Default Pots and Pans - Stainless vs. Teflon

Hello all and thank you for your time.

I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
(thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
cook a lot of eggs.

So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
(I would like the whole set to be under $200)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sunshine

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all and thank you for your time.
>
> I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
> version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
> That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
> Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
> (thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
> cook a lot of eggs.
>
> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sunshine

One reason your pans did not last long is probably because they were a low
price brand and hence low quality. I have non-stick pans that are 13 years
old and still in excellent shape (Circulon). The fact is that good pans are
expensive, there's no getting around it. But look, you have already bought 2
sets of inexpensive pans and now have to replace them. What if you had taken
that money, plus the money you will be spending now, and bought a few top
quality pans? You'd have pans that are a joy to use and that will last for
many years if not decades. A $200 set may seem cheap but in the long run it
will cost more.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all and thank you for your time.
>
> I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
> version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
> That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
> Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
> (thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
> cook a lot of eggs.
>
> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sunshine

One reason your pans did not last long is probably because they were a low
price brand and hence low quality. I have non-stick pans that are 13 years
old and still in excellent shape (Circulon). The fact is that good pans are
expensive, there's no getting around it. But look, you have already bought 2
sets of inexpensive pans and now have to replace them. What if you had taken
that money, plus the money you will be spending now, and bought a few top
quality pans? You'd have pans that are a joy to use and that will last for
many years if not decades. A $200 set may seem cheap but in the long run it
will cost more.

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all and thank you for your time.
>
> I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
> version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
> That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
> Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
> (thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
> cook a lot of eggs.
>
> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>
> Any suggestions?

I have Wolfgang Puck cookware from HSN. It is SS and performs very well.
I've used it for about 5 years and have no regrets. You can get a starter
set for around $100 and then fill in with any specialty pieces you many need
from open stock. You can see the sets he http://tinyurl.com/6qatf
They usually have a wide variety of sets, but for some reason there are
really only two offered now: the starter set and a gigantic set for $300

I think you have learned the lesson of non-stick pans. Even very expensive
ones don't perform that well in the long run. I have a couple small omelet
pans that I use on rare occasions. I find that I don't need non-stick pans
for most cooking. In addition to the WP cookware, I have a large cast iron
skillet. It is nearly as non-stick as the coated pans.

You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are sticking.
I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello all and thank you for your time.
>
> I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
> version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
> That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
> Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
> (thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
> cook a lot of eggs.
>
> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>
> Any suggestions?

I have Wolfgang Puck cookware from HSN. It is SS and performs very well.
I've used it for about 5 years and have no regrets. You can get a starter
set for around $100 and then fill in with any specialty pieces you many need
from open stock. You can see the sets he http://tinyurl.com/6qatf
They usually have a wide variety of sets, but for some reason there are
really only two offered now: the starter set and a gigantic set for $300

I think you have learned the lesson of non-stick pans. Even very expensive
ones don't perform that well in the long run. I have a couple small omelet
pans that I use on rare occasions. I find that I don't need non-stick pans
for most cooking. In addition to the WP cookware, I have a large cast iron
skillet. It is nearly as non-stick as the coated pans.

You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are sticking.
I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

KLS

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:57:20 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
>> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
>> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
>> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>>

>One reason your pans did not last long is probably because they were a low
>price brand and hence low quality. I have non-stick pans that are 13 years
>old and still in excellent shape (Circulon). The fact is that good pans are
>expensive, there's no getting around it. But look, you have already bought 2
>sets of inexpensive pans and now have to replace them. What if you had taken
>that money, plus the money you will be spending now, and bought a few top
>quality pans? You'd have pans that are a joy to use and that will last for
>many years if not decades. A $200 set may seem cheap but in the long run it
>will cost more.

Yes, and you can find Circulon pans discounted significantly at places
like TJMaxx or Marshall's or Tuesday Morning clearance stores.
They'll be individual pans, not sets, so just buy a couple.
KLS

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:57:20 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
>> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
>> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
>> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>>

>One reason your pans did not last long is probably because they were a low
>price brand and hence low quality. I have non-stick pans that are 13 years
>old and still in excellent shape (Circulon). The fact is that good pans are
>expensive, there's no getting around it. But look, you have already bought 2
>sets of inexpensive pans and now have to replace them. What if you had taken
>that money, plus the money you will be spending now, and bought a few top
>quality pans? You'd have pans that are a joy to use and that will last for
>many years if not decades. A $200 set may seem cheap but in the long run it
>will cost more.

Yes, and you can find Circulon pans discounted significantly at places
like TJMaxx or Marshall's or Tuesday Morning clearance stores.
They'll be individual pans, not sets, so just buy a couple.
wff_ng_6

"Vox Humana" > wrote:
> You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are
> sticking.
> I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
> sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

I gave up the last of my nonstick cookware about a decade ago and haven't
looked back. Maybe I'm a lot more careful and attentive about my cooking,
but I rarely have a problem cleaning up a pan. I have a variety with
stainless, carbon steel, cast iron, or porcelain enamel interiors.

Sometimes I wonder why people seem to have this aversion to using fats (oil
or otherwise) in a pan, and then they drown a salad in dressing or slather
mayonnaise on a sandwich until it oozes out the sides. It doesn't take much
fat to prevent sticking, certainly less than the amount of fat that occurs
in foods otherwise.

On the common problem of eggs sticking in pans, I have the opposite problem
for some reason with omelets. I use the classic French carbon steel omelet
pan with butter. It is just too slippery. I've tried to get the omelet to
"roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

wff_ng_6

"Vox Humana" > wrote:
> You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are
> sticking.
> I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
> sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

I gave up the last of my nonstick cookware about a decade ago and haven't
looked back. Maybe I'm a lot more careful and attentive about my cooking,
but I rarely have a problem cleaning up a pan. I have a variety with
stainless, carbon steel, cast iron, or porcelain enamel interiors.

Sometimes I wonder why people seem to have this aversion to using fats (oil
or otherwise) in a pan, and then they drown a salad in dressing or slather
mayonnaise on a sandwich until it oozes out the sides. It doesn't take much
fat to prevent sticking, certainly less than the amount of fat that occurs
in foods otherwise.

On the common problem of eggs sticking in pans, I have the opposite problem
for some reason with omelets. I use the classic French carbon steel omelet
pan with butter. It is just too slippery. I've tried to get the omelet to
"roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

Vox Humana

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
> > You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are
> > sticking.
> > I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
> > sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

> I gave up the last of my nonstick cookware about a decade ago and haven't
> looked back. Maybe I'm a lot more careful and attentive about my cooking,
> but I rarely have a problem cleaning up a pan. I have a variety with
> stainless, carbon steel, cast iron, or porcelain enamel interiors.
>
> Sometimes I wonder why people seem to have this aversion to using fats

(oil
> or otherwise) in a pan, and then they drown a salad in dressing or slather
> mayonnaise on a sandwich until it oozes out the sides. It doesn't take

much
> fat to prevent sticking, certainly less than the amount of fat that occurs
> in foods otherwise.
>
> On the common problem of eggs sticking in pans, I have the opposite

problem
> for some reason with omelets. I use the classic French carbon steel omelet
> pan with butter. It is just too slippery. I've tried to get the omelet to
> "roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
> slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

I totally agree. I'm not adverse to using some oil, but for convenience, I
put vegetable oil in a small spray bottle. That allows me to quickly
distribute a controlled amount of oil over a large area - and it is very
inexpensive. My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out of
the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
people make crepes?

Vox Humana

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
> > You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are
> > sticking.
> > I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
> > sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

> I gave up the last of my nonstick cookware about a decade ago and haven't
> looked back. Maybe I'm a lot more careful and attentive about my cooking,
> but I rarely have a problem cleaning up a pan. I have a variety with
> stainless, carbon steel, cast iron, or porcelain enamel interiors.
>
> Sometimes I wonder why people seem to have this aversion to using fats

(oil
> or otherwise) in a pan, and then they drown a salad in dressing or slather
> mayonnaise on a sandwich until it oozes out the sides. It doesn't take

much
> fat to prevent sticking, certainly less than the amount of fat that occurs
> in foods otherwise.
>
> On the common problem of eggs sticking in pans, I have the opposite

problem
> for some reason with omelets. I use the classic French carbon steel omelet
> pan with butter. It is just too slippery. I've tried to get the omelet to
> "roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
> slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

I totally agree. I'm not adverse to using some oil, but for convenience, I
put vegetable oil in a small spray bottle. That allows me to quickly
distribute a controlled amount of oil over a large area - and it is very
inexpensive. My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out of
the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
people make crepes?

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hello all and thank you for your time.
>>
>> I know this has been discussed before but I needed a dumbed down
>> version. My husband and I are very novice when it comes to cooking.
>> That said, we have gone through our second set of teflon pots and pans.
>> Noodles are sticking the the large pot and the pans have scratches
>> (thanks to hubby using metal forks!). We saute a lot with our pans and
>> cook a lot of eggs.
>>
>> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
>> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
>> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
>> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I have Wolfgang Puck cookware from HSN. It is SS and performs very well.
> I've used it for about 5 years and have no regrets. You can get a starter
> set for around $100 and then fill in with any specialty pieces you many
> need
> from open stock. You can see the sets he http://tinyurl.com/6qatf
> They usually have a wide variety of sets, but for some reason there are
> really only two offered now: the starter set and a gigantic set for $300
>
> I think you have learned the lesson of non-stick pans. Even very
> expensive
> ones don't perform that well in the long run. I have a couple small
> omelet
> pans that I use on rare occasions. I find that I don't need non-stick
> pans
> for most cooking. In addition to the WP cookware, I have a large cast
> iron
> skillet. It is nearly as non-stick as the coated pans.
>
> You might consider modifying your technique if you find things are
> sticking.
> I heat the pan and then add some oil. I never have problems with food
> sticking and the pans clean-up very easily.

Re Wolfgang Puck, I saw a complete set of pans of his brand at BJ's
yesterday; I believe they were under $200 -- perhaps somewhere between $139
& $200; I can't remember, except I picked up one or two pans.

Re Circulon - I bought perhaps 4 circulon, but don't use any of them now
except one little frypan which I put a lot of oil in to saute garlic. I
must've cooked food at too high a heat and all of the food stuck and burned
into the rings of the pan. Some will say it's my fault in my method of
cooking -- that may be true -- that's for others to decide without seeing my
method of cooking. But at any rate, I've been cooking with non-stick for
about 2 years now of a set of Kirkland-Professional $200 for a set of 10,
and have liked it, but I think I will eventually go back to stainless steel;
but a good set; there is a set now at Costco -- very heavy which I like --
around $200 also. It has a little copper ring on the outside of the pans.
Some of the pans are a little curvy and I'm not sure about whether I could
live with the design.
I looked at All-Clad yesterday, too, while I was shopping, and never had
looked seriously at it before; all the prices marked down quite a lot. But
I think might be what the do to sell it? - I don't know. But, I will pass
on All-Clad, too.
Good luck,
Dee
Dee

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

into the rings of the pan. Some will say it's my fault in my method of
cooking -- that may be true -- that's for others to decide without seeing my
method of cooking. But at any rate, I've been cooking with non-stick for
about 2 years now of a set of Kirkland-Professional $200 for a set of 10,
and have liked it, but I think I will eventually go back to stainless steel;
but a good set; there is a set now at Costco -- very heavy which I like --
around $200 also. It has a little copper ring on the outside of the pans.
Some of the pans are a little curvy and I'm not sure about whether I could
live with the design.
I looked at All-Clad yesterday, too, while I was shopping, and never had
looked seriously at it before; all the prices marked down quite a lot. But
I think might be what the do to sell it? - I don't know. But, I will pass

wff_ng_6

"Vox Humana" > wrote:
> I totally agree. I'm not adverse to using some oil, but for convenience,
> put vegetable oil in a small spray bottle. That allows me to quickly
> distribute a controlled amount of oil over a large area - and it is very
> inexpensive. My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out
> of
> the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
> people make crepes?

Not very often... that reminds me, I should make them again soon. But my
crepe pans are also of the carbon steel type. I'm too impatient to get the
whole batch of them all cooked, so I use two pans at the same time,
alternating from one to the other as I go.

Speaking of little ideas for convenience, I keep two small squeeze bottles,
one of a cornstarch and water mixture, the other of lemon juice. When I'm
making a pan sauce, the amount of liquid never corresponds to what any
recipe would say. I just squeeze a little cornstarch/water mix in at a time
until I've got the right consistency. Same with the lemon juice, just
squeeze a little in until it has exactly the right tang I'm looking for.

wff_ng_6

"Vox Humana" > wrote:
> I totally agree. I'm not adverse to using some oil, but for convenience,
> put vegetable oil in a small spray bottle. That allows me to quickly
> distribute a controlled amount of oil over a large area - and it is very
> inexpensive. My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out
> of
> the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
> people make crepes?

Not very often... that reminds me, I should make them again soon. But my
crepe pans are also of the carbon steel type. I'm too impatient to get the
whole batch of them all cooked, so I use two pans at the same time,
alternating from one to the other as I go.

Speaking of little ideas for convenience, I keep two small squeeze bottles,
one of a cornstarch and water mixture, the other of lemon juice. When I'm
making a pan sauce, the amount of liquid never corresponds to what any
recipe would say. I just squeeze a little cornstarch/water mix in at a time
until I've got the right consistency. Same with the lemon juice, just
squeeze a little in until it has exactly the right tang I'm looking for.

Kenneth

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:58:10 GMT, "wff_ng_6"
> wrote:

>I've tried to get the omelet to
>"roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
>slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

Howdy,

Try this:

Touch the edge of the pan to the plate as the omelet starts
to slide out. Let the egg touch the plate. Then, lift the
handle of the pan (much easier if you hold the handle palm
up.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:58:10 GMT, "wff_ng_6"
> wrote:

>I've tried to get the omelet to
>"roll up" by shaking the pan in the proscribed manner... it just wants to
>slide right out of the pan! ;-) Not enough stickyness, I would think.

Howdy,

Try this:

Touch the edge of the pan to the plate as the omelet starts
to slide out. Let the egg touch the plate. Then, lift the
handle of the pan (much easier if you hold the handle palm
up.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Steve Calvin

wrote:

>>Well, I tried to reply earlier in the day from a different server but
>>that post must have gone into the bit bucket somewhere. If this is a
>>duplicate on your server please overlook it.
>>
>>I'm very happy with the Stainless 500 line from qvc.com It's non-stick,
>>safe in the oven to 500dF, very easy clean-up, guarenteed for life and a
>>starter 10 piece set goes for around $100. The only drawback is it's
>>weight which comes from the thick base but that also gives it very good
>>heat distibution.
>>
>>I see that I'm in the minority here on my opionion but <shrug> oh well.

> ;-)
>
> I agree with you, so we are a minority of two. I suspect that the HSN
> cookware and QVC cookware are nearly identical.

You're probably right. I've never checked into what HSN handles.

--
Steve
Steve Calvin

wrote:

>>Well, I tried to reply earlier in the day from a different server but
>>that post must have gone into the bit bucket somewhere. If this is a
>>duplicate on your server please overlook it.
>>
>>I'm very happy with the Stainless 500 line from qvc.com It's non-stick,
>>safe in the oven to 500dF, very easy clean-up, guarenteed for life and a
>>starter 10 piece set goes for around $100. The only drawback is it's
>>weight which comes from the thick base but that also gives it very good
>>heat distibution.
>>
>>I see that I'm in the minority here on my opionion but <shrug> oh well.

> ;-)
>
> I agree with you, so we are a minority of two. I suspect that the HSN
> cookware and QVC cookware are nearly identical.

You're probably right. I've never checked into what HSN handles.

--
Steve
pltrgyst

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:16:48 GMT, "Vox Humana" > wrote:

>.... My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out of
>the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
>people make crepes?

Some of us have Tibos or more expensive commercial crepe makers and make crepes
about once a week... 8

I'd have crepes with jam for breakfast every day i I could.

-- Larry

pltrgyst

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 16:16:48 GMT, "Vox Humana" > wrote:

>.... My expensive, tri-ply non-stick pans almost never come out of
>the cabinet. I might use them for crepes, but honestly, how often do most
>people make crepes?

Some of us have Tibos or more expensive commercial crepe makers and make crepes
about once a week... 8

I'd have crepes with jam for breakfast every day i I could.

-- Larry

Vox Humana

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote in news:1112794578.767247.178590
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> > know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper.

> But you don't really need a set. What you need are 3 or 4 basic pieces.
> Two or three stock pots (small, medium, and large) and a good flat
> skillet/sauce pan/frying pan/flat wok will be a great start, and you
> don't have to buy them all at the same time. You have pots now, right? So
> start off by replacing the worst or most used one, and fil in as needed.
> Also, your old pots are still usable, so they can be used for backups or
> when you need to feed big crowds.
>
> And in the long run, you're better off buying a few expensive pieces that
> last for 20 years than you are buying cheap stuff that has to be replaced
> every couple of years and doesn't cook well.

I know everyone says you don't need a set or cookware, and they offer many
logical reasons not to buy one. Here are two points that I will add to that
conversation. First of all there is no rigid definition of "set" in
relationship to cookware. The basic set of WP cookware is exactly what you
describe, a few basic pieces. They are things that anyone would use. Then
there is the gigantic set that includes all sorts of special items that
would get very little use in most kitchens. So a set can be a few
utilitarian pieces or a bunch of nearly useless crap.

The second point is that you can often get a set of cookware for a
substantially reduced price over buying from open stock. I got a 16 piece
set of cookware for $145. If I bought just the few pieces that I would
definitely use on a daily bases from open stock, it would have cost more.
That seems like a no-brainer. I have a couple covered casseroles that I
probably only use one a week and could live without. However, there were
essentially free and I am no worse off for having them. I could have used
them as a gift and still be ahead financially. Sometimes getting a set of
cookware if the thrifty thing to do.

Vox Humana

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote in news:1112794578.767247.178590
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> > know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper.

> But you don't really need a set. What you need are 3 or 4 basic pieces.
> Two or three stock pots (small, medium, and large) and a good flat
> skillet/sauce pan/frying pan/flat wok will be a great start, and you
> don't have to buy them all at the same time. You have pots now, right? So
> start off by replacing the worst or most used one, and fil in as needed.
> Also, your old pots are still usable, so they can be used for backups or
> when you need to feed big crowds.
>
> And in the long run, you're better off buying a few expensive pieces that
> last for 20 years than you are buying cheap stuff that has to be replaced
> every couple of years and doesn't cook well.

I know everyone says you don't need a set or cookware, and they offer many
logical reasons not to buy one. Here are two points that I will add to that
conversation. First of all there is no rigid definition of "set" in
relationship to cookware. The basic set of WP cookware is exactly what you
describe, a few basic pieces. They are things that anyone would use. Then
there is the gigantic set that includes all sorts of special items that
would get very little use in most kitchens. So a set can be a few
utilitarian pieces or a bunch of nearly useless crap.

The second point is that you can often get a set of cookware for a
substantially reduced price over buying from open stock. I got a 16 piece
set of cookware for $145. If I bought just the few pieces that I would
definitely use on a daily bases from open stock, it would have cost more.
That seems like a no-brainer. I have a couple covered casseroles that I
probably only use one a week and could live without. However, there were
essentially free and I am no worse off for having them. I could have used
them as a gift and still be ahead financially. Sometimes getting a set of
cookware if the thrifty thing to do.

Vox Humana

"Barry Bean" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote in news:1112794578.767247.178590
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> > know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper.

> But you don't really need a set. What you need are 3 or 4 basic pieces.
> Two or three stock pots (small, medium, and large) and a good flat
> skillet/sauce pan/frying pan/flat wok will be a great start, and you
> don't have to buy them all at the same time. You have pots now, right? So
> start off by replacing the worst or most used one, and fil in as needed.
> Also, your old pots are still usable, so they can be used for backups or
> when you need to feed big crowds.
>
> And in the long run, you're better off buying a few expensive pieces that
> last for 20 years than you are buying cheap stuff that has to be replaced
> every couple of years and doesn't cook well.

I know everyone says you don't need a set or cookware, and they offer many
logical reasons not to buy one. Here are two points that I will add to that
conversation. First of all there is no rigid definition of "set" in
relationship to cookware. The basic set of WP cookware is exactly what you
describe, a few basic pieces. They are things that anyone would use. Then
there is the gigantic set that includes all sorts of special items that
would get very little use in most kitchens. So a set can be a few
utilitarian pieces or a bunch of nearly useless crap.

The second point is that you can often get a set of cookware for a
substantially reduced price over buying from open stock. I got a 16 piece
set of cookware for $145. If I bought just the few pieces that I would
definitely use on a daily bases from open stock, it would have cost more.
That seems like a no-brainer. I have a couple covered casseroles that I
probably only use one a week and could live without. However, there were
essentially free and I am no worse off for having them. I could have used
them as a gift and still be ahead financially. Sometimes getting a set of
cookware if the thrifty thing to do.

Ida Slapter

On 7 Apr 2005 16:43:16 GMT, Barry Bean > wrote:

>But you don't really need a set. What you need are 3 or 4 basic pieces.
>Two or three stock pots (small, medium, and large) and a good flat
>skillet/sauce pan/frying pan/flat wok will be a great start, and you
>don't have to buy them all at the same time. You have pots now, right? So
>start off by replacing the worst or most used one, and fil in as needed.
>Also, your old pots are still usable, so they can be used for backups or
>when you need to feed big crowds.

So true....no one offers a "set" that has the perfect pot or pan for
the job to be done. This is from Fine Cooking...very informative

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

Worth the read.

Ida Slapter

On 7 Apr 2005 16:43:16 GMT, Barry Bean > wrote:

>But you don't really need a set. What you need are 3 or 4 basic pieces.
>Two or three stock pots (small, medium, and large) and a good flat
>skillet/sauce pan/frying pan/flat wok will be a great start, and you
>don't have to buy them all at the same time. You have pots now, right? So
>start off by replacing the worst or most used one, and fil in as needed.
>Also, your old pots are still usable, so they can be used for backups or
>when you need to feed big crowds.

So true....no one offers a "set" that has the perfect pot or pan for
the job to be done. This is from Fine Cooking...very informative

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

Worth the read.

Well, sunshineval, if you're looking for easy to use not-too-expensive
quality cookware, Circulon is a good company to trust. I've got two of
their pans and I used them whenever I could. Unfortunately, as Dee
Randall found out, if you cook the food a little bit too long at too
high heat, you'll wreck the bottom of the pan. But if you're careful
not to do that or use metal utensiles you'll have a good set of pans
that will last a while.
Now the downside, of which I only recently became aware. There is a
lot of dispute about the possible harm caused by teflon use and
manufacture. Read the manufaturer's label before you buy it. If you
are concerned about your health and that of your family (especially if
you own expensive parrots...not kidding!), it might behoove you to do
some research about teflon first. I have switched to stainless and I
have never been happier.
But first about the teflon...The biggest drawback in teflon is that if
you scratch it and then follow the manufacturer's instructions (in tiny
print) you should throw the pan away. This is because the aluminum
that is under the teflon is under serious consideration as a major
contributer to Alzheimer's Disease. Do an internet search for the
connection between aluminum and AD and you'll see what I'm talking
about. Secondly, there is a lot of debate about the connection between
cooking with teflon and people's pet birds dropping dead in the
kitchen. There are many sites you can go to where you will see
warnings against using teflon pans if you own a parrot, for instance (
http://www.exoticaquatics.net/birdpage.html -read the warnings at the
bottom of the page). I figure that if it's killing birds, it can't be
too healthy for people. Coal miners used to use canaries to warn them
if the air was becoming poisonous in the same way.
With stainless steel, you'll never have either of these two problems.
You can use any cooking utensile you want. You will probably never
have to replace them.
The best solution to this question that I found is the Saladmaster
stuff. I've been cooking with them for a while now and I must say that
I feel that they are worth the investment. If not just because they
come with a lifetime warranty. That means that if you ever damage them
you can send for a brand new one (therefore never needing to buy
another one again). I was very skeptical about stainless cookware
because I loathe washing dishes. But because with the Saladmaster pots
you cook at a much lower temp. your food does not stick to the pan
(sometimes you need to use a little Pam spray or something similar). I
find these pans to be easy to clean and tough to damage. I was always
treating my Circulon pans as though they were made of fine crystal so
they wouldn't get damaged. But I will warn you (in case you don't
know) Saladmaster is really expensive. You can get them cheaper on
eBay or you can agree to a payment plan to stretch the payments out
(like I did). You wouldn't be sorry if you did go for it, I promise.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...

...The biggest drawback in teflon is that if
> you scratch it and then follow the manufacturer's instructions (in tiny
> print) you should throw the pan away. This is because the aluminum
> that is under the teflon is under serious consideration as a major
> contributer to Alzheimer's Disease. Do an internet search for the
> connection between aluminum and AD and you'll see what I'm talking
> about.

Gee, what do you make of all the articles that completely debunk the
aluminum-Alzheimer's connection?

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
> But first about the teflon...The biggest drawback in teflon is that if
> you scratch it and then follow the manufacturer's instructions (in tiny
> print) you should throw the pan away. This is because the aluminum
> that is under the teflon is under serious consideration as a major
> contributer to Alzheimer's Disease. Do an internet search for the
> connection between aluminum and AD and you'll see what I'm talking
> about.

You are talking nonsense. This had been debunked over and over. Read, as
you suggested, and update yourself.

Secondly, there is a lot of debate about the connection between
> cooking with teflon and people's pet birds dropping dead in the
> kitchen. There are many sites you can go to where you will see
> warnings against using teflon pans if you own a parrot, for instance (
> http://www.exoticaquatics.net/birdpage.html -read the warnings at the
> bottom of the page). I figure that if it's killing birds, it can't be
> too healthy for people. Coal miners used to use canaries to warn them
> if the air was becoming poisonous in the same way.

There is some truth to this under certain circumstances. Overheating a pan
can cause problems for birds. Ov eheating a non-teflon pan with oil or food
in it can case problems also.

> But because with the Saladmaster pots
> you cook at a much lower temp. your food does not stick to the pan
> (sometimes you need to use a little Pam spray or something similar). I
> find these pans to be easy to clean and tough to damage.

You can do lth is with any good SS pot or pan. IMO, Saladmaster is
overpriced, but if your happy, I'm happy.

Peter Aitken

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> But first about the teflon...The biggest drawback in teflon is that if
>> you scratch it and then follow the manufacturer's instructions (in tiny
>> print) you should throw the pan away. This is because the aluminum
>> that is under the teflon is under serious consideration as a major
>> contributer to Alzheimer's Disease. Do an internet search for the
>> connection between aluminum and AD and you'll see what I'm talking
>> about.

> You are talking nonsense. This had been debunked over and over. Read, as
> you suggested, and update yourself.
>

> Secondly, there is a lot of debate about the connection between
>> cooking with teflon and people's pet birds dropping dead in the
>> kitchen. There are many sites you can go to where you will see
>> warnings against using teflon pans if you own a parrot, for instance (
>> http://www.exoticaquatics.net/birdpage.html -read the warnings at the
>> bottom of the page). I figure that if it's killing birds, it can't be
>> too healthy for people. Coal miners used to use canaries to warn them
>> if the air was becoming poisonous in the same way.

> There is some truth to this under certain circumstances. Overheating a
> pan can cause problems for birds. Ov eheating a non-teflon pan with oil
> or food in it can case problems also.

So therefore birdbrains beware.

--
Peter Aitken

Leonard Lehew

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd get stainless. Stainless is
much more versatile and durable. I only use non-stick cookware if
there is a specific reason to do so. There are some preparations that
are a bit easier with non-stick, but it is never an absolute
requirement.

Non-stick coating are subject to damage from metal utensils and will
not stand up will to the high heat required for some cooking methods.

There are lots of reasonably priced lines of stainless cookware.
Ideally, the pots should have a thin stainless lining inside a thick
layer of a more highly conductive metal like aluminum. In the price
range you mentioned, you may be limited to a stainless pan with a
copper or aluminum "sandwich" on the bottom of the pan. This works
reasonably well. Cuisinart makes some high-quality, reasonably priced
cookware of this type of construction.

Looks for pots and pans with metal handles, as these can be place in
the oven.
O'Reilly

I agree - very versatile and even the worse burnt on crude eventually comes
off with a bit of elbow grease. With proper care, they'll last forever.
However, I would still have a teflon skillet or two for when you really need
a non-stick utensil.

"Leonard Lehew" > wrote in message
> If I had to choose one over the other, I'd get stainless.

Kenneth Almquist

Sunshine wrote:
> So here's the question. I want to buy a new set of pots and pans. I
> know some don't like sets but for me they are easier and cheaper. What
> should I get, teflon or stainless steel? What brands should I look for
> (I would like the whole set to be under $200)?

As others have already said, go with the stainless steel. I can't
suggest specific brands--I haven't bought any pots recently--but here
are the basics of what you want to look for.

Steel is a poor conductor of heat, so you don't want pots made of
nothing but steel. Look for pots with aluminum disks in the base.
The aluminum will distribute the heat so that the bottom of the pot
will be evenly heated. That is the least expensive pot design that
works reasonably well.

Some pots use copper rather than aluminum. Copper is a better heat
conductor than aluminum, but aluminum is less expensive than copper,
so the best choice for a modest budget is aluminum. Pots using
aluminum are heavier than pots using copper since more metal is
required.

Some pots have heat conducting metal (aluminum or copper) in the
sides of the pot as well as the bottom. This increases the cost
of manufaturing the pots considerably beyond the price range you
are considering, and the benefits are modest.

The most likely part of a pot to fail is the handle, so look at the
handles to make sure that they appear sturdy. Stainless steel handles
are a good bet, but they can get hot (depending on the design). If
you don't mind using pot holders, I'd go with stainless steel handles.

Depending on how the pots are manufatured, they may have circular
grooves around the inside of the pot. These are harmless if they
are reasonably fine; if they are coarse they may tend to catch sand
and grit when you rinse out the pot. Not a big deal, but something
to look for.

One thing you do not want are the classic Revereware pots. These
are stainless steel with copper on the bottom. These would be good
pots of they contained enough copper to distribute the heat well,
but they don't. I mention this because at one time Revereware was
considered a top brand. Apparently they used to include enough copper
in their pots, but then decided to save money by reducing the amount
of copper, counting on consumers to buy based on reputation. As far
as I know, all of the the other manufaturers of cookware are reputable.
Kenneth Almquist
Kenneth Almquist