Posted to alt.food.barbecue
43fan

Default Grill/Smoker????

Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to smoking. Bought
the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal smoker this past spring, used it
about 8 times throughout the summer. Tried brisket fairly quickly, and
although it wasn't as tender as I think it should've been, IMO, it was
"decent"...

Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here. Also hoping I don't get
flamed too harshly, but, I've been around usenet for quite a while and the
skin's gotten tough over the years, so I suppose I can take it.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed using the smoker. I also really enjoy grilling.
My gas(should I duck now?) grill is about shot, and it's time to buy
something new. I prefer gas for the grill simply because of the quick
heating and very high temps I can get. Although, I have to admit, I've
never tried a charcoal chimney(is that the right word?) nor have I tried
lump...

What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I could get that
would be at least "decent", and here's the kicker... in the $300-$500
range?

I don't know what anyone's opinion is on the Char-Griller Super Pro
Grill/Smoker is, but would it be possible(and worthwhile) to take something
like that, convert the grill portion to gas, and then add the side fire box
to use it as a smoker?

Or would I be better off to get a good 3-4 burner grill, and use it "like" a
smoker, using just one burner with the meat set off to the side?

Again, just hoping to get some good ideas here. I don't have a lot of space
to use, or store, so I'm hoping to be able to combine the two if at all
possible.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

43fan wrote:

> Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to smoking.
> Bought the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal smoker this past
> spring, used it about 8 times throughout the summer. Tried brisket
> fairly quickly, and although it wasn't as tender as I think it
> should've been, IMO, it was "decent"...
>
> Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here.

Welcome to AFB. This will give you a good start:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

> What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I could get
> that would be at least "decent", and here's the kicker... in the
> $300-$500 range?

I use a Kamado, which I consider to be the best pit/grill available. The Big
Green Egg, Primo, and a coupla other ceramic pits are in the same general
category as the Kamado.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dimitri

"43fan" > wrote in message
> Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to smoking. Bought
> the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal smoker this past spring, used it
> about 8 times throughout the summer. Tried brisket fairly quickly, and
> although it wasn't as tender as I think it should've been, IMO, it was
> "decent"...
>
> Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here. Also hoping I don't get
> flamed too harshly, but, I've been around usenet for quite a while and the
> skin's gotten tough over the years, so I suppose I can take it.
>
> Anyway, I've really enjoyed using the smoker. I also really enjoy grilling.
> My gas(should I duck now?) grill is about shot, and it's time to buy
> something new. I prefer gas for the grill simply because of the quick
> heating and very high temps I can get. Although, I have to admit, I've
> never tried a charcoal chimney(is that the right word?) nor have I tried
> lump...
>
> What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I could get that
> would be at least "decent", and here's the kicker... in the $300-$500
> range?
>
> I don't know what anyone's opinion is on the Char-Griller Super Pro
> Grill/Smoker is, but would it be possible(and worthwhile) to take something
> like that, convert the grill portion to gas, and then add the side fire box
> to use it as a smoker?
>
> Or would I be better off to get a good 3-4 burner grill, and use it "like" a
> smoker, using just one burner with the meat set off to the side?
>
> Again, just hoping to get some good ideas here. I don't have a lot of space
> to use, or store, so I'm hoping to be able to combine the two if at all
> possible.
>
> Thanks!

The post above yours http://www.lazyq.com/

Take a look what "big Jim" has done.

Don't worry about Gas Grills - IMHO they have their place as well.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Toso

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> 43fan wrote:
>
>> Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to smoking.
>> Bought the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal smoker this past
>> spring, used it about 8 times throughout the summer. Tried brisket
>> fairly quickly, and although it wasn't as tender as I think it
>> should've been, IMO, it was "decent"...
>>
>> Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here.

> Welcome to AFB. This will give you a good start:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>

>> What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I could get
>> that would be at least "decent", and here's the kicker... in the
>> $300-$500 range?

> I use a Kamado, which I consider to be the best pit/grill available. The
> Big Green Egg, Primo, and a coupla other ceramic pits are in the same
> general category as the Kamado.
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com
>Ditto on the ceramic. I have a Primo Kamado, love it

Dave on a mountain in Colorado

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
George B. Ross

43fan ) opined:

> Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to
> smoking. Bought the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal
> smoker this past spring, used it about 8 times throughout
> the summer. Tried brisket fairly quickly, and although it
> wasn't as tender as I think it should've been, IMO, it was
> "decent"...
>
> Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here. Also
> hoping I don't get flamed too harshly, but, I've been
> around usenet for quite a while and the skin's gotten tough
> over the years, so I suppose I can take it.
>
> Anyway, I've really enjoyed using the smoker. I also
> really enjoy grilling. My gas(should I duck now?) grill is
> about shot, and it's time to buy something new. I prefer
> gas for the grill simply because of the quick heating and
> very high temps I can get. Although, I have to admit, I've
> never tried a charcoal chimney(is that the right word?) nor
> have I tried lump...
>
> What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I
> could get that would be at least "decent", and here's the
> kicker... in the $300-$500 range?
>
> I don't know what anyone's opinion is on the Char-Griller
> Super Pro Grill/Smoker is, but would it be possible(and
> worthwhile) to take something like that, convert the grill
> portion to gas, and then add the side fire box to use it as
> a smoker?
>
> Or would I be better off to get a good 3-4 burner grill,
> and use it "like" a smoker, using just one burner with the
> meat set off to the side?
>
> Again, just hoping to get some good ideas here. I don't
> have a lot of space to use, or store, so I'm hoping to be
> able to combine the two if at all possible.

I would try the Chargriller, but nix the gas modification. I
think it make a fine combo unit in the price range you're
looking at.

In starting to BBQ I moved from using my 22" Weber kettle to a
Chargriller and finally to a Klose. The best bang for the
buck was the Chargriller. I think it was $200 for the model
with the side firebox. I haven't used it to grill much, but
am now moving it out of retirement to main grill status. I
have used my current Weber for 20 years and it is starting to
give out under the strain of preheating logs for the Klose.

If you want more info on the Chargriller, just do a google
groups search (groups.google.com) on this newsgroup for
"chargriller". This smoker/grill has been discussed several
times over the past 5 years.

--
George B. Ross is
remove the obvious bits for email

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

George B. Ross wrote:
> 43fan ) opined:
>

>>Complete newbie to the group, and somewhat of a newbie to
>>smoking. Bought the real inexpensive Brinkman charcoal
>>smoker this past spring, used it about 8 times throughout
>>the summer. Tried brisket fairly quickly, and although it
>>wasn't as tender as I think it should've been, IMO, it was
>>"decent"...
>>
>>Anyway, I'm hoping that I can get some help here. Also
>>hoping I don't get flamed too harshly, but, I've been
>>around usenet for quite a while and the skin's gotten tough
>>over the years, so I suppose I can take it.
>>
>>Anyway, I've really enjoyed using the smoker. I also
>>really enjoy grilling. My gas(should I duck now?) grill is
>>about shot, and it's time to buy something new. I prefer
>>gas for the grill simply because of the quick heating and
>>very high temps I can get. Although, I have to admit, I've
>>never tried a charcoal chimney(is that the right word?) nor
>>have I tried lump...
>>
>>What I'm wondering is, is there a grill/smoker combo that I
>>could get that would be at least "decent", and here's the
>>kicker... in the $300-$500 range?
>>
>>I don't know what anyone's opinion is on the Char-Griller
>>Super Pro Grill/Smoker is, but would it be possible(and
>>worthwhile) to take something like that, convert the grill
>>portion to gas, and then add the side fire box to use it as
>>a smoker?
>>
>>Or would I be better off to get a good 3-4 burner grill,
>>and use it "like" a smoker, using just one burner with the
>>meat set off to the side?

I can't comment on the C-G'er but as for trying to use a
gasser as a smoker I would definately not advise. I have a
Weber Silver B gasser and I was using it for ribs as you
suggest trying. The bottom of my grill got so coated with
grease that it was a total mess. After I let it cool down
from the fire I cleaned it out and immediately ordered a WSM
for my smoking. They even peacefully co-exist side by side
on the patio. ;-D

Long story short - use the right tool for the right job.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Get a nice Weber Genesis with the rotisserie and smoker attachments.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Turn all three burners on light for about 20 mins. It will all be ash.
easy clean up!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

robrjt wrote:
> Get a nice Weber Genesis with the rotisserie and smoker attachments.

A good grill, but a lousy pit for making 'Q. It CAN work, but only with a
HUGE amount of effort.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

robrjt wrote:
> Turn all three burners on light for about 20 mins. It will all be ash.
> easy clean up!

yup, right after the fire goes out. Gassers shouldn't be
used for doing "low and slow" they aren't designed for that
use. Wanna grill? Use the gasser, wanna smoke? Buy a smoker
such as the WSM or other unit that's designed for that purpose.

--
Steve

Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I
gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take
more than just one night"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Some are designed for that use. Setting the back burner of my Genesis
to its low setting 190F. I left it on for a weekend, still had gas
left, and the temp was 190 as it was 2 days earlier...
Had a Bandera, it was a mess. Very diff to clean, crudely made. Found
the weber smoker attachment about $70 to smoke just as good, get nice
smoke ring and I've smoked dozens of delicious brisket and some of the
best smoked trout I've tasted. I've been using a genesis for the last
14 yrs. It maintains a set temp very well. I use a DCS grill for
grilling. The weber for eveything else, including a 23 lb stuffed bird
last month.
I agree there are prob more efficient smokers. But put that weber
smoker access on a genesis, and it works great.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

robrjt wrote:
> Some are designed for that use. Setting the back burner of my Genesis
> to its low setting 190F. I left it on for a weekend, still had gas
> left, and the temp was 190 as it was 2 days earlier...
> Had a Bandera, it was a mess. Very diff to clean, crudely made. Found
> the weber smoker attachment about $70 to smoke just as good, get nice
> smoke ring and I've smoked dozens of delicious brisket and some of the
> best smoked trout I've tasted. I've been using a genesis for the last
> 14 yrs. It maintains a set temp very well. I use a DCS grill for
> grilling. The weber for eveything else, including a 23 lb stuffed bird
> last month.
> I agree there are prob more efficient smokers. But put that weber
> smoker access on a genesis, and it works great.

Well, I'm not sure who you're replying too given that you
chose to not include any of the prior post but given the
"gist" of your post, I'll "assume" that it's a reply to my
post earlier.

You're absolutely right. It will work fine. Until you do
enough ribs and brisket (assuming that you're really smoking
them at around 225-250dF) and the bottom of the grill builds
enough grease to catch on fire. You'll understand using the
right equipment for the proper job when that happens to you,
as it did to me.

Trust me, it *will* happen unless you scrape the bottom of
the Weber out after about 2 or 3 uses as a "smoker" which
it's not. The "smoker" attachment works ok to give a hint
of smoke to grilling but I'd still advise against using it
to do any amount of real smoking.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg

robrjt wrote:

> Some are designed for that use. Setting the back burner of my Genesis
> to its low setting 190F. ....

Been there, done that and bought the t-shirt. It doesn't work that easy; it
takes far more work than you're willing to admit, and it produces an
inferior 'Q to boot. But this ain't worth my time to argue, if said all
that I need to on this dumb subject.

I had to reconstruct this thread to see what the heck you were replying too.
Since you continue to refuse to make the context of your replies easily
readable by including a bit of the text to which you are replying, you now
are part of my bozo bin.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Denny Wheeler

On 4 Dec 2005 16:00:32 -0800, "robrjt" > wrote:

stuff--without any quoting of previous post.

You're using Google Groups--I know that there's a 'quote previous
post' (or similar name) option. I suggest you use it, else nobody
will read your posts. It's polite to quote some quantity of what
you're replying to.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
robrjt

Likewise regarding the bin. I never said it wasn't work. Need to
keep an eye on the water pan and wood bin. But a delicious , slow
cooked smoked brisket sure as hell is not rocket science. Not here in
Texas, anyway.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> I use a Kamado, which I consider to be the best pit/grill available. The Big
> Green Egg, Primo, and a coupla other ceramic pits are in the same general
> category as the Kamado.

Not sure if the OP is still around, but ...

I've gotten way more use out of my medium-sized Big Green Egg (BGE)
than I ever thought I would. It is a little more work than a gas
grill, but not much more, really. For a while I had a gas grill and
the BGE, but I gave away the grill to help cure my sloth. The internal
bits of ceramic (not the shell) show some cracks but it keeps on going.
I kept thinking I'd upgrade to a Kamado, but as I said, it keeps
going.

Today's lunch was pretty easy, a pork tenderloin rubbed with olive oil
and brown sugar, put in a BGE at 350F, turned over at 90F internal,
cook to 145F internal.

(I use my shop-vac to clean it out every 2-4 runs, and use an electric
hoop starter)