Old 17-10-2009, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Glass Cookware on Smooth Glass Ceramic Cooktops

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
Any idea if glass cookware meant for use on gas burners or electric coil
burners with protective wire "trivet" can be used directly on smooth glass
ceramic cooktops?

I'm specifically thinking of Pyrex double boilers, glass vacuum coffee
pots,
etc. I wouldn't consider glass bakeware in this category.

I have a couple of Pyrex double boilers and saucepans, and a collectioin
of
glass vacuum coffee pots that I'd very much like to use on my smooth top
range, but I'm a little afraid to try them.

TIA

-- Wayne Boatwright

Regarding Visionware http://www.millscentral.com/visionware1liter.jpg

I have used these on hobs and coils and on my glass cooktop.
I'm wondering if glass on cooktops do not have a tendency to scratch more
than metal pans used on glasstops. Why would that be? I don't know.

At any rate, I don't use the Visionware any longer. I did save them for use
in the microwave, but as I no longer use the microwave, they have been put
waaaaaaaay back on the shelves.

I did use the Visionware without anything between the heat and the pan on
the glass cooktop.

Dee Dee

Old 18-10-2009, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:02:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Most heat resistant glass will explode if placed on an open coil electric
burner. I'm theorizing that since the glass range top is a barrier to the
heating coil that it won't pose a problem. I hope I'm right. :-)

I used Visionware (specifically, the 2-1/2 qt. saucepan) on open coil and solid
surface electrics for over 15 years, and never had a problem.

But the manuals for both generations of my GE glass cooktops advised:

"Glass-ceramic: Usable, but not recommended. Poor performance. May scratch
surface."

so I gave the Visionware away.

-- Larry