Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grill with integrated smoker

Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
$100 more than the non smoker one.
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...all&eid=320 9
Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
$12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
porcelain covered cast iron.
TIA
Sal

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
ups.com
> Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
> One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
> $100 more than the non smoker one.
> http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...all&eid=320 9
> Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
> $12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
> Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
> burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
> evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
> porcelain covered cast iron.
> TIA
> Sal

Take a look he

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

If I were you, and I wanted to cook Barbecue, I'd buy a Weber Smokey
Mountain.

Best bang for the buck in the BBQ world.

BOB
of course, I'm obsessed, and my BBQ equipment costs muchmore than theWSM's
(roughly) $200

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com
>> Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
>> One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
>> $100 more than the non smoker one.
>> http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...all&eid=320 9
>> Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
>> $12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
>> Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
>> burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
>> evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
>> porcelain covered cast iron.
>> TIA
>> Sal

> Take a look he
>
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> If I were you, and I wanted to cook Barbecue, I'd buy a Weber Smokey
> Mountain.
>
> Best bang for the buck in the BBQ world.
>
> BOB
> of course, I'm obsessed, and my BBQ equipment costs muchmore than theWSM's
> (roughly) $200

A friend of mine has one of those boxes on his silver b.
It's ok but I wouldn't try and do real que on it. I did and
eventually ended up with a nice fire in the bottom of the unit.

You looking to grill or que?

I'm somewhat partial to my Weber Silver B for grilling and
my WSM for smokin'. It depends on how much you want to spend
though.

--
Steve
http://adirondackoutdoors.forumcircle.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 16, 5:49 pm, wrote:
> Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
> One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
> $100 more than the non smoker one.http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ogSearchResult...
> Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
> $12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
> Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
> burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
> evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
> porcelain covered cast iron.
> TIA
> Sal

Hi from Chicago. I would seriously look at www.bigdrumsmokers.com for
a smoker which if the lid is left off is a high powered BBQ as well.
It is less expensive than the nearest competing model and so easy to
use!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
> One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
> $100 more than the non smoker one.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...all&eid=320 9
> Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
> $12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
> Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
> burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
> evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
> porcelain covered cast iron.
> TIA
> Sal

Welcome, ponders with charcoal!

I remember this exact thought process happening years ago. You will
find that grilling, smoking and bbqing are hard to do on the same (under
four digit) rig. For much less than the $100 upgrade, you can get an
"ECB" from Rona or Canadian Tire. Have a look at the faq link earlier
in the thread to figure out what the ECB is. Should cost you $65.
Great low temps for smoking things like ribs and medium temps for things
like spatchcock chicken. A gasser, even with a wood chip box, won't
give you the same results as a charcoal rig will.

I also see that Canadian Home Depots now have Chargrillers. Finally, I
can get a replacement cover without having to use my "Kroger connection"
in Michigan.

Cast Iron, stainless, porcelain coated... all have been debated here and
as a rule of thumb, the thicker the better. The thermal mass of these
guys is better than any of the thin grates unless someone came out with
U235 grates. Beware any "East Bloc" grills, just in case!

--

Wally Bedford

"No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
Sir Frederick G. Banting

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 17, 10:56 am, Wally Bedford > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi I am in the market for a new BBQ and have two questions.
> > One model has an integrated side smoker with it's own burner but is
> > $100 more than the non smoker one.
> >http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ogSearchResult...
> > Or I can buy the less expensive one and add a grillpro smoker box for
> > $12.95. Is it worth getting the smoker box integrated?
> > Also there are stainless steel burners or porcelain covered cast iron
> > burners, some people say the cast iron ones dissipate heat more
> > evenly. Any comments. For the cooking grid I am for sure going for the
> > porcelain covered cast iron.
> > TIA
> > Sal

> Welcome, ponders with charcoal!
>
> I remember this exact thought process happening years ago. You will
> find that grilling, smoking and bbqing are hard to do on the same (under
> four digit) rig. For much less than the $100 upgrade, you can get an
> "ECB" from Rona or Canadian Tire. Have a look at the faq link earlier
> in the thread to figure out what the ECB is. Should cost you $65.
> Great low temps for smoking things like ribs and medium temps for things
> like spatchcock chicken. A gasser, even with a wood chip box, won't
> give you the same results as a charcoal rig will.
>
> I also see that Canadian Home Depots now have Chargrillers. Finally, I
> can get a replacement cover without having to use my "Kroger connection"
> in Michigan.
>
> Cast Iron, stainless, porcelain coated... all have been debated here and
> as a rule of thumb, the thicker the better. The thermal mass of these
> guys is better than any of the thin grates unless someone came out with
> U235 grates. Beware any "East Bloc" grills, just in case!
>
> --
>
> Wally Bedford
>
> "No one has ever had an idea in a dress suit."
> Sir Frederick G. Banting

Thanks everyone for your input Wally, for the difference in SS or Cast
iron, I was asking for the actual burner. As for the grate I am going
with the porcelain coated cast Iron. It's the burner itself I am not
sure. Webber only makes SS burners but others make both, and
apparently heat distribution is better on porcelain covered cast
ironburner(not grate) especially 2" from sides of burner.
Thnx

What do you place your grill/smoker on? Pierre[_1_] Barbecue 19 12-06-2008 03:15 AM
Traeger Smoker/Grill Harry Moos Barbecue 2 14-09-2007 06:50 AM
Grill/Smoker???? 43fan Barbecue 15 06-12-2005 12:18 AM
Compact Smoker/Grill? Stan Marks Barbecue 9 18-03-2005 03:27 PM
Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 0 23-02-2005 01:36 AM