Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Converting drums, building a pit, buying something -- what to do?

Forewarning: I'm new and will try to refrain posting too many threads at
once. However, I wasn't getting what I wanted from a google groups
search so I figured I'd ask since there's a deadline associated with this.

I've smoked meat a few times with an electric smoker. The results were
OK, but I was comparing to BBQ around here in Austin. That smoker
stayed back in New York with my folks. I'm now looking into my options
for starting the BBQ again. And of course I'm kind of cheap.

What tripped this was an empty propane tank on Craigslist. It looked
pretty long, and it had a hole in it. Since I didn't plan to pressurize
it, I figured that was fine. My first thought was to make a BBQ pit out
of it. However, it seems nobody else has considered this--so there's
probably a good reason. I remember joking about converting an old air
compressor tank into a BBQ, so it had been on my mind.

In the past I had also considered converting oil drums or building a
brick pit. The idea with the brick put was to also make a think pizza
oven kind of thing for pizza and shortbread. I don't know if I'd get
away with that. It sounds like the oil drum conversions are imprecise,
but there are some plans out there.

I'm trying to find something where I can do smoking primarily, and
perhaps some grilling for veggies. Is the propane tank idea infeasible?
What do people think of alternatives? Should I just get the Weber bullet?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Adam Preble" > wrote in message
> Forewarning: I'm new and will try to refrain posting too many threads at
> once. However, I wasn't getting what I wanted from a google groups search
> so I figured I'd ask since there's a deadline associated with this.
>
> I've smoked meat a few times with an electric smoker. The results were
> OK, but I was comparing to BBQ around here in Austin. That smoker stayed
> back in New York with my folks. I'm now looking into my options for
> starting the BBQ again. And of course I'm kind of cheap.
>
> What tripped this was an empty propane tank on Craigslist. It looked
> pretty long, and it had a hole in it. Since I didn't plan to pressurize
> it, I figured that was fine. My first thought was to make a BBQ pit out
> of it. However, it seems nobody else has considered this--so there's
> probably a good reason. I remember joking about converting an old air
> compressor tank into a BBQ, so it had been on my mind.
>
> In the past I had also considered converting oil drums or building a brick
> pit. The idea with the brick put was to also make a think pizza oven kind
> of thing for pizza and shortbread. I don't know if I'd get away with
> that. It sounds like the oil drum conversions are imprecise, but there
> are some plans out there.
>
> I'm trying to find something where I can do smoking primarily, and perhaps
> some grilling for veggies. Is the propane tank idea infeasible? What do
> people think of alternatives? Should I just get the Weber bullet?

-- click on the link below and see what can be done with a propane tank. I
have more pictures of construction if you want.
Been building them for years.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Big Jim wrote:
> -- click on the link below and see what can be done with a propane tank. I
> have more pictures of construction if you want.
> Been building them for years.
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Is your basic pit a propane tank? It looks like that could have come
from a propane tank. What's it like to cut through the metal?

Just the clarify anybody else scanning my first post, I was planning to
convert a huge propane tank, not necessarily use propane as the heat source.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Adam Preble" > Is your basic pit a propane tank? It looks like that could
have come
> from a propane tank. What's it like to cut through the metal?
>
> Just the clarify anybody else scanning my first post, I was planning to
> convert a huge propane tank, not necessarily use propane as the heat
> source.

--I use propane tanks for the horizontal part. All else is new material. Can
cook with lump, wood, both and gas assist
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

NEVER use a used drum for a BBQ. You could end up getting very ill or
even worse. You don't know what has been in it. Since you are in
Austin look at New Brunfells or Oklahoma Joe's. They are at Academy.
Very heavy construction. Mine weighs 195 lbs.

Big Jim wrote:
> "Adam Preble" > Is your basic pit a propane tank? It looks like that could
> have come
>
>>from a propane tank. What's it like to cut through the metal?
>>
>>Just the clarify anybody else scanning my first post, I was planning to
>>convert a huge propane tank, not necessarily use propane as the heat
>>source.

> --I use propane tanks for the horizontal part. All else is new material. Can
> cook with lump, wood, both and gas assist
> James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote in message

:: "Adam Preble" > wrote in message
:: ...

<<Snipp
:::
[...]
::
:: -- click on the link below and see what can be done with a propane
tank. I
:: have more pictures of construction if you want.
:: Been building them for years.

I'll add one caution to this...ONLY cut into an old propane tank if
you are experienced in this procedure.
People blow themselves up every year converting old propane (and other
fuel) tanks into grills, smokers or planters.

Big Jim is obviously experienced in this.

BOB

:: James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
::
::
www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Big Jim" > wrote in message
>
> :: "Adam Preble" > wrote in message
> :: ...
>
> <<Snipp
> :::
> ::: What tripped this was an empty propane tank on Craigslist. It
> looked
> ::: pretty long, and it had a hole in it. Since I didn't plan to
> pressurize
> ::: it, I figured that was fine. My first thought was to make a BBQ
> pit out
> ::: of it. However, it seems nobody else has considered this--so
> there's
> ::: probably a good reason. I remember joking about converting an old
> air
> ::: compressor tank into a BBQ, so it had been on my mind.
> :::
> ::: In the past I had also considered converting oil drums or building
> a brick
> ::: pit. The idea with the brick put was to also make a think pizza
> oven kind
> ::: of thing for pizza and shortbread. I don't know if I'd get away
> with
> ::: that. It sounds like the oil drum conversions are imprecise, but
> there
> ::: are some plans out there.
> :::
> ::: I'm trying to find something where I can do smoking primarily, and
> perhaps
> ::: some grilling for veggies. Is the propane tank idea infeasible?
> What do
> ::: people think of alternatives? Should I just get the Weber bullet?
> ::
> :: -- click on the link below and see what can be done with a propane
> tank. I
> :: have more pictures of construction if you want.
> :: Been building them for years.
>
> I'll add one caution to this...ONLY cut into an old propane tank if
> you are experienced in this procedure.
> People blow themselves up every year converting old propane (and other
> fuel) tanks into grills, smokers or planters.
>
> Big Jim is obviously experienced in this.
>
> BOB
>
> :: James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
> ::
> ::
www.lazyq.com

Maybe using a rifle to cut it to it from long range would work ;-)

First Crush: Cab Sauv and I am SO building/buying a destemmer next year [email protected] Winemaking 8 22-10-2006 02:06 PM
55 gallon drums Barkman Barbecue 0 09-12-2005 09:28 AM
Question about 55 Gallon Drums [email protected] Winemaking 28 26-02-2005 03:52 PM
Question about 55 Gallon Drums [email protected] Winemaking 0 04-01-2005 08:14 PM
Using Gas on Poly Drums David D. Winemaking 8 12-08-2004 06:40 AM