Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Non Stick Wok or Not

In article >, Drew Cutter >
wrote:

> Peter this is my understanding also. I did find a seasoned wok on Amazon.

With no link to go on, I had to look for those myself. I found two.
One was a seasoned cast iron with a non-stick surface. AVOID! AVOID!
The other was a Joyce Chen with a flat bottom. Look at any chinese
restaurant and they all have round bottoms with rings. This is far
better. No corners to get bits stuck in, you and roll a wok to one side
or another to zone heat, a wok cooking technique when certain items are
added, and need searing before stirring in with the rest of the food.

And as to preseasoning, a waste of money up front. It only takes a few
seconds to season a wok with a paper towel and a bit of veggie oil, and
you usually need to get a wok that hot when you start cooking anyway.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

try he

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstevebonlie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:35:22 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>.... I found two.
>One was a seasoned cast iron with a non-stick surface....

Which was it? I've never heard of cast iron with a non-stick surface, other than
the non-stock qualities it develops when properly seasoned.

>...Look at any chinese restaurant and they all have round bottoms with rings. This is far
>better.

Only if you have gas burners.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
pltrgyst > wrote:

> >.... I found two.
> >One was a seasoned cast iron with a non-stick surface....

> Which was it? I've never heard of cast iron with a non-stick surface, other
> than
> the non-stock qualities it develops when properly seasoned.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seasoned-F...000K9JQQA/ref=
sr_1_13/102-0703907-2864122?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1181950031&sr=8-13

Pre-Seasoned Flat Bottom Wok by Fox Run

Product Description:
This generous sized wok is made of dependable, properly seasoned cast
iron which allows for heat retention, even heat distribution and a
scratch proof *non-stick surface* that can withstand the high
temperatures needed for stir frying. It features a stay cool handle and
built-in helper handle. The cooking surface is suitable for cooking
temperatures of 536 degrees F/280 degrees C. Dishwasher use is not
recommended as this will damage the pre-seasoned surface.

> >...Look at any chinese restaurant and they all have round bottoms with
> >rings. This is far
> >better.

> Only if you have gas burners.

Back in the 90's, I was still in my old apartment, and we had electric
burners, coil type. It took a little longer to heat up, but it did the
job for my wok. I now have natural gas, and I am ever so happy.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:46:11 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Seasoned-F...000K9JQQA/ref=
>sr_1_13/102-0703907-2864122?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1181950031&sr=8-13
>
>Pre-Seasoned Flat Bottom Wok by Fox Run
>
>Product Description:
>This generous sized wok is made of dependable, properly seasoned cast
>iron which allows for heat retention, even heat distribution and a
>scratch proof *non-stick surface* that can withstand the high
>temperatures needed for stir frying. It features a stay cool handle and
>built-in helper handle. The cooking surface is suitable for cooking
>temperatures of 536 degrees F/280 degrees C. Dishwasher use is not
>recommended as this will damage the pre-seasoned surface.

I think they're taking great liberties with their "non-stick" surface, as Le
Creuset does with some of their grills, skillets, and woks. Note the use of the
term "pre-seasoned."

It's sort of like using the term "water-resistant."

-- Larry

Non-stick wok Rog General Cooking 5 06-02-2012 06:27 PM
Non Stick Wok or Not Edwin Pawlowski Cooking Equipment 0 16-06-2007 04:35 AM
Non Stick Wok or Not BOB[_8_] Cooking Equipment 1 16-06-2007 01:53 AM
Non stick pan Terry[_1_] General Cooking 18 05-03-2007 09:58 PM
Calphalon Pro non-stick ii vs commercial non-stick? Bill Cooking Equipment 7 19-11-2003 09:34 PM