wacomancer

Default Ceramic stove covers for Pyrex Glass Coffee Pot?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I purchased my father an old Pyrex glass percolator type coffee pot for
Christmas. He has a gas stove, and claims a ceramic stove cover is
needed, as the flames will be too hot for the coffee pot, and it will
break.

Has anyone else heard of this? If so, do you know where I can get one?

I appreciate anyone's help on this.

Gary S.

Edwin Pawlowski

"wacomancer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
>
> I purchased my father an old Pyrex glass percolator type coffee pot for
> Christmas. He has a gas stove, and claims a ceramic stove cover is
> needed, as the flames will be too hot for the coffee pot, and it will
> break.
>
> Has anyone else heard of this? If so, do you know where I can get one?
>
> I appreciate anyone's help on this.

Just use it as is. Pyrex can be made flame proof. I know of at least two
people that have been using the same Pyrex perc on a gas range for over 25
years now.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 06 Feb 2005 08:00:04a, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> "wacomancer" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
>>
>> I purchased my father an old Pyrex glass percolator type coffee pot for
>> Christmas. He has a gas stove, and claims a ceramic stove cover is
>> needed, as the flames will be too hot for the coffee pot, and it will
>> break.
>>
>> Has anyone else heard of this? If so, do you know where I can get one?
>>
>> I appreciate anyone's help on this.

> Just use it as is. Pyrex can be made flame proof. I know of at least two
> people that have been using the same Pyrex perc on a gas range for over 25
> years now.

Right. It's on electric ranges that you need some separation between the
glass pot and the heating element. It's usually a wire grid.

Wayne