Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default FibraMent Baking Stones?

Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and wonder
if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average baking stone.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and

wonder
> if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average baking stone.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne,

I don't have a Fibrament, so I can't answer that (but I did look them up).
Just a thought that might save you a few bucks and provide an excellent
stone would be the pizza stone that is made by the Big Green Egg people.
Very thick and sturdy and made to withstand high temps.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Sun 22 Oct 2006 07:20:23p, Chris Marksberry meant to say...

>> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and
>> wonder if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average baking
>> stone.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Wayne,
>
> I don't have a Fibrament, so I can't answer that (but I did look them

up).
> Just a thought that might save you a few bucks and provide an excellent
> stone would be the pizza stone that is made by the Big Green Egg people.
> Very thick and sturdy and made to withstand high temps.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Thanks, Chris. I'll take a look at it. The Fibrament is a bit pricy.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...

> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and
> wonder
> if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average baking stone.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Have you "googled" them? I took just a quick look, but some of the returns
are for sites that have forums, pizzamaking.com for one, which have some
favorable posts. Perhaps you could get some "testimonials" from the
company? They are a bit pricey, but free shipping, 10 yr. warranty (didn't
see any details, though) and the thickness of the stone (durability and heat
retention) may tip the scales a bit...?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Sun 22 Oct 2006 10:40:35p, Green Mtn. Griller meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>>
>> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and
>> wonder if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average
>> baking stone.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> We are upping our standards... so up yours.
>>

> Have you "googled" them? I took just a quick look, but some of the
> returns are for sites that have forums, pizzamaking.com for one, which
> have some favorable posts. Perhaps you could get some "testimonials"
> from the company? They are a bit pricey, but free shipping, 10 yr.
> warranty (didn't see any details, though) and the thickness of the stone
> (durability and heat retention) may tip the scales a bit...?

Yes, actually I have. However, I was interested in hearing from some
people I "know" on rfe. Given the specs and the warranty it seems like a
better quality stone than most I've looked at.

--
Wayne Boatwright

We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

After my two round ceramic stones cracked, I got a rectangular
Fibrement that fits just right in my oven. Seems to work well. No
sign of stress, even after repeated long heatings at 555F with
convection on. Yeah, a bit more pricey than I wanted to spend. :-(
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and wonder
> if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average baking stone.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> We are upping our standards... so up yours.

Quik thought. Have been baking bread (including flat bread) daily for
over five years with steam and on a sandstone . The stone is sort the
sort widely sold as a baking stone for around $30, Williams Sanoma.

When reading the FAQ's at Fibrament's website I was disatisfied with
their non-answer to the question whether Fibrament would absorb
moisture. They begged the question, responding that water would
evaporate at 500 degrees is no answer. One of the things porus
sandstone does is permit water vapor to leave the dough and enter the
stone. This aids in acheiving a crisper crust on the bottom of the
loaf/ pie. Apparantly the Fibrament is not porus. I will stick
with a porus stone. (The quary tile I have tried are not in the same
category as sandstone.)

While on the subject of stones, an observation on rectangular vs
round. I have found it helped to have the retangular shape because
midway through baking the laof/pie can be moved to the other side of
the stone which will not have given its heat to the dough. This
provides better control of the loaf/pie bottom. A crisper crust.

bon a petit

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Mon 23 Oct 2006 03:19:04p, Chris Shenton meant to say...

> After my two round ceramic stones cracked, I got a rectangular
> Fibrement that fits just right in my oven. Seems to work well. No
> sign of stress, even after repeated long heatings at 555F with
> convection on. Yeah, a bit more pricey than I wanted to spend. :-(

Thanks, Chris. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually used one.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Oh pshaw, on Mon 23 Oct 2006 09:25:03p, meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and
>> wonder if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average
>> baking stone.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> We are upping our standards... so up yours.

> Quik thought. Have been baking bread (including flat bread) daily for
> over five years with steam and on a sandstone . The stone is sort the
> sort widely sold as a baking stone for around $30, Williams Sanoma.
>
> When reading the FAQ's at Fibrament's website I was disatisfied with
> their non-answer to the question whether Fibrament would absorb
> moisture. They begged the question, responding that water would
> evaporate at 500 degrees is no answer. One of the things porus
> sandstone does is permit water vapor to leave the dough and enter the
> stone. This aids in acheiving a crisper crust on the bottom of the
> loaf/ pie. Apparantly the Fibrament is not porus. I will stick
> with a porus stone. (The quary tile I have tried are not in the same
> category as sandstone.)
>
> While on the subject of stones, an observation on rectangular vs
> round. I have found it helped to have the retangular shape because
> midway through baking the laof/pie can be moved to the other side of
> the stone which will not have given its heat to the dough. This
> provides better control of the loaf/pie bottom. A crisper crust.
>
> bon a petit

You raise a good point, Ray. One of the reasons I use a baking stone at
all is to wick away moisture from the dough, especially for pizza, French
bread, and rustic loaves. Bakings stones i've used in the past have been
porous. hmm...

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Mon 23 Oct 2006 09:25:03p, meant to say...
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Anyone using one of these? I have to replace a broken pizza stone and
>>> wonder if the FibraMent is really an improvement over the average
>>> baking stone.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>
>>> We are upping our standards... so up yours.

>> Quik thought. Have been baking bread (including flat bread) daily for
>> over five years with steam and on a sandstone . The stone is sort the
>> sort widely sold as a baking stone for around $30, Williams Sanoma.
>>
>> When reading the FAQ's at Fibrament's website I was disatisfied with
>> their non-answer to the question whether Fibrament would absorb
>> moisture. They begged the question, responding that water would
>> evaporate at 500 degrees is no answer. One of the things porus
>> sandstone does is permit water vapor to leave the dough and enter the
>> stone. This aids in acheiving a crisper crust on the bottom of the
>> loaf/ pie. Apparantly the Fibrament is not porus. I will stick
>> with a porus stone. (The quary tile I have tried are not in the same
>> category as sandstone.)
>>
>> While on the subject of stones, an observation on rectangular vs
>> round. I have found it helped to have the retangular shape because
>> midway through baking the laof/pie can be moved to the other side of
>> the stone which will not have given its heat to the dough. This
>> provides better control of the loaf/pie bottom. A crisper crust.
>>
>> bon a petit
>>

> You raise a good point, Ray. One of the reasons I use a baking stone at
> all is to wick away moisture from the dough, especially for pizza, French
> bread, and rustic loaves. Bakings stones i've used in the past have been
> porous. hmm...
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

I agree. I have used a stone for years and thousands of pizzas.
The stone must be porous to absorb moisture from the dough.
The thick heavy stone retains more heat throughout the cooking period.
A thin wimpy stone loses heat and the surface temp. drops from the moment
the pizza
is placed on it.
Kent

Those baking stones notbob General Cooking 4 25-11-2009 03:48 PM
Unglazed quarry tile for baking stones Adam Preble General Cooking 13 10-01-2007 12:48 PM
Baking stones Shaun Ginsbourg Baking 8 29-03-2006 09:42 PM
Baking stones? Peter Baking 13 07-01-2005 07:43 PM
Baking Stones David Conner Baking 19 13-07-2004 01:24 AM