Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef Prices-what cut for a first-time Foreman Grill?

Here are some beef prices at Costco the last few days. Thought I'd
'SHAAAARE" instead of just filing away.

I'm using '#' to mean 'per pound' for the descrption in the first part of
the item.
I'm using '#' to mean 'the size of the package' in the last part of
description of the item.

NY steak boneless $7.99# - package of #3.74 for $29.88

Beef Rib Roaste Bone in Standing Rib USDA Choice $7.99# - package $60.64 for
7.59#

Beef Ribeye Steak Boneless Choice $8.99# - package of 3.80# $34.16

Beef Loin Top Siroin Steak Boneless $4.99# - 5.22# for package of $26.05

Beef Round Top Round Steak Choice$3.89# - package of 4.27# for $16.61

Beef Flank Steak $5.99# - package of 2.91# for $17.43

Beef Round Top Round Roast Choice $3.89# - $27.77 for 7.14#

Beef Round Eye Round Roast Choice $3.99# - package of 5.45# for $21.75

Beef Chuck Pot Roast Boneless $3.29# - package of 5# at $16.42

Beef Brisket Flat Cut Boneless Choice $3.99# - package of 3.89# for $15.52

Beef Loin Tenderloin Full Vacuum Packaged Filet Minon choice $11.99 per
pound - I don't know how big the package was/packages were.

DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
grill? No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))

Thanks.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" schrieb :

> Here are some beef prices at Costco the last few days. Thought I'd 'SHAAAARE"
> instead of just filing away.

<snip>
> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to grill?
> No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>
> Thanks.

My advice would be to buy the cheapest meat.
He doesn't know the peculiarities of the grill right now, I guess ?
If he burns the meat, it's no great loss, then.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 12:39*pm, jay > wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:34:53 -0500, Dee.Dee wrote:
>
> Buy your favorite tender cut. *I like NY strips.

I like strips best too, but for the first time, why not just go for
sirloin?

> jay

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Dee.Dee" > dropped this
>
> Is he an accomplished griller? If so, go for the "Beef Ribeye Steak
> Boneless Choice $8.99# - package of 3.80# $34.16". If this is his first
> time at grilling go for hamburgers. I assume he is accomplished, so just
> for me, ask him to do the ribeye steaks, pretty please
>
> TIA, Michael

Nawh! He's not done any grilling except on a Weber in the mid-70's. I
can't recall anything spectular about his expertise ;-)

What's your next recommendation except for hamburgers. He eats beef
medium-rare.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
> grill? No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))

Whatever he Georges, I recommend keeping a log -- temps and times for each
kind of thing he grills, while he's getting the hang of the appliance, as
an extension of the examples in the manual. Tweak until he's got a
perfect timing on each thing. Then it becomes a no-attention grill, when
he has various timings figured out. Just slap the dead animal pieces on
it, set the timer, and go make (or complete) the other stuff you want,
until it beeps completion.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 12:34�pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> Here are some beef prices at Costco the last few days. �Thought I'd
> 'SHAAAARE" instead of just filing away.
>
> I'm using '#' to mean 'per pound' for the descrption in the first part of
> the item.
> I'm using '#' to mean 'the size of the package' in the last part of
> description of the item.
>
> NY steak boneless $7.99# - package of #3.74 for $29.88
>
> Beef Rib Roaste Bone in Standing Rib USDA Choice $7.99# - package $60.64 for
> 7.59#
>
> Beef Ribeye Steak Boneless Choice $8.99# - �package of 3.80# $34.16
>
> Beef Loin Top Siroin Steak Boneless $4.99# �- 5.22# for package of $26.05
>
> Beef Round Top Round Steak Choice$3.89# �- package of 4.27# for $16.61
>
> Beef Flank Steak $5.99# - package of 2.91# for $17.43
>
> Beef Round Top Round Roast Choice $3.89# �- $27.77 for 7.14#
>
> Beef Round Eye Round Roast Choice $3.99# �- package of 5.45# for $21.75
>
> Beef Chuck Pot Roast Boneless $3.29# - �package of 5# at $16.42
>
> Beef Brisket Flat Cut Boneless Choice $3.99# - �package of 3.89# for $15.52
>
> Beef Loin Tenderloin Full Vacuum Packaged Filet Minon choice $11.99 per
> pound - �I don't know how big the package was/packages were.
>
> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
> grill? �No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dee Dee

First trial, go with the Top Round Steak... you might want to marinate
it over night in the fridge... cooked rare to medium rare, London
Broil style... excellent.

Marinade (adjust to taste):
2 cloves squished garlic
small piece squished ginger
1 ounce soy sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 glugs Heinz ketchup
1/2 cup white wine
2 Tbls orange marmalade
6 drops toasted sesame oil.

Place steak in large zip-loc with marinade, place in bowl in fridge
for 24 hours, turn once or twice. Discard marinade, grill.

If you have a decent meat grinder you can grind the marinated top
round steak to make awesome burgers, and you can make them any degree
of doneness you prefer..

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
>> "Dee.Dee" > dropped this
>>
>> Is he an accomplished griller? If so, go for the "Beef Ribeye Steak
>> Boneless Choice $8.99# - package of 3.80# $34.16". If this is his first
>> time at grilling go for hamburgers. I assume he is accomplished, so just
>> for me, ask him to do the ribeye steaks, pretty please
>>
>> TIA, Michael
>>

> Nawh! He's not done any grilling except on a Weber in the mid-70's. I
> can't recall anything spectular about his expertise ;-)
>
> What's your next recommendation except for hamburgers. He eats beef
> medium-rare.

Right now I'm pretty sold on "flat iron" steaks -- 5 minutes at 400.
$4.99/lb at my mainstream supermarket.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
> 6.121...
>
>>"Dee.Dee" > dropped this
>>
>>Is he an accomplished griller? If so, go for the "Beef Ribeye Steak
>>Boneless Choice $8.99# - package of 3.80# $34.16". If this is his first
>>time at grilling go for hamburgers. I assume he is accomplished, so just
>>for me, ask him to do the ribeye steaks, pretty please
>>
>>TIA, Michael
>>

> Nawh! He's not done any grilling except on a Weber in the mid-70's. I
> can't recall anything spectular about his expertise ;-)
>
> What's your next recommendation except for hamburgers. He eats beef
> medium-rare.

Tri-tip roast (found at Costco) rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper and
crushed garlic and let stand at room temp for an hour. Grill to medium
rare, wrap in foil and let rest for 15 minutes.

Or, bake at 450 for 25 minutes, wrap in foil and rest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
>grill? No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>
>Thanks.
>
>Dee Dee

After reading the thread I'd say to return the GF grill and go get a
Weber like you had in the 70's.

You asked!!!!

Lou <-----honest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:34:53 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
>>grill? No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Dee Dee
>>

> After reading the thread I'd say to return the GF grill and go get a
> Weber like you had in the 70's.
>
> You asked!!!!
>
> Lou <-----honest

That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
now.
You probably have a good point, tho.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

With all due respects to George Foreman, I have to say after trying 2 or
3 of the recipes in his included cookbook, the thing is a piece of
crap. Last I tried was 2 rib steaks cooked exactly like his book said
and it was horrible. The grill is either going out in the trash or to
the next garage sale!

Ssnip
>> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
>> grill? �No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>>
>> Thanks.
>>snip

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:

> That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
> now.
> You probably have a good point, tho.
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Just shovel off the snow (did that last week to BBQ a chicken) and
proceed as usual. About the only time it doesn't work in the winter is
when there is a strong wind which removes so much heat that the grill
won't get hot enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Davis" > wrote in message
et...
> With all due respects to George Foreman, I have to say after trying 2 or 3
> of the recipes in his included cookbook, the thing is a piece of crap.
> Last I tried was 2 rib steaks cooked exactly like his book said and it was
> horrible. The grill is either going out in the trash or to the next
> garage sale!
>
> Ssnip
>>> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
>>> grill? ?No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>snip

My sentiments exactly, Jim. EYE wouldn't have bought it either. DH did the
dirty deed.

Earlier I had bought another brand, which I won't name because it has a very
good reputation. There was a complete crack in the handle, making it really
dangerous to pick up. Finally I decided to call them and tell them about
it and they refunded my money. But the worse thing about it was the
configuration which made it impossible to ever clean up.

I wonder what the clean-up is like on the George Foreman -- I know there are
several styles. All I know is that I'm not going to be doing any clean up
on this contraption. -- hehehe

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:56:04 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:34:53 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
>>>grill? No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> After reading the thread I'd say to return the GF grill and go get a
>> Weber like you had in the 70's.
>>
>> You asked!!!!
>>
>> Lou <-----honest

>That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
>now.

No yard? Bad weather?

>You probably have a good point, tho.
>Thanks.
>Dee Dee

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 6:42 pm, Jim Davis > wrote:
> With all due respects to George Foreman, I have to say after trying 2 or
> 3 of the recipes in his included cookbook, the thing is a piece of
> crap. Last I tried was 2 rib steaks cooked exactly like his book said
> and it was horrible. The grill is either going out in the trash or to
> the next garage sale!

Perhaps you could use it as a waffle iron.

> Ssnip
>
> >> DH has a new Foreman grill. What might he choose for his first piece to
> >> grill? �No, it won't be the Filet, nor the roast ... ;-))

> >> Thanks.
> >>snip

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message

>>> After reading the thread I'd say to return the GF grill and go get a
>>> Weber like you had in the 70's.
>>>
>>> You asked!!!!
>>>
>>> Lou <-----honest

>>That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
>>now.

> No yard? Bad weather?
>
>>You probably have a good point, tho.
>>Thanks.
>>Dee Dee
>>

> Lou

Grilling outside is not very interesting to me. Grilling inside is not very
interesting to me, neither. :-))
Maybe it's just too passe. Good for others, can't fault it -- just not for
me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee wrote:
> "Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
>>> That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
>>> now.

>> No yard? Bad weather?

> Grilling outside is not very interesting to me. Grilling inside is not very
> interesting to me, neither. :-))
> Maybe it's just too passe. Good for others, can't fault it -- just not for
> me.

While visiting the folks over the holidays I grilled outside 4 times, in
December, in Northern Wisconsin. As long as there is no wind, things
are fine, even if the temp is barely above 0F. We did have to shovel a
path to the grill. We had various meals including tandoori-style
chicken, hot smoked salmon, beef and chicken satay, and fajitas (flank
steak). All of these are better, IMO, cooked over a real flame than via
other methods. Heck, it is just FUN cooking hunks of meat over fire.
oooh-aaah-aaah-aaah!

For the OP, my old GF grill never got hot enough to properly sear
steaks. It was pretty good for chicken breasts and seafood. I'd
recommend trying some marinated chicken breasts first -- cheap and easy
to cook on the GF. Just don't overcook! Greek-style chicken breasts,
garlic shrimp, chili-n-lime salmon fillets, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

justen said...

> Dee.Dee wrote:
>>> No yard? Bad weather?

>> Grilling outside is not very interesting to me. Grilling inside is not
>> very interesting to me, neither. :-))
>> Maybe it's just too passe. Good for others, can't fault it -- just not
>> for me.

> While visiting the folks over the holidays I grilled outside 4 times, in
> December, in Northern Wisconsin. As long as there is no wind, things
> are fine, even if the temp is barely above 0F. We did have to shovel a
> path to the grill. We had various meals including tandoori-style
> chicken, hot smoked salmon, beef and chicken satay, and fajitas (flank
> steak). All of these are better, IMO, cooked over a real flame than via
> other methods. Heck, it is just FUN cooking hunks of meat over fire.
> oooh-aaah-aaah-aaah!
>
> For the OP, my old GF grill never got hot enough to properly sear
> steaks. It was pretty good for chicken breasts and seafood. I'd
> recommend trying some marinated chicken breasts first -- cheap and easy
> to cook on the GF. Just don't overcook! Greek-style chicken breasts,
> garlic shrimp, chili-n-lime salmon fillets, etc.

The problem with the GF grills is all the food has to be the same height or
some of the other foods will only cook on the bottom side.

I have a mini GF grill that I only use the bottom grill and flip for best
results.

As far as a cut of beef, it's pretty much only a hot dog champ.

Imho,

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:27:31 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>That would be nice (I think), but grilling outside is not a consideration
>>>now.

>> No yard? Bad weather?
>>
>>>You probably have a good point, tho.
>>>Thanks.
>>>Dee Dee
>>>

>> Lou

>Grilling outside is not very interesting to me. Grilling inside is not very
>interesting to me, neither. :-))
>Maybe it's just too passe. Good for others, can't fault it -- just not for
>me.
>Dee Dee

Gottcha. To each their own I guess. If the weather here was at least
40 degrees year round I'd probably grill most of the time. I wouldn't
consider a GF grill actually grilling. (just my .02) But if I had a
nice indoor gas grill with a powerful exhaust fan like restaurants
have I'd be in winter heaven.

Lou