Default Southbend Commercial Model

Hey Foodies-

My husband and I are considering purchasing the stove that is described
in the text below for our home. Are we crazy? Are we asking for a
torched house?

Features 6 clog-free 27,000 BTU burners. Exclusive stainless steel
front, shelf, and sides. Removable cast iron, flush top grates.
Single-piece drip tray under burners. Heat resistant door handle.
Hinged lower valve panel. 32,000 BTU standard single rack oven. Large
26" wide x 26-1/2" deep oven cavity fits full sheet pans both ways.
Equipped with flame safety device. Thermostat range from 250=B0F to
500=B0F with low setting. Includes 6" adjustable legs.

Dimensions: 36-1/2"w. x 34"d. x 37" stovetop height x 59-1/2" overall
height (includes 6" legs)
Mfg. #: 336D-F
Manufacturer: Southbend
Specifications: 27,000 BTU burners, 32,000 BTU oven, NSF, CSA

Please give me all opinions and facts (prefereably the latter.) Do I
need a firewall? Do I need a super-duper venting system? Will I need
to significantly brace my 110-year-old floor before installing? We are
going to put it against the original brick of the home, which is a
double layer.

I called my insurance company and they have no problem with me
installing this type of unit, by the way. I read a lot of conflicting
information on that topic here.

Any and all help will be hugely appreciated!

-Jennifer

Ida Slapter

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:35:06 GMT, "FDR"
> wrote:

>And you'll need a big gas supply line.

three quarter inch will be more than ample. Gas doesn't work by
pressure....just presence.

FDR

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:35:06 GMT, "FDR"
> > wrote:
>
>>And you'll need a big gas supply line.

> three quarter inch will be more than ample. Gas doesn't work by
> pressure....just presence.

Not really. For a desired BTU, you need a specific supply rate and that is
porportional to the length of the supply run and the size of the pipe. Our
pool heater gas line was installed incorrectly by the previous owners. It's
a 250,000 BTU heater and the length of the run to it is about 50 feet, but
it's 3/4 " pipe and can only supply enough natural gas to burn 160,000 BTU.
We had to get a new gas meter and line put in to supply the required amount.

Ida Slapter

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:28:27 GMT, "FDR"
> wrote:

> but
>it's 3/4 " pipe and can only supply enough natural gas to burn 160,000 BTU.
>We had to get a new gas meter and line put in to supply the required amount.

Three quarter pipe will be MORE than adequate for 160000BTU her
Southend range will require. Southbend equips the range with 3/4" gas
intake and regulator. I am positive that they know what they are
doing.

FDR

"Ida Slapter" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:28:27 GMT, "FDR"
> > wrote:
>
>> but
>>it's 3/4 " pipe and can only supply enough natural gas to burn 160,000
>>BTU.
>>We had to get a new gas meter and line put in to supply the required
>>amount.

> Three quarter pipe will be MORE than adequate for 160000BTU her
> Southend range will require. Southbend equips the range with 3/4" gas
> intake and regulator. I am positive that they know what they are
> doing.

My 250,000 BTU pool heater has 3/4" gas intake too, but that doesn't mean it
takes a 3/4" line fro0m supply to heater.

Jumping Jack Flash

My husband and I are considering purchasing the stove that is described
in the text below for our home. Are we crazy? Are we asking for a
torched house?

You should verify that Southbend will honor the warranty on a commercial
range used for residential installation. They typically use local service
agencies who are commercial, and may or may not do work in your home. Also,
I have been selling and repping kitchen equipment for 12 years, and I would
NEVER sell a commercial piece for someone to use at home. You may need to
call around to buy one, and will likely not find a commercial service shop
to do install or repairs.

much as the size of the hose. Just because you have a 3/4" hose, doesn't
mean that you have enough PSI to operate to full potential. You;d need a
plumber to verify this.

Vox Humana

"Jumping Jack Flash" > wrote in message
.. .
> My husband and I are considering purchasing the stove that is described
> in the text below for our home. Are we crazy? Are we asking for a
> torched house?
>
> You should verify that Southbend will honor the warranty on a commercial
> range used for residential installation. They typically use local service
> agencies who are commercial, and may or may not do work in your home.

Also,
> I have been selling and repping kitchen equipment for 12 years, and I

would
> NEVER sell a commercial piece for someone to use at home. You may need to
> call around to buy one, and will likely not find a commercial service shop
> to do install or repairs.

as
> much as the size of the hose. Just because you have a 3/4" hose, doesn't
> mean that you have enough PSI to operate to full potential. You;d need a
> plumber to verify this.

I would be more concerned about the range being a fire hazard. Make sure
you know the manufacturer's specs for placing the range. Placing a
commercial range in contact with cabinets or 1/2 sheetrock walls might
result in a fire. Let's say you have the 400 series range and light four
burners and the oven. The total BTU output would be 177,000 BUT's. My
furnace for a 2500 square foot house is only 60,000 BTUs and most of the
time only the first stage is burning, reducing the usual output to about
40,000 BUTs.

You can download manuals for Southbend ranges from their website. The
MINIMUM clearance for ranges built after 04/2001 is 10 inches on the sides
and back. That means you can't just slide the range into a 36 inch gap in
you cabinets.

http://www.southbendnc.com/manuals/4...-2_1182299.pdf

ESTRO Model 480 john howison Coffee 0 14-06-2007 06:15 PM
Aga 3 Oven model Chris Cooking Equipment 4 21-09-2006 09:46 PM
New WSM? Model 8482 kenkozak Barbecue 6 24-10-2005 01:59 AM
The East End Brewing model Tom Wolper Beer 8 04-02-2005 03:46 AM
Fruit maturing model Ben Rotter Winemaking 8 20-01-2004 05:38 PM