Art M

Default Cooking with a time bomb? - Grill "exploded"

The force of the explosion had to come from within the grate pipe because
the walls were blown out at the seam of the stainless steel layer. I don't
see how any explanation could be fathomed where the cooking propane was the
cause of this unless it miraculously found its way into the tubing of the
grate.

The company rep said he had never heard of this happening, but they sent him
a new part.

| --in cross section this is a circle

/ \
| | --in cross section this is almost u-shaped
\ /

That's what the blow out of the seam that runs parallel to the bar on the
bottom side of the grate looks like. The bent ss was forced away from the
center of the bar. In case anyone missed the op, the bars that make up the
ss grate are at least 1/4" thick with another type of steel inside. The ss
layer wraps that, hence the seam.

--Art

"m Ransley" > wrote in message
> It did not come from the factory sealed in gas, who can say what
> happened, you dont even have a clue. Maybe the flame was blown out
> closing the lid because of? wind, poor draw, low flame and the hood
> forced it out ? and opening it again gave oxygen to the hot cooking area
> with raw gas going boom. Just a guess and possibly operator inexperiance
> or many other things, like tank valve freeze , low propane, Propane
> hose or connection leak, who knows you have to figure it out or Boom
> again, maybe bigger this time. It only a grill not a science project.

Art M

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> To me, "grate" is the surface on which the food rests, and "pipe" is where
> the gas flows. Two separate things. Which is it? If "grate", you're saying
> the food cooking surface is hollow???

Quoting myself from the op:

"We inspected it later and
found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit into
had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and then
wrapped in SS."

It's not a cooking grate, but I think it can be referred to as a grate.
Perhaps there is some technical term for this.

grate: a framework with bars... -- Mer.-Web.

I then later referred to it as a "grate pipe" because to some extent the ss
(stainless steel) is in effect a pipe with a solid bar inside and perhaps
some air space between.

> "Art M" > wrote in message
>> The force of the explosion had to come from within the grate pipe because
>> the walls were blown out at the seam of the stainless steel layer. I
>> don't see how any explanation could be fathomed where the cooking propane
>> was the cause of this unless it miraculously found its way into the
>> tubing of the grate.
>>
>> The company rep said he had never heard of this happening, but they sent
>> him a new part.
>>
>> | --in cross section this is a circle
>> |
>> / \
>> \ /
>> |

>> That's what the blow out of the seam that runs parallel to the bar on the
>> bottom side of the grate looks like. The bent ss was forced away from the
>> center of the bar. In case anyone missed the op, the bars that make up
>> the ss grate are at least 1/4" thick with another type of steel inside.
>> The ss layer wraps that, hence the seam.
>>
>> --Art
>>

>> "m Ransley" > wrote in message
>>> It did not come from the factory sealed in gas, who can say what
>>> happened, you dont even have a clue. Maybe the flame was blown out
>>> closing the lid because of? wind, poor draw, low flame and the hood
>>> forced it out ? and opening it again gave oxygen to the hot cooking area
>>> with raw gas going boom. Just a guess and possibly operator inexperiance
>>> or many other things, like tank valve freeze , low propane, Propane
>>> hose or connection leak, who knows you have to figure it out or Boom
>>> again, maybe bigger this time. It only a grill not a science project.

Doug Kanter

"Art M" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> To me, "grate" is the surface on which the food rests, and "pipe" is
>> where the gas flows. Two separate things. Which is it? If "grate", you're
>> saying the food cooking surface is hollow???

> Quoting myself from the op:
>
> "We inspected it later and
> found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit into
> had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
> looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and then
> wrapped in SS."

I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Art M

I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:

http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg

There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down when
in place in the grill.
Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.

--Art

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "Art M" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>> To me, "grate" is the surface on which the food rests, and "pipe" is
>>> where the gas flows. Two separate things. Which is it? If "grate",
>>> you're saying the food cooking surface is hollow???

>> Quoting myself from the op:
>>
>> "We inspected it later and
>> found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit
>> into
>> had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
>> looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and then
>> wrapped in SS."

> I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
> steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Doug Kanter

Too bad your brother doesn't live near the home office of the seller. Looks
to me like someone needs to be taken behind a dumpster for a tuneup.

"Art M" > wrote in message
>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>
> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>
> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
> when in place in the grill.
> Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.
>

> --Art
>

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "Art M" > wrote in message

>>> Quoting myself from the op:
>>>
>>> "We inspected it later and
>>> found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit
>>> into
>>> had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
>>> looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and
>>> then
>>> wrapped in SS."

>> I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
>> steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Goedjn

>>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>>
>> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>>
>> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
>> when in place in the grill.

Looks like the rods are constructed by wrapping a thin sheet
of (expensive) stainless around a rod of (cheap) recycled
whatever comes out of the crucible today. And you got
one with an air or water-bubble trapped inside. If the next one
doesn't blow up the first time you run it up to self-clean
temperatures, it's not likely to blow up at all.

Art M

"Goedjn" > wrote in message
>>>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>>>
>>> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>>>
>>> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
>>> when in place in the grill.

> Looks like the rods are constructed by wrapping a thin sheet
> of (expensive) stainless around a rod of (cheap) recycled
> whatever comes out of the crucible today. And you got
> one with an air or water-bubble trapped inside. If the next one
> doesn't blow up the first time you run it up to self-clean
> temperatures, it's not likely to blow up at all.

Finally, a sensible response. I imagine that could have had the force to
cause this and make a bang. I still wonder, though, whether trapped air or
water could have produced the white hot flash that we saw.

Thanks

--Art

Edwin Pawlowski

"Art M" > wrote in message

> Finally, a sensible response. I imagine that could have had the force to
> cause this and make a bang. I still wonder, though, whether trapped air or
> water could have produced the white hot flash that we saw.

Yes, especially if there was some moisture in it. It would turn to steam
and build quite a bit of pressure. What you probably saw was the flame from
the burners being blown away rather than the inside gas exploding.
Given the temperature of the grill, it could have easily risen to 330
degrees that equates to about 120 psi of steam. It took quite a bit of
pressure to open the seam the way it did.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

jdoe

>Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.<
Figures. Just one more reason mine goes back as soon as I can get a truck to
put it on.
Larry
"Art M" > wrote in message
>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>
> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>
> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
> when in place in the grill.
> Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.
>

> --Art
>

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "Art M" > wrote in message

>>> Quoting myself from the op:
>>>
>>> "We inspected it later and
>>> found that the stainless grate that the ceramic heat distributors fit
>>> into
>>> had blown out along a tube's seam leaving a gash about an inch long. It
>>> looks like the tubes were made with a more standard steel inside and
>>> then
>>> wrapped in SS."

>> I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
>> steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Art M

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> >Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.<

> Figures. Just one more reason mine goes back as soon as I can get a truck
> to put it on.
> Larry

I'm guessing this was a very rare event. It otherwise seems like a nice
grill, and there was good customer support.

--Art

jdoe

It's all shine and no substance. That's why it goes back everything inside
it has gone to rust and dust. Sure the outside is nice but I don't cook on
the outside. Every internal part has to be replaced (I mean every one) and I
don't care to own a product I need to rebuild every 12 to 15 months.
"Art M" > wrote in message

> "jdoe" > wrote in message
>> >Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.<

>> Figures. Just one more reason mine goes back as soon as I can get a truck
>> to put it on.
>> Larry

> I'm guessing this was a very rare event. It otherwise seems like a nice
> grill, and there was good customer support.
>
> --Art

George

"Goedjn" > wrote in message
> >>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
> >>
> >> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
> >>
> >> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
> >> when in place in the grill.

> Looks like the rods are constructed by wrapping a thin sheet
> of (expensive) stainless around a rod of (cheap) recycled
> whatever comes out of the crucible today. And you got
> one with an air or water-bubble trapped inside. If the next one
> doesn't blow up the first time you run it up to self-clean
> temperatures, it's not likely to blow up at all.

The OP did note that it was bought at Sams club. If anybody wants a good
example of how things are cheapened to meet wallys low price price demands
this is it.

Bill Fergusen

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:28:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>Too bad your brother doesn't live near the home office of the seller. Looks
>to me like someone needs to be taken behind a dumpster for a tuneup.

Wow! You'd be so much of a pussy to actually need to bring the person
behind a dumpster, to conceal what you were doing?

Bill

>"Art M" > wrote in message
>>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>>
>> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>>
>> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
>> when in place in the grill.
>> Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.
>>

>> --Art
>>

>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>> "Art M" > wrote in message

>>> I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
>>> steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Bill Fergusen

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:28:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> wrote:

>Too bad your brother doesn't live near the home office of the seller. Looks
>to me like someone needs to be taken behind a dumpster for a tuneup.

Wow! You'd be so much of a pussy to actually need to bring the person
behind a dumpster, to conceal what you were doing?

Bill

>"Art M" > wrote in message
>>I finally got a picture from my brother and uploaded it:
>>
>> http://server5.theimagehosting.com/i..._explosion.jpg
>>
>> There is a seam in the ss that is obscured by the glare. It faces down
>> when in place in the grill.
>> Probably was made in China. It was bought at Sam's Club.
>>

>> --Art
>>

>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>> "Art M" > wrote in message

>>> I'm just guessing about the place of manufacture, but if China, "standard
>>> steel" means recycled tanks from the Korean War era. :-)

Doug Kanter

"Bill Fergusen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:28:15 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:
>
>>Too bad your brother doesn't live near the home office of the seller.
>>Looks
>>to me like someone needs to be taken behind a dumpster for a tuneup.
>>

> Wow! You'd be so much of a pussy to actually need to bring the person
> behind a dumpster, to conceal what you were doing?
>
> Bill

You obviously have no respect for traditions established over many years in
the old country (Queens, Brooklyn, NJ). Some things need to be done
discreetly, unless you wanna end up in a new home with 2 skinny beds, metal
bars, and a roommate who's not of your choosing.

Doug Kanter