Old 04-07-2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Barbeque Rub

With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
few hot pepper flakes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
3 each whole cloves
1 each large bay leaf

Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.

Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced to a
fine powder.

Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire whisk.
If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine sieve.

Store mixture in an airtight container.

Yield:
"2 cups (approx.)"

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 20:56:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and a
few hot pepper flakes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Now you tell me...LOL

I already made up one from The Barbecue Bible....but this one looks
very good.

Christine
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:05:48p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with a
mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar, and

few hot pepper flakes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

Now you tell me...LOL

I already made up one from The Barbecue Bible....but this one looks
very good.

Christine

Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
I'd love to, but my crayons all melted
together.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:16:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

Do you like it on anything in particular? Ribs, pork butts, chicken,
whatever?

Christine
Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:19:45p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

Try it next time, Christine. It's really good. I think it's been nearly
25 years ago that I first put this together and wrote it down.

Do you like it on anything in particular? Ribs, pork butts, chicken,
whatever?

Christine

I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it some
flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
If you could print all the money you
wanted, and steal all the money you
wanted, couldn't you manage to stay
out of debt?

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:24:26 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it some
flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

Okay..next slab of ribs...

My butt is smokin' along. I think I have hit the infamous "stall"
that I read about...the temp is hanging around 170 degrees ...

Christine
Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:29:05p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

I like it best on pork ribs or butts, but I've used it on beef ribs and
short ribs and think it's equally good. Guess I just prefer pork as a
meat. :-) David really likes it on chicken because it really gives it
some flavor. We get very tired of chicken on the grill without a lot of
seasoning. Sometimes I shake some on burger patties before grilling.

Okay..next slab of ribs...

My butt is smokin' along. I think I have hit the infamous "stall"
that I read about...the temp is hanging around 170 degrees ...

Christine

What was your rub like for the butt?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
A little inaccuracy saves tons of
explanation.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
necessary.

My rub recipe:

50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
20% Garlic powder
10% Paprika
10% Kosher salt
10% Black pepper

Makes as much as you want
Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:32:51p, Pete C. told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

[...]

Like most cooking, ingredients are a matter of personal preference. I
prefer a more complex flavor as well as a sweet base.

Nothing wrong with either style. I would enjoy the simplicity of your
recipe, but I would feel compelled to add sugar. :-)

FWIW, I can't stand barbecue sauces, used either during cooking or at
table.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
To the old cat, the tender mouse.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:32:41 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What was your rub like for the butt?

I didn't rub the butt.

Christine

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:47:17p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

What was your rub like for the butt?

I didn't rub the butt.

Christine

What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings, sauce?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
No matter where you go, there you are.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 21:51:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings, sauce?

It will turn into pulled/chopped pork... I made a NC style vinegar
sauce to go with it..and I will add a bit of that to the pulled pork,
with the rest to be served on the side. Buns and coleslaw to make
pulled pork sandwiches for those that want it.

I did this about 6 years ago, on my Weber kettle...but this time it is
in the smoker.

Christine
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:55:08p, Christine Dabney told us...

wrote:

What do you plan to do with it when done? Pulled pork? Seasonings,

sauce?

It will turn into pulled/chopped pork... I made a NC style vinegar
sauce to go with it..and I will add a bit of that to the pulled pork,
with the rest to be served on the side. Buns and coleslaw to make
pulled pork sandwiches for those that want it.

Ah, that sounds delicious! When I was a kid we frequently drove from
Missouri to Mississippi to visit relatives. We would always stop at a pit
barbecue place in Blythville, Arkansas for that very type of sandwich. A
very fond memory.

I did this about 6 years ago, on my Weber kettle...but this time it is
in the smoker.

Christine

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
The mice may have the right but the
cat has the claws.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
3 each whole cloves
1 each large bay leaf

I got the sweet part....but where did I miss the HOT part? Was there
an ingredient missing?

I would have added a five tablespoons cayenne.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 03:28:38p, Billy told us...

Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub

1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
3 each whole cloves 1 each large bay
leaf

I got the sweet part....but where did I miss the HOT part? Was there
an ingredient missing?

I would have added a five tablespoons cayenne.

Five tablespoons of cayenne would send me to the emergency room. :-)

The chili powder I use is pretty hot, actually. If I use a milder one, I
add a teaspoon or two of cayenne. I guess we all have different thresholds
of "hot".

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: U.S. Independence Day
Lightning is one hell of a murder
weapon -- and the best part is, it
can't be traced.

barbeque? Silvyu Asian Cooking 0 05-11-2011 04:21 PM
ENC vs WNC Barbeque Guv Bob Barbecue 9 30-09-2007 05:00 PM
Barbeque biig General Cooking 45 04-07-2006 07:13 AM
barbeque Angela General Cooking 12 06-02-2006 06:48 PM
barbeque Angela Barbecue 25 06-02-2006 06:48 PM