William R. Abbey

Default Barbeque in Gainesville

I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.

The last time that I was in Gainesville I drove all over the place and
ended up in a place near the interstate, the Mi canopy exit, I think,
that was a big disappointment. It was called Jim's but I don't think
that it was the same place that was described in this group some time
ago.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill
TigBits

"William R. Abbey" > wrote in message
> I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
> barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
> name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.

I live in Gainesville, but I've not heard of Big Jim's. The best Q I know of
here is Terrell's. He's kind of a local legend, he used to sell out of a
serving trailer in a Winn-Dixie parking lot. People have told me of waiting
for an hour just to get to order. He has expanded a little and opened a nice
little place in NW Gainesville, but he still has a couple trailers he sells
out of too. His new joint is off 39th Ave., near the interstate. 39th is the
northmost exit for G'ville off I-75 - I think it's exit 390. Coincidentally,
this restaurant is almost directly next door to Sonny's BBQ.

The phone number there is 352-335-6630 and the address is 3700 NW 91st St.,
Suite 400 E. G'ville 32606. His ribs are excellent and are what I would
recommend - he uses a blend of woods to smoke with and I've not tasted
anything quite like it anywhere. His sauces are also tasty, as are the
greens and mac & cheese. Pork, beef and chicken are available too, and are
just plain great. It's well worth a trip.

I don't work for him and I get nothing out of posting this, except for
letting the folks know about this great Q.

Enjoy!

--
TigBits
(o)Y(o)

kilikini

TigBits wrote:
> "William R. Abbey" > wrote in message
>> I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
>> barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
>> name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.

> I live in Gainesville, but I've not heard of Big Jim's. The best Q I
> know of here is Terrell's. He's kind of a local legend, he used to
> sell out of a serving trailer in a Winn-Dixie parking lot. People
> have told me of waiting for an hour just to get to order. He has
> expanded a little and opened a nice little place in NW Gainesville,
> but he still has a couple trailers he sells out of too. His new joint
> is off 39th Ave., near the interstate. 39th is the northmost exit for
> G'ville off I-75 - I think it's exit 390. Coincidentally, this
> restaurant is almost directly next door to Sonny's BBQ.
>
> The phone number there is 352-335-6630 and the address is 3700 NW
> 91st St., Suite 400 E. G'ville 32606. His ribs are excellent and are
> what I would recommend - he uses a blend of woods to smoke with and
> I've not tasted anything quite like it anywhere. His sauces are also
> tasty, as are the greens and mac & cheese. Pork, beef and chicken are
> available too, and are just plain great. It's well worth a trip.
>
> I don't work for him and I get nothing out of posting this, except for
> letting the folks know about this great Q.
>
> Enjoy!

Big Jim's place is in Mycanopi, but I don't know the exact address. I'm
sure someone here will be able to provide it for you. It's inside a store
that sells wine, beer and tourist stuff. Walk through the door and you'll
see his huge lunch counter. Good luck finding a seat.

kili

TigBits

"kilikini" > wrote in message
. ..
> TigBits wrote:
> > "William R. Abbey" > wrote in message
> >> I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
> >> barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
> >> name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.

> > I live in Gainesville, but I've not heard of Big Jim's. The best Q I
> > know of here is Terrell's. He's kind of a local legend, he used to
> > sell out of a serving trailer in a Winn-Dixie parking lot. People
> > have told me of waiting for an hour just to get to order. He has
> > expanded a little and opened a nice little place in NW Gainesville,
> > but he still has a couple trailers he sells out of too. His new joint
> > is off 39th Ave., near the interstate. 39th is the northmost exit for
> > G'ville off I-75 - I think it's exit 390. Coincidentally, this
> > restaurant is almost directly next door to Sonny's BBQ.
> >
> > The phone number there is 352-335-6630 and the address is 3700 NW
> > 91st St., Suite 400 E. G'ville 32606. His ribs are excellent and are
> > what I would recommend - he uses a blend of woods to smoke with and
> > I've not tasted anything quite like it anywhere. His sauces are also
> > tasty, as are the greens and mac & cheese. Pork, beef and chicken are
> > available too, and are just plain great. It's well worth a trip.
> >
> > I don't work for him and I get nothing out of posting this, except for
> > letting the folks know about this great Q.
> >
> > Enjoy!

> Big Jim's place is in Mycanopi, but I don't know the exact address. I'm
> sure someone here will be able to provide it for you. It's inside a store
> that sells wine, beer and tourist stuff. Walk through the door and you'll
> see his huge lunch counter. Good luck finding a seat.
>
> kili

A hint.... Big Jim's most likely NOT the Cafe Risque' that is at the
Micanopy exit - but they DO sell "tourist stuff" there also. That narrows
down the choices of stores at that exit at least!
:-)~

--
TigBits
(o)Y(o)

William R. Abbey

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:01:46 GMT, "TigBits" <JPM in a McLaren?@the
craziness.org> wrote:

>"kilikini" > wrote in message
>> TigBits wrote:
>> >
>> > I live in Gainesville, but I've not heard of Big Jim's. The best Q I
>> > know of here is Terrell's. He's kind of a local legend, he used to
>> > sell out of a serving trailer in a Winn-Dixie parking lot. People
>> > have told me of waiting for an hour just to get to order. He has
>> > expanded a little and opened a nice little place in NW Gainesville,
>> > but he still has a couple trailers he sells out of too. His new joint
>> > is off 39th Ave., near the interstate. 39th is the northmost exit for
>> > G'ville off I-75 - I think it's exit 390. Coincidentally, this
>> > restaurant is almost directly next door to Sonny's BBQ.
>> >
>> > The phone number there is 352-335-6630 and the address is 3700 NW
>> > 91st St., Suite 400 E. G'ville 32606. His ribs are excellent and are
>> > what I would recommend - he uses a blend of woods to smoke with and
>> > I've not tasted anything quite like it anywhere. His sauces are also
>> > tasty, as are the greens and mac & cheese. Pork, beef and chicken are
>> > available too, and are just plain great. It's well worth a trip.
>> >
>> > I don't work for him and I get nothing out of posting this, except for
>> > letting the folks know about this great Q.
>> >
>> > Enjoy!

>> Big Jim's place is in Mycanopi, but I don't know the exact address. I'm
>> sure someone here will be able to provide it for you. It's inside a store
>> that sells wine, beer and tourist stuff. Walk through the door and you'll
>> see his huge lunch counter. Good luck finding a seat.
>>
>> kili
>>

>A hint.... Big Jim's most likely NOT the Cafe Risque' that is at the
>Micanopy exit - but they DO sell "tourist stuff" there also. That narrows
>down the choices of stores at that exit at least!
>:-)~

Thanks very much for the help. Actually, I almost gave up my search
the last time I was up there to check out the Cafe, but the "urge" for
good "Q" won out and I continued my search. I think I will check out
Terrell's and then head for the Risque for desert. :}

Bill

Big Jim

"William R. Abbey" > wrote in message
>I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
> barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
> name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.
>
> The last time that I was in Gainesville I drove all over the place and
> ended up in a place near the interstate, the Mi canopy exit, I think,
> that was a big disappointment. It was called Jim's but I don't think
> that it was the same place that was described in this group some time
> ago.
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
>
> Bill

Well you was close but no seegar<g>
I am at the intersection of US 441 and SR234. Inside The Pearl Country
Store.
When you get to G'ville call me and I will tell you how to get here.Store#
352-466-4025, ask for BBQ. my cell is 352-318-2294.
Be looking for you.
P.S.TigBits You can call too.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

"TigBits" <JPM in a McLaren?@the craziness.org> wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > TigBits wrote:

Big Jim's BBQ
(in Pearl's Country Store)
106 US-441
Micanopy, FL 32667

Map posted on alt.binaries.food

--
Nick. To help with tsunami relief, go to: http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten Thanks ! ! !
Thomas Cormen

Big Jim, you're not in the Macintosh Grocery any more? That's where
you were last March. Beautiful town, Macintosh.

--THC

Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
Director, Writing Program Email:
Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755-3510
Big Jim

"Thomas Cormen" > wrote in message
.. .
> Big Jim, you're not in the Macintosh Grocery any more? That's where
> you were last March. Beautiful town, Macintosh.
>
> --THC

> Tom Cormen Voice: (603) 646-2417
> Professor of Computer Science Fax: (603) 646-1672
> Director, Writing Program Email:
> Dartmouth College URL:
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~thc/
> 6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
> Hanover, NH 03755-3510

Nope, sold out and retired from there. Then got offered real good money (at
least to me) to come back to The Pearl Store.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

William R. Abbey

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:50:54 GMT, "Big Jim" >
wrote:

>"William R. Abbey" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I am going to Gainesville, Florida next week and I am looking for a
>> barbeque restaurant that is supposed to be great. I think that the
>> name is Big Jim's. I am not certain.
>>
>> The last time that I was in Gainesville I drove all over the place and
>> ended up in a place near the interstate, the Mi canopy exit, I think,
>> that was a big disappointment. It was called Jim's but I don't think
>> that it was the same place that was described in this group some time
>> ago.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the help.
>>
>> Bill

>Well you was close but no seegar<g>
>I am at the intersection of US 441 and SR234. Inside The Pearl Country
>Store.
> When you get to G'ville call me and I will tell you how to get here.Store#
>352-466-4025, ask for BBQ. my cell is 352-318-2294.
>Be looking for you.
>P.S.TigBits You can call too.

Thanks Very much. Looking forward to it. I was told today that the
trip will be on the 23. I will be there Gainesville for two days and
will give you a shout for directions. Guess I did not go far enough
east when I got off the interstate and got hoodwinked by the place
right at the exit (actually I was hungry). It was a disappointment.

Bill

My Barbeque Rub Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 24 06-07-2008 05:19 AM
ENC vs WNC Barbeque Guv Bob Barbecue 9 30-09-2007 05:00 PM
Barbeque biig General Cooking 45 04-07-2006 07:13 AM
barbeque Angela Barbecue 25 06-02-2006 06:48 PM
BBQ in Gainesville FL? Barry Barbecue 10 03-11-2003 06:19 PM