Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Robert Dion

Default Couple of questions, if you don't mind

I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
wrong?

I bought some Cherry and Mesquite wood chips and I'd like to start
experimenting.

Tell me is this right? I'll soak the chips in some water, then drain
the chips, put them on some aluminium foil, add some dry chips, make a
pouch then prick some holes all over and toss the pouch directly on
the fire. How's that?
Can I use the smoking pouch with direct grilling? I figure if I just
use a small pouch and toss it to the side with some hot coals
underneath.

Thanks a million

Logann

BTW I plan to barbecue throughout Winter, even in -15 weather.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Harry Demidavicius

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:34:53 -0500, Robert Dion >
wrote:

>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
>it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
>taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
>dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
>about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
>hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
>cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
>to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
>wrong?

I didn't even know that Kingsford made charcoal. I thought they just
had the briquettes.

Somehow your fuel isn't getting enough air flow. How did you stack
your fuel? Is it briquettes? if so they may be packed to tightly.
BTW, if it is, I recommend you switch to lump.

>I bought some Cherry and Mesquite wood chips and I'd like to start
>experimenting.
>
>Tell me is this right? I'll soak the chips in some water, then drain
>the chips, put them on some aluminium foil, add some dry chips, make a
>pouch then prick some holes all over and toss the pouch directly on
>the fire. How's that?

Should work OK, but I would not bother wetting them.

>Can I use the smoking pouch with direct grilling?

I don't see much advantage for grilling. You'd be in and out before
much, if any, smoke got at your food.

>I figure if I just use a small pouch and toss it to the side with some hot coals
>underneath.
>

>Thanks a million
>
>Logann
>
>BTW I plan to barbecue throughout Winter, even in -15 weather.

Cold is not going to kill you, but the wind will. Make sure the Weber
is sheltered from wind.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent

Use the "baskets" that hold charcoal for indirect grilling. Bring the two
together and create a charcoal fire that is 1" below the grate. This will
create a grate temperature higher than any gas, or other charcoal grill,
that I am aware of. You can grill your steak"char-rare" as they say in the
steakhouses, actually to the point where it may be too raw in the center of
the filet, and charred on the surface. I grill steak with the kettle cover
off, to create a charred rare steak. This technique also uses less charcoal
by a wide margin, rather than just filling the bowl, and it may length the
life of the steel kettle.
There are two types of baskets. One is made from sheet metal, and the other
is made from steel grates, just like your grill grate. The latter, while
more expensive and harder to find, is much the better to use.
Doesn't sound too bad tonight, actually, though we are right in the middle
of Dungeness Crab season in Northern California; they are down at the fish
monger's, waiting to be hauled off to our steamer tonight.
Kent

"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
> about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
> hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
> cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
> to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> I bought some Cherry and Mesquite wood chips and I'd like to start
> experimenting.
>
> Tell me is this right? I'll soak the chips in some water, then drain
> the chips, put them on some aluminium foil, add some dry chips, make a
> pouch then prick some holes all over and toss the pouch directly on
> the fire. How's that?
> Can I use the smoking pouch with direct grilling? I figure if I just
> use a small pouch and toss it to the side with some hot coals
> underneath.
>
> Thanks a million
>
> Logann
>
> BTW I plan to barbecue throughout Winter, even in -15 weather.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kevin S. Wilson

wrote:

>. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
>dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
>about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
>hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
>cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
>to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
>wrong?

Switch to mesquite lump charcoal instead of briquettes, and use two
chimneys. Mesquite lump burns hotter.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Chef Kurt

>dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
>about 5-10 minutes.

There may be a couple of problems. My first thought is to lose the
Kingsford and get yourself some good lump charcoal.

The other problem I see (or think I see) is putting the cover on for
5-10 minutes. Put the briquets on and leave the lid off, and make sure
your bottom vent is wide open. If you just have to put the lid on for
some reason, make sure the top vent is all the way open.

Good luck.

Kurt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jimbo

"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
> about 5-10 minutes.

Keep the ( cover off while ) you wait 10 minutes or more
with all bottom vents open. With grilling grate on.

I think you will like it a lot.

Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Robert Dion

On the One-Touch Grill there's a vent on the lid and it is always
open, so is the bottom one. So I don't see that could be the prob.

Thanks

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:44:48 GMT, "Jimbo" > wrote:

>"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
>> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
>> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
>> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
>> about 5-10 minutes.

>Keep the ( cover off while ) you wait 10 minutes or more
>with all bottom vents open. With grilling grate on.
>
>I think you will like it a lot.
>

>Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
John O

> On the One-Touch Grill there's a vent on the lid and it is always
> open, so is the bottom one. So I don't see that could be the prob.
>
> Thanks

Then it's still a lack of airflow, or the charcoal is bad. The briquettes
are sitting on a grate above the bottom vents, right? This is neccessary for
a hot fire. If you're good there, try Royal Oak briquettes, or get a bag of
that lump mentioned by the others. Look for it at Walmart, Home Despot, or
Gordon Food Service. Tip: lump sometimes puts on a pyro show, with hot
sparks flying off. Wear glasses and don't light/pour it in your bare feet.
BTDT.

A couple years ago I ran into a bad bag of Kingsford. And some here will say
that what I just wrote is redundant. :-)

-John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John O wrote:

> A couple years ago I ran into a bad bag of Kingsford.

Running into a bad bag of Kingsford shouldn't be a problem for most
vehicles- using it for a fire in your grill would be, tho'...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jimbo

"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
> On the One-Touch Grill there's a vent on the lid and it is always
> open, so is the bottom one. So I don't see that could be the prob.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:44:48 GMT, "Jimbo" > wrote:
>

>>"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
>>> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
>>> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
>>> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
>>> about 5-10 minutes.

>>Keep the ( cover off while ) you wait 10 minutes or more
>>with all bottom vents open. With grilling grate on.

Ok Robert just try it with the cover off while you pre heat the Grate
for your stated 10 minutes.... you will then see this solves your Prob .

Jim

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Al Gartner

"Robert Dion" > wrote in message
>I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
> about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
> hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
> cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
> to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> I bought some Cherry and Mesquite wood chips and I'd like to start
> experimenting.
>
> Tell me is this right? I'll soak the chips in some water, then drain
> the chips, put them on some aluminium foil, add some dry chips, make a
> pouch then prick some holes all over and toss the pouch directly on
> the fire. How's that?
> Can I use the smoking pouch with direct grilling? I figure if I just
> use a small pouch and toss it to the side with some hot coals
> underneath.
>
> Thanks a million
>
> Logann
>
> BTW I plan to barbecue throughout Winter, even in -15 weather.

Lump charcoal burns hotter than the Kingsford Briquettes. So if you can
find some natural lump charcoal, get some of that. If my only tool of
red-meat destruction is the weber 22, I'd use 2 full chimneys of well-lit
lump, then toss more cold lump on top, let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes with
the cover off, and throw the steaks on. Make sure your cooking grate is
really, really clean and oil it up before landing the steaks on it. That'll
help your sear some.

My favorite implement o' destruction for good steaks is a smokey joe. I can
get the steaks much closer to the fire and get much better searing than I
can on the bigger Weber, and I'm using less charcoal. This should help you
too in the really cold temparatures. A weber 22" grill surface makes a
great stand for the Smokey Joe!

Cheers,

-a.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Robert,

Don't put the cover on. Weber is big into putting the cover on but I
never use it any more.

Also, put more charcoal on. I use Kingsford all the time. You can get
it as hot as you want. The more charcoal, the hotter it will be.

I usually dump the charcoal on the grate and see if I have as much as I
want. Then I pile it up and put a bunch of lighter fluid on it and
light it. Wait 30 minutes or so. It is really hot when the charcoal
is cherry red.

I did just what you did when I read the instructions and all, but I
learned that the cover is really not that useful. Also, be sure and
leave the holes wide open on the bottom of the grill.

Also, if you can afford it, I recommend buying a smoker for smoking. I
use a weber smokey mountain cooker.

- Bobby

Robert Dion wrote:
> I have a 22inch One-Touch Weber charcoal grill. Very satisfied with
> it. However, I find that the fire is far from being hot enough for my
> taste. I use a chimney and wait for the coals to be greyish and then I
> dump them on the grill, put the grill on top and cover then I wait
> about 5-10 minutes. But when I put the steaks on, I find that there's
> hardly any grill 'manly' grill marks, plus the steaks take forever to
> cook with hardly any charring. I use Kingsford charcoal, I switched
> to another brand we have here in Quebec, same thing. What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> I bought some Cherry and Mesquite wood chips and I'd like to start
> experimenting.
>
> Tell me is this right? I'll soak the chips in some water, then drain
> the chips, put them on some aluminium foil, add some dry chips, make a
> pouch then prick some holes all over and toss the pouch directly on
> the fire. How's that?
> Can I use the smoking pouch with direct grilling? I figure if I just
> use a small pouch and toss it to the side with some hot coals
> underneath.
>
> Thanks a million
>
> Logann
>
> BTW I plan to barbecue throughout Winter, even in -15 weather.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Robert,
>
> Don't put the cover on. Weber is big into putting the cover on but I
> never use it any more.
>
> Also, put more charcoal on. I use Kingsford all the time. You can get
> it as hot as you want. The more charcoal, the hotter it will be.

My guess is that putting the cover on at that point is actually causing the
coals to slow down, not get hooter, since air flow is restricted.

Let it get hot, very hot, put the steaks on, 3 minutes, flip. 3 minutes and
done if 1" or so, but if 2", move the steaks to a cooler part of the grill,
put the cover on to allow time to cook though.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FYI. On my weber I've had a bunch of problems when I put the cover on,
so I don't do it at all now. Maybe I'm not getting as good airflow as
other people, I don't know, but it doesn't work that well for me.

I usually have the coals bunched up on one side and kind of spread out
on the other.

That way, if you want a cooler section you go to the one with less
coals.

When I put the lid on it seems to just kill the fire and it is hard to
get it hot again.

- Bobby

p.s. When I'm in a hurry I don't wait for all the coals to fully light.
I spread the lit ones on one side and pile up the rest on the other
(with some lit ones mixed in). I start cooking on the spread out lit
ones first, then as they die down I go to the bigger pile on the other
side. That is good for cooking at a moderate heat for a longer period
of time. And it takes less time to start cooking.

But Robert's question was about searing steak, and that it a little
different. I let the coals get hotter with steak but still move it
to the less hot area if it starts to catch fire.

By the way, I did use some lump recently and it has different
characteristics. It lights faster and burns hotter than Kingsford, so
my way of doing things might not work so well with lump. For instance,
my chimney starter works great with lump, but is really slow and
seemingly pointless with kingsford.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

wrote:

> FYI. On my weber I've had a bunch of problems when I put the cover on,
> so I don't do it at all now. Maybe I'm not getting as good airflow as
> other people, I don't know, but it doesn't work that well for me.
>
> I usually have the coals bunched up on one side and kind of spread out
> on the other.
>
> That way, if you want a cooler section you go to the one with less
> coals.
>
> When I put the lid on it seems to just kill the fire and it is hard to
> get it hot again.
>
> - Bobby
>
> p.s. When I'm in a hurry I don't wait for all the coals to fully light.
> I spread the lit ones on one side and pile up the rest on the other
> (with some lit ones mixed in). I start cooking on the spread out lit
> ones first, then as they die down I go to the bigger pile on the other
> side. That is good for cooking at a moderate heat for a longer period
> of time. And it takes less time to start cooking.
>
> But Robert's question was about searing steak, and that it a little
> different. I let the coals get hotter with steak but still move it
> to the less hot area if it starts to catch fire.
>
> By the way, I did use some lump recently and it has different
> characteristics. It lights faster and burns hotter than Kingsford, so
> my way of doing things might not work so well with lump. For instance,
> my chimney starter works great with lump, but is really slow and
> seemingly pointless with kingsford.

You are kidding, right? Cooking over Kingsford is one thing. Using "a
bunch of lighter fluid" is another. Now you are suggesting that someone
cook a piece of meat over this mess when the "coals" aren't all ready?

If you are serious, you should stick to the oven. Even a gas grill
would be dangerous in your hands.

Dan

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

It works for me! I let the lighter fluid burn off before I start
cooking. To me the only question was whether Kingsford charcoal that
is not fully lit gives off some chemical which makes food taste bad.
But it doesn't appear to cause me any problems.

It is the same idea behind the "minion method" of smoking in a WSM.
You have unlit charcoal that slowly are lit by the lit ones.

Some people say that it gives food a bad taste if you do it that way.
Others disagree. I guess just give it a try and see what works for
you.

You can get hung up on the official view of things and not try and
figure out what actually works for you.

i.e. Everyone says use lump charcoal, but you can still try Kingsford
and see what you think.
Weber says put the cover on, but you can try with it off.
People say use a chimney starter, but you can try lighter fluid.
People say use a thermometer, but you can still cut the meat to see if
it is done.

You just have to try stuff and see how it works best for you.

Another thing I like doing is to cut boneless chicken breasts into
quarters and marinate them like this. They cook really quickly and
have a lot of flavor. But, I guess it is supposed to be better to have
full chicken breasts so it looks better.

But, it tastes good the way I do it, even if it looks funny.

Anyway, what I was trying to tell Robert was don't get stuck on the
official way to do things, either from Weber or anyone else.

- Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well, I didn't mean to imply that the things people suggest on this
newsgroup or in the FAQ were wrong or stupid and that I'm somehow
smarter and a better barbecuer. It really isn't a competition. I'm
just an occasional bbq'r and not an expert.

The reality is that I've learned a ton from the people on this group.
I'm sure I could learn a lot more, because I don't have the time to
play with this hobby that I would like to have.

But, some of the things that I've seen recommended have not worked when
I tried them. The main thing on this thread was having the lid on my
Weber grill. Weber's manual and their cookbook say to cook with the
lid on. I've tried it and had a lot of problems.

I did read in "The Barbecue Bible" that most people around the world
grill over an open grill with no cover. So, I think that is what
convinced me to forgo it.

So, you get conflicting advice from experts. You just have to try
stuff and see what works.

Maybe the reason the things I suggested work for me is that I have a
lower level of skill than some of the regular contributers to this
newsgroup.

I think that was kind of the idea behind the virtualwebber site. They
gave you a simple way of using your WSM. But, it goes against the
established best way to do things. I.e. you use unlit charcoal. But,
for someone like me who smokes something once every three months maybe
that is best.

So, yes, my barbecue IQ may be low, but the things I suggest is what I
do and what I've gotten to work.

As my wife said, when I told her that someone on the newsgroup said
that my suggestions were stupid:

"The stuff you grill tastes great"

The proof is in the pudding. I've found something that lets me produce
food that we like. It will never win a competition, but I've worked
out something I can do given the constraints I'm working under.
Perhaps someone with a similar level of skill and time can benefit from
my experiences.

Thanks,
Bobby

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dan Krueger

wrote:

> It works for me! I let the lighter fluid burn off before I start
> cooking. To me the only question was whether Kingsford charcoal that
> is not fully lit gives off some chemical which makes food taste bad.
> But it doesn't appear to cause me any problems.
>
> It is the same idea behind the "minion method" of smoking in a WSM.
> You have unlit charcoal that slowly are lit by the lit ones.
>
> Some people say that it gives food a bad taste if you do it that way.
> Others disagree. I guess just give it a try and see what works for
> you.
>
> You can get hung up on the official view of things and not try and
> figure out what actually works for you.
>
> i.e. Everyone says use lump charcoal, but you can still try Kingsford
> and see what you think.
> Weber says put the cover on, but you can try with it off.
> People say use a chimney starter, but you can try lighter fluid.
> People say use a thermometer, but you can still cut the meat to see if
> it is done.
>
> You just have to try stuff and see how it works best for you.
>
> Another thing I like doing is to cut boneless chicken breasts into
> quarters and marinate them like this. They cook really quickly and
> have a lot of flavor. But, I guess it is supposed to be better to have
> full chicken breasts so it looks better.
>
> But, it tastes good the way I do it, even if it looks funny.
>
> Anyway, what I was trying to tell Robert was don't get stuck on the
> official way to do things, either from Weber or anyone else.
>
> - Bobby

Bobby,

If you really let "a bunch of lighter fluid" burn off, you must be
starting the briquettes three hours before you plan on tossing the meat
on the grill. Even then the garbage in the Kingsford will still be there.

When is the last time the steak you ordered in a restaurant arrived at
your table with a slice in it?

Quartered chicken breasts are going to dry out a lot quicker than a
whole one.

Nothing is "official", there are just better methods. You said your
quartered chicken tasted "good". Why not go for "great"?

Dan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On 18 Dec 2005 14:09:50 -0800, wrote:

>I did read in "The Barbecue Bible" that most people around the world
>grill over an open grill with no cover. So, I think that is what
>convinced me to forgo it.

Well, grilling is NOT barbecuing. I've no doubt most who grill do so
with the lid open. I don't grill much--I barbecue much more
frequently. That, of course does involve having the lid on.

>I think that was kind of the idea behind the virtualwebber site. They
>gave you a simple way of using your WSM. But, it goes against the
>established best way to do things. I.e. you use unlit charcoal. But,
>for someone like me who smokes something once every three months maybe
>that is best.

You're trying to smoke stuff on a kettle grill, right? That's doing
it the hard way. Heck, you want to smoke stuff, spend 50 or so bucks
on a bullet smoker. Even the cheapies will do a far better job
smoking than a kettle grill. IMO.

>The proof is in the pudding. I've found something that lets me produce
>food that we like. It will never win a competition, but I've worked
>out something I can do given the constraints I'm working under.

Cooking it so's you like it is kinda the main goal. Even if it ain't
Q--I just last night made the best chicken I've ever done, and that
was in the oven. Beercan style, using half a can of lemonade, the
Danny Gaulden rub I use on ribs, and roasted at 400. YUM. Even beats
the ones I've smoked, and I *love* the taste smoke imparts. (of
course, I brined this chicken--the first time I've brined. Won't be
the last.)

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Please quote enough of the previous message for context. To do so from
> Google, click "show options" and use the Reply shown in the expanded
> header.

You learn something new everyday.

Just had some grilled salmon. It got a little burnt, but tasted good.
Used the "simple salmon" recipe from the Weber cookbook.

The funny thing is that I ended up putting the lid on the kettle after
all. It was kicking up all these flames and the lid killed them.

So, there is some use for the lid after all.

- Bobby

A couple of questions Tim W Sourdough 10 23-11-2009 10:13 AM
a couple questions enigma[_2_] Preserving 4 22-08-2007 05:27 AM
a couple questions enigma General Cooking 25 09-11-2006 02:07 PM
A Couple Questions- JimnGin Barbecue 14 08-12-2005 11:21 PM
a couple of questions sprudil Preserving 13 21-07-2005 04:28 PM