Skookum

Default American Royal for an Outsider

Hi,

This is my first post after months of lurking. I live in British
Columbia, Canada and am in the beginning stages of establishing a
business, travelling the festival/rodeo circuit up here offering
southern barbecue.

As one of my starting points I plan to attend the American Royal
competition in late September in KC. I checked out older threats on
this newsgroup and saw advice that to get the most out of it you really
need to be with a competing team. First question is whether some of the
teams might be happy to get some volunteer help and, if so, how best to
connect with entrants.

I am also wondering about other strategies for learning as much as
possible about all aspects of having a concession - equipment, sourcing
meat, techniques, etc. Any thoughts and advice on learning strategies
for the would-be barbecue travelling concessionaire would be great. I'd
love to find a willing mentor!

Thanks
Norman

Larry

On 21 Aug 2005 09:28:28 -0700, "Skookum" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is my first post after months of lurking. I live in British
>Columbia, Canada and am in the beginning stages of establishing a
>business, travelling the festival/rodeo circuit up here offering
>southern barbecue.
>
>As one of my starting points I plan to attend the American Royal
>competition in late September in KC. I checked out older threats on
>this newsgroup and saw advice that to get the most out of it you really
>need to be with a competing team. First question is whether some of the
>teams might be happy to get some volunteer help and, if so, how best to
>connect with entrants.
>
>I am also wondering about other strategies for learning as much as
>possible about all aspects of having a concession - equipment, sourcing
>meat, techniques, etc. Any thoughts and advice on learning strategies
>for the would-be barbecue travelling concessionaire would be great. I'd
>love to find a willing mentor!
>
>Thanks
>Norman

Good luck in your venture. You might try contacting Sharon Brown
with the American Royal at 816-569-4030 or email
.

Walter H. Lewis III

I recall reading just last week that the KC Barbecue society has
classes for both competitors as well as judges. they are heald
througout the country throught the year. Check out their site for more
info.

http://www.kcbs.us/

Walt

On 21 Aug 2005 09:28:28 -0700, "Skookum" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is my first post after months of lurking. I live in British
>Columbia, Canada and am in the beginning stages of establishing a
>business, travelling the festival/rodeo circuit up here offering
>southern barbecue.
>
>As one of my starting points I plan to attend the American Royal
>competition in late September in KC. I checked out older threats on
>this newsgroup and saw advice that to get the most out of it you really
>need to be with a competing team. First question is whether some of the
>teams might be happy to get some volunteer help and, if so, how best to
>connect with entrants.
>
>I am also wondering about other strategies for learning as much as
>possible about all aspects of having a concession - equipment, sourcing
>meat, techniques, etc. Any thoughts and advice on learning strategies
>for the would-be barbecue travelling concessionaire would be great. I'd
>love to find a willing mentor!
>
>Thanks
>Norman

2fatbbq

"Skookum" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>

> As one of my starting points I plan to attend the American Royal
> competition in late September in KC. I checked out older threats on
> this newsgroup and saw advice that to get the most out of it you really
> need to be with a competing team. First question is whether some of the
> teams might be happy to get some volunteer help and, if so, how best to
> connect with entrants.

More than welcome to come hang out by us!! Bring good beer, bourbon and
dishwashing gloves and will show ya the little I know--although did get 4th
at the Royal last year(in chicken)

--
see ya
buzz