microwave...perfect every time. Now
> > > it does take the usual 20 minutes...but that is ok.

> > I've asked the var. asians where i work what they use... universal response:
> > rice cooker. Most advocate the simple thermostatic model, with the
> > technophile Nihonjin favoring, of course, the fuzzy logic cooker. BTW, did
> > you ever see one of the Korean _pressure_ rice cookers? unbelievable.

> pressure rice cooker? Any link? Pics?
> >
> > .max

This is where i usually see them: <http://tinyurl.com/rc2do>
You can spot them by of the extra knob on the lid.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

FYI- I did get this rice cooker, and it works great- it's a much better
design than the B&D. It doesn't burn the rice, it controls the steam way
better, and I really like the retractable cord.

Brad