Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Barbeque Slaw

Hi,
I am a native North Carolinian who lives in Florida, where they should
not even be allowed to hang a sign out that says Bar B Que.

I am looking for a good vinegar based slaw recipe much like the
Piedmont NC style. Preferrably without sugar as I am a diabetic, but
also a serious lover of the art of Bar B Que eating.

If anyone has one they are willing to share, i would appreciate it very
much.
thank You,
Ken Hatley

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In oups.com,
> typed:
> Hi,
> I am a native North Carolinian who lives in Florida, where they
> should
> not even be allowed to hang a sign out that says Bar B Que.
>
> I am looking for a good vinegar based slaw recipe much like the
> Piedmont NC style. Preferrably without sugar as I am a diabetic,
> but
> also a serious lover of the art of Bar B Que eating.
>
> If anyone has one they are willing to share, i would appreciate it
> very
> much.
> thank You,
> Ken Hatley

First, have you seen the BBQ FAQ?
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

In there, you'll find a listing of "BBQ Sauces"
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-3.html#9.4

I've adapted one to a pretty good "no catchup, no mayo" cole slaw
dressing.
My notes for this post are in parenthases

"Eastern North Carolina-Style Barbecue Sauce"
2 cups cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar (that's not much is it?)
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon red pepper (powdered cayenne is my favorite...more or
less to taste)
1 teaspoon (or more, to taste!) garlic powder
Salt and ground pepper to taste (I like fresh ground blend of black,
white, green, etc)

Mix all ingredients, including salt and pepper, to taste, in medium
saucepan.
Bring to a boil (don't inhale...maybe do this outdoors or with a
strong exhaust fan running)
Cool 1/2 mixture, keeping the other 1/2 hot.
Pour hot mixture over finely chopped coleslaw veggies (add carrots,
onions, bell pepper, etc. if desired)
Immediately drain, saving this sauce (this hot sauce slightly changes
the texture of the slaw)
Pour the cold sauce over the coleslaw, refrigerate as necessary, or
serve *on* the BBQ sammich.

Use the hot mixture for a BBQ table sauce.

Enjoy.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Steve Wertz > typed:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:08:02 -0400, BOB wrote:
>
>> Enjoy.
>>
>> BOB

> You're gonna let him get away with that Florida crack?
> You going soft on us, or what?
>
> -sw

Yep.
Nope.
In relation to what is called BBQ here in Florida (in restaurants)
he's correct.
I'm originally from NC, too (many many moons ago). It's hard for one
Tarheel to disagree with another, unless you're comparing tarheels
(small "t") to Wolfpacks.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:08:02 -0400, BOB wrote:
>
>> Enjoy.
>>
>> BOB

> You're gonna let him get away with that Florida crack?
> You going soft on us, or what?
>
> -sw

He might be. I ain't.
If you don't like Florida, go back to NC.
Seems you a expert on BBQ and being from NC why ain't you got a slaw
recipe.
But since you don't. use this it has sugar. Use Splenda instead.
1 part sugar
1part veg oil
1 part apple cider vinegar
S&P and garlic to taste.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:08:02 -0400, BOB wrote:
> >
> >> Enjoy.
> >>
> >> BOB

> > You're gonna let him get away with that Florida crack?
> > You going soft on us, or what?
> >
> > -sw

> He might be. I ain't.
> If you don't like Florida, go back to NC.
> Seems you a expert on BBQ and being from NC why ain't you got a slaw
> recipe.
> But since you don't. use this it has sugar. Use Splenda instead.
> 1 part sugar
> 1part veg oil
> 1 part apple cider vinegar
> S&P and garlic to taste.
> --

Oil? Really? Huh, I wouldn't have "thunk" it. I would think the vinegar
would cook the cabbage enough, but what do I know? I'll have to try this,
thanks, Jim.

kili

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I am a native North Carolinian who lives in Florida, where they should
> not even be allowed to hang a sign out that says Bar B Que.
>
> I am looking for a good vinegar based slaw recipe much like the
> Piedmont NC style. Preferrably without sugar as I am a diabetic, but
> also a serious lover of the art of Bar B Que eating.

Lookin' for the red slaw, Lexington style? Here's a recipe from one of the
Bobby Flay shows, supposedly from the BBQ Center in Lexington. It's actually
a reasonable facsimile to what they serve, considering it makes a small
batch, as compared to a restaurant sized batch. It uses sugar, but you
oughta be able to use a sugar substitute and adjust the amount.

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
Salt
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
2 cups cabbage, chopped

In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients
and mix well. The vinegar mixture should have a reddish appearance. Pour the
mixture over the cabbage and stir to combine. Chill the slaw in the
refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

Good luck with it,
Jerry

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I am a native North Carolinian who lives in Florida, where they should
> not even be allowed to hang a sign out that says Bar B Que.
>
> I am looking for a good vinegar based slaw recipe much like the
> Piedmont NC style. Preferrably without sugar as I am a diabetic, but
> also a serious lover of the art of Bar B Que eating.
>
> If anyone has one they are willing to share, i would appreciate it very
> much.
> thank You,
> Ken Hatley

I use and like this recipe for KFC's cole slaw. I replace the sugar with 4-5
packets of Splenda. I also use all buttermilk, though that is obviously to
one's personal preference. I also put in more than the amount of carrots in
the recipe. This adds a bit of extra sweetness, even though carrots have a
low glycemic index, is, therefore, a good choice for your diabetes.
Kent

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (about 1 head)
1/4 cup shredded carrot: I use more.

2 tablespoons minced onion

1/3 cup granulated sugar: I use splenda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup buttermilk: I use all buttermilk

1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces (about
the size of rice).

2. Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar,
and lemon juice in a large bowl and beat until smooth.

3. Add the cabbage, carrots, and onion, and mix well.

4. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Serves 10-12. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)

barbeque? Silvyu Asian Cooking 0 05-11-2011 04:21 PM
My Barbeque Rub Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 24 06-07-2008 05:19 AM
Barbeque Slaw [email protected] Barbecue 0 23-07-2006 11:34 PM
Barbeque biig General Cooking 45 04-07-2006 07:13 AM
barbeque Angela Barbecue 25 06-02-2006 06:48 PM