Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Gas Grill Tank Usage Time ?

Hello,

Just curious about gas usage for proposed Weber Q-320 grill which I will be
purchasing.

Realize there are lots of variables involved, but with the two burners set
at, e.g., MED, how many hours of usage from a full 20 lb tank should I
expect ?

And, is the 20 lb size the typical tank size for all of these household Deck
type grills ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Robert11" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Just curious about gas usage for proposed Weber Q-320 grill which I will
> be purchasing.
>
> Realize there are lots of variables involved, but with the two burners set
> at, e.g., MED, how many hours of usage from a full 20 lb tank should I
> expect ?
>
> And, is the 20 lb size the typical tank size for all of these household
> Deck type grills ?
>
> Thanks,
> B.

It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to about 4
gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll be burning on
medium.

Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Robert11" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just curious about gas usage for proposed Weber Q-320 grill which I will
>> be purchasing.
>>
>> Realize there are lots of variables involved, but with the two burners
>> set at, e.g., MED, how many hours of usage from a full 20 lb tank should
>> I expect ?
>>
>> And, is the 20 lb size the typical tank size for all of these household
>> Deck type grills ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> B.

> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to about
> 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll be
> burning on medium.
>
> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your currently
using.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

gilb wrote:

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Robert11" > wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Just curious about gas usage for proposed Weber Q-320 grill which I
>>> will be purchasing.
>>>
>>> Realize there are lots of variables involved, but with the two
>>> burners set at, e.g., MED, how many hours of usage from a full 20 lb
>>> tank should I expect ?
>>>
>>> And, is the 20 lb size the typical tank size for all of these
>>> household Deck type grills ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> B.

>> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to
>> about 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll
>> be burning on medium.
>>
>> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
> currently using.

Why? We have kept ours inside the bottom of the grill, behind the
doors. As long as the valve is turned off, there should not be a problem.

We lived in fifth wheel trailers for 9 years. Like most RV trailers, the
propane tanks came in pairs, in our case 40# tanks. Both were turned on
at the same time as there was an automatic change-over device so that
when one tank ran out the other would flow.

When we wrecked in the last 40+ footer, it flipped onto its left side
where the propane tanks were and nothing happened, though the local fire
department was beside themselves until the wrecker came and righted the rig.

Having lived up close and personal with propane for many years, I think
people tend to think it a lot more dangerous than it really is. JMHO

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> gilb wrote:

>>> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to
>>> about 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll
>>> be burning on medium.
>>>
>>> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

>> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
>> currently using.

> Why?

We had a second, not connected, full tank next next to the one we were using
when the flexible connection line failed\ruptured on our gas grill turning
the tank into a large blowtorch spewing an 8 foot flame against the back of
the house. The firemen were unable to approach this tank to turn it off and
we all watched our house burn while waiting for the tank to burn itself out.
When it finally stopped there was about a 10 second lapse before the
pressure relief valve on the 2nd full tank vented, caught fire and we again
stood by and watched our house burn till it finally burned itself out. I
know it was too close to the house....but most are. That's why I now have a
natural gas grill with multiple in-line shut offs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> gilb wrote:

>>> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to
>>> about 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour
>>> you'll be burning on medium.
>>>
>>> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

>> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
>> currently using.

> Why? We have kept ours inside the bottom of the grill, behind the
> doors. As long as the valve is turned off, there should not be a problem.
>
> We lived in fifth wheel trailers for 9 years. Like most RV trailers, the
> propane tanks came in pairs, in our case 40# tanks. Both were turned on
> at the same time as there was an automatic change-over device so that
> when one tank ran out the other would flow.
>
> When we wrecked in the last 40+ footer, it flipped onto its left side
> where the propane tanks were and nothing happened, though the local fire
> department was beside themselves until the wrecker came and righted the
> rig.
>
> Having lived up close and personal with propane for many years, I think
> people tend to think it a lot more dangerous than it really is. JMHO

I got to watch while a 20 pounder burned itself out on t6he rear of a
wrecked out van. (while 3 dudes and a dog were inside) Bad scene.
I don't take chances anymore.

(Recovering the dog's body tore me up worse than the ex-human's)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Robert11" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just curious about gas usage for proposed Weber Q-320 grill which I will
>> be purchasing.
>>
>> Realize there are lots of variables involved, but with the two burners
>> set at, e.g., MED, how many hours of usage from a full 20 lb tank should
>> I expect ?
>>
>> And, is the 20 lb size the typical tank size for all of these household
>> Deck type grills ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> B.

> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to about
> 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll be
> burning on medium.
>
> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

Or get a big 500 pound tank.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

gilb wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> gilb wrote:

>>> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
>>> currently using.

>> Why?

> We had a second, not connected, full tank next next to the one we were
> using when the flexible connection line failed\ruptured on our gas grill
> turning the tank into a large blowtorch spewing an 8 foot flame against
> the back of the house. The firemen were unable to approach this tank to
> turn it off and we all watched our house burn while waiting for the tank
> to burn itself out. When it finally stopped there was about a 10 second
> lapse before the pressure relief valve on the 2nd full tank vented,
> caught fire and we again stood by and watched our house burn till it
> finally burned itself out. I know it was too close to the house....but
> most are. That's why I now have a natural gas grill with multiple
> in-line shut offs.

Wow! You have a very good reason to be wary of propane tanks!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
>> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to
>> about 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour you'll
>> be burning on medium.
>>
>> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

> Or get a big 500 pound tank.

I really don't know a time, I run a 30 on my Silver B and keep a spare
in the shed. As stated, they WILL run out at the most inopportune time.

Runs out, I just switch tanks and get the dead one filled when I get
around to it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"gilb" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
> currently using.

Doesn't TFM® keep a five gallon can of gasoline next to his grill? ;-D

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
>>> It is about 93,000 Btu per gallon. A 20 pound cylinder is filled to
>>> about 4 gallons. All you need to know is how many Btu per hour
>>> you'll be burning on medium.
>>>
>>> Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

>> Or get a big 500 pound tank.

> I really don't know a time, I run a 30 on my Silver B and keep a spare
> in the shed. As stated, they WILL run out at the most inopportune time.
>
> Runs out, I just switch tanks and get the dead one filled when I get
> around to it.

As I recall, getting around to it lets the back up run out
until it is needed in the battle.

Seen it often, never done it (more than once), in a
Hurricane with stores closed......

Craig
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I won't go into the details of what caused the fire, but a gasoline
spill in a basement garage turned into a mini-inferno. Near the center
of this fire was a freshly filled 20# LP tank. While I wrestled with
our dog, trying to get her out of the house, the LP tank heated up. I
was on the opposite side of a 6" drywall partition wall when it
exploded. Shrapnel from ceramic tile were like bullets, causing a
number of little pinprick-like cuts on exposed skin. The wall itself
buckled, but the double layer of type X held to at least keep the
fireball off me. The floor above, 12' above to be exact, was buckled
and broached by the explosion.

Without the explosion, there might have been a chance of containing the
fire. The explosion ruptured a number of flammable containers, like oil
cans, and the fire was too far along before the FD got there. No human
loss, but our dog and a cat didn't make it out. LP, gasoline and other
extreme flammables belong outdoors, away from a house.

When those suckers explode, Katie bar the door.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> I won't go into the details of what caused the fire, but a gasoline
> spill in a basement garage turned into a mini-inferno. Near the center
> of this fire was a freshly filled 20# LP tank. While I wrestled with
> our dog, trying to get her out of the house, the LP tank heated up. I
> was on the opposite side of a 6" drywall partition wall when it
> exploded. Shrapnel from ceramic tile were like bullets, causing a
> number of little pinprick-like cuts on exposed skin. The wall itself
> buckled, but the double layer of type X held to at least keep the
> fireball off me. The floor above, 12' above to be exact, was buckled
> and broached by the explosion.
>
> Without the explosion, there might have been a chance of containing the
> fire. The explosion ruptured a number of flammable containers, like oil
> cans, and the fire was too far along before the FD got there. No human
> loss, but our dog and a cat didn't make it out. LP, gasoline and other
> extreme flammables belong outdoors, away from a house.
>
> When those suckers explode, Katie bar the door.

Wow... sorry to hear that nonny! Glad all of the people made it
through. Sorry about the pets!

But you raise a point to be remembered. Full or empty - these types of
things should be away from the house. I keep all that kind of thing in
my shed which is at the back of the property.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:45:49 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Nonnymus wrote:
>> I won't go into the details of what caused the fire, but a gasoline
>> spill in a basement garage turned into a mini-inferno. Near the center
>> of this fire was a freshly filled 20# LP tank. While I wrestled with
>> our dog, trying to get her out of the house, the LP tank heated up. I
>> was on the opposite side of a 6" drywall partition wall when it
>> exploded. Shrapnel from ceramic tile were like bullets, causing a
>> number of little pinprick-like cuts on exposed skin. The wall itself
>> buckled, but the double layer of type X held to at least keep the
>> fireball off me. The floor above, 12' above to be exact, was buckled
>> and broached by the explosion.
>>
>> Without the explosion, there might have been a chance of containing the
>> fire. The explosion ruptured a number of flammable containers, like oil
>> cans, and the fire was too far along before the FD got there. No human
>> loss, but our dog and a cat didn't make it out. LP, gasoline and other
>> extreme flammables belong outdoors, away from a house.
>>
>> When those suckers explode, Katie bar the door.
>>

>Wow... sorry to hear that nonny! Glad all of the people made it
>through. Sorry about the pets!
>
>But you raise a point to be remembered. Full or empty - these types of
>things should be away from the house. I keep all that kind of thing in
>my shed which is at the back of the property.

Can't do that in an apartment complex, unfortunately.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus wrote:
> I won't go into the details of what caused the fire, but a gasoline
> spill in a basement garage turned into a mini-inferno. Near the center
> of this fire was a freshly filled 20# LP tank. While I wrestled with
> our dog, trying to get her out of the house, the LP tank heated up. I
> was on the opposite side of a 6" drywall partition wall when it
> exploded. Shrapnel from ceramic tile were like bullets, causing a
> number of little pinprick-like cuts on exposed skin. The wall itself
> buckled, but the double layer of type X held to at least keep the
> fireball off me. The floor above, 12' above to be exact, was buckled
> and broached by the explosion.
>
> Without the explosion, there might have been a chance of containing the
> fire. The explosion ruptured a number of flammable containers, like oil
> cans, and the fire was too far along before the FD got there. No human
> loss, but our dog and a cat didn't make it out. LP, gasoline and other
> extreme flammables belong outdoors, away from a house.
>
> When those suckers explode, Katie bar the door.

What a horrible experience! Glad you are here to tell the story.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Nonnymus wrote:
>> I won't go into the details of what caused the fire, but a gasoline
>> spill in a basement garage turned into a mini-inferno. Near the
>> center of this fire was a freshly filled 20# LP tank. While I
>> wrestled with our dog, trying to get her out of the house, the LP tank
>> heated up. I was on the opposite side of a 6" drywall partition wall
>> when it exploded. Shrapnel from ceramic tile were like bullets,
>> causing a number of little pinprick-like cuts on exposed skin. The
>> wall itself buckled, but the double layer of type X held to at least
>> keep the fireball off me. The floor above, 12' above to be exact, was
>> buckled and broached by the explosion.
>>
>> Without the explosion, there might have been a chance of containing
>> the fire. The explosion ruptured a number of flammable containers,
>> like oil cans, and the fire was too far along before the FD got
>> there. No human loss, but our dog and a cat didn't make it out. LP,
>> gasoline and other extreme flammables belong outdoors, away from a house.
>>
>> When those suckers explode, Katie bar the door.
>>

> Wow... sorry to hear that nonny! Glad all of the people made it
> through. Sorry about the pets!
>
> But you raise a point to be remembered. Full or empty - these types of
> things should be away from the house. I keep all that kind of thing in
> my shed which is at the back of the property.

My experience happened almost 10 years ago, and the house was totaled.
The fire was from spilled gasoline and not the LP, but the LP certainly
distributed and exacerbated the fire when it exploded.

Insurance policies vary by state and by type of coverage for most
homeowners. The most common form of policy actually adds 10%
ADDITIONAL, free coverage to a storage building that is detached from
the house. For instance, if your house is insured for $100k, then a
storage shed out behind would have an additional 10%, or $10k in
coverage. Contents insurance doesn't vary though, so the contents of
the shed would be covered by the household limits. In some states and
with some forms of coverage, if you don't have a detached structure, the
10% adds back as additional house coverage, so check with an agent.

My point is that you should have some kind of shed, garage or cabinet
out away from the house to store the most combustible things like
gasoline for the mower, LP for the grill and large containers of paint
solvents. Stowing mowers, blowers, generators, pressure washers and
string trimmers there further reduces the risk of a fire or accelerating
a fire. Sometime when you're bored, take a paper and pencil and write
down how many gizmos you have in the house, basement or garage that have
just gasoline or LP in them. Camp stoves? Lanterns, generators,
pressure washers, mowers, tractors, string trimmers, chainsaws, gas
containers, grills, plumbing torches, lighters? Heck, just think about
what that little can of butane you use to refill the candles or lighter
would do in the pantry if it exploded. That's not even counting the
truck, van, car or tractors you keep in a garage. By getting them out
and away from the house, you can do a lot to reduce fire damage risk.

My present home has several balconies or covered areas. All, now, have
a fire rated ceiling, even though they're outside. The grill is out,
away from the house on its own island. The garages have fire rated
ceilings and walls, the doors to the house have automatic closers on
them and many new houses here in Las Vegas even have sprinkler systems.
That's is NOT a waste of money if you've ever had a house fire. <Grin>

Nonny

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,
wait until you see what it costs when it's free!

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote

> We lived in fifth wheel trailers for 9 years. Like most RV trailers, the
> propane tanks came in pairs, in our case 40# tanks. Both were turned on at
> the same time as there was an automatic change-over device so that when
> one tank ran out the other would flow.
>
> When we wrecked in the last 40+ footer, it flipped onto its left side
> where the propane tanks were and nothing happened, though the local fire
> department was beside themselves until the wrecker came and righted the
> rig.

No wonder you wrecked. You're supposed to be in the truck, not the trailer
when travelling.

Tongue in cheek of course,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "gilb" > wrote:
>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > Get a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

>> But don't store a second (full) tank anywhere near the tank your
>> currently using.

> Doesn't TFM® keep a five gallon can of gasoline next to his grill? ;-D

2 five gallon cans. I use them to keep the dynamite from blowing away in
hurricanes.

TFM®

Weber grill/tank level Harry Barbecue 3 26-08-2009 09:07 AM
Proper BBQ Island Construction: Put LP tank under grill? How manyvents? Eric[_9_] Barbecue 13 21-07-2008 03:41 AM
Filled LP tank gives how much avg cooking time? meatnub Barbecue 11 04-06-2008 07:13 PM
Dumb question - can I disconnect propane tank from my Weber grill? Jay Sullivan General Cooking 3 24-05-2007 04:27 AM
Gas Grill - Propane tank making funny noise [email protected] Barbecue 2 22-07-2005 02:35 PM