Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Home meat slicer recommendation?

I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that
they love? Which one and why?

Any to stay away from? Again, why?

I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs
Choice. It won't be heavily used but I want to have good
control of thickness and to get a good uniform cut.

Meats mainly.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love?
> Which one and why?
>
> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>
> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and
> to get a good uniform cut.
>
> Meats mainly.
>
> --
> Steve

My advice is to look at how you would clean it after slicing a bunch of
greasy meat.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Del Cecchi wrote:

> My advice is to look at how you would clean it after slicing a bunch of
> greasy meat.

Thanks a-hole, very helpful. Don't like meat? Don't freekin'
eat it and just be quiet about it. Jeasus....
--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>>> My advice is to look at how you would clean it after slicing a bunch of
>>> greasy meat.
>>>

>> Thanks a-hole, very helpful. Don't like meat? Don't freekin'
>> eat it and just be quiet about it. Jeasus....

> I didn't take it that way at all. He's right: check on how easy it is
> to clean.

I've had one, it broke. I'm familiar with them. I asked for
advice on the units themselves, not how to clean them.
Anyone with a couple of brains should be able to decipher
that...

If someone asked how to change the oil in a car would you
tell them to think about getting dirty and how to clean up?
Big help....

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:15:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>If someone asked how to change the oil in a car would you
>tell them to think about getting dirty and how to clean up?
>Big help....

No, but you might advise them to consider how easy it is to change the
filter without spilling oil all over the exhaust manifold, for
example.

I'd say the comment on cleaning was well-intentioned, and not worthy
of your vitriol.

I have a Chef's Choice, but I won't even consider telling you what I
think of it. You don't deserve any help.

Oh, in case I forgot to mention it: global {plonk}.

-- Larry (expletives deleted...)

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 21:15:55 -0500, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
>> If someone asked how to change the oil in a car would you
>> tell them to think about getting dirty and how to clean up?
>> Big help....

> No, but you might advise them to consider how easy it is to change the
> filter without spilling oil all over the exhaust manifold, for
> example.
>
> I'd say the comment on cleaning was well-intentioned, and not worthy
> of your vitriol.
>
> I have a Chef's Choice, but I won't even consider telling you what I
> think of it. You don't deserve any help.
>
> Oh, in case I forgot to mention it: global {plonk}.
>
> -- Larry (expletives deleted...)

Fine. If you'd been around this group for any length of time
you would have noticed that I give help to any that I can
without going off on tangents. I still say the cleaning
thing was stupid. I obviously KNOW I have to clean it. DUH!
It's like saying, "I want a new home entertainment center"
and someone coming back and saying something intelligent
such as "be careful with those, you can hurt your hearing".
See the relevance issue? I doubt it.

I'm sure that some of the people who have been here a while,
or who can read and comprehend, will answer with some
reasonable objective opinions. Yours? I don't need and
wouldn't even consider so, stuff it.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:35:06 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>> Fine. If you'd been around this group for any length of time
>> you would have noticed that I give help to any that I can
>> without going off on tangents.

I've been reading this group since the week it began, along with
numerous other groups since the prehistoric time before formal USEnet
began.

Tangents are what make USEnet interesting and worthwhile.

Geez, Shag, you had to quote the guy... 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

To "Shagnasty" (hm... fairly fitting) and plrgyst (nice
name): (Mine's real by the way)

I've been around usenet for years. It's typical of "old
times" to actually answer the question that has been posed.

But you can both go **** off in my filters and I'll go back
to seeing the people here who are actually HELPFUL!

Not that you really care, but after some additional
research, I found a supplier who has the idler gear that I
broke for my slicer. Which BTW, will go into the dishwasher.
Obviously not the motor, but I'd better explain that to you
two idiots.

Does the acronym (assuming you know what an acronym IS) FOAD
mean anything to you two bozos?

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>
>> My advice is to look at how you would clean it after slicing a bunch
>> of greasy meat.

> Thanks a-hole, very helpful. Don't like meat? Don't freekin' eat it and
> just be quiet about it. Jeasus....
> --
> Steve

Calm down. I have one and that is a problem for me. Slice a nice pork
butt off the WSM and there are shreds of pork and stuff all over it. And
it doesn't look like something I should dunk in a sink of soapy water.

Are you always so hostile to perfectly objective suggestions? Perhaps
some anger management....
At the very least if you had read other posts I have made you would have
seen no trace of militant veganism nor of telling other folks how to
live.

del cecchi

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love? Which
> one and why?
>
> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>
> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and to
> get a good uniform cut.
>
> Meats mainly.
>
> --
> Steve

Hi, Steve - it's good to be able to give you some helpful information,
rather than you always helping me!

We have a Rival and love it. I never use it, since DH doesn't trust me;
however, I just quizzed him about it.

1. It's all metal - no plastic parts at all. Since ours is several years
old, it would pay to check that this still holds good.

2. The slices can be closely controlled. He can slice down to about 1/32"
uniform slices, with maximum thickness, he says, anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4".
He has done that with boneless ribeye.

3. Henry cleans it - says it's not all that bad once you're used to it.

HTH

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:39:17 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>
>> Fine. If you'd been around this group for any length of time
>> you would have noticed that I give help to any that I can
>> without going off on tangents. I still say the cleaning
>> thing was stupid. I obviously KNOW I have to clean it. DUH!

>You "obviously" know how to clean it?
>
>How would ANYONE infer that from what you wrote?
>
>Let's take a look at that again, shall we? You wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that
>> they love? Which one and why?
>>
>> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>>
>> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs
>> Choice. It won't be heavily used but I want to have good
>> control of thickness and to get a good uniform cut.

>Yeah. OH yeah. ANYONE could tell that you're INTIMATELY familiar
>already with ALL SORTS of things surrounding meat slicers, including
>cleaning. Let's see, the words "I know how to clean them" are
>plainly...let's see....hmmmm, let's quote you again, I can't find them:
>
>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that
>> they love? Which one and why?
>>
>> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>>
>> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs
>> Choice. It won't be heavily used but I want to have good
>> control of thickness and to get a good uniform cut.

>clean....I know how to clean them.....hmmmm, still can't find that
>information from what you posted, or anything that even remotely
>indicates that you've EVER HAD A MEAT SLICER.
>
>That's right. "I'm looking for a home meat slicer. Anyone have one
>that they love? Which one and why?" are the words of someone who is
>looking for all sorts of information, including "be sure you investigate
>how easy it is to clean".
>
>There we are, offering helpful hints to someone who plainly, from his
>own words (as anyone with a couple of brain cells could tell), doesn't
>know anything about meat slicers.
>
>But then you berate the world for making such an inference from your
>post.
>
>You are a ****ing asshole. Go crawl back into your hole, and stay
>there. Don't bother coming back out.

Elmo, are you married? If not, will you marry me? You flamed this
idiot far better than I ever could have, so I'd like to make this
relationship as permanent as possible. If I can't, please send
all my best regards to your wife, who obviously made an outstanding
commitment.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love? Which
>> one and why?
>>
>> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>>
>> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
>> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and to
>> get a good uniform cut.
>>
>> Meats mainly.
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> Hi, Steve - it's good to be able to give you some helpful information,
> rather than you always helping me!
>
> We have a Rival and love it. I never use it, since DH doesn't trust me;
> however, I just quizzed him about it.
>
> 1. It's all metal - no plastic parts at all. Since ours is several years
> old, it would pay to check that this still holds good.
>
> 2. The slices can be closely controlled. He can slice down to about 1/32"
> uniform slices, with maximum thickness, he says, anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4".
> He has done that with boneless ribeye.
>
> 3. Henry cleans it - says it's not all that bad once you're used to it.
>
> HTH
>
> Dora

Thanks kiddo. Good to hear from you. I was beginning to
wonder about ya!

I found a site that has the replacement gear for my Rival
Series 1030. I ordered two of them because they are very
difficult to find. Thanks. If you need the URL just give a
shout.

My Rival served me well for years until I did a "stupid" and
broke the idler gear.

As for the cleaning, I just take the motor off, disassemble
(about 2 minutes) and into the dishwasher. All except for
the blade. The only reason I don't put the blade in is due
to the plastic gear on the back of it. But everything else
is metal and does great in the DW.

All in all, clean up is about 5 minutes, and that includes
re-arraigning the dishwasher. (Nancy never did comprehend
how to properly load that sucker ;-) )

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

KLS wrote:

> Elmo, are you married? If not, will you marry me? You flamed this
> idiot far better than I ever could have, so I'd like to make this
> relationship as permanent as possible. If I can't, please send
> all my best regards to your wife, who obviously made an outstanding
> commitment.

Is school out already and I missed it? Seems like there's a
sudden influx of assholes around here lately.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve wrote:

> Thanks kiddo. Good to hear from you. I was beginning to wonder about ya!
>
> I found a site that has the replacement gear for my Rival Series 1030. I
> ordered two of them because they are very difficult to find. Thanks. If
> you need the URL just give a shout.
>
> My Rival served me well for years until I did a "stupid" and broke the
> idler gear.
>
> As for the cleaning, I just take the motor off, disassemble (about 2
> minutes) and into the dishwasher. All except for the blade. The only
> reason I don't put the blade in is due to the plastic gear on the back of
> it. But everything else is metal and does great in the DW.
>
> All in all, clean up is about 5 minutes, and that includes re-arraigning
> the dishwasher. (Nancy never did comprehend how to properly load that
> sucker ;-) )
>
> Steve

I'll be darned. I've never checked the model of our Rival but - guess
what? - it's a 1030! LOL
Yes, please - the URL for the replacement parts is something I would like to
keep on file, just in case. Thanks
for offering. Take care.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:

> I'll be darned. I've never checked the model of our Rival but - guess
> what? - it's a 1030! LOL
> Yes, please - the URL for the replacement parts is something I would like to
> keep on file, just in case. Thanks
> for offering. Take care.
>
> Dora

"bing", you've got mail ;-)

--
Steve

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Wertz wrote:
> This is pretty pathetic, Steve. Seems you're going off
> half-cocked a lot lately.
>
> Just my $.02 <shrug
> -sw

Maybe, dunno. They just ****ed me off. Pathetic though?
Maybe I'm workin' too hard. ;-(

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:04:18 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Is school out already and I missed it? Seems like there's a
>> sudden influx of assholes around here lately.

> Just make sure you get one that's easy to clean.
>
> -sw

alright. if sw is bangin' on me it's time to leave.

Adios everyone.

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 01:31:57 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:04:18 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Is school out already and I missed it? Seems like there's a
>> sudden influx of assholes around here lately.

>Just make sure you get one that's easy to clean.

Whoa! Smooth, easy to dance to -- I give it a 98.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love? Which
> one and why?
>
> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>
> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and to
> get a good uniform cut.
>
> Meats mainly.

you might look at ebay for used commercial units. They might end up costing
about the same as a new, halfway decent home unit, but be far more robust.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Gil Faver wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love? Which
>> one and why?
>>
>> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>>
>> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
>> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and to
>> get a good uniform cut.
>>
>> Meats mainly.
>>

> you might look at ebay for used commercial units. They might end up costing
> about the same as a new, halfway decent home unit, but be far more robust.

As a former owner of a used Hobart manual slicer, I agree. However, they
are not small and can do a _lot_ more damage if you aren't very careful.

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Gil Faver wrote:
>> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that they love?
>>> Which one and why?
>>>
>>> Any to stay away from? Again, why?
>>>
>>> I'm looking at a few. A Waring, Cooks Essentials, and Chefs Choice. It
>>> won't be heavily used but I want to have good control of thickness and
>>> to get a good uniform cut.
>>>
>>> Meats mainly.
>>>

>> you might look at ebay for used commercial units. They might end up
>> costing about the same as a new, halfway decent home unit, but be far
>> more robust.

> As a former owner of a used Hobart manual slicer, I agree. However, they
> are not small and can do a _lot_ more damage if you aren't very careful.

thanks for the advise. I just bought one.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:48:11 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a home meat slicer. ANyone have one that
>> they love? Which one and why?

> Now that he's gone, I'll point out this good review. I won't go
> into the politics of why this wasn't mentioned before ;-)
>
> <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.barbecue/msg/b38dec3947fef825?dmode=source&hl=en>
>
> My boss went out and got one based on this review. I'm sure
> he'll give it to me once I offer to do another 10lbs worth of
> deer jerky.
>
> -sw

Thanks asshole - NOW I'm gone! BWAAAAAAAHAAHAAAHAAHHAAAHAAA

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Steve Calvin ha scritto:
>limey wrote:
>

>> I'll be darned. I've never checked the model of our Rival but - guess
>> what? - it's a 1030! LOL
>> Yes, please - the URL for the replacement parts is something I would like

>> keep on file, just in case. Thanks
>> for offering. Take care.
>>
>> Dora

>"bing", you've got mail ;-)

Please forwar the URL to me too?? I am looking for the idler gear for a
friends Rival 1030 food slicer.

Thanks!
Frank

--
Send from http://www.nonsolonews.net

Electric meat slicer Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Cooking Equipment 7 14-09-2010 07:40 AM
Good deli type slicer for home use? Heath Roberts Cooking Equipment 6 14-02-2009 04:12 AM
Meat slicer? cybercat General Cooking 32 19-03-2008 04:43 PM
meat slicer for household use Amanda Cooking Equipment 6 23-06-2006 12:52 AM
Need recommendation for a meat slicer miamicuse Cooking Equipment 3 28-03-2006 02:37 AM