Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Glass Cookware on Smooth Glass Ceramic Cooktops

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> Any idea if glass cookware meant for use on gas burners or electric coil
> burners with protective wire "trivet" can be used directly on smooth glass
> ceramic cooktops?
>
> I'm specifically thinking of Pyrex double boilers, glass vacuum coffee
> pots,
> etc. I wouldn't consider glass bakeware in this category.
>
> I have a couple of Pyrex double boilers and saucepans, and a collectioin
> of
> glass vacuum coffee pots that I'd very much like to use on my smooth top
> range, but I'm a little afraid to try them.
>
> TIA
>
> -- Wayne Boatwright

Regarding Visionware http://www.millscentral.com/visionware1liter.jpg

I have used these on hobs and coils and on my glass cooktop.
I'm wondering if glass on cooktops do not have a tendency to scratch more
than metal pans used on glasstops. Why would that be? I don't know.

At any rate, I don't use the Visionware any longer. I did save them for use
in the microwave, but as I no longer use the microwave, they have been put
waaaaaaaay back on the shelves.

I did use the Visionware without anything between the heat and the pan on
the glass cooktop.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 08:02:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Most heat resistant glass will explode if placed on an open coil electric
>burner. I'm theorizing that since the glass range top is a barrier to the
>heating coil that it won't pose a problem. I hope I'm right. :-)

I used Visionware (specifically, the 2-1/2 qt. saucepan) on open coil and solid
surface electrics for over 15 years, and never had a problem.

But the manuals for both generations of my GE glass cooktops advised:

"Glass-ceramic: Usable, but not recommended. Poor performance. May scratch
surface."

so I gave the Visionware away.

-- Larry