Stan Marks

Default Compact Smoker/Grill?

Howdy, Folks!

I am in the market for a *compact* smoker/grill for use on camping
trips and for traveling. I do have an ECB that I use at home (I'm
cooking a brisket on it, as I type and I have used it on camping
trips, but it does take up a lot of space in the ol' pickup. I know
that Brinkmann makes a "single" version of this same smoker
(http://tinyurl.com/487h7) and I was wondering if anyone here has any
experience with this unit.

It's also occurred to me that, if the diameter of this ECB Single is
the same as the more common "double" ECB, I could stack the two to
increase capacity and get double-duty from it. (Sort of an ECBx1.5?
The only drawback that I can see is the price: $50 + shipping for the
Single, if ordered directly from Brinkmann's website! (Wal Mart sells
the regular "double" for $30.) I haven't seen this unit available
anywhere else. If it is available elsewhere, I'd like to know about it.

Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact smoker/grill?
BOB

Stan Marks wrote:
> Howdy, Folks!
>
> I am in the market for a *compact* smoker/grill for use
> on camping trips and for traveling. I do have an ECB that
> I use at home (I'm cooking a brisket on it, as I type
> and I have used it on camping trips, but it does take up
> a lot of space in the ol' pickup. I know that Brinkmann
> makes a "single" version of this same smoker
> (http://tinyurl.com/487h7) and I was wondering if anyone
> here has any experience with this unit.
>
> It's also occurred to me that, if the diameter of this
> ECB Single is the same as the more common "double" ECB, I
> could stack the two to increase capacity and get
> double-duty from it. (Sort of an ECBx1.5? The only
> drawback that I can see is the price: $50 + shipping for
> the Single, if ordered directly from Brinkmann's website!
> (Wal Mart sells the regular "double" for $30.) I haven't
> seen this unit available anywhere else. If it is
> available elsewhere, I'd like to know about it.
>
> Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact
> smoker/grill?

Kamado #1 or a small BGE or even a Mini BGE. Assuming you're
"car-camping" and not back-packing.

BOB
in order of personal preference

Piedmont

BOB wrote:
> Stan Marks wrote:

snip
>>Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact
>>smoker/grill?

> Kamado #1 or a small BGE or even a Mini BGE. Assuming you're
> "car-camping" and not back-packing.
>
> BOB
> in order of personal preference

Bob,
You've got to be kidding, right? you are kidding aren't you? Wouldn't
they be the same size as his water smoker plus the added weight?

--
Regards, Mike Willsey (Piedmont)

Please visit my MSN Group: "The Practical Bar B Q'r", A great barbecue
resource; Filled with links and down-loadable documents on building or
buying a cooker, recipes, and links to other great bbq sites. Free
membership to all!

http://groups.msn.com/ThePracticalBa...ewwelcome.msnw

Stan Marks

In article >,
Piedmont > wrote:

> BOB wrote:
> > Stan Marks wrote:

> snip
> >>Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact
> >>smoker/grill?

> > Kamado #1 or a small BGE or even a Mini BGE. Assuming you're
> > "car-camping" and not back-packing.
> >
> > BOB
> > in order of personal preference
> >

> Bob,
> You've got to be kidding, right? you are kidding aren't you? Wouldn't
> they be the same size as his water smoker plus the added weight?

That's basically what I was thinking!

Stan
BOB

Piedmont wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> Stan Marks wrote:

> snip
>>> Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact
>>> smoker/grill?

>> Kamado #1 or a small BGE or even a Mini BGE. Assuming
>> you're "car-camping" and not back-packing.
>>
>> BOB
>> in order of personal preference
>>

> Bob,
> You've got to be kidding, right? you are kidding aren't
> you? Wouldn't they be the same size as his water smoker
> plus the added weight?

Sort of, but not completely...I take my Kamado #5 camping with me.
Sometimes I will even take the #1, #3, #5 combination. It sure does make
eating in the "wilderness" a lot more fun.

BOB

Kevin S. Wilson

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 07:13:47 -0600, Piedmont >
wrote:

> BOB wrote:
>> Stan Marks wrote:

>snip
>>>Anybody have any other suggestions for a compact
>>>smoker/grill?

>> Kamado #1 or a small BGE or even a Mini BGE. Assuming you're
>> "car-camping" and not back-packing.

>Bob,
>You've got to be kidding, right? you are kidding aren't you? Wouldn't
>they be the same size as his water smoker plus the added weight?

I take my #1 camping, even though it is kind of a pain in the ass.
After experimenting with a half-dozen ways of keeping it from ending
up in pieces, it now rides at the very end of the truck bed, next to
the tailgate, in a large plastic feed bucket. The K is cushioned with
some old towels, and the feed bucket is strapped to the truck bed with
a motorcycle tie-down.

Juggernaut

what about a weber smoky joe

Kevin S. Wilson

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:40:57 -0600, Nick >
wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:11:50 -0700, Kevin S. Wilson >
>wrote:
>
>>it now rides at the very end of the truck bed, next to
>>the tailgate, in a large plastic feed bucket.

>I hope that you have another one close by from which you eat your
>slop!

Oh, look here. How special. A morphing coward hijacking a thread to
hump my leg.

Can I keep him?

Which one of the golfing, weather-forecasting AFB fuddie-duddies would
you be, morph-boy?

Marie

Didn't Smokin Tex make such a creature that you're looking for? If I
remember correctly, Smokin Tex and Luhr-Jensen(sp?) had some camp-type
smokers that were designed to be small and portable. The Smokey Joe is a
wonderful grill for two, but don't bother with trying to smoke indirectly
with it.

Marie

Stan Marks

In article >,
"Marie" > wrote:

> Didn't Smokin Tex make such a creature that you're looking for?

Someone on the Smokering BBQ mailing list also recommended the Smokin'
Tex "Smo-Kit", and it is very compact and portable. It is a propane
smoker, though, and I would prefer a charcoal smoker/grill.

> If I remember correctly, Smokin Tex and Luhr-Jensen(sp?) had some
> camp-type smokers that were designed to be small and portable.

I found the Luhr Jensen website. Their smokers are all electric units,
which would be unacceptable for my kind of camping. (I am a tent camper
who prefers "primitive" camping areas.

Another recommendation from the BBQ list was for the Old Smokey #14
(http://www.oldsmokey.com/0210OS.html), which is billed as a "grill",
not a smoker. Even so, a couple of guys claim to have used them
successfully as smokers. It's starting to look like either the ECB
Single or the Old Smokey #14, with the advantage to the ECB Single,
since it will stack with my current ECB. Also, I've been using a
Brinkmann smoker for years and have become quite proficient with it, so
- assuming that the Single cooks essentially the same - there would
most likely be no "learning curve" with the Single.

Thanks, Marie...

Stan

What do you place your grill/smoker on? Pierre[_1_] Barbecue 19 12-06-2008 03:15 AM
Traeger Smoker/Grill Harry Moos Barbecue 2 14-09-2007 06:50 AM
Grill/Smoker???? 43fan Barbecue 15 06-12-2005 12:18 AM
Creating My Own Grill and Smoker Alan Barbecue 7 05-03-2005 03:29 PM
Smoker box for new Weber Grill Pete Barbecue 6 11-04-2004 06:11 PM