Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What do you place your grill/smoker on?

Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
lawn?

The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?

Hadn't seen this discussed here before.

I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems), and the dog loves
to nose arount it and pee on it's corner. (Always glad I put a bit of
extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
What kinds of setups do you folks have?

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

Wooden deck? <shudder> no

Put in a paver patio/sidewalk system on the back yard and expanded it a
little to accommodate them.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg

> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?

Keep the drip pans in place and clean... no problem. But we don't have
dogs either. Indoor cat and fishtank.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?
>
> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?
>
> Hadn't seen this discussed here before.
>
> I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
> it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems), and the dog loves
> to nose arount it and pee on it's corner. (Always glad I put a bit of
> extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
> What kinds of setups do you folks have?
>
> Pierre

My offset horizontal smoker is fitted with a drain valve. In use, a bucket
sits under the valve to catch the drippings, which it does effectively.
The whole thing sits on an asphalt surface.

If your smoker doesn't have a definite grease drain (as mine didn't) you might
consider fitting it with one. I just welded in a pipe fitting and threaded in
a pipe valve.

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre wrote:

> What kinds of setups do you folks have?

I have my pit, my outdoor griddle, my gas stove top, and my gas grill on my
wooden deck. The grill and pit each sits on top of an insulated mat.

--
Dave www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

The BGE sits on the deck about 3 steps outside the door----other cookers are
trailer mounted --pressure washers work for cleaning but most of our units
are pretty much self contained
buzz

> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?
>
> Hadn't seen this discussed here before.
>
> I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
> it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems), and the dog loves
> to nose arount it and pee on it's corner. (Always glad I put a bit of
> extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
> What kinds of setups do you folks have?
>
> Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pierre > wrote:

> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

All the above except the lawn. The lawn died long ago from using
the ECB on it.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

My grill is on my wood deck. I make sure that the grease catcher is always
present/installed. And then I also have a grill mat underneath of it to
catch any and all drippings, which isn't much. The mat doesn't let
anything through, as it is rubber backed. I just replace the mat when
needed. I replaced the mat last summer for the first time after about 4.5
years. Not due to deteriation of the mat, but because the mat was blown
away when a tornado touched down just down the road from our house. The
grill was sent crashing across the deck and the mat was blown away in the
storm. I'm hoping this new mat won't meet the same fate. ;>)

Matt

> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?
>
> Hadn't seen this discussed here before.
>
> I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
> it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems), and the dog loves
> to nose arount it and pee on it's corner. (Always glad I put a bit of
> extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
> What kinds of setups do you folks have?
>
> Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What do you place your grill/smoker on? OT

Sorry for going a tad OT, but this might amuse you.

When our son was married, we had a whole hog brought in for the guests
the night before the rehearsal. Our deck at the time was elevated 20'
above the ground behind our house, and connected to it by a 25' long
walkway or bridge. That way, it was back in the trees.

We had a very large dog at the time who loved to make "nests" in several
different locations. One was under the deck.

There were about 25 friends and relatives on the deck when the caterer
brought the pig. It was a small hog and the "tray" was a bread tray
he'd gotten from a grocery store. During the course of 25 people seeing
if they could eat an entire pig <grin>, a lot of the juice and fat
dripped through the tray and then through the decking. The main drip
was almost directly over where the dog had her favorite nest- and
coincidentally was where she had perched that evening. I guess she
thought that she'd died and gone to heaven. The grease was dripping
down faster than she could even lick it up, so she decided to enjoy it
more by rolling in it while it rained pig fat on her back, sides and head.

Well, after she'd had her fill, she decided to come up on the deck and
join the party- despite the deck being normally off limits to her.

Then, while all the folk wondered what kind of dog she was- covered with
grease, dirt and pine straw. . . she SHOOK.

That ended the party for some of the folk, who went back to the hotel to
shower and change. My best friend and I got her into his pickup and we
took her to the vet for a scrubbing. We were charged for two dog
scrubbings, she was so covered.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is
Drunk, Horny or Running for Office.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 4, 6:30*am, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Sorry for going a tad OT, but this might amuse you.

<SNIP great story>

Oh it did, my co-workers are wondering WTH I was laughing at so hard.

I'll sometimes let some fat in my cooker drain onto the dirt for the
dog, boy do they sure love the stuff. It's too easy to visualize what
happened to you. Damn good story, thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

Yes.

The grills are on the wooden deck, and neither is ever used without being
constantly supervised. There's a water hose right there, and a fire
extenguisher just inside the door.

The four Kamados are on the concrete patio along with the WSM and the mini
BGE.

The Stump's Smoker is in the lawn. Well, there is a 12" by 12" patio stone
under each leg, and a #10 can under the grease drain.

When it isn't living on the patio with those others, my Stump's Smoker
Tailgater lives...in the driveway, on the receiver hitch of my truck.

> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?

No pets, but the neighbor's cats seem to keep most of the spills cleaned up
for me. I also have some 30" by 30" commercial carpet squares that are on
the patio. When they get nasty, they go into the trash. They were free
from a demo-ed construction sits.

> Hadn't seen this discussed here before.
>
> I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
> it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems),

Get some patio stones from Home Despot, bLowes, etc. My 1500 pound (I
think) Stump's sits on 4 of them, just leveled over Florida sand.

> and the dog loves
> to nose arount it and pee on it's corner.

I wouldn't worry about the "nosing around" but the peeing has to stop!

> (Always glad I put a bit of
> extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
> What kinds of setups do you folks have?
>
> Pierre

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?

Yes.
The grills are on the wooden deck, and neither is ever used without
being
constantly supervised. There's a water hose right there, and a fire
extenguisher just inside the door.
The four Kamados are on the concrete patio along with the WSM and the
mini
BGE.

The Stump's Smoker is in the lawn. Well, there is a 12" by 12" patio
stone
under each leg, and a #10 can under the grease drain.

When it isn't living on the patio with those others, my Stump's
Smoker
Tailgater lives...in the driveway, on the receiver hitch of my truck.

No pets, but the neighbor's cats seem to keep most of the spills
cleaned up
for me. I also have some 30" by 30" commercial carpet squares that
are on
the patio. When they get nasty, they go into the trash. They were
free
from a demo-ed construction sits.

Get some patio stones from Home Despot, bLowes, etc. My 1500 pound
(I
think) Stump's sits on 4 of them, just leveled over Florida sand.

I wouldn't worry about the "nosing around" but the peeing has to
stop!

BOB

Bob, have some equipment!!! (Grills. . .at least 2), '4' K's, 2
stumps')
8 cookers? 4 kamodo's?
Brings back memories of circus acts on TV in the 60's with one juggler-
type spining plates on the end of vertical sticks, running frantic
trying to keep them all going before any of them falls off, oh well,
guess you had to be there.
Thanks all, for the descriptions and remedies for the fine messes
we've created.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message
> Wooden deck? Brick-stone-cement sufaced patio? Driveway? Dirt? your
> lawn?
>
> The grease. . .drippings that can go all over the surface. . .is it a
> problem, for ants, your dog, or stepping in it and getting it all into
> the house? Best way to keep it from getting nasty?
>
> Hadn't seen this discussed here before.
>
> I've got my cookers at the edge of a brick patio, on the grass which
> it wants to sink into (moving it has its problems), and the dog loves
> to nose arount it and pee on it's corner. (Always glad I put a bit of
> extra cayenne into the mops, for that very reason.)
> What kinds of setups do you folks have?

--
I have my Kamado on a concrete slab, surrounded by grass. Don't get much
drip, if any.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pierre" > wrote in message

> Bob, have some equipment!!! (Grills. . .at least 2), '4' K's, 2
> stumps')
> 8 cookers? 4 kamodo's?
> Brings back memories of circus acts on TV in the 60's with one juggler-
> type spining plates on the end of vertical sticks, running frantic
> trying to keep them all going before any of them falls off, oh well,
> guess you had to be there.
> Thanks all, for the descriptions and remedies for the fine messes
> we've created.

You're welcome.

12 at last count. Not counting the (gas) turkey fryer and the (gas) crab
pot.

It's a disease. An addiction.

I don't believe that I've ever had more than 4 going at one time. And that
was before the large Stump's, because I needed capacity.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4-Jun-2008, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Sorry for going a tad OT, but this might amuse you.
>
> When our son was married, we had a whole hog brought in for the guests
> the night before the rehearsal. Our deck at the time was elevated 20'
> above the ground behind our house, and connected to it by a 25' long
> walkway or bridge. That way, it was back in the trees.
>
> We had a very large dog at the time who loved to make "nests" in several
> different locations. One was under the deck.
>
> There were about 25 friends and relatives on the deck when the caterer
> brought the pig. It was a small hog and the "tray" was a bread tray
> he'd gotten from a grocery store. During the course of 25 people seeing
> if they could eat an entire pig <grin>, a lot of the juice and fat
> dripped through the tray and then through the decking. The main drip
> was almost directly over where the dog had her favorite nest- and
> coincidentally was where she had perched that evening. I guess she
> thought that she'd died and gone to heaven. The grease was dripping
> down faster than she could even lick it up, so she decided to enjoy it
> more by rolling in it while it rained pig fat on her back, sides and head.
>
> Well, after she'd had her fill, she decided to come up on the deck and
> join the party- despite the deck being normally off limits to her.
>
> Then, while all the folk wondered what kind of dog she was- covered with
> grease, dirt and pine straw. . . she SHOOK.
>
> That ended the party for some of the folk, who went back to the hotel to
> shower and change. My best friend and I got her into his pickup and we
> took her to the vet for a scrubbing. We were charged for two dog
> scrubbings, she was so covered.
>
> --
> Nonny

Yep, That's man's best friend alright. I refrain from spinning tales about
my late Doberman. Most folks would consider them outright lies. He was
an outrageous dog.

As for grill/pit drippings, my grill has a drip pan that works well as long
as I remember to emtpy it periodically. My offset pit has a half gallon
bucket under the drip hole. Both machines are on concrete in my screen
room. My biggest aggravation is ashes from the offset. A fair amount
manages to escape the machine onto the concrete floor. I have to sweep
about everytime I use it.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ping Sly Was: What do you place your grill/smoker on?

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:06:54 -0400, PhoenixWench >
> wrote:
>>> Welcome, Sly!!! I think there are one or two regulars here that are
>>> more or less in your area--but it's up to you if you care to mention
>>> the area.
>>>

>> <oh well> I just figured out that you might mean 'home' rather than
>> other newsgroup - I'm in the Catskills - the mid-Hudson area of NY. I
>> have a tiny motel (only 8 rooms) and 7 grills - 5 gas - accumulated over
>> time, that we make available to the guests.

> Yup, I meant Catskills. Seems to me like there are a couple regs in
> the upstate NY area.

Hey Sly,

I apparently missed your post.

Where in the Catskills/MHV??? I'm in Poughkeepsie and have a camp in
Stratford (actually the lower Adirondacks).

May not get back to you until next week as we're taking our new UTV up
there and won't be back until Tuesday.

--
Steve

Traeger Smoker/Grill Harry Moos Barbecue 2 14-09-2007 06:50 AM
Grill/Smoker???? 43fan Barbecue 15 06-12-2005 12:18 AM
Our Place Pizza Bar& Grill Bloody Mary vega General Cooking 3 12-09-2005 05:07 AM
Compact Smoker/Grill? Stan Marks Barbecue 9 18-03-2005 03:27 PM
Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 0 23-02-2005 01:36 AM